Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Audio and Music Production (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Recommend me some 2022 albums +1000th album halp (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=137263)

Trogdor!!!! 11-5-2015 08:11 PM

Re: Meh, let's do it again, this time for a year

You're still doing this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4370914)
Day 232: Virgins by Tim Hecker

I still listen to Harmony in Ultraviolet at least every other week or so. That album is goddamn gorgeous, and has encouraged me to see this dude live if he ever comes to Boston (or wherever I go to college).

On that note, what the fuck is this shit? Half of the songs sound like he's taking a good ambient track and just banging some piano nonsense over it, and another sizable chunk sound like the bastard child of Boards of Canada and Merzbow. There are, of course, a few good tracks in here but goddamn I came in expecting beauty and left feeling like this was a hunk of bullshit that took like 20 minutes to make.

I'm not even in a crappy mood, man.

Best Track: Radiance
Rating: 4/10

I will literally fight you.

rayword45 11-5-2015 09:31 PM

yeah this is basically my log so I have something to update my RYM every few weeks/months

Day 233: Simulacrum by John Zorn

Is this by John Zorn, or is it by Simulacrum? Meh who gives a shit. I'm seeing these guys, or this guy, next Friday at a museum, likely with a friend who's into a lot of cool jazz from the 50s and whatnot.

This'll be fun to see live, although I wonder if my friend shall enjoy himself. This is mostly a metallic, wanky mess except for The Divine Comedy which is really quite beautiful, but on that note it's a FUN metallic, wanky mess.

Best Track: The Divine Comedy
Rating: 7/10

rayword45 11-13-2015 10:56 PM

Day 234: Art Angels by Grimes (Album Choice: David H.)

I saw Simulacrum today, but John Zorn himself didn't conduct any music, he just came on stage to introduce the band and talk about his composing process, then promptly left the band to play his pieces. Does that count as seeing a Zorn show? Either way, the show was a good watch, though I wish it would've been longer at 70 minutes, and I kinda wonder what ONE song with vocals would sound like.

Anyways, David bugs me about this album every effing day so I guess I have to listen to it. I don't know too much of what to expect, except this isn't yet another Depeche Mode ripoff or so I hope.

Some of these songs are total trash. For example, Kill V. Maim... Is she trying to sound like some J-Pop star or something? Read that last sentence with a stutter, it's necessary to convey my emotions. SCREAM is clearly trying to be weird but just annoys, and Venus Fly is just gross. There's a bunch of charming pop songs here but this is one inconsistent collection of songs.

Best Track: Realiti
Rating: 5/10

rayword45 11-15-2015 06:46 PM

Day 235: Montage of Heck: The Home Recordings by Kurt Cobain

They called this a Kurt Cobain solo album. I call this utter trash.

Best Track: Do-Re-Mi (Medley)
Rating: 2.5/10

rayword45 11-21-2015 08:27 PM

Day 236: Trading Basics by Palm

I saw these guys a couple of months ago and they effing rocked. This debut came out a couple of weeks ago but up until now I've been either too busy or too lazy to give it a listen.

Now that I'm finally listening, this album isn't nearly as good as their show was but there are still a good amount of rhythmic, catchy atonal songs. Somewhat hit-or-miss (and the Sonic Youth worship could alienate some) but what works works pretty damn well.

Best Track: Crank

rayword45 11-21-2015 10:02 PM

Day 237: Triptunes by Blitz Lunar (Album Choice: Trogdor!!!)

This is not a very trippy album but I bet it'd be fun to trip to, especially for someone like me who has a lot of Nintendo nostalgia. Some of these songs (Comfort Zone, Child Play Zone, Ego Bubble Zone) are beautiful, others inconsequential, but it all evokes way too many childhood memories for me to give it less than a 7. I'll give it a 7.

Best Track: Comfort Zone

rayword45 11-21-2015 10:55 PM

Day 238: Rust in Peace by Megadeath (Album Choice: Tokzic)

This is considered one of the greatest thrash metal albums of all time? This is some cartoony camelshit. Even if you cut out the vocals, this doesn't scream "I'm special", this is just wanky.

Best Track: Hanger 18

rayword45 11-22-2015 07:10 PM

Day 239: Scientist Rids the World of the Evil Curse of the Vampires by Scientist

Duuuuuuuuuude

Best Track: The Mummy's Shroud
Rating: 7.5/10

rayword45 11-22-2015 09:21 PM

Day 240: East Side Story by Squeeze (Album Choice: Gus V.)

The only new wave band I listen with any sort of consistency is Devo unless you count The Cure. The genre experiments here are mindless honky-nk filler but the convention-adhering songs are catchy little pop tunes, if a bit dated with those 80s synths. Good songwriting on board.

Best Track: F-Hole
Rating: 6.5/10 (borderline 7 but those filler experiments are trash)

rayword45 11-23-2015 07:47 PM

Day 241: Smack The Brick by Guerilla Toss

I've missed these guys 3 times when they were in town, due to laziness, tiredness, and them canceling a festival. I've only heard one song of theirs (which is on this EP) but I've heard that they put on a fantastic show. Ah well, I'll see them eventually I'm sure.

Anyways, this is a great little snippet of noisy synthy weirdo punk, but the last two songs blow the first two away with a 12-gauge. The funkier these guys are, the better.

Best Track: Etqueeny

rayword45 11-24-2015 08:09 PM

Day 242: Lucky Leaves by Krill

I probably should've listened to these guys' whole discography a little earlier considering their final show was a month ago, but whatever they mostly played songs from their latest so it's all good.

