Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Audio and Music Production (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Recommend me some 2022 albums +1000th album halp (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=137263)

rayword45 02-28-2016 05:28 PM

Re: Meh, let's do it again, this time for a year

Day 301: Spotify Session by Animal Collective

This sounds like it was a better show than the one I saw but live recordings aren't always my thing. Also the announcer sucks.

Best Track: The Purple Bottle
Rating: 7/10

MarioNintendo 02-28-2016 06:06 PM

Got two suggestions for you

We Like It Here, by Snarky Puppy
Sylva, by Snarky Puppy

rayword45 03-2-2016 10:11 PM

Day 302: Eraser Stargazer by Guerilla Toss

I raised my rating of Gomba Ward Reject Japan to a 10 because it's a quality album.

Another obscure release that nobody is interested in hearing my opinion of. I've been following this band for a decent few months, and it seems with every album they get poppier (structure wise, not melodically) and they get way spacier. And this time they added a lot of 80s tined funk. I wish I was talented. On both fronts, this is a continuation of the trend. Sometime I really like when they get poppy like in Eraser Stargazer Forever and Perfume, but then sometimes I harken back to the good old days of Gay Disco.

When the FUCK am I gonna see these guys live? Skipped or missed the opportunities three times, unacceptable. I can tell that this album is going to be a quick grower. It has everything I liked about Smack The Brick in an LP format. What is not to love?

Best Track: Doll Face On The Calico Highway
Rating: 7.5/10

rayword45 03-5-2016 09:09 AM

Re: Read My Fucking Reviews

I didn't know you could change the title of a thread what is this

dAnceguy117 03-5-2016 11:24 AM

eye-catching!

rayword45 03-5-2016 02:20 PM

Day 303: untitled unmastered. by Kendrick Lamar

Without even trying, King Kendrick drops one of the finest albums of 2016 thus far. This sounds like a direct extension of To Pimp A Butterfly, or even a collection of outtakes, but what a fine collection of outtakes. The instrumentals on this record are far more realized than those of TPAB, and concision results in a harder hit. I still prefer Section.80 and I wish he'd make another storytelling album but this is some good shit.

Keep the circlejerk going.

I pray Childish Gambino drops absolutely nothing this year.

Best Track: untitled 05 09.21.2014.
Rating: 9/10

Wayward Vagabond 03-5-2016 02:29 PM

that's exactly how I felt about Kendrick's new release

MooMoo_Cowfreak 03-5-2016 03:37 PM

untitled unmastered is godlike good review mate

j-rodd123 03-5-2016 05:31 PM

i still need to listen to kendrick's new album, anyone got a link? im really behind the times at finding new music sry

Wayward Vagabond 03-5-2016 05:34 PM

Spotify homie

j-rodd123 03-5-2016 05:40 PM

ok ill make an account, thank u!

wow that was easy. spotify GOAT, thanks man

rayword45 03-6-2016 12:09 AM

Re: Read My Reviews

Why did my title get censored wtf

ilikexd 03-6-2016 12:59 AM

review The Dukes of Stratosphear - 25 O'Clock (psych pop/rock)

rayword45 03-13-2016 09:26 PM

Day 304: Rhythms From A Cosmic Sky by Earthless

I'm gonna see these guys on Wednesday because I have no school Thursday and it's cheap.

I took some melatonin around 27 minutes into this bloated, jammy album and it immediately became much more grand and enjoyable and much less bloated and jammy. Is it the sleep hormones or the songs actually becoming better, the world may never know.

Best Track: Sonic Prayer
Rating: 6/10

rayword45 03-22-2016 08:49 AM

Day 305: Progression Towards Evil by Skinless (Album Choice: sonicman68)

This album is revolting and idiotic and the creators of it clearly know that, but I'm not sure if they realize they aren't funny. The vocals, for someone untrained in brutal death metal, sound like just about any other brutal death metal band. The riffs are pretty repetitive except for that surprisingly mathy and enjoyable first song. I've heard much better than this.

Where did they get those samples?

Best Track: Confines of Human Flesh
Rating: 4/10

rayword45 03-22-2016 09:26 AM

Day 306: Jerk Routine by Pile

Man I circlejerk around this band too much, but they get me through shit like no others.

The jump from this to Magic Isn't Real is both incredible and subtle. The pieces were clearly here, and at times they come together to make something special, like the incredible Haunt or Fidget. For the most part, however, this wavers between pretty average blues rock or shitty country-blues, the latter being something they practically completely dropped.

Not a bad sophomore effort but they improved exponentially from here.

Best Track: Haunt
Rating: 5.5/10

Deadlyx39 03-22-2016 11:53 AM

Killswitch Engage released a new album last week, sounds pretty good to me so far.

V-Ormix 03-22-2016 01:00 PM

Waddya think of dream theater's astonishing?

