Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Audio and Music Production (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Recommend me some 2022 albums +1000th album halp (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=137263)

ilikexd 12-18-2019 07:42 PM

Re: Recommend me some 2019 albums halp

Duster's new self-titled

rayword45 12-19-2019 02:05 AM

Day 690: Transportation by Your Old Droog

I've seen this album mentioned by hip-hop heads for several months now but never got around to it. Just like last album, this one is inconsistent and in equal turns corny or bumping, but it works better here I think. Samples are just as goofy (Zappa and Norm MacDonald in the same song makes me hope this guy isn't a libertarian and I like both of those guys' work), but I like that more in this context probably because of the less oppressive nature of this music, and production is on point for the most part otherwise.

Not bad at all. A year highlight? No, but not bad at all.

Best Track: Train Love
Rating: 7/10

M0nkeyz 12-25-2019 08:25 AM

Try Tommy Guerrero - Road to Nowhere

rayword45 12-26-2019 05:22 PM

Day 691: LEGACY! LEGACY! by Jamila Woods

I heard some of this woman's singing years ago when I listened to Surf. Although Chance is largely a meme now, I still think that one holds up, zoomers rise up!

Anyways, this album, good! Very good! Consistent, and what's low is merely uninteresting whereas the highs got me grooving in bed while I'm still doing math homework. Production is on point the whole 49 minutes. This needs a relisten.

Kill me, please. I really hate my life right now. Happy holidays!

Best Track: Miles
Rating: 7.5/10

Wind0ze 12-26-2019 05:36 PM

I by Follakzoid

rayword45 12-26-2019 07:32 PM

Day 692: Death Becomes Her by Angel-Ho

Started out strong on all facets, then quickly the more club-sounding songs became so annoying that the interludes and instrumentals became the easy highlights. They were some really good instrumentals though.

Best Track: Like A Girl
Rating: 5/10

rayword45 12-28-2019 04:39 PM

Day 693: Fog FM by Anthony Naples

It’s good, but not “best of 2019” good. Fuck off if you want me to write more.

Best Track: I’ll Follow You

rayword45 12-31-2019 06:48 PM

Day 694: Ataraxic by ODAE

Some of these sound like songs that bperson would recommend me. The ones with vocals sound like a cross between the softer Brainiac songs and Danse Manatee-era hipster hippy band, not as good as Brainiac but way better than the other reference I pulled out of my ass. Rather inconsistent, but I enjoyed it a ton on multiple listens.

Best Track: Apatheia
Rating: 8/10

rayword45 01-1-2020 07:00 PM

Day 695: Grapefruit Regret by Karenn

This was the perfect pre-rave music, and the perfect post-rave music. I loved every minute of it, although one song sounded way too much like Benny Benassi. This goes in the top 10 of the year.

God this hangover sucks.

Best Track: I forget lol
Rating: 9/10

rayword45 01-2-2020 12:20 AM

Day 696: I by Follakzoid (Album Choice: Wind0ze)

This somehow managed to find the exact point between "not minimalistic enough to be dreamy" and "too minimalistic to groove ro" (most of the time). I'm a simple, stupid man. This did not satisfy me except in brief spurts.

Best Track: III (if you can even call these separate tracks)
Rating: 4.5/10

rayword45 01-14-2020 01:39 AM

Day 697: Fever by Megan Thee Stallion

I mean it's a lot of fun, but the whole sexual atmosphere can get a little overbearing at times when it's the same fuckin topic every song.

No pun was intended there.

Best Track: Simon Says

Kori_RBLX 01-14-2020 02:47 AM

I dont know if this was recommended yet but

IGOR - TYLER THE CREATOR

New Magic Wand is a favorite of mine. Bumped it for the rest of the year.

rayword45 01-14-2020 03:57 AM

Day 698: Future Predictions by Celer

This was... middling oh fuck it's 5AM I'm still awake kill me

Best Track: Nothing Will Change

rayword45 01-14-2020 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kori_RBLX (Post 4707628)
I dont know if this was recommended yet but

IGOR - TYLER THE CREATOR

New Magic Wand is a favorite of mine. Bumped it for the rest of the year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4674991)
Day 569: Igor by Tyler The Creator

To repeat what I've been shitting all over the rest of the internet, there's too much fucking pitch shifting. This isn't as good as Flower Boy but it's better than all his other albums, especially Cherry Bomb to which this kinda seems like an attempt at a do-over. A lot of these tracks feel like The Internet rejects and I don't think Tyler is enough of a singer to carry this kind of album so it could use some more features. I still do like it though, and the bangers are some of his best party tracks ever.

But the fucking pitch-shifting whyyyyyy

Best Track: Are We Still Friends
Rating: 7/10 (4 in a row!)

I stand by that rating, maybe a little lower TBH, but Flower Boy is still a 9/10

rayword45 01-14-2020 02:56 PM

Day 699: Good Luck, Everybody by AJJ

Oh yeah, that last album was my first "2020" album. I should change the thread title.

Anyways, here goes number two! I listened to the FUCK out of these guys during those late middle school early high school days, but... I don't remember if I've listened to anything past Knife Man. Lemme go check.

Nope I haven't. WAIT! That's a lie, I heard them cover Neil Young and Smelly Turd Poops for AV Club! Now most of those videos are missing, including the latter one. HAHAHA just kidding I THOUGHT it was lost but somehow when I googled it today it came up! Maybe I just suck at googling. Oh well, I'm playing that right now, and while it isn't as good as I remember, it kicks the shit outta Stone Temple Pilots! And suddenly now, I'm remembering that I tried to listen to the album they released after Knife Man and it was boring and devoid of energy and passion and then I gave up. Well, I hope this is better than my (potentially wrong) memories of that album.