This album is not as good as A Distant Fist Unclenching. This album is shorter yet more frontloaded, and I'd say that longer song lengths fit these guys better. Onto the next release.

Best Track: Purity Of Heart
Rating: 6/10

rayword45 11-24-2015 09:07 PM

Day 243: Steve Hears Pile in Malden and Bursts into Tears by Krill

Actually, contrary to what I said in that last review, I think this is the peak of their all-too-short career. 4 great DIY guitar pop songs with energy and a sense of humor and then signs of their more ambitious approach on their final album with Fresh Pond. This one is all killer, no filler, which makes sense since it's an EP.

Best Track: Turd
Rating: 8.5/10

rayword45 11-24-2015 11:28 PM

Day 244: Alam No Hris by Krill

Yep, now I'm finished with their discography. These guys definitely got better as they got on. Besides the unappealing lo-fi recording (and I love lo-fi usually) these songs certainly seem less focused than their later albums. All of the gems are marred by such poor production quality (it's not charmingly shitty like The Mountain Goats or Guided By Voices, it's just unnecessary), and then the mindless drifting isn't any more charming when it's recorded on tape. It sounds like these guys wanted to be a lot more anthemic or directly pop in the beginning, and there's a lot of weird factors like group chants, country tinges and unnecessary background vocals that all luckily got cut out (for the most part) in further releases. Just to drive my whiny point home, listen to Solitaire. That is some fantastic songwriting going on there, and it sounds like their signature groove, but the recording makes this sound like some crappy garage band randomly struck songwriting luck. Alright enough jerking off on this issue.

I'm now done with this band's discography. To sum it up, this band's RYM page is all effed up. How is it that their final album, their best album by a good margin has the lowest rating? How does something like this have a higher average rating than Steve Hears Pile in Malden and Bursts into Tears? Some bullshit going on over there.

Best Track: Solitaire
Rating: 4.5/10

rayword45 11-25-2015 01:23 PM

Day 245: Nadir by 4mat (Album Choice: Crazyjayde)

Meh, I see the kind of victorious adventure Earthbound-kinda vibe this guy went for but it only works in small parts, the rest is just dull and often too modern to evoke nostalgia which is 40 percent of what I look for in chiptune (brostep sections?). Pretty uncaptivating minus a few songs, though it may fare well with repeated listens.

Best Track: Vein (parts 1 and 2)

rayword45 11-30-2015 08:32 AM

Day 246: These Open Fields by The Flashbulb (Album Choice: WSCB)

Speaking as a fan of Kirlian Selections, this one seems A LOT more scattershot, and a lot more like he just slapped a bunch of songs together instead of thinking of an album as a cohesive whole. There are some beautiful tracks, don't get me wrong, but this is too long and too inconsistent. I say these words worded differently a lot, don't I?

Best Track: I Wish I Had Died That Day

rayword45 12-4-2015 03:43 PM

Day 247: Prom King by Skylar Spence

Anyone hear that new Animal Collective single? It's basically saccharine trash but I kinda like it in a "this is dumb fun" way.

Anyways, I saw this guy at Boston Calling. He was good. This album is pretty good, the instrumentals don't hold up to the Saint Pepsi days but that's fine, and the untrained vocals are charming. Would love to dance to this.

Best Track: Prom King

rayword45 12-6-2015 12:36 AM

Day 248: Drinking Songs by Matt Elliott (Album Choice: Crazyjayde)

This is a cool collection of sad psychedelic folk songs with some electronic influences. Atmospheric as hell, but the lyrics leave something to be desired, and that last track is a complete waste of time after the first 7 minutes or so. If you shorten it to that, this is a much better 53 minute album. But this a keeper nonetheless.

Best Track: The Kursk
Rating: 6.5/10

rayword45 12-6-2015 02:10 AM

Day 249: Wide Angle by Hybrid (Album Choice: XCV)

Well actually, Wide/r Angle was requested but fuck me if I can't be bothered to listen to 3 goddamn hours of music, half of which is live or alternate versions.

This sounds retro as hell to me, probably because ITG nostalgia. These are some good tracks overall. I have nothing to say it's 3:15 AM and I'm tired as hell.

Best Track: Beachcoma

rayword45 12-6-2015 06:59 PM

Day 250: The Age of Adz by Sufjan Stevens

Man, it is taking me ages to get through this guy's stuff because his albums are all ass long for some reason. This isn't as good as Illinois but it is better than Michigan and Carrie & Lowell. It's way too long, the electronic stuff only works about half the time with this guy's sissy-ass voice and it gets pretty repetitive. But it's still not bad.

Just too fucking long.

Best Track: Get Real Get Right

rayword45 12-7-2015 08:55 PM

Day 251: The Parallax II: Future Sequence by Between The Buried And Me (Album Choice: master q60)

These guys are very good with their riffage, and their technicality only rarely seems superfluous or wanky. Unfortunately, good riff doesn't immediately translate to good song. These guys need to work on their writing chops (or maybe they already had them, seeing how earlier albums have better reviews). Also 74 minutes of metalcore is too much for me.

I still might see these guys live for the hell of it.

Best Track: Astral Body
Rating: 5.5/10

rayword45 12-9-2015 10:14 PM

Day 252: Jane Doe by Converge (Album Choice: noname219)

As a person who doesn't particularly care for metalcore, I've gotta say this was a pretty damn good album.