(It's rare I sit down to listen to music so I spend my time carefully, astonishing was the last thing in recent history that I listened to and no surprise to me was amazing.)

rayword45 03-28-2016 04:53 AM

Day 307: Incarnate by Killswitch Engage (Album Choice: Deadlyx39)

My school is run by fucking rape apologist assholes.

That was completely irrelevant. It's 5AM in the morning why am I listening to this? Because I wanna listen to some more 2016 shit.

I said I don't like metalcore too much but this was decent. The riffs and weird time signatures are both appreciated like a good cup of coffee. The vocals are sometimes out-of-place and kinda wimpy sounding but I can get past them. The song structures are too samey.

It's 5:45 A.M why did I wake up so early?

Best Track: Strength Of the Mind

Deadlyx39 03-28-2016 07:41 AM

Understandable. Probably 2nd or 3rd best album by Killswitch Engage. Can't tell if it's better than Disarm the Descent or not, but still a solid album imo.

rayword45 04-1-2016 08:26 AM

Day 308: Art Of Life by X Japan (Album Choice: Nick Sayaka)

Song structure isn't everything, but this is some REALLY GOOD song structuring.

Best Track: That piano part

rayword45 04-4-2016 08:04 AM

Day 309: ///Codename: Dustsucker by Bark Psychosis (Album Choice: EzExZeRo7497)

Despite being considerably different this reminds me a lot of Natural Snow Buildings due to the split vocals, chilly atmosphere and use of ambient sounds and field recordings. It's also a great album but not quite as grand as The Dance Of The Moon And The Sun (and it's also a bit jazzier).

Highly recommended, it's like the auditory equivalent of heroin on a snowy day. Why is it snowing in April?

Best Track: Shapeshifting
Rating: 8.5/10

rayword45 04-6-2016 11:10 PM

Day 310: Weezer by Weezer (Album Choice: Hazel H.)

This is referring to The Blue Album specifically. I've listened to The Green Album and Raditude in full, because I guess I'm a masochist. But these guys definitely know how to write a pop song. Just, can they write a full album? I don't know. Those albums left a really unfairly sour taste in my mouth.

Of the three songs I recognize by name, I fully and unashamedly enjoy Buddy Holly and Say It Ain't So and I forget most of The Sweater Song. These first two songs are fucking garbage, through and through. Is this considered one of their best releases? I'm not gonna look because I feel that will shape my expectations, I'm not sure if it's the red or blue one that's more acclaimed. But yeah, these songs sound like a 13 year old's first garage band, except now that 13 year old is 25 and going through his quarter life crisis and digging up his childhood. Just awful.

It gets better after that, especially the singles. They're not deep or anything, but they're extremely catchy, which is what power pop should be. Oh yeah, I do recognize The Sweater Song. They also can write a good, slightly emo riff for sure. Or they could up until whenever they started losing their marbles.

An okay album. The singles are the best songs by a wide margin.

Best Track: The Sweater Song

rayword45 04-7-2016 07:22 AM

Day 311: Sleep Cycle by Deakin

A slight conflict when rating this. First and foremost, this DESTROYS both Centipede Hz and Painting With and we don't even need to talk about any recent solo releases. These are some very solid pop songs despite their long length, spacy, catchy, varied and just experimental enough to please a shallow psychedelic trip for its short running time. Not a single one of these tracks is bad, which is amazing considering how inconsistent Animal Collective has always been and probably will continue to be.

Those live tracks are a complete fucking waste of time. Self-indulgent pseudo-tribal vaguely racist mindless bullshit and this is coming from someone who enjoyed Here Comes The Indian as well as many more experimental releases. He sounds like he wants to be Wayne Coyne after fucking Miley Cyrus to the sounds of a bootleg Shpongle. Just awful, awful stuff. However, I'm not sure if this is actually part of the album, considering the Bandcamp release only has the studio tracks. They might just be bonus tracks.

Eh screw it, I'm considering them bonus tracks. Don't listen to the live tracks, please, they're AWFUL. But listen to this album/EP. It's good.

Best Track: Good House
Rating: 7/10 (If we were wasting our time it would be a 5 at best)

rayword45 04-16-2016 09:17 AM

Day 312: Empty As Me by Pucker Up

These guys are much better live.

Best Track: Bodies
Rating: 6.5/10

rayword45 04-16-2016 09:54 AM

Day 313: The Ugly Organ by Cursive (Album Choice: Lord of Sushi)

I've never seen these guys live.

Best Track: The Recluse

rayword45 04-26-2016 10:29 PM

Day 314: Sweet Nothings by Dog Fashion Disco (Album Choice: DoctorSatan)

I enjoy Adultery quite a bit but not gonna lie, these guys managing to raise over $90000 for this album and its sequel is pretty goddamn impressive for a band of their caliber.

There are two main problems with this album. One, it's too damn long and two, the quality control is lacking as a result. A lot of these tracks are pretty unnecessary, ESPECIALLY that horrendous rap song and Untitled which was very blatantly made for the sake of fulfilling their Indiegogo pledges. Stick it on the deluxe next time.