...Nah sorry I'm unimpressed. They must've come into a lot of money since 2012-2014 and I just forgot about it, but somehow this sounds like the most produced thing I've ever heard from them. The rawness of their earliest albums and Knife Man are what makes it so I still listen to them every now and then, there's a sense of "urgency" in those songs that makes it feel like they could fall apart at any time, and I'm just not feeling this slicker vibe.

And even so, produced isn't necessarily bad! But none of the songs stood out as particularly memorable, and in such a short album, that's not very good. Maybe this will reveal more with repeat listens but... ah who am I kidding gonna be years before I try to listen to this again.

Best Track: Body Terror Song
Rating: 4/10

rayword45 01-20-2020 02:53 AM

Day 700: The Archer by Alexandra Savior

This is hit-or-miss, but leaning towards the former for the most part. People call this a Lana worship album but I actually think this album is far more coherent, lo-fi and honest than Normal Fucking Rockwell, which may be why I enjoyed it more overall.

It can be boring at times, but the highs are high enough that I think this deserves a tentatively decent score, and maybe repeat listens will change that. Regardless, not a bad starter for 2020.

Best Track: way too scattered
Rating: 6.5/10

rayword45 01-20-2020 12:24 PM

Day 701: Phantom Limb by 16-17

Getting real close to two years of this guys! Hopefully I finish my long-delayed 5 year retrospective by then. Anyways, this album is pretty good. Not particularly innovative or anything, but it slaps hard when it goes for aggression, and the "softer" pieces work just as well.

Nothing really sticks out as a lowlight for me. Admittedly I'm often a sucker for this kinda music and it does tend to lend itself towards first listens being best. Perhaps repeat listens will change my opinion drastically but until then, best new album I've heard this year!

Best Track: Subliminal Song though the final track is close

rayword45 01-26-2020 03:10 PM

Day 702: Neyslutrans by Hatari

The best way I can describe this sound is like if Celldweller and Ke$ha had a child that they put up for adoption whom then got into crack in... Iceland... For some reason.

Either way I enjoyed this more than either of those two artists, but it does get pretty annoying pretty often.

Best Track: Þræll
Rating: 6/10

rayword45 01-26-2020 11:31 PM

Day 703: You Can Never Have A Long Enough Head Start by Floral Tattoo

On some of the tracks, the singer sounds like Ernie.

Best Track: One of the first few, which sounded kinda like Ernie singing The Beatles

rayword45 01-30-2020 11:03 PM

Day 704: Draining Love Story by Sewerslvt

I don't know how much I'm gonna return to this album, but it's well-made, eclectic and really nails the "atmospheric" in atmospheric D&B. Plus, it samples Moral Orel, so that's an automatic +1!

Best Track: Mr Kill Myself

Deadlyx39 01-30-2020 11:18 PM

Might as well make the delayed 5-year retrospective a 6-year retrospective at this point.

rayword45 01-31-2020 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadlyx39 (Post 4711103)
Might as well make the delayed 5-year retrospective a 6-year retrospective at this point.

i have an idea lol

rayword45 02-4-2020 07:58 PM

Day 705: Miss Anthropocene by Grimes

I don't care if this leak is unfinished or not, I wanted to hear how Bezos changed the music. And also, I don't like the idea of my streaming money going to that cuck that lost a quarter trillion or something because he's the only 55-year old man in the world to send a dick pic during an affair.

Wait, I'm sorry, I fucked up, I don't like my streaming money going to Elon is what I should've said. He looks like he smells bad and says bad things.

Anyways, it looks like I forgot to review Art Angels but I found it equal parts boring and annoying. Either I'm misremembering, my tastes have changed drastically, or this is a significant step up! Only a few serious snoozers here and there, and if this is the unfinished mastering version I need to check it out again in a month. Some songs reminded me of 100 gecs except it's not because the songs sounded like them besides maybe the voice being squeaky it's just that that shit was so fucking horrible it hasn't left my head. This shit is good!

I'm mad that there's no song called "No Longer An Anti-Imperialist" or "Shadow Fetus" though. And just once again, fuck billionaires.

Best Track: Violence

rayword45 02-11-2020 10:48 PM

Re: Recommend me some 2020 albums halp

Day 706: 2017-2019 by Against All Logic

I gotta tell ya, kids, this one started out WEIRD. All of the first few tracks were absolutely not what I was expecting, incredibly experimental stuff.

Then after the first 4 or 5 tracks it settled nicely into the groovy, danceable stuff I was expecting, and these tracks are for the most part up to par or just below the quality of his last album. The last track is also a bit weird though.

This score is ESPECIALLY tentative, because after 2 listens I'm still not sure what to make of about half or so, but the rest of it is quite good!

Best Track: Penny

rayword45 02-12-2020 12:35 AM

Day 707: UNLOCKED by Denzel Curry and Kenny Beats

This one is reaaaaal short, and a bit more experimental than Zuu, less ambitious than TA13OO and honestly worse than both. I'm still enjoying it, the aggression on display, moreso than the last two albums for sure, matches well with the rather abrasive beats, but it isn't anything particularly special. Everything here is solid, no real misses, no real stand-outs.