Do I need to say more?

Good riffs and guitar tones, I thought the singer was a woman, technical work without coming off as wanky, blah de blah, emotional content is good, songwriting is done well (time signatures man) and the length is perfect. If I make a dick joke here it wouldn't be funny. But then I guess I just implied one.

Best Track: Phoenix In Flight

rayword45 12-13-2015 10:02 PM

Day 253: EARTHMASS by EARTHMASS (Album Choice: squeesfan)

Yesterday I saw Between The Buried And Me. They didn't play White Walls.

This is a pretty decent album... EP... Whatever. Needs to be shorter regardless of whichever it is. I'd like to hear a full album from these guys lest it not contain too many 20 minute songs.

Best Track: Spire

rayword45 12-17-2015 07:56 PM

Day 254: Tracing Structures by Terminal11 (Album Choice: Crazyjayde)

I'm trying to listen to as many 2015 albums as possible before the end of the year. This is literally the only album I've got on my list of requests that was released in 2015, which makes sense since most requests were made in the summer of 2014.

If you actually read these OR EVEN IF YOU DON'T recommend some of your favorite or most hated 2015 albums. I'll probably review them, breaking my earlier limit of 10 albums a person.

Anyways, I dig this guy, and I like the funky acid style this album has, not to mention it's a perfect length. However, there are no obvious highlights and it does get pretty samey.

Best Track: Tracing Structures though not by a wide margin at all

rayword45 12-17-2015 08:31 PM

Day 255: Exercises in Futility by Mgła

This is the 7th best album of 2015? This is some corny bullshit.

Best Track: The 6th one is the closest to sounding good
Rating: 3.5/10

rayword45 12-17-2015 09:16 PM

Day 256: Viet Cong by Viet Cong

I've never listened to Women because I have no sex life. Thus, this album is held to no standards. And I like it a ton! The drums/drum loops on this album are phenomenal as is the use of repetition, the fuzz and noise levels are both gloriously psychedelic, they can pull off long songs without getting boring and instead of being front-loaded it's backloaded. I don't know if that's good or bad but it's at least fresh!

I'm losing my standards of judgement rapidly... That's a lie I never had any lol.

Best Track: Death or March of Progress
Rating: 8/10

Surt 12-17-2015 10:07 PM

2015...Umio & Xyqph - FLOAT and Vospi - STOLEN VIP were both pretty choice. If you don't mind doubling up on artists, Caravan Palace - <I°_°I> was also good.

While we're on the subject, mind swapping out my Metome - Phreatic Surface request for Metome - OPUS Cloud?

xVaLoRx 12-17-2015 11:02 PM

squarepusher - go plastic

rayword45 12-18-2015 05:40 PM

Day 257: Dry Food by Palehound

In another spur of the moment event in my bizarre life, I decided I'm gonna go see this lady in less than two hours. Convenient that she has a 2015 album.

Based on the tags and punk respect I was expecting more energy, but other than the first track this is a rather lowkey affair. Fuzz, reverb and acoustic guitars all make their way in here but in very laidback arrangements, and the best way to describe this woman's voice is slumberly. I just invented an adverb.

It's quite good, albeit a tad brief but this kind of album will require repeated listens to see if it's of substance. A pleasant first impression is good though!

Is the title a Folk Implosion reference? If so add a bonus point.

Best Track: Cinnamon

rayword45 12-18-2015 06:42 PM

Day 258: FOUR by Mini Dresses

Tonight's openers are too generic and too cutesy, even considering the title.

Best Track: Center Of A Room

rayword45 12-18-2015 07:00 PM

Day 259: THREE by Mini Dresses

Tonight's openers are too generic and too cutesy, even considering the title. Also they barely count as local.

Best Track: Other Ones

rayword45 12-21-2015 07:46 AM

Day 260: Simple Songs by Jim O'Rourke

This guy isn't a Canadian? Somehow, these jazzy jangly pop songs gave me the idea that he comes from north of this shitty country, but I guess not. Good arrangement skills though.

Best Track: Half-Life Crisis

rayword45 12-21-2015 09:23 PM

Day 261: Purpose by Justin Bieber (Album Choice: Jonathan V.)

Believe remains one of the worst fucking albums I've ever heard and I would not be sad if I found that the the master tape had been destroyed as well as every copy in existence, digital and physical, followed by announcement of Justin Bieber's death via safari accident in Wisconsin. I'd seriously rather drop a gram of diphenhydramine while watching the Star Wars Holiday Special on loop strapped to a chair made of mayonnaise and horse feces than listen to that album. Well actually, no I wouldn't, but you get the picture. HORRIBLE.

Contrastly, this album isn't so bad. It's still bad, but it's more of a boring, "why am I listening to this" bad than "OH GOD MAKE IT STOP MAKE IT STOP MAKE IT ST" kind of bad.

Best Track: What Do You Mean?

rayword45 12-22-2015 07:41 AM

Day 262: STOLEN VIP by Vospi (Album Choice: Surt)

This makes me think of In The Groove 3. I wish that game had been officially released, because I'm one of ten people who prefers awkward technical charts to 3 minutes of 280bpm 16th stream. This album is... Okay I guess. It sounds like Vospi. Some of the tracks are really nice, some sound like they belong in a video game, probably because they do. That's not necessarily a bad thing but I rarely listen to VG soundtracks so fuck you I'm biased.