This is the poppiest they've ever gotten and the most varied they've ever been, and it's nice to hear them moving forward even after an 8 year hiatus (although it's not really BETTER than Adultery it seems like an advancement nonetheless). Flawed but good. The jazz and pop tracks are the best ones here. Fuck you Christgau.

Best Track: Tastes So Sweet

rayword45 04-28-2016 12:07 AM

Day 315: Rifts by Oneohtrix Point Never (Album Choice: Spenner)

I listened to this whole album while cramming more AP Psychology. I must be the lowest GPA ever to take 5 AP tests in one year. Oh well.

This is good study music. I paid so little attention that I'm surprised I have a favorite track, but this is way too fucking long (2012 edition though the earlier edition still sounds like it's way too fucking long). It's mostly very nice though.

Best Track: I Know It's Taking Pictures From Another Plane (Inside Your Sun)
Rating: 6/10 (If you made, hell, a 60 minute album (and maybe you can stretch that to be slightly longer) consisting of the best tracks from this album you'd have a masterpiece)

choof 04-28-2016 01:01 AM

replica will 4evr be my favorite 0pn album

go listen to my new album

rayword45 04-28-2016 02:56 AM

Hey buddy here's a promise your album is reserved for my next cram session which is probably tomorrow.

I know nothing about this album, but I hope that this isn't gonna be retardedly long because goddamn Rifts.

Deadlyx39 04-28-2016 10:56 AM

So I made a Rock Band survey and it seems the song most requested to be in the game is Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. I'm not a huge Dream Theater fan, but there has to be a reason why so many people want a 45 minute song in Rock Band.

hi19hi19 04-28-2016 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadlyx39 (Post 4427281)
a reason why so many people want a 45 minute song in Rock Band.

lolz + epenis for doing well on it + jacking off to how different and "artsy" it is

ilikexd 04-28-2016 09:10 PM

I've got some more recommendations if you want:

Coil - The Ape of Naples (post-industrial)
Talk Talk - Laughing Stock (post-rock)
Fishmans - Long Season (dream pop, neo-psych)
Television - Marquee Moon (art punk)

rayword45 04-28-2016 11:33 PM

Day 316: Klexos EP by Rø (Album Choice: choof)

Hey, it made me study, so that's an automatic plus one. These drones are all rather bubbly in texture almost like Basinski's Watermusic. Very pleasurable stuff to listen to. A little more variance would be nice, but I suppose some appreciate more homogeneity in their ambient.

Best Track: To me it really just sounded like one track

Deadlyx39 04-29-2016 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hi19hi19 (Post 4427307)
lolz + epenis for doing well on it + jacking off to how different and "artsy" it is

Yeah that sounds about right. That's how 2112 by Rush is right now, and that song is only half as long as Six Degrees.

rayword45 05-2-2016 07:13 PM

Day 317: She Sleeps, She Sleeps by Fire!

I really like dark jazz it seems. More than that modal shit... shoot me.

Their big band orchestra shit is better.

Best Track: She Penetrates the Distant Silence, Slowly

Rapta 05-2-2016 07:20 PM

these reviews seem opinionated

.-.

thanks for indirectly showing me she penetrates the distance slowly

rayword45 05-8-2016 04:19 PM

Day 318: A Moon Shaped Pool by Radiohead

Well... It's better than The King Of Limbs.

Best Track: The Numbers

rayword45 05-15-2016 08:10 PM

Day 319: Memories In Widescreen by 36 (Album Choice: Contrapasso)

I'm done with APs FOREVER. And I got into a college I can afford for the fall.

This album is appropriately beautiful.

Best Track: After Time
Rating: 8/10

Deadlyx39 05-15-2016 10:56 PM

I have a feeling you're only making these short ones to get to 365 quicker.

rayword45 05-16-2016 06:05 AM

Uh yeah I don't think I'm hiding that fact lol

It is less goal-oriented though, more trying to listen to more new music without writing.

TheRapingDragon 05-18-2016 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4426745)
Day 314: Sweet Nothings by Dog Fashion Disco (Album Choice: DoctorSatan)

This is way too generous when compared to their first three albums.

And it wasn't really a hiatus when you consider that they released three albums between 2007 - 2013 as Polkadot Cadaver. Same style of music. Same warped lyrics. Same core band members including the main guitarist, vocalist and songwriter.

I was so pissed when I had to miss a gig over in London where it was Dog Fashion Disco headlining with Polkadot Cadaver as the support.

MarioNintendo 05-18-2016 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarioNintendo (Post 4412110)
Got two suggestions for you

We Like It Here, by Snarky Puppy
Sylva, by Snarky Puppy

:( got ignored hard

rayword45 05-18-2016 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarioNintendo (Post 4432925)
:( got ignored hard

Shit takes time but I'll appease you tonight

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRapingDragon (Post 4432923)
This is way too generous when compared to their first three albums.