Best Track: Read the last sentence

DeciBel1231 02-13-2020 08:39 PM

Mama - NoMeansNo

rayword45 02-14-2020 03:57 PM

Day 708: The Slow Rush by Tame Impala

Happy national STD testing day, these guys (or is it just this guy?) decided to release on this day after a near 5 year hiatus. I... honestly had forgotten all about them, and that's weird considering I still think Lonerism is a good pop psych album and that some of the vaporwave-y songs on that vaporwave-y album slap. I say all that but I haven't listened to their music in, like, maybe nearly 3 years? Except a song here or there VERY intermittently. Anyways, on we go.

I... don't have much to say about this one. Somehow, it seems like he was trying to be really ambitious, but instead it just ends up being boring. It's not horrible or anything, most of these songs are passable, a few are good, and a few are cheesy, but that's just it. Nothing stands out hard enough, yet it really does feel like a lot of effort was put into it. Or maybe I'm just saying that because this is 2-3 years minutes too late and 20-30 minutes too long.

I'll never forget that night at Boston Calling though... Though Beck was the better performance.

Best Track: It Might Be Time

rayword45 02-14-2020 06:06 PM

Day 709: Overdrive EP by Space Laces

Prepping for the festival next month.

Dubstep is such a great, enjoyable genre live. Most of the recorded stuff just bores the fuck out of me though, this included. I prefer cornandbeans as corny as some of those songs were.

Best Track: Kaiju

rayword45 02-18-2020 11:33 PM

Day 710: Circles by Mac Miller

It's been, what, 5 years since I listened to this guy? And he died like 2 years or close to it now ago? I suppose that's working from a clean slate, or close to it.

Anyways, with the exception of a few tracks, this is barely hip-hop. DEFINITELY less so than the last album I listened to of his. Instead we get a bunch of slow pop soul which is enjoyable enough, but only a few tracks really left a lasting impression on me thus far. Maybe this one is a grower, but I've seen a lot of comparisons to IGOR which still hasn't grown on me. Only time will tell.

Don't do fentanyl.

Best Track: I Can See

mi40 02-19-2020 03:12 AM

this is frankly the most ambitious project that is taking place on ffr
if i may,
Pete Namlook & Various ‎– The Ambient Gardener · Winter

rayword45 02-20-2020 01:25 AM

Day 711: Mama by NoMeansNo (Album Choice: DeciBel1231)

Yet again, here's someone I haven't reviewed in years, but unlike others I actually still listen to Wrong at least a few times a year! That's a well put-together album. I recall putting some of their other albums on in the background and not enjoying them as much, but definitely not this one.

And this one is eh. A hell of a lot less produced and a hell of a lot less aggressive than the album I like more, instead this one has more of a jazzy art-rock vibe which doesn't always work for me with the more restrained punk attitude. Also the comparative lack of bass tone is disappointing. Eh.

Best Track: Red Devil

Deadlyx39 02-21-2020 02:42 PM

Ozzy Osbourne’s new album came out today. Haven’t listened to it yet.

rayword45 02-21-2020 11:02 PM

Day 712: Man Alive! by King Krule

Well, preconceptions are usually a bad thing! I haven't listened to, like, more than 2 songs by this guy before today, and I thought not much of them at all. My knowledge of him is basically that he's ginger, and that a lot of white girls in my area who like shit like Drake and The Weeknd tend to swoon over him a LOT so I assumed I wasn't his target audience, and that it'd be some boring whiteboy R&B type stuff. What this actually is is one of the strangest albums I've listened to in a while, especially for someone this big, and I enjoyed almost every second of it. There's almost nothing in the way of traditional melodies that are obvious on the forefront, and both texturally and mood-wise this album explores a LOT. Now I actually want to check out his other work.

When you make assumptions, you're an asshole. Is that the phrase?

Best Track: Underclass

rayword45 02-24-2020 11:35 PM

Day 713: MG Demo Disc by Machine Girl

Outside of one track, which is my favorite, this sounds a lot more like Gemini/WLFGRL era stuff than the later stuff, which is interesting considering how it spans several years of demos but perhaps not all that surprising. Outside of that one track, this ranges from fun bouncy breakbeat type stuff to dull repetitive shallow breakbeat type stuff. I wouldn't call it consistent nor would I expect that, but it's decent.

Best Track: The Windows

rayword45 03-2-2020 11:56 PM

Day 714: U-Void Synthesizer by Machine Girl

I'll open by saying this probably has the weakest opening track of any of their albums since before Because I'm Young Arrogant blahblahblah. But that's not really much of a slight, as those have often been the best tracks and the opener here is still GOOD. As a matter of fact, almost this whole album is good, something I haven't felt like I've been able to say about any of their works prior (I never reviewed WLFGRL or Gemini but I can confirm this is more consistent than the former). Thus it's my favorite of theirs now. Even the dancier tracks don't let up the aggression, leading to a far more cohesive release than anything else they've done thus far. Serious contender for my end-of-year list, as early as it is to say that I've not felt that way about one of their albums before.

Best Track: Devil Speak
Rating: 8.5/10

mi40 03-4-2020 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4716694)
Day 714: U-Void Synthesizer by Machine Girl

I'll open by saying this probably has the weakest opening track of any of their albums since before Because I'm Young Arrogant blahblahblah. But that's not really much of a slight, as those have often been the best tracks and the opener here is still GOOD. As a matter of fact, almost this whole album is good, something I haven't felt like I've been able to say about any of their works prior (I never reviewed WLFGRL or Gemini but I can confirm this is more consistent than the former). Thus it's my favorite of theirs now. Even the dancier tracks don't let up the aggression, leading to a far more cohesive release than anything else they've done thus far. Serious contender for my end-of-year list, as early as it is to say that I've not felt that way about one of their albums before.