Best Track: empathy (total trust mix VIP)

rayword45 12-24-2015 03:14 PM

Day 263: Flood Dosed by Guerilla Toss

These guys veer closer and closer to space rock with every release. This is good hypnotic stuff but I would prefer shorter songs with a greater quantity.

Not very festive.

Best Track: Ritual In Light

rayword45 12-24-2015 04:09 PM

Day 264: You're Better Than This by Pile

This album is sorely lacking in emotive rockers, which is easily what these guys do best. There's no Prom Song, there's no Don't Touch Anything, the closest things are Mr. Fish and Appendicitis, both of which pale in comparison to the aforementioned two. There's a lot more punk energy than previous albums but I'm not as fond of those tracks in general, although it is admittedly best executed here.

Not very festive.

Best Track: #2 Hit Single

rayword45 12-24-2015 09:41 PM

Day 265: Old King, New Trash Fire by Lil Brow Wow

OH MY GOD THIS IS THE BEST MIXTAPE I'VE EVER HEARD HOLY SHIT EVERYONE NEEDS TO DOWNLOAD THIS OH MY GOD THIS IS SO AMAZING DOWNLOAD IT when it comes out OH MY GOD THOSE BEATS OH MY GOD THOSE LYRICS OH MY GOD THEM FEATURES OH MY GOD THAT FLOW

EVERYBODY DOWNLOAD when it comes out YOU WON'T REGRET IT

THIS IS SO GODDAMN GOOD ITS MAKING MY MIND EXPLODE AAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

very festive bro, that Baby Grizzly can rap

BEST TRACK: ALL OF THEM but especially Booty *****s
RATING: 10/10

MarcusHawkins 12-24-2015 09:51 PM

I think we have our first ever 10/10 in this thread!
You've found the album of albums, man!!

rayword45 12-24-2015 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarcusHawkins (Post 4387535)
I think we have our first ever 10/10 in this thread!
You've found the album of albums, man!!

I also gave a 10/10 to Swag Ain't Cheap by Young Daquan and retrospectively gave a 10/10 to The Dance Of The Moon And The Sun by Natural Snow Buildings.

Considering most of my 5/5s on RYM have personal meaning to me Natural Snow Buildings get mad props.

rayword45 12-26-2015 03:41 PM

Day 266: Welcome to JFK by Chinx (Album Choice: David H.)

This guy is dead but all I can ponder when I listen to this is whether or not I should find his name offensive or not.

I'm conflicted, because as an album this doesn't work at all. It's ridiculously samey and repetitive, and there was no need to make Die Young 7 minutes. I was bored by the fourth track but on that note, I recognize this guy had good consistency and all of these tracks individually would hold up to the club. Headphones no, bass system yes.

...eh.

Best Track: The Other Side

rayword45 12-26-2015 06:35 PM

Day 267: Garden of Delete by Oneohtrix Point Never

I really like this guy's aesthetic. The vaporwave tinges aren't cheesy but legitimately nostalgic in an early Windows kinda way, as well as the acid influence. Plus, the album remains gripping throughout. Keeper.

Not very festive, and Christmas is over.

Best Track: Mutant Standard

rayword45 12-27-2015 01:09 PM

Day 268: Speedin' Bullet 2 Heaven by Kid Cudi

This is purportedly the worst album of 2015 by average rating. But just wait 20 years when Cudi has become a hermit or dead, and this will be reappraised as an artistic masterwork, the sound of a man slowly losing his shit, akin to Third/Sister Lovers. With hilariously inadequate takes on atmospheric art rock (The Nothing and Amen), intellectually superior prose such as "Her vagina is moist and warm" and "No more chicken sandwiches" and some of the most timeless riffs to ever exist (think like half of these songs are one chord) this has all the signs to become a lost classic.

On that note, how cash strapped is Mike Judge?

Best Track: Adventures

rayword45 12-27-2015 11:48 PM

Day 269: Holding Hands With Jamie by Girl Band

I was gonna impulse see these guys earlier this month but they canceled.

Now I definitely have to see them.

Best Track: Paul

rayword45 12-30-2015 01:11 AM

Day 270: Surf by Donnie Trumpet & The Social Experiment

Am I crazy if I like this more than To Pimp A Butterfly? I actually listened to this one more than once, and I have no real taste for jazz but this is a great album, loaded with variety and color everywhere.

Best Track: Sunday Candy
Rating: 9/10

rayword45 12-30-2015 05:26 PM

Day 271: I Changed A Lot by DJ Khaled

I've never listened to Khaled before this (though I literally just added him on Snapchat) but he should either change back or change again, because this is complete fucking garbage. It has nearly every flaw of Speeding Bullet 2 Heaven and none of the humor.

Best Track: No
Rating: 1/10

rayword45 01-7-2016 01:10 AM

Day 272: Dead Since Middle School by Puzzle Mansion

This is some good stuff. Lo-fi, crazy riffs played with loads of sludge and humor. I wish I was cool enough to get into basement shows.

Best Track: GOBBLED BY FUX >:)

rayword45 01-8-2016 12:43 AM

Day 273: The Lord of Rage by OG Maco (Album Choice: David H.)

I would like to tell you that The Orb puts on a better, trippier show than Infected Mushroom. On that note, however, you should totally see both or either given the chance.

This is my first 2016 album both listened to and reviewed. Due to songs like U Guessed It and FUCKEMx3 my expectations were remarkably low (not that those songs aren't good fun), but I'm glad to say this wasn't completely horrible. The dude's lyrical skills aren't great but they've definitely improved tenfold. Production is more or less equivalent to former tracks but arrangements have gotten a little more complex. This dude may actually be on the way to great things.