And it wasn't really a hiatus when you consider that they released three albums between 2007 - 2013 as Polkadot Cadaver. Same style of music. Same warped lyrics. Same core band members including the main guitarist, vocalist and songwriter.

I was so pissed when I had to miss a gig over in London where it was Dog Fashion Disco headlining with Polkadot Cadaver as the support.

Yeah I know about Polkadot Cadaver (I might actually prefer a greater quantity of their albums to DFD's) and it did always make the breakup seem kinda nebulous but they do co-exist right now it seems so whatever difference two members makes.

Also when you say first three albums are you talking about the ACTUAL first three or Anarchists-Adultery? I haven't given much of anything pre-Anarchists a listen besides a track or two but I actually did prefer this album to pretty much everything DFD and PC related besides Adultery which is really something of a black sheep favorite in my digital collection.

TheRapingDragon 05-18-2016 11:25 PM

Quote:

Yeah I know about Polkadot Cadaver (I might actually prefer a greater quantity of their albums to DFD's)
Ah. It was your quote about Sweet Nothings being the poppiest they've ever gotten that made think about Polkadot Cadaver. That's exactly what I thought about Sex Offender, though still a great album.

Quote:

Also when you say first three albums are you talking about the ACTUAL first three or Anarchists-Adultery?
I didn't know they had albums prior to Anarchists Of Good Taste. Why didn't I know that? Least I have more of their music to check out now.

Quote:

I actually did prefer this album to pretty much everything DFD and PC related besides Adultery which is really something of a black sheep favorite in my digital collection.
Not going to knock your opinion, Adultery is a good choice. I think my own favourites are Committed to a Bright Future and PC's Purgatory Dance Party.

rayword45 05-25-2016 03:12 PM

Day 320: We Like It Here by Snarky Puppy (Album Choice: MarioNintendo)

The word "tonight" was very poor choice on my behalf.

Some of this stuff is way too Phishy. Some of it is excellent stuff, bliss in free-form, but songs like Tio Macaco and Jambone feature way too much dicking around and sound aimless as a result. Since this is a live recording I'm not sure how much is written and how much is improvised but either way I'd like to see a more focused effort which still maintained the experimentation. Just less funky-smelling noodles is all.

Genius comes in sporadic bursts.

Best Track: Sleeper

rayword45 05-30-2016 03:25 PM

Day 321: Blumenkraft by Ott (Album Choice: alin)

High school is over. It was fun while it lasted.

Just kidding it sucked.

This album was recommended to me because I like Shpongle. I heard about this guy before and almost saw him when he came to Boston but chose instead to go to Krill and Pile. This album is pretty damn good but that's something I have no regrets over.

I swear these are the same samples that Shpongle uses. Very chilled out, dubby stuff yet very engaging. I get visuals from this music without taking any drugs, the vibes are just plain great.

A repeat listener for sure.

Best Track: Smoked Glass And Chrome

MarioNintendo 05-30-2016 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4434638)
Day 320: We Like It Here by Snarky Puppy (Album Choice: MarioNintendo)

The word "tonight" was very poor choice on my behalf.

Some of this stuff is way too Phishy. Some of it is excellent stuff, bliss in free-form, but songs like Tio Macaco and Jambone feature way too much dicking around and sound aimless as a result. Since this is a live recording I'm not sure how much is written and how much is improvised but either way I'd like to see a more focused effort which still maintained the experimentation. Just less funky-smelling noodles is all.

Genius comes in sporadic bursts.

Best Track: Sleeper

Thanks for the review! If you like more focused experiences, maybe Sylva by the same band would be of interest.

Deadlyx39 06-1-2016 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4435524)
High school is over. It was fun while it lasted.

Just kidding it sucked.

Saving this quote for use in exactly one year. Also I've got some more albums for you if you need some more material. Just thought of these so there might be overlap from previous reviews you might have done.

Reise, Reise - Rammstein
Slipknot - Slipknot
Death Magnetic - Metallica
Tomb of the Mutilated - Cannibal Corpse
Timewarp - Christian Muenzer
2112 - Rush

rayword45 06-3-2016 12:28 PM

Day 322: Opus At The End Of Everything by The Flashbulb (Album Choice: Tokzic)

I like The Flashbulb. I have no idea why he's so consistently disrespected in elitist IDM circles (it's not like his quality control is any worse than Autechre or Squarepusher or anyone else), but whatever.

On that note, he definitely does shit out too much stuff and needs to trim his albums down quite a bit. What's good is VERY good here, but the amount of filler is just ridiculous. There's maybe 30 or 35 minutes of fantastic, emotional IDM here and then the rest is just more of the same without hitting you as hard.

I have the same goddamn complaint for every album. Why are they all so fucking long now? I don't need all this filler. Fuck you Eminem.

Best Track: Arrival to an Empty Room
Rating: 5/10

rayword45 06-12-2016 11:24 AM

Day 323: Long Season by Fishmans (Album Choice: ilikexd)

When was the last time I reviewed something Japanese? I'm so fucking lazy and sporadic that I honestly do not remember if it was recently or months ago.