Best Track: Devil Speak

i look forward to a WLFGRL review from you someday in the future

rayword45 03-5-2020 09:37 PM

Day 715: Honeymoon by Beach Bunny

All the Facebook music groups I'm in full of neckbeard hipsters that jack off to Fantano's nudes are talking about this artist. I'm completely unfamiliar but that usually doesn't equate to me liking the music beyond a "meh" grade, with some exceptions.

This is not an exception. This reminds me of the time in 2018(?) where Snail Mail and Soccer Mommy were blowing up, and this is better than the former but worse than the latter. Outside of just comparing to other singer/songwriter indie women, this album started off as a lot of bouncy fun with a sensed emotional core, but less than halfway through I was just bored and slightly annoyed. I would probably be nicer right now if it was lo-fi, or if the first 3 tracks didn't just make everything more disappointing after.

Best Track: Promises or April

rayword45 03-5-2020 11:40 PM

Day 716: Be Up A Hello by Squarepusher

Fuck you Squarepusher your not cool because you can make the drums go fast

That meme will never be unfunny to me.

This album is... better than the last release of his I reviewed, but honestly, I still wouldn't call it good. The first two tracks are phenomenal, warm, MELODIC little nuggets of breakcore goodness, then for the rest of the album I guess he was just like "lol fuck melody" with the exception of slow outlier Detroit People Mover and it just sounds like soulless Autechre to me.

But those first two tracks are really, really, really good!

Best Track: Oberlove
Rating: 5.5/10

rayword45 03-11-2020 01:04 AM

Day 717: Mystic Familiar by Dan Deacon

Imtoo drunk to sleep rn to articulate my thoughts but this is REALLY good. I love Off The Air and I love this music because... Fuck itgood just trust me i might elaborate furtherlater

Fuck academia. Bring on the coronavirus.

Best Track: the Arp series or Bumble Bee Crown King

rayword45 03-11-2020 01:13 PM

Day 718: WLFGRL by Machine Girl (Album Choice: mi40)

Again, reviewing an album I've heard many times before yet never wrote on because... Idk fuck you

I actually prefer the Demo Disc to this one. This one is... Kinda repetitive at times, and I mean it's consistent but perhaps overly so? Also, the video game atmosphere is cool but can also come off as gimmicky, even though the same influences don't really ever feel that way on their later albums.

There really just needs to be way more groovers in the mix here. More aggression in the aggressive tracks too, but DEFINITELY this needs more groovers.

Best Track: Out By The 16, Dead On The Scene

rayword45 03-11-2020 06:50 PM

Day 719: Massive Oscillations by Waclaw Zimpel

When did I review Zimpel/Ziozek? 2 years ago? Or last year? Or 2017? Ah who gives a shit.

The first track really didn't set the mood right. After something REALLY abrasive, this is more along the lines of the last release I reviewed from this dude, with a sort of pastoral vibe to most of these tracks. I liked the first track, then I liked about half-to-two-thirds of every other track. It's okay.

Best Track: The First One
Rating: 6.5/10

DeciBel1231 03-11-2020 08:27 PM

That's interesting. My opinion on the Machine Girl albums I've listened to is WLFGRL > Because I'm Young > The Ugly Art > U-Void with Because I'm Young being a very close 2nd place.

rayword45 03-11-2020 08:57 PM

Day 720: Funeral by Lil Wayne

I gave Tha Carter V a good review if I recall correctly, and I KNOW I gave Sorry 4 The Wait 2 a shit review. This leans closer to the latter, in that it just sucks. It's way too long, it's way too boring, the features mostly suck, the beats are predominantly horrible, and Wayne himself fluctuates wildly between being an adequate spitter and annoying the everloving shit out of me.

This could be a solid, maybe not great but solid, album if dude just trimmed it into, like, a 10 song collection. It's 2020 man, nobody wants a 75 minute album anymore.

Best Track: Mahogany
Rating: 3/10

Crazyjayde 03-11-2020 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4716926)
All the Facebook music groups I'm in

Solid ew.

Also that's the wrong Zimpel album (somewhat). There's also a James Holden collab, with some input from Ziolek, which was released not even last week. WAY more lively and engaging.
Glad to see you're still going strong with this. Keep it up fuck college you know the drill have some random recs:

Himuro Yoshiteru - View From Bottom
Innercity Ensemble - IV
Kittens - Tiger Comet
KoMaRa - KoMaRa
R.A.P. Ferreira - Purple Moonlight Pages
Sparklehorse - It's a Wonderful Life [obligatory edit cause I believe this is the one I was most curious about]
Swirlies - They Spent Their Youthful Days...
Winona Forever - Feelgood

rayword45 03-16-2020 01:47 AM

Day 721: Suddenly by Caribou

I really wanted to see this guy live since he was supposed to come around MA some time soon. Fucking modelovirus ruining everything.

Anyways, I just said that, but I can't say I'm super crazy for any of this dude's releases. I still like that one release I reviewed back in 2013 a bit, but it's nothing super spectacular and I've found most of his other releases forgettable. I feel mostly the same about this one, and the touches that are weird just feel out of place (what in the fuck is Sunny's Time?) It's not a bad album, it's actually quite pleasant, it's just mostly bland in a way that I think would translate into a much more enjoyable live show. Compared to Up In Flames this is really lacking in vitality.

Best Track: Ravi
Rating: 5.5/10

rayword45 03-16-2020 01:25 PM

Day 722: Ricky Music by Porches

Spotify recommended this album to me and I'm just gonna say "fuck it". Here we go.