Top 10 albums of 2015 because I listened to so fucking few

1. Speedin Bullet 2 Heaven
2. Surf
3. To Pimp A Butterfly
4. Trading Basics (this goes up to an 8.5/10)
5. A Distant Fist Unclenching (this goes up to an 8/10)
6. Divers
7. Holding Hands With Jamie
8. Sometimes I Sit And Think, And Sometimes I Just Sit
9. I Don't Like Shit, I Don't Go Outside
10. Prom King

Best Track: I Am Legend

rayword45 01-10-2016 02:00 PM

Day 274: The Catastrophist by Tortoise

I made a mistake in my last review, this is the THIRD 2016 album I'm reviewing, because Old King, New Trash Fire dropped this month.

EVERYBODY GO LISTEN TO THAT MIXTAPE NOW.

So yeah, having never listened to them I know these guys two ways.

A. People say they're a good comparison to Slint (no)
B. I mix them up with Pelican (because animals)

I fell asleep after track 4, which is actually pretty indicative of the quality of the music. It's not bad but there's nothing special about it. It's mostly instrumentals, sometimes beautiful but mostly cold and boring.

Also, I feel like practically every song has at least one unnecessary instrument, and that instrument is usually the synths. Hot Coffee is is a great example, because if it didn't have those completely superfluous keys it'd be a great minimalist rock track. As it stands, eh? A bit corny. Gesceap is special in that the instrument that should be removed is that annoying droning guitar but I don't think the track would be much better without it.

Not a good introduction at all, but it seems the fans concur. Boring and underwhelming.

Best Track: Hot Coffee (whyyyy)

rayword45 01-10-2016 11:34 PM

Day 275: Ostrich Vacation by Palm

Yeah... These guys REALLY need those melodic vocals. Despite being rougher around the edges the instrumentation here fits the same locked-noise-riff style as Trading Basics but this album just... sucks due to the absence of vocals in most of them. These songs basically amount of minutes upon minutes of THE SAME DAMN RIFF OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER and the last song is them retuning their instruments.

Here's to improvement with time!

Best Track: Dime
Rating: 3/10

Dvaerak7Korgo 01-11-2016 01:50 AM

Wow, this is really impressive. I went through the whole thread and read the ones that piqued my interest. How was it seeing John Zorn?

Also, your Shaggs review hit me in the feels. Idk if this means much to you, but as a 21yo schmuck who's constantly around musicians, I'm sure you'll find your people if you keep going to shows and keep making more music. High school is really a clusterfuck of identity confusion and hormone-driven egotism, but I'm sure there are a few cool, self-aware people who will dig you. After high school, it seems it's slightly--if not loads--easier to find humble-yet-cultured people who genuinely like you for who you are. Sort of makes the other adult shit more tolerable. Anyway, that's enough condescending blab from me.

I couldn't tell from your spreadsheet whether you needed more recs, but if you do, here ya go. If not, no warries m8.

Xiu Xiu - A Promise (experimental noise pop)
Savages - Silence Yourself (noisy post-punk)
Fugazi - The Argument (noisy post-punk)
NoMeansNo - Wrong (fun, heavy prog punk)
King Krule - 6 Feet Beneath The Moon (indie jazz pop)
John Frusciante - The Empyrean (psych indie rock)
Chris Potter - Imaginary Cities (modern third stream)
Lantlos - Melting Sun (gazey-doomy-proggy-psych metal w/clean vox--a departure from their earlier blackgaze stuff)
Botanist - VI: Flora (green metal huehue)
Cloakroom - Infinity (heavy slowgaze)

I tried to keep it interesting. Hope things go well for you man! :)

rayword45 01-11-2016 09:34 PM

Thanks for the kind words, I'm always looking for more recommendations even if I don't get to them all in the end.

Day 276: Blackstar by David Bowie

After almost a year of repeated listens, I'm upping my rating of Harmony In Ultraviolet to a 10/10, making the fourth 10/10 from this collection. Congratulations on my oh-so-important approval Tim Hecker. That means two out of four 10s I've given out are to drone albums (the others being trap mixtapes), but I swear I'm not some ambient freak... That's not even a bad thing why do I feel the need to specify this?

This dude just died. This album was released like two days before he died. I've never listened to his music before not because I'm anti-dadrock but because I'm lazy and I don't like MOST glam I've listened (most glam being... Bon Jovi). I'm not gonna be nice to this album just because he's recently deceased but I suppose I should give my respects. There they are.

Dear god, the mixing on this album is absolute TRASH. Are those drums and vocals meant to sound spacey? They sound fucking cheap and not in a pleasant way, like the budget for the equipment was in the double digits or something but they didn't want to admit it. Guitars? Who needs to hear them? That saxophone is really sexy but it sounds vaguely muffled. This whole album sounds like it went through just one level of compressor, enough to make it annoying but nothing else.

Remaster this damn album, because these songs are actually pretty good. They're over-the-top and a bit long but I cannot deny a good songwriter when I hear one. There are some seriously catchy choruses in here and great arrangements horribly marred by this production.

Rest in peace, hopefully to celebrate your legacy comes a remastered boxset.