This album is very airy. That's the best adjective I can think of to describe it. It's also gorgeous, the plethora of sounds used really makes for an engaging single track.

OK back to college work.

Best Track: Uhhh....

rayword45 06-14-2016 12:01 AM

Day 324: The Glowing Man by Swans

Last time I reviewed a Swans album, nobody knew about the whole rape scandal. I'm gonna try to separate art from artist but if you have been living under a rock when it comes to noise or post-rock, read up now. And stop supporting this guy financially. I deliberately bought second-hand tickets because I'm not giving this guy a cent of my money.

For the record, it's probably still horribly immoral to add to his head count at the concert but whatever, maybe I'll join in on some heckling.

Anyways, onto the music, this is definitely in the same vein as the other reunion Swans albums, but it's a lot more drone and a lot less aggro, with ambient textures and folky instrumentation galore. As a result, it feels more repetitive than To Be Kind but this actually works in the album's favor. Two hours passes by much faster when the drones soothe you rather than agitate you. Almost nothing here is grating or boring. I don't like to compare albums since benchmarks are almost always stupid, but if we were to compare the longest track on this album, the title track, and Bring The Sun/Toussaint L'Ouverture from To Be Kind, the shitty latter track overstayed it's welcome within the first 10 minutes of its sloppy Umphrey's McIndustrial crescendocore nonsense. The Glowing Man, on the other hand, uses much more repetition in spite of a perceived lack of structure, creating a hypnotic atmosphere. It also avoids the cliche of crescendo-core that was all too prominent in the last few Swans albums and relies instead on abrupt volume and texture shifts, with less corny vocals pervading everywhere. Basically, this track is fucking unique, and that makes it a lot more enjoyable than more cliche Explosions In The Sky-esque dime-a-dozen post-rock tracks.

There's more to an album than one song, but to do even MORE comparison (ugh), the ordering on this album is phenomenal. We start with a quick 1-2 punch, move through floaty hypnosis, and end with Finally, Peace which is a good ending even if it seems somewhat trite at times. The artwork is... still terrible but whatever. If there's one really conspicuous flaw, its the vocals. Gira was never a particularly strong singer, but at least in projects like Angels of Light or many tracks from Soundtracks For The Blind the vocals fit the music well. Here, it sounds like Gira's trying to emulate an angsty 90s grunge-crooner and it's horribly cheesy all the time. Luckily, this is not as big a problem as it could be, because most of the time this album stick to instrumental bits.

If this is truly the end of this incarnation of Swans, it was a damn fine cup of coffee. Wait what? What the fuck am I saying?

Good ending to a good band with a shitbag frontman, but hey that's rock music for you.

Best Track: The Glowing Man

rayword45 06-16-2016 12:09 AM

Day 325: Awake by Tycho (Album Choice: Arkuski)

...Ehhh, it wasn't that bad but it got kinda samey after only 37 minutes. Good enough of a review for me.

btw high school graduate official fuck my shcool

Best Track: Apogee

TheRapingDragon 06-16-2016 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4441174)
...the whole rape scandal. I'm gonna try to separate art from artist but if you have been living under a rock when it comes to noise or post-rock, read up now. And stop supporting this guy financially...Good ending to a good band with a shitbag frontman

I don't want to derail your thread too much but I'd advise you, and anyone really, to avoid jumping to conclusions and instantly demonizing a person. Just as there are rapists who lie about raping, there are people who lie about being raped.

To report it on Facebook was, to me, the wrong thing to do. Facebook is about getting attention and inciting a mob mentality. The right thing to do would be to file a report with the police and have them investigate. Unless she does this, there's no concrete evidence and neither party can be seen as telling the truth.

rayword45 06-16-2016 09:00 AM

Again, I'll avoid derailing the thread by offering my concrete opinion.

Grimm said she was raped. Gira said "I DON'T KNOW THIS WOMAN" and hurled many unsavory terms at her. Grimm said that that was bullshit. Only THEN did Gira basically admit that he fucked her but tried to claim it was consensual.

Everything about that story makes me thing Gira is a sketchball.

Regarding reporting on Facebook first, the police have proven themselves time and time again to be useless (see: Brock). I do think that they're still the first people you'd want to talk to but we must account for post-traumatic stress disorder at the very least.

Also the viability of any claim being false is really low, 98 rapes go unreported for every 2 false rape reports. I certainly do not doubt they happen, but typically a false rape claim is HIGHLY unsubstantiated such as the case with that shitty Bright Eyes dude. Shitty music but BLATANTLY falsely accused.

rayword45 06-17-2016 11:26 AM

Day 326: Demon Days by Gorillaz (Album Choice: Jade F.)

I've heard a few singles from this album. But not much else. Are these guys, or is it guy, still relevant anywhere?