You know, I feel like I would normally like the lo-fi synthy dance-pop atmosphere more than I do right now, but most of these songs just rub me the wrong way and I don't know why. The slow sad sparse tracks especially bore the shit out of me, while also somehow irritating me. Most of the other tracks only do one of those. If every track here sounded the way Madonna does, I would probably LOVE this album. That's a song name, I ain't talkin bout Like A Virgin Madonna fuck anticipating your first time first time is always wack as fuck. Besides that, I strangely enjoyed the short 33 second interlude, and got some pleasure out of the first three tracks.

Maybe I was being harsh earlier, based on second listen the annoyance factor is mostly gone besides those dreadful slow tracks. I'm not in love with it still, it's pretty boring with VERY rare moments within songs (usually closer to the end) that are only slightly enjoyable, but I can't give this a horrible score because I just don't feel that negatively about it.

So we continue the pattern! Also you can probably imagine exactly how I wrote this particular review in bed while multitasking.

Best Track: Madonna

rayword45 03-21-2020 11:41 PM

Day 723: Sixteen Oceans by Four Tet

3 years after his last album, this does nothing to convince me dude is doing anything other than coast by on what he knows. Besides being maybe a little bit less folk-influenced the mood of this album is very similar to New Energy, but there are less obvious highlight tracks and as a whole it feels a lot less inspired. I didn't hate any particular moment of this album, but after the 4th track I'm hardpressed to pick a subsequent highlight. It's not a bad album, once again, this is "pleasantly boring". Not something I'm going to return to much at all, unfortunately, but if you want more Four Tet it's another hour of middling, passable-as-background-noise tracks by him.

Best Track: Baby or Teenage Birdsong

rayword45 03-22-2020 03:12 AM

Day 724: After Hours by The Weeknd

I'm sure somewhere in this longass thread I've mentioned before that I hate this guy's music, but everyone online has been fapping over this album and the sex they imagine they'll have to it, so I felt obligated to give it a shot. With that in mind, this is obviously going to be VERY biased, but I'm making that clear now. Dude did a good job playing a douchebag in Uncut Gems though, which was my favorite of the 4 or 5 movies I saw in 2019.

Yeah, for the most part, this album exemplifies why this guy just doesn't work for me. Granted, I can recognize effort was put into this, and a LOT of it at that, but... yech. His falsetto isn't bad, but it does get repetitive. What is bad are the lyrics, and boy a lot of them are BAD... Or maybe they're not and I'm just biased? Google them yourself to tell me if I am or not!

I think what it really is is just how lowbrow some of the lyrics seem for the softer, Drake-mopey ballads here, and those ballads make up the majority of the album! The production there doesn't keep me interested and also gets repetitive, and all in all this album just makes me think of the sweatiest, smelliest, most unappealing sex ever. It's nowhere near as bad as Aubrey Graham's Grooming Parlor! I want to be clear on that, but this just very much isn't my cup of tea.

And as for the non-ballads... I actually like some of these! I wasn't expecting that, but shit reminds me of the darkwave clubs I went to in NYC, even if only vaguely. Those songs are upbeat, fun, and dancy. The lyrics still get kinda gross on occasion but they somehow bother me far less. Too bad they make up, like, a quarter of all the tracks here.

All in all... I feel like I'm going to have to give this a 3rd or 4th listen. Maybe the ballads will grow on me? Maybe I'll realize I don't like the upbeat tracks as much as I did?

Ahh who gives a fuck I'm rating this based on 1st and 2nd impression. Maybe I'll change my score down the line.

Maybe not nobody reads this shit who gives a fuck. Give me all the coronavirus.

Best Track: In Your Eyes

rayword45 03-22-2020 04:54 PM

Day 725: A Written Testimomy by Jay Electronica

I remember when Exhibit C came out. I was in the 6th grade.

Okay that's a lie. What I DO actually remember is when my friend showed me that song on the bus home in the fall of 2010, my first year of six in hell school. I was cringily enough one of those "le wrong generation" kids but back then I had to admit it was a good track.

Fastforward 9 years and I see this dude is playing in Boston. I ended up seeing SOB X RBE instead because... I don't remember I was drunk. But I do remember wondering what the fuck he was gonna perform, considering he all but dropped off the face of the earth after that 2009 track. I still like it a lot, by the way, but who doesn't?

As for this album? It's pretty good, minus the anti-semitism... That's a bad sentence but hey I've reviewed Burzum and Johnny Rebel since others told me to. Is it worth the 11 year wait? For me, I wasn't really waiting or even expecting this to come out, but I must imagine no, it isn't.

Some tracks just flat-out don't work, unfortunately those tending to be the ones with the more experimental beats, and why is there an intro on a 10 track album? But of the 9 other tracks, I enjoyed a majority, the softer ones locking me in with the themes of introspection and the more bombastic ones being a burst of confidence that is more than welcome, since those softer ones tend to be longer such as the two final AND longest tracks.

Not a knock on the album, but it's funny that I enjoyed Jay-Z's performances more than the artist himself.

Best Track: Universal Soldier

MixMasterLar 03-22-2020 10:50 PM

I might have recommended this years ago but I recently got a physical copy of Hundred Waters - The Moon Rang Like A Bell and it reminded me it was a good album

If you are looking specifically for 2020 stuff local Pensacola band Storm Within just released their first album and it's pretty decent. Here's their first single and looks like most of the songs are on YouTube now

MixMasterLar 03-22-2020 10:59 PM

Re: 365 Reviews Done

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4518270)
Day 369: Becoming X by Sneaker Pimps (Album Choice: MixMasterLar)

I remember playing Spin Spin Sugar (Armand's Dark Garage Mix) in DDR Extreme 2 when I was 8. I didn't like the song much back then, but I appreciated it a lot more somewhere in my mid-teens.