Best Track: Girl Loves Me
Rating: 6/10 (could go up as much as 2.5 points with a remaster, but I'm not sure until that happens)

rayword45 01-13-2016 04:48 PM

Day 277: Los Angeles by Flying Lotus (Album Choice: korny)

When The Quiet Comes was the first and last Flying Lotus album I've listened to and that was 2 and a half goddamn years ago. My how times flies. I remember that album being pretty chill so that's why I chose this one, I need something to match this cold urban winter night.

And... not a bad choice, even if not the best one possible. This seems more linked to turntablism than that other album and I think I like this direction better. Except I barely remember that last album. Whatever. Good album. I also like that the songs are short enough to not overstay their welcome but long enough to build up an atmosphere. Keeping this one for sure.

Best Track: Comet Course

rayword45 01-14-2016 07:47 PM

Day 278: Gay Disco by Guerilla Toss

I will estimate my chances of seeing this band before I go to college as being around 90 percent. I'm honestly pretty glad their original bassist quit since it means I'm spared of penis in the face.

Every album of theirs seems to vaguely tackle a different genre. This one is freeform jazz. I like a lot better when they go with more of a funk-pop route because

A. Focusing on one structure allows a song to build up and get really good
B. The good parts are too short
C. (This may not be the jazz influence but) Vocals are more shrieky and more grating than usual

Any time a good riff is heard, which is really quite often, is disappears too soon or is overlaid with overbearing screams. It's still a decent album but I much prefer their later directions.

Best Track: Trash Bed

rayword45 01-17-2016 02:01 PM

Day 279: We Stay Together by Andy Stott (Album Choice: Spenner)

Very good, very danceable, very psychedelic, very well-produced, very good use of samples, very I don't wanna write

Best Track: Posers

rayword45 01-17-2016 04:22 PM

Day 280: All That We Know by Larry And His Flask (Album Choice: noname219)

This album is TOO GODDAMN LONG. By normal album standards it's pretty average but a folk punk release should be concise because you can only hear a banjo/trumpet combo for so long before getting annoyed.

Otherwise this is a pretty fun release, though I'd like a tad bit more anger in the songs. Definitely want to see these guys live.

Best Track: Manifest Destiny

noname219 01-17-2016 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4396672)
Definitely want to see these guys live.

Quote:

This album is TOO GODDAMN LONG.
Also true.

rayword45 01-18-2016 01:08 PM

Day 281: Good News for People Who Love Bad News by Modest Mouse (Album Choice: Gus V.)

I had tears in my eyes from the second song (which is the first real song). However those tears came from yawning.

That sentence sounds way meaner than I intended it to, I'm just really tired. I thought I had never listened to this band before, but I definitely at least recognize Float On. That song sucked when I was 6.

Again, unnecessarily mean. I hated pretty much all music when I was 6, didn't listen to my first album until I was like, 12 I think.

So, to be properly mean, this is pretty decent indie rock, but no better than decent. The lyrics and arrangements are okay, but nothing special, and when they get really countryish it's somewhat cringeworthy.

Best Track: Blame It On The Tetons

rayword45 01-18-2016 09:37 PM

Day 282: Mirages by Tim Hecker

This is a very dark album, and it's too mesmerizing to study math to.

Best Track: Incurably Optimistic!
Rating: 8.5/10

rayword45 01-20-2016 07:42 AM

Day 283: Profane by Svart Crown (Album Choice: DoctorSatan)

These guys are best when they go slow and sludgy, but otherwise they're pretty repetitive.

Best Track: Revelation: Down Here Stillborn

rayword45 01-23-2016 07:16 PM

Day 284: Fever by Sleepy Sun (Album Choice: Shikari)

Pretty damn spotty
Good songs are mesmerizing
Meh songs are boring

Best Track: Marina

rayword45 01-23-2016 08:04 PM

Day 285: Bloodstream Sermon by Jefre Cantu-Ledesma (Album Choice: Contrapasso)

Pretty decent drone
Why am I doing haikus?
Because I'm lazy

Okay actually, this album deserves a LITTLE bit better because there is so little out there about it right now. The title makes this sound like it should be heavier, but otherwise this is a pretty nice duo of drones. BLOODSTREAM SERMON I is significantly better than BLOODSTREAM SERMON II though, since the latter peters off at the end.

And that's all I can really say. Hard to judge when the music barely changes.

Best Track: BLOODSTREAM SERMON I

rayword45 01-25-2016 09:26 PM

Day 286: Tago Mago by Can (Album Choice: ilikexd)

Experimental?
The first half is very good
The second is not

Best Track: Helleluhwah

Jonlovesddr 01-26-2016 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dvaerak7Korgo (Post 4394964)
Wow, this is really impressive. I went through the whole thread and read the ones that piqued my interest. How was it seeing John Zorn?

Also, your Shaggs review hit me in the feels. Idk if this means much to you, but as a 21yo schmuck who's constantly around musicians, I'm sure you'll find your people if you keep going to shows and keep making more music. High school is really a clusterfuck of identity confusion and hormone-driven egotism, but I'm sure there are a few cool, self-aware people who will dig you. After high school, it seems it's slightly--if not loads--easier to find humble-yet-cultured people who genuinely like you for who you are. Sort of makes the other adult shit more tolerable. Anyway, that's enough condescending blab from me.

I couldn't tell from your spreadsheet whether you needed more recs, but if you do, here ya go. If not, no warries m8.