I love eclectic albums, and this album is fairly eclectic, but I don't love it. There are some wonderful tracks on here, but it's honestly not grabbing my attention the whole way through. The ideas all seem to be great but the songwriting itself varies from super catchy to piss-poor. The features are mostly fantastic but they usually can't save the song itself from being boring. And somehow, in spite of the aforementioned eclecticism, this album gets very samey very fast.

50 minutes of wasted talent with a good number of shining spots. I wonder if Blur somehow manages to be more boring than the bad parts of this album.

Best Track: Feel Good Inc
Rating: 4.5/10

TheRapingDragon 06-19-2016 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4442106)
Are these guys, or is it guy, still relevant anywhere?

Music wise it's all Damon Albarn but it was technically co-founded with Jamie Hewlett, who does all the visuals. They've become too inactive to remain relevant, don't think they've released anything in years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45
I wonder if Blur somehow manages to be more boring than the bad parts of this album.

Blur were huge in the 90's. I still remember their whole Britpop rivalry with Oasis and Pulp, good times for pop music.

Snapps 06-20-2016 02:07 AM

music game related but really tho top album of whenever it came out

wac - 音楽

rayword45 06-23-2016 09:00 PM

Day 327: Copia by Eluvium (Album Choice: Trogdor!!!)

Serene and peaceful
I really suck at haikus
Not top ambient

Best Track: Prelude For Time Feelers

rayword45 06-25-2016 04:17 PM

Day 328: Inches by Les Savy Fav (Album Choice: FoJaR)

This is a singles compilation. That reminds me of the fact that I desperately need to listen to Terminal Tower before I see Pere Ubu live. I also have very high expectations for this, because a singles compilation should literally be nothing but hit after hit after hit (and some B-Sides but I don't excuse a song for being shit just because it's a B-Side).

Oh wait, this is BACKWARDS chronology? Why the fuck would they do that? This has started off extremely strong to the point where I was wondering how these guys had everything in place so damn well from the start but this isn't the start at all. But it is good, catchy, raucous post-punk. Let's see if they started off better or worse.

This album is definitely the sound of a band regressing. This isn't to say their earlier songs, or the songs that come later on this album, are bad at all. They're still mostly enjoyable although some are a bit too experimental for their own good (what the hell is this Reformat bullshit?). However, the first 5 tracks were such a joyous kick in the earteeth that everything else pales in comparison. The major exception to this is Our Coastal Hymn which is absolutely fantastic.

I wonder if I'd like this album more in reverse track order. Nonetheless, a strong collection of songs.

Best Track: Meet Me In The Dollar Bin

choof 06-25-2016 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4427603)
Day 316: Klexos EP by Rø (Album Choice: choof)

Hey, it made me study, so that's an automatic plus one. These drones are all rather bubbly in texture almost like Basinski's Watermusic. Very pleasurable stuff to listen to. A little more variance would be nice, but I suppose some appreciate more homogeneity in their ambient.

Best Track: To me it really just sounded like one track

oh yeah I totally forgot I asked you to do this lol
thanks bub, nice to see that you can hear the basinski influence

rayword45 06-26-2016 09:13 AM

Day 329: Terminal Tower by Pere Ubu

I wasn't lying when I said I needed to listen to it.

I had a pretty decent review written but lost it to a shitty phone. Let's make this succinct. This is more consistent than The Modern Dance mostly because it only features one aimless dicking piece. The rest of the songs are either rockers, boring "dark" songs or really fucked up pop. It's still not totally consistent but it's good.

Best Track: Final Solution

rayword45 07-2-2016 01:52 PM

Day 330: Friend and Foe by Menomena (Album Choice: Shikari)

Started off nice and strong but this one got old pretty fast. Good textures, decent songwriting but the whole thing is just a bit too samey.

Best Track: Muscle'n Flo
Rating: 5.5/10

rayword45 07-7-2016 05:33 PM

Day 331: Wildflower by The Avalanches

Shoot me because my trippy idiocy prefers this to Since I Left You .

Best Track: Colours

rayword45 07-9-2016 09:29 AM

Day 332: Stalker by Sufjan Stevens

I still can't tell if this is real or not. But I can tell that it's FUCKING HORRIBLE. I love lo-fi music, I love amateurish music, I love garage rock, I love noise rock, I listen to the music of teenagers on DXM and I THINK THIS IS HORRIBLE. I understand that "The Definitive Album" was a joke whether or not this is real, but Jesus fucking Christ this sounds like the product of a paraplegic trying to play 3 instruments at once using his feet, none of which he actually knows how to use, while singing lyrics he wrote to the girl he wants to hatefuck.

Belongs back in the dumpster.

Best Track: None
Rating: 1/10

Spenner 07-9-2016 11:02 AM

You got through all of Rifts good job l0l

Nice reviews thus far.

rayword45 07-9-2016 09:00 PM

Day 333: Dub Housing by Pere Ubu

I was warned that I probably wouldn't like this one because I didn't like the more self-indulgent bits of The Modern Dance which is probably why I put this one off for so long.