This album shifts between sounding like sweet candy sex and obnoxious candy trip hop genericness, and usually within the same song multiple times. That's completely the fault of the vocals. The instrumentals are great across the board, with beats simultaneously catchy and chill and psychedelia galore.

I just wish the singer didn't sound kinda like a teenager half the time.|

Best Track: Post-Modern Sleaze

This defense is years late but

UH UHHH NO SHE DON'T

...she kinda does but that isn't a dealbreaker :(

rayword45 03-23-2020 05:43 PM

Re: 365 Reviews Done

Quote:

Originally Posted by MixMasterLar (Post 4722015)
This defense is years late but

UH UHHH NO SHE DON'T

...she kinda does but that isn't a dealbreaker :(

fyi ive since upped this to a 10/10 lol

I still hate Waterbaby tho

MixMasterLar 03-24-2020 02:06 AM

It's legit better every time I pop it in. I wish we had gotten a second album on par

rayword45 03-29-2020 01:57 AM

Day 726: Future Nostalgia by Dua Lipa

This is currently RYM's top electronic album. The subgenres listed are similar to that of Skylar Spence's Prom King, or at least the primary ones are, but the mood and messages of this album reminds me more of Cuz I Love You more than anything, except whiter. I love both of the albums I just listed, do I love this?

No, I can't say I do. But this is pretty well-crafted stuff for the most part, and the performance oozes confidence. A lot of people I know call Lizzo corny, but that's nothing compared to a lot of the slow ballads here, including the closer which has some of the most overwrought production I've ever heard, and a small portion of the more I Will Survive-vibe songs. That may be the point? I do get a tongue-in-cheek vibe from a lot of this album, but it only bothers me on a handful of cuts here, and all of the bouncier songs are great fun! I wouldn't say anything here is really super original or revelatory, in fact it really relies on retro throwbacks, but pure personal enjoyment comes first! And this is mostly pretty decent, the last two songs easily being the worst.

Best Track: Don't Start Now

rayword45 03-29-2020 02:57 AM

Day 727: Obscura by Shye

This is a somewhat folk-influenced ambient album. I have absolutely NOTHING worthwhile to say except that I enjoyed it but again, didn't love it, but also acknowledge that this is going to require a few more listens to decide whether I like it more, less or the same as the first two listens. If anything, it's pretty, works as study music and works as "what the fuck it's 3:57AM why am I awake" music.

Remind me to update this score!

Best Track: The final one

rayword45 04-2-2020 01:04 AM

Day 728: 3.15.20 by Childish Gambino

Even though I never reviewed Awaken, My Love and never will, I'm familiar enough with it to tell you that I do think it's the best musical project this dude has done, but that's saying just about nothing.

And this is now overtaking that as the best musical project he's done, by virtue of not containing Redbone! Also the songwriting is a lot more mature than the shitty albums before it minus AAL, though most of these songs get annoying it's never as cringy as Camp. The production is... not very good. Mixing is weird. Vocal performances annoy me. Goddamnit Donald why can't you just quit music for good and give us 10 seasons of Atlanta and bring back DerrickComedy?

Best Gambino project for sure!

Best Track: 12.38

rayword45 04-5-2020 11:32 PM

Day 729: Color Theory by Soccer Mommy

This album had the worst advertisement I've ever seen in my life. Google it if you must. I still really like her early lo-fi underwater bedroom recordings that nobody else gives a shit about, but I haven't listened to Clean since it came out. This album immediately strikes me as more consistent than that one, but I'm not sure if that's to the album's benefit or detriment. This stuff really does get same-y. That being said, I don't dislike any of these songs, and at least half of it is really good!

Whatever. Better than Snail Mail.

Best Track: Up The Walls

rayword45 04-6-2020 01:39 AM

Day 730: Ghosts VI by Nine Inch Nails

There was a Ghosts V? When the fuck did that happen?

"Two-year" mark has been reached! Aaaand... there's legitimately nothing interesting I can say here because there's nothing interesting about this album. Some of it is pleasant enough, but a lot is plain corny and in general I feel like this album was a massive waste of time. Anti-climactic compared to my Elseq review... but fuck it, this is all I'm giving for that two year hoorah. Sorry guys, maybe #800 will be better.

Best Track: I can't tell you

Jayden1234 04-6-2020 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4725113)
There was a Ghosts V? When the fuck did that happen?

Ghosts V was released simultaneously with VI. I'm not really sure how you got your hands on VI while missing V. It's better, albeit only marginally, and if you slept through VI then engaging in V probably won't yield better results. It's a little shorter but it is still self-indulgently bloated in classic Trent Reznor style.

aperson 04-6-2020 02:04 PM

The newest Igorrr has been out for 2 months yet it is not reviewed..................

rayword45 04-6-2020 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aperson (Post 4725262)
The newest Igorrr has been out for 2 months yet it is not reviewed..................

workin on it

MixMasterLar 04-7-2020 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayden1234 (Post 4725251)
Ghosts V was released simultaneously with VI..

How

Who

Why?

rayword45 04-13-2020 08:01 PM

Day 731: Spirituality and Distortion by Igorrr (Album Choice: aperson)

The really weird tracks here are all good fun. The ones that are more typical Igorrr style mixing of breakcore and metal are hit-or-miss. In general the ones that are heavier on the breakcore are better, but that's not a guarantee. Whatever, I've listened to this like 4 times now and have nothing useful to say. If you'll like this album you probably know so.