Xiu Xiu - A Promise (experimental noise pop)
Savages - Silence Yourself (noisy post-punk)
Fugazi - The Argument (noisy post-punk)
NoMeansNo - Wrong (fun, heavy prog punk)
King Krule - 6 Feet Beneath The Moon (indie jazz pop)
John Frusciante - The Empyrean (psych indie rock)
Chris Potter - Imaginary Cities (modern third stream)
Lantlos - Melting Sun (gazey-doomy-proggy-psych metal w/clean vox--a departure from their earlier blackgaze stuff)
Botanist - VI: Flora (green metal huehue)
Cloakroom - Infinity (heavy slowgaze)

I tried to keep it interesting. Hope things go well for you man! :)

chris potter is one of the best instrumentalists currently alive

rayword45 01-28-2016 02:27 PM

Day 287: Love Streams by Tim Hecker

Compared to the rather cluttered Virgins, this may be one of Hecker's sparest albums, and that's considering the fact that it includes vocals. Guided mostly by single-tone synthlines, this album doesn't even come close to the emotional depths of Harmony in Ultraviolet but it's at least a step towards innovation.

It wouldn't be nearly as mesmerizing to hear this in a church though. In fact some tracks might be able to pass off as REGULAR religious music.

Best Track: The mildly accurately titled Live Leak Instrumental

rayword45 01-30-2016 12:01 PM

Day 288: Sweet Nothings by Plini (Album Choice: Gradiant)

I feel unmoved.

Best Track: What just happened?

rayword45 02-5-2016 06:15 PM

Day 289: Urban Flora by Alina Baraz & Galimatias (Album Choice: Antonio A.)

This was a very situational album at 4AM, so I don't remember a lick of it but I do remember being thoroughly chilled and drifting on a path that seemed pleasant enough.

Best Track: I have no idea lol

rayword45 02-7-2016 01:35 AM

Day 290: Wrestling Moves by Native (Album Choice: ChikaraGuy)

I can't even tell if I've reviewed this album before or not. All of this midwest emo sounds the same to me. Supposedly this has more of a math rock influence, but the guitar tone and vocal style are damn near identical to every other emo release I've reviewed.

I'm depressed yet this doesn't do it for me.

Best Track: Pocket Jingle
Rating: 4.5/10

rayword45 02-7-2016 02:08 AM

Day 291: Phreatic Surface by Metome (Album Choice: Surt)

This is rare, a release that actually leavese wanting MORE. This isn't really anything new to me (IDM straight outta Japan) but it's done so well, and the jazzy aspects add a nice nightly atmosphere to the EP.

It's 2:45 in the morning. Well not really but I wanted to say that.

Best Track: Water Cycle

rayword45 02-7-2016 02:37 AM

Day 292: Saralee by Saralee

Fucking self-centered dickhead. I hope you overdose on heroin mixed with xanax to the point where your lips turn purple, I hope you drown in the bathtub while bartarded. You are the most worthless scum I've ever met and every day you continue to live is a failure in both Darwin's theories and the morality of mother nature. Fuck you. You'll probably hear a different but similarly tip-of-the-tongue ramt, smile with your mouth but not your eyes and say some pretentious bullshit about how you're superior due to your money but I know you'll be hurting inside. I was the only one to give you a chance, all the other Asians said you were a dicksucker, a pompous asswipe without the smarts to back it up. They were right, and I was wrong to call them wrong. Seriously, I don't think anyone will cry if you commit suicide. I think that during your moment of silence people will giggle at someone else's jokes and nobody will remember you existed within a year. Please just die already.

That's not AT ALL directed to this album or the people who made this album I don't know them personally. This is a fine little slab of lo-fi guitar pop, although the vocals are so untrained as to be slightly headachey after 25 minutes. It's interesting that I like this music yet it somehow induced rage-filled thoughts in me. Hmm.

Best Track: Hesitation

rayword45 02-8-2016 09:58 PM

Day 293: Hybrid Awaken by Lunar (Album Choice: NinjaKIWI)

This album is marginally more appealing than sudoku on a plane.

Best Track: Lazy Dog Funk

Deadlyx39 02-9-2016 09:53 AM

If you're still looking for albums, you should review Disarm the Descent by Killswitch Engage.

rayword45 02-13-2016 11:58 PM

Day 294: The Willows by Belbury Poly (Album Choice: csd)

I don't really know what Berlin School really is. I once listened to Ringer by Four Tet but that release fucking sucked compared to his folktronica stuff. I need to see him live when he comes to Boston.

Anyways, this album starts off pretty weak, it sounds like it should've been made in the 70s or something when electronic instruments were new. However, as it goes on, it gets more and more beautiful and atmospheric. So basically, this is a first-time listen grower.

And it's definitely a keeper.

Best Track: Far Off Things

rayword45 02-14-2016 01:31 PM

Day 295: The Life of Pablo by Kanye West

Since you're going to read several professional reviews of this album I'm just going to bulletpoint my thoughts.