Boy, I'm glad people were wrong. I enjoy this at least as much as The Modern Dance if not more. The rockers are less based in surf and punk and instead are full of weird, creative ideas. Navvy is a joyous satirical ditty loaded with energy, On The Surface is a pop anomaly, Caligari's Mirror is one of the most unique and hyperbolic quiet-loud-quiet songs I've ever heard and I Will Wait is a warped anthem. Most of the rest of the songs are much more subdued, and honestly sound like they're trying to be spooky but really aren't. On that note of negativity, they're infinitely more enjoyable than the experiments from the debut besides maybe Thriller! because they all sound like they're trying to portray a legitimate atmosphere, not some weird stupid art-fart-postmodern-postgood bullshit like Sentimental Journey.

Definitely worth relistens.

Best Track: Navvy

rayword45 07-10-2016 12:42 PM

Day 334: A Love Supreme by John Coltrane (Album Choice: Dan W.)

I may not be good at reviewing jazz but I'll keep doing it anyways. Actually I'm not good at writing reviews as a whole when I put little effort into it but who cares?

This is really two pieces, not four. Compared to Kind Of Blue, probably the closest album I've reviewed, this actually does cook rather than bore. In its freeform structure you can hear real soul in these instruments with a very laidback, cool vibe. Bursts of energy pepper throughout, but the whole experience is very smooth. It's not as bursty or energetic as The Clown but its good nonetheless.

Wow this review was just a bunch of comparisons.

Best Track: The second side

rayword45 07-15-2016 10:35 PM

Day 335: Ujubasajuba by Kairon; IRSE! (Album Choice: HitlerWasRight)

I hate it when people think they're funny yet they're just tired.

I find it funny that the singer is named Niko and I can't tell if they're a man or woman in certain parts of this album. Otherwise, this basically sounds kinda like a post-rock version of slightly post-Isn't Anything My Bloody Valentine. I can get lost in these long song structures, which are hypnotic yet dynamic.

And like Loveless the rest of the album is still very good but absolutely nothing touches Valorians.

Okay back to the college grind.

Best Track: Valorians

rayword45 07-16-2016 12:06 AM

Day 336: Wrong by Nomeansno (Album Choice: Dvaerak7Korgo)

A minor dilemma: I'm trying to binge this college work so I can enjoy my summer a little bit more with my two jobs and volunteer work but at the same time I feel like this album deserves a full review with actual effort put into it. What to do, what to do...

Okay, let's focus on the college work and just listen to it twice. Maybe I'll be able to write more that way.

I haven't even kissed a girl in a full year now. What the fuck why am I so pathetic?

Actually I'm postponing this one for the time being. Please ignore everything I wrote above.

Day 336: Infinity by Cloakroom (Album Choice: Dvaerak7Korgo)

I just listened to a shoegaze album but this one is fundamentally different in that it is

A. Emo
B. Concise
C. Not nearly as good
D. Uh, hi-fi?

On second thought, I'm struggling to think of this as shoegaze. The chime-y guitar parts certainly aren't, and the fuzzy ones are way too crunchy and not ethereal enough.

None of this matters.

Best Track: Bending

rayword45 07-17-2016 11:42 PM

Day 337: Wrong by Nomeansno (Album Choice: Dvaerak7Korgo)

hey guys this album was good and im gonna listen again also idc about writing a good review lololol fuck college work already

Best Track: The Tower

Deadlyx39 07-18-2016 08:42 AM

Spicy meme

choof 07-25-2016 02:45 PM

hey, psychopath records just signed a new artist and you should listen to her new ep

rayword45 07-27-2016 11:46 PM

Day 338: Krill by Krill

So I've decided that I'm probably gonna continue to write occasional reviews (same pace I'm currently at) after I hit 365, because it's nice to listen to more music. Anyways, coming back to my hometown scene to appreciate this band some more. Posthumous EP release. Let's do this one song-by-song.

Meat - A slab of pop perfection right here. These guys could've been big. 2/2
Jubilee - Mathy riff rock mixed with emotion and slabs of noise walls. A joyous 4 minutes. 2/2
The Void - Attempted Swans copy? Goes from mindlessly repetitious riffing and boring structures for the first 5 minutes, then explodes into absolute glory. What once felt like lazy songwriting turned out to be what MOST post-rockers (hi there Michael Gira) strive to write. 2/2
Happy - Energetic punk anthem. Like the last song, it meanders here and there but that explosion at the end (even better than The Void's!) makes for a very, very strong 2/2
Billy - The longest song on the EP, this one definitely meanders too much. It's a bit less repetitive than Tiger but lacks that bubbly atmosphere and the ending leaves a lot to be desired. 1/2

I don't think these guys ever performed ANY of these songs live. So fresh music, yay! The sound of this EP is the sound of a band who was just getting better and better. A Distant Fist Unclenching had some boring parts in places but was loaded with gems. This EP is just gem after gem after gem. A shame these guys broke up, maybe one day I'll see these songs played live.