Best Track: Camel Dancefloor

rayword45 04-14-2020 11:46 PM

Day 732: Kiss My Super Bowl Ring by The Garden

I've never listened to these guys, but I know my roommate loves them. Or at least likes them. If I recall correctly he has one of their shirts.

This stuff... well, it's certainly not unoriginal. All of the genres they go through are stuff that I've heard done better before, but it's the combination of such that makes it unique! Unique =! good however, and this is middling at best to me. Some tracks are enjoyable, a lot of this is just plain annoying. I can always admire the passion in every single track, despite not being able to tell if this is sincere or ironic, and I think that's a good thing. That admiration doesn't always match with enjoyment, unfortunately.

That review told absolutely NOTHING about what the album sounds like, because this is hard to describe. I'll at least say it isn't nearly as horrible as 1000 gecs

Best Track: Lurkin

dAnceguy117 04-17-2020 11:06 PM

lets be honest youre obsessed with the gecs

rayword45 04-19-2020 01:13 PM

obsessed with how bad they are yeah

people roast on me all the time for thinkin they suck and say "youre gonna be left behind by the industry boomer"

i should add i tried to listen to their FishCenter performance it was just as awful and i wanna see if theyre as awful at eforest

dAnceguy117 04-19-2020 07:37 PM

rayword45 04-22-2020 12:39 AM

Day 733: Fetch The Bolt Cutters by Fiona Apple

Pitchfork gave this their first 10 in over a decade apparently. I await the opinion of melon because I care as much, that is to say, not at all. I thought I reviewed an album by Apple (can I just say the middle name here?) or an EP or something but I can't find it. I KNOW I've listened to some of her songs, but I don't remember what they sound like.

If they sound like this album, they basically sound like Ben Folds. Is this a good album? After listening to it about 5 or 6 times, I'd say so. She only drops one album a decade so I assume expectations are high, but I don't know if people are just filling in their own expectations or this actually meets them because this is not what I'd call a perfect album. It's good, it kept my attention for nearly an hour despite my about zero proximity to piano pop or cabaret-type stuff at all times, and there's just enough variety of lyrical content and choice of backing to fill out the tracks to satisfy me (though at times I have the same problem with this as a lot of other indie music, in that it feels a bit too in love with itself, that occurs far less here than it does when I listen to a lot of other indie bands so I'm not docking it). There are some experimental moments, and those are the best ones on the album. Then there are experimental moments that I just found annoying.

Why am I doing this at 1:33AM? There's like a million places this is gonna be reviewed better, I'm tired, depressed and wish I was drunk (not til Thursday!). You should listen to this not because of what I say, but because of what others say. And I don't mean that as "other people's opinions are worth more than mine", I'm referring to the stupid amount of hype this thing got.

Online hipsters and art school white girls saying they bawled their eyes out to this baffle me. It's a solid album, and only a few bits got on my nerves, but that's as far as I'm going. Okay boomer Pitchfork. Time to go eat some ice cream.

Best Track: For Her

rayword45 04-23-2020 11:08 PM

Day 734: Modus Vivendi by 070 Shake

I don't remember if I've listened to anything she's dropped before this solo, but this is her debut album apparently so probably not. I do vividly remember her part in Ghost Town on the overly-hated ye, and she made that song a lot better. However, since that's all I can remember right now (even though I KNOW she's featured on some other stuff I've listened to) I'm coming into this with no expectations.

And with no expectations, this is solid. Compared to yesterday's album, nothing reaches the same heights but there's also less duds while probably having a similar amount of standouts, which makes sense since this album is quite a bit shorter. The beats are mostly phenomenally chosen, the singing is almost all great and I'm digging the futuristic vibe. No real complaints here!

Best Track: Terminal B

rayword45 04-24-2020 12:49 AM

Day 735: WOMB by Purity Ring

I know for a fact that I haven't reviewed these guys. I say that because I thought I did, but then I remembered the only place I know these guys from is from the Search Party theme song. Fuck you HBO Max for making me wait 3 years for the third season.

On the plus side, in between thinking those things I thought that I knew them from the neo-Nazi [adult swim] show but they weren't on there after all! Why, Ovlov, why...

Anyways, upon listening to this, I thought it was fine, but then I randomly realized I wasn't listening to the first track anymore but instead the end of the third! This shit is so incredibly same-y that the previous sentence is not even a joke, I swear they used slight variations of the exact same melody three times in a row. After that, it isn't quite as obvious, but this entire album is just kind of eh to me. It would be more pleasant if the singer's voice didn't get on my nerves, but it's not SO bad that I can't stand it, it's just a little too much airy falsetto.

For a 35 minute album, I'm disappointed. Oh well, onto the next one!

Best Track: Femia

rayword45 04-25-2020 11:17 AM

Day 736: Pocket Selector by Dev/Null

His first full-length since Lazer Thrash sounds nothing like it! Instead this is a bunch of throwback jungle a la early Machine Girl and from that description you probably know exactly what this sounds like and exactly how much you'll enjoy it. I wish I had a better reference than that.

Best Track: Hyper

mi40 05-10-2020 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4716926)
Day 715: Honeymoon by Beach Bunny

Outside of just comparing to other singer/songwriter indie women, this album started off as a lot of bouncy fun with a sensed emotional core, but less than halfway through I was just bored and slightly annoyed. I would probably be nicer right now if it was lo-fi, or if the first 3 tracks didn't just make everything more disappointing after.