-Chance the Rapper had the best album of 2015, but nobody seems to agree with that opinion. This first track is good.
-I actually shouted "what?" when listening to Father Stretch My Hands Part 1. Those lyrics make Speedin' Bullet 2 Heaven look like a goddamn masterpiece... because it is a masterpiece.
-Who the hell is Desiigner? He sucks.
-This is one incredibly fragmented album. I like that. The scattershot nature of this album means whatever sucks doesn't stick very long, and there are some stinkers. On the other hand, the best parts (minus the first track) don't stick around too long either, but at least it's charmingly schizophrenic.
-Low Lights is corny garbage.
-On the other hand, Highlights is hilarious garbage. I wish I was high for this. I'm so ignorant I can't even separate Young Thug and Kanye.
-Freestyle 4 is grating garbage. The trap influences on this album drag it down to hellishly bad lows.
-I am resisting the urge to skip FML because listening to The Weeknd is more violating than a 8 inch spiked butt plug up my ass.
-Wolves would be a fantastic track if the lyrics didn't make one go "What the hell?" out loud.
-I will always believe that less is more and a 10 track album would have been preferable, but on that note, the tacked on songs seem to be some of the best. Waves and 30 Hours are both great pop rap tracks, while No More Parties In LA features Kanye somehow being better than Kendrick Lamar.
-No I don't feel bad for Bill Cosby and you are a fucking idiot for feeling so.

Overall... Not bad, not good.

Best Track: No More Parties In LA

ilikexd 02-14-2016 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4400735)
Day 286: Tago Mago by Can (Album Choice: ilikexd)

Experimental?
The first half is very good
The second is not

Best Track: Helleluhwah

2deep4u

rayword45 02-14-2016 02:29 PM

Day 296: Painting With by Animal Collective

Two big releases I'm listening to on one day. Also, I'm seeing these guys when they come to Boston on the 22nd. They better play The Purple Bottle.

Pretty sure this is their shortest album, which is good because most of their albums meander for 15 or 20 minutes too many.

The songwriting, however, is only slightly above that of Centipede Hz and highlights are hard to pick out because these songs are practically indistinguishable. Like I've said about a thousand albums this definitely isn't bad, but it's definitely not one of their better releases. Hopefully these songs don't steal the show.

Best Track: These songs are all equal to each other.

rayword45 02-14-2016 05:26 PM

Day 297: Special Snowflakes by Pile

Impulse listen. This is a good introduction to the band. Not better than Dripping but better than You're Better Than This. I wish that sentence was more confusing.

Best Track: Special Snowflakes (there's only two)

HitlerWasRight 02-16-2016 06:39 AM

I'm sure you've probably listened to at least one of these but I'm really interested to see your opinion on them.

DJ Shadow - Endtroducing
The Avalanches - Since I Left You
Tortoise - TNT
Kairon; IRSE! - Ujubasajuba
Sweet Trip - Velocity : Design : Comfort

TheRapingDragon 02-16-2016 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HitlerWasRight (Post 4407640)
Kairon; IRSE! - Ujubasajuba

This is a very good album, even if it is damn near impossible to tag without most media players thinking it's two separate artists.

rayword45 02-19-2016 12:03 PM

Day 298: A Promise by Xiu Xiu (Album Choice: Dvaerak7Korgo)

This is one of those albums that Tiny Mix Tapes wanks over but I've never gotten the chance to check out.

These lyrics are terribibble.

I'm sad that Gravity Falls is over.

What should I review for my 300th album out of 365? Am I gonna continue after 365? It's not like I have much better to do with my life.

Not my kind of experimental but I applaud these guys because they definitely have their own sound.

Best Track: Apistat Commander

rayword45 02-25-2016 09:02 AM

Day 299: Man in Black by Johnny Cash (Album Choice: Sean M.)

I think this qualifies as a good enough penultimate-to-300 review, since 364 as a major number is pretty debatable.

When I was around 9 or 10, I was forced to listen to Folsom County Blues and Walk The Line on a RIDICULOUSLY frequent basis because my sister played those two songs on a loop during car rides. At the time, it gave me sharp migraines, but in hindsight those were some pretty good songs.

And I must thank my sister, because she gave me what I will compare this album to. Well, I also do recall the Johnny Cash covers of Hurt and Rowboat, but the lack of trauma attached to that makes their influence on me negligible.

Compared to all of what I've heard before, THIS ALBUM FUCKING SUCKS. It's all bland, preachy, Christianity-is-my-fetish bullshit. I'm definitely not a diehard atheist but this is over-the-top. The first half DEFINITELY has some twangy good tracks for sure, but the Jesus is creeping up on me too damn much. On the note of instrumentation, some songs NAIL it, like the best track listed down below because I don't want to bold more shit, or they ruin the song with ludicrous instrumentation choices, like the title track.

Now I must find the Johnny Cash albums which contained, you know, good songs. I feel I owe it to the man's legacy.

Best Track: If Not For Love

rayword45 02-27-2016 01:29 PM

Day 300: None Shall Pass by Aesop Rock (Album Choice: FoJaR)

Shit, it's the 300th album? Completely forgot. Took long enough.

My knowledge of this guy is limited to the fact that he is the most verbose rapper out there, he's white (and I usually hate Caucasian rap) and he's universally considered better than A$AP Rocky by a very wide margin. I always used to confuse the two.

Like one minute in, and I'm already impressed by this guy's skills. For reference of my standards, I think MF DOOM is the GOAT and I thought Rap God was one of the corniest, most cringeworthy tracks ever releases. Horrible. This guy isn't as fast as Eminem but obviously speed isn't everything. This guy has everything, smooth flow, great wordplay, and he usually avoids being corny. Color me impressed.

The beats are pretty average. Funky, but nothing that makes me go wow HOLY FUCK IT'S MY MANCRUSH JOHN DARNIELLE. Off of that point, yeah beats are not good not bad. Also this album should be trimmed by at least 3 tracks.

Overall, I give this a thumbs up, and considering my admittedly irrational disdain for white pe- I mean rappers, that's not an easy approval to give.

Best Track: None Shall Pass