And yes, I do like the singer's voice.

Best Track: Happy

MixMasterLar 07-30-2016 07:42 PM

This still a thing?

This is probably the next CD I am going to buy. Already know it and enjoy it but hell you can review it too.

Also listen to Foreigner's Double Vision because holy shit Foreigner is still really good guys I swear

rayword45 07-30-2016 10:58 PM

Day 339: Homeworks by Evil Needle (Album Choice: korny)

Synthy Sunshine is atmospheric bliss while still being chill enough to maybe rap to. Techno gorgeousness. The chill, boom bap atmosphere permeating throughout this release in spades is nice and the bleep-bloop tracks add flair. Very good contrast.

Red and Simple doesn't sound like it'd make for a very good rap, nor does Heaven. What the fuck is this sunshine-y shit? That is NOT instrumental hip-hop, this is WAY more house than anything. Don't get me wrong I love house let's fucking dance. Genres are for losers. Last quarter of the album brings back that chill boom-bap shit.

The atmosphere is ever so slightly schizophrenic on this release, but I DEFINITELY have to get back to this one. I can hear the potential so well it hurts. And it's short so it's bingeable.

...Are these reviews even making SENSE anymore?

Best Track: Synthy Sunshine

rayword45 08-8-2016 10:22 PM

Day 340: Ritual Spirit by Massive Attack

What the fuck were they thinking when they chose these features? They chose absolute nobodies that made every single song on this EP worse. If you're gonna be forced to choose nobodies due to a lack of budget, choose GOOD nobodies.

Like Take It There, that's the best song on the EP but the vocals sound like bootleg Serge Gainsbourg if he was famous for speedballs instead of alcohol.

Besides the vocals, this is pretty run of the mill dark trip-hop. I like the atmosphere but it's nothing I think deserves any real admiration.

Best Track: Take It There

IamMe90 08-10-2016 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4459474)
Day 339: Homeworks by Evil Needle (Album Choice: korny)

Synthy Sunshine is atmospheric bliss while still being chill enough to maybe rap to. Techno gorgeousness. The chill, boom bap atmosphere permeating throughout this release in spades is nice and the bleep-bloop tracks add flair. Very good contrast.

Red and Simple doesn't sound like it'd make for a very good rap, nor does Heaven. What the fuck is this sunshine-y shit? That is NOT instrumental hip-hop, this is WAY more house than anything. Don't get me wrong I love house let's fucking dance. Genres are for losers. Last quarter of the album brings back that chill boom-bap shit.

The atmosphere is ever so slightly schizophrenic on this release, but I DEFINITELY have to get back to this one. I can hear the potential so well it hurts. And it's short so it's bingeable.

...Are these reviews even making SENSE anymore?

Best Track: Synthy Sunshine

Nice choice by Korny. I love the shit out of Evil Needle, he's way too under the radar for how good his stuff is.

If you haven't listened to anything else by him, Mood is a great album.

too bad about the massive attack EP tho - I've been looking forward to listening to it but haven't gotten around to it yet.

rayword45 08-17-2016 09:28 AM

Day 341: Yank Crime by Drive Like Jehu (Album Choice: noname219)

I hope I can manage to do 24 more albums before my first college class. Looking through these reviews is kinda weird (like who the fuck reads their own book?) but I think I made it easier by never even trying in the first place. Now those 2013 reviews, ohoho I was a little self-congratulatory bastard back then. 15 and lonely, now I'm 18 and lonely. Whatever. It's interesting to see my slow (d)evolution over the years express itself in writing.

This is a true classic right here. Apparently it defined emo, except now emo sucks. What we have here instead of crybaby bullshit is a load of good skronky, angry punk tunes. This is what emo should be. Not My Chemical Bullet For My Suicide Squad or whatever the fuck.

Best Track: Here Comes The Rome Plows

rayword45 08-20-2016 08:10 PM

Day 342: Finest Hour by Submotion Orchestra (Album Choice: WSCB)

This is not an orchestra. This is not dubstep. This is trip-hop. 7 members does not an orchestra make, Godspeed You! Black Emperor be god damned (and I'm sure I'm making a mistake or two somewhere in this sentence, somewhere).

I really don't understand why people these days feel like their albums need to be 60 minutes or longer. Especially with a genre as often repetitive as trip-hop, and your jazzy instrumentation does not make you all that unique.

I'm being an asshole, this isn't bad music at all, in fact it's quite hypnotic with its tasteful instrumentation, deep throbbing bass and sexy vocals. The problem is that they seem so keen on creating a dark psychedelic atmosphere that they pretty much let every song meld into one, and I'm not talking about gapless playback (which is not part of this album). Exceptions do exist in the title track and a couple of others to an extent but not really.

Nothing here is bad, nothing stands out, this is one hell of a slow burn but in the end it's all the same to me anyways. Man I fucking hate college homework.

Best Track: All Yours