Best Track: Promises or April

agree here except beach bunny's honeymoon has somehow crept into my worksafe playlist when i'm the one with the aux cord at work. i will admit that if you listen to their consecutively in an album format you will get annoyed with it way faster than if it was sprinkled in among other music

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4718398)
Day 718: WLFGRL by Machine Girl (Album Choice: mi40)

There really just needs to be way more groovers in the mix here. More aggression in the aggressive tracks too, but DEFINITELY this needs more groovers.

Best Track: Out By The 16, Dead On The Scene

agree here also. a lot of people have the same sentiment regarding needing more groovers but it looks like machine girl tends to go more abrasive approaches to their albums so this is what happens. i like to think machine girl needs a separate mix of their groovers, like a best of. galatea & krystle (3rd impact mix) to name a few..

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4725885)
Day 733: Fetch The Bolt Cutters by Fiona Apple

Pitchfork gave this their first 10 in over a decade apparently. girls saying they bawled their eyes out to this baffle me. It's a solid album, and only a few bits got on my nerves, but that's as far as I'm going. Okay boomer Pitchfork. Time to go eat some ice cream.

Best Track: For Her

yes

MyNameIsNothing 05-12-2020 03:59 PM

favs of 2020 that i dont think you've reviewed yet
a girl called eddy - been around
headie one & fred again - gang
mixed matches - II
nnamdi - brat
lyra pramuk - fountain
RAY - pink
rina sawayama - sawayama (probably aotysf)
tennis - swimmer

rayword45 05-13-2020 12:24 AM

Day 737: Anxiety & Depression by The Boyboy West Coast

U Was At The Club (Bottoms Up) was my third most played song on Spotify in 2019. However, considering I only started using Spotify with any regularity in September, I'm pretty sure this is actually #1 overall. And it deserves it.

This album, on the other hand, sucks ass. There's like two good songs on this collection of sappy shitty pop songs. Serious downgrade man, you're not gonna have another meme at this rate Waluigi.

Best Track: No Love

rayword45 05-13-2020 06:29 PM

Day 738: Fountain by Lyra Pramuk

I'll start by saying this is definitely one of the most unique albums I've ever heard and there's nothing it can be compared to. The descriptors I see are frequently "ambient" and "a capella" but I've heard stuff in those categories plenty and none sound quite like this. For that reason alone, I would implore you to check this out, I doubt I'll hear a more creative album this year.

That being said, I only enjoyed about a third of it. I can appreciate the album going for something totally original and there's clearly a lot of thought and care put into its crafting, but most of this straight up does not appeal to me and I found myself annoyed more often than wowed or pleased. That being said (used it twice!), this is based off of two listens and I feel obligated to give it more tries solely because of how fuckin weird it is. Hmmm....

Ask me again in the fall.

Best Track: New Moon

rayword45 05-14-2020 11:57 AM

Day 739: Yeo-Neun by Okkyung Lee

I saw her open for Swans almost 4 years ago now, and barely remember what her act is like. Before you say anything, shut up I scalped. Anyways, my description of this show back then was

Quote:

Originally Posted by me at 18
"Some weird solo shit right here."

I remember the vibe being vaguely neo-classical but a whole lot weirder than that, and in some ways even more aggressive than Michael Gira's Flying Circus, mostly ones that I like more than just turning up the volume past reasonable.

This album is for the most part nowhere near as weird as I, uh, think that performance was. A few tracks here are atonal, but only the run from the end half of In Stardust (For Kang Kyung-ok) to The Longest Morning contains anything as chaotic as my memories tell me that performance was. For the most part, this is just really lovely stuff, and the vibe reminds me of cutting class in high school to get baked, drink 10 espresso shots over ice and walk through malls while listening to vaporwave until I ended up showing up to school at 10:59AM. Color me pleasantly surprised after being caught way off.

Best Track: Facing Your Shadows

rayword45 05-15-2020 06:56 PM

Day 740: Pray For Paris by Westside Gunn

Good beat production, good features, obnoxious rapping from the main star himself.

Best Track: George Bondo

rayword45 05-16-2020 02:56 PM

Day 741: Starz by Yung Lean

Ov Da Lid?

Okay that was terrible. I've heard some music from this guy before and while it was not the meme-tier bullshit I was expecting, it didn't inspire me to seek more of his music out. People seem to REALLY love this guy though.

Cloud rap is somewhat of an enigma to me. Some of these tracks are legit gorgeous, but a lot of it just bores me. And for something of its length, I can't act like that's a good thing. Not bad, but doesn't need to be as long as it is, at all. It also starts off way stronger than it ends.

For some reason the autoplay after this is Yves Tumor. Weird choice Spotify. I need to take a shit.

Best Track: Butterfly Paralyzed

mi40 05-16-2020 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4730686)
Day 741: Starz by Yung Lean

Ov Da Lid?

Okay that was terrible. I've heard some music from this guy before and while it was not the meme-tier bullshit I was expecting, it didn't inspire me to seek more of his music out. People seem to REALLY love this guy though.

Cloud rap is somewhat of an enigma to me. Some of these tracks are legit gorgeous, but a lot of it just bores me. And for something of its length, I can't act like that's a good thing. Not bad, but doesn't need to be as long as it is, at all. It also starts off way stronger than it ends.

For some reason the autoplay after this is Yves Tumor. Weird choice Spotify. I need to take a shit.

Best Track: Butterfly Paralyzed

i REALLY love this guy indeed. but it's not for everyone!

aperson 05-17-2020 02:14 AM

Aaron Spectre - The Quickening
The Soft Pink Truth - Shall We Go On Sinning So That Grace May Increase