Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Audio and Music Production (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Recommend me some 2022 albums +1000th album halp (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=137263)

rayword45 10-5-2019 07:00 PM

Re: Recommend me some 2019 albums halp

Day 631: uknowhatimsayin¿ by Danny Brown

It's not as good as XXX or Atrocity Exhibition but it's still very good.

That's all I'm saying do you really need me to say more on this one?

Best Track: Shine
Rating: 7.5/10

rayword45 10-7-2019 11:40 PM

Day 632: The First Glass Beach Album by Glass Beach

I bet if I had reviewed this years ago, I would've enjoyed it more. As it stands, meh.

Best Track: Dallas
Rating: 5/10

rayword45 10-8-2019 02:40 AM

Day 633: After its own death / Walking in a spiral towards the house by Nivhek

I bet if I had reviewed this the same amount of years ago as I was imagining for Glass Beach, I would've enjoyed it about the same. As it stands, it's not bad I guess.

Best Track: The first one out of two
Rating: 7/10

inDheart 10-8-2019 12:42 PM

Hibou - Halve

i only have (heh?) a couple listens in so far but it's a superficially similar palette to their old stuff and i like their old stuff

rayword45 10-9-2019 03:27 PM

Day 634: Infest The Rats' Nest by King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard

meme band meme band

I put this album on Spotify and failed to realize when the album ended because it autoplayed into more of their songs. In fact I couldn't even tell when any of the songs ended. That was boring as fuck.

Best Track: there was more than one song?
Rating: 4/10

rayword45 10-10-2019 03:06 PM

Day 635: Opaque Couché by Meat Beat Manifesto

I'm gaining muscle memory for accent mark keyboard shortcuts! This is the most accomplished I've felt in a while.

I'm 99.999999999% sure I've heard these dude's music before, and they've been around quite a while, but I just can't put my finger on it, so I'm judging this wholly on its own merits!

And on its own merits, I applaud these guys for how eclectic this album is in terms of both mood and energy. Some of these are chiller groovers, some are more soundscape-esque, some make me wish I was dancing at a music festival between the hours of 2-6AM and some feel surprisingly fast-paced, reminding me a bit of mid-period Aphex Twin (and sometimes almost as good!). I also like MOST of the use of samples here, though some are kinda corny.

Still, it's pretty damn hit-or-miss, sometimes even within the same song, and at around an hour it's way too fucking long. Thus, it gets the mode rating.

Best Track: Agelast
Rating: 6/10

Psychotik 10-10-2019 04:30 PM

Otoboke Beaver - ITEKOMA HITS

aperson 10-12-2019 11:58 AM

Not a 2019 album, but you need to check out Descartes a Kant - Il Visore Lunatique

rayword45 10-16-2019 10:26 AM

Re: Meh, let's do it again, this time for a year

Day 636: Sonic Citadel by Lightning Bolt

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4291840)
Day 124: Fantasy Empire by Lightning Bolt

Nice to know that Lightning Bolt still sounds like Lightning Bolt.

The exact same review would apply here, except I want to say that this is hands down the best thing they've done since Hypermagic Mountain. Structurally, prior to the last track and maybe a couple other late ones this is the most pop-oriented they've ever been in terms of songwriting, but also the aggression on display in some of the best tracks here rivals anything else they've put out.

My only complaint is that it's a bit front-loaded, but for a band that's entire gimmick is basically sounding the same every album this is a remarkably engaging, breezy listen for its entire 53 minutes, and y'all know I have self-diagnosed ADD! Hopefully very soon it's legitimately diagnosed.

Best Track: Air Conditioning or Hüsker Dön't
Rating: 9/10

RANDOM EDIT: Music Has The Right To Children autoplayed after this album for some godforsaken reason. Geogaddi will always be better.

rayword45 10-16-2019 06:53 PM

Day 637: Halve by Hibou (Album Choice: inDheart)

Well, it's really quite same-y, and that honestly felt like a lot more than 40 minutes, probably not helped by the fact that every track's production is just "hey reverb at 11 please".

That being said, it served the purpose I was looking for and it was mostly pleasant. Not complaining but I won't spin this often at all.

Best Track: An Hour Of Vision
Rating: 6.5/10

rayword45 10-16-2019 08:33 PM

Day 638: Loveworm by Beabadoobee

I first learned of this intriguingly named artist on one of the pretentious hipster Facebook music groups my friends added me to. The discussion was whether or not she was an "industry plant" because of the YouTube recommendations (hoo boy) and it quickly devolved into a shitshow about the term itself and sexism. My take is the concept of an "industry plant" does exist (sorry, but you're not gonna convince me someone like Clairo whose dad orders death squads against his subordinates in Africa trying to unionize, or someone like Nick Kroll who came from billionaire money, or someone like Jaden Smith who (oh come the fuck on) came up "organically") but fuck it, I'm willing to bet over half of the music I end up listening to from last millennium is from "industry plants" and if the music is good, who cares? Also, after doing some reading I'm thoroughly convinced this girl is an actual bona fide indie starter, if not her current "discovery" period. That will have no bearing on my opinion on this music, for which I've heard only an unrelated song from her, that Stephen Malkmus song. I didn't like it or hate it, it was just there. Anyways, enough of me making myself look even dumber, onto the EP review!

Yo listen up, here's the story
About a little guy that lives in a blue world
And all day and all night and everything he sees is just blue
Like him, inside and outside
Blue his house with a blue little window
And a blue Corvette
And everything is blue for him
And himself and everybody around
'Cause he ain't got nobody to listen

I'm blue Beabadoobee ba daa
Beabadoobee ba daa, Beabadoobee ba daa, Beabadoobee ba daa

I have a blue house with a blue window
Blue is the color of all that I wear
Blue are the streets and all the trees are too
I have a girlfriend and she is so blue
Blue are the people here that walk around
Blue like my Corvette, it's in and outside
Blue are the words I say and what I think
Blue are the feelings that live inside me

I have a blue house with a blue window
Blue is the color of all that I wear
Blue are the streets and all the trees are too
I have a girlfriend and she is so blue
Blue are the people here that walk around
Blue like my Corvette, it's in and outside
Blue are the words I say and what I think
Blue are the feelings that live inside me

Oh yeah the music, it was alright. Quite pretty actually. I don't care if she's an industry plant, I want more. That being said, I can see this style getting annoying pretty fast, so here's to hoping she diversifies her sound a bit.

Best Track: Angel

rayword45 10-16-2019 09:32 PM

Day 639: 2020 by Richard Dawson

Didn't I review this guy a year or two ago? What did I give him? I'm not gonna check again. This sucks. Or at least it's not my cup of tea. I know dude wouldn't give half a shit that I don't like this, and good on him.

Best Track: meh

rayword45 10-16-2019 11:46 PM

Day 640: ITEKOMA HITS by Otoboke Beaver (Album Choice: Psychotik)

This kind of stuff really isn't my cup of tea usually (fuck Midori, both the band and the liquor), but the energy on display makes this a fun, short listen, though any longer and it would get annoying REAL fast. Performances here are admirable, songwriting is just kinda meh. There's a bit of experimentation here and there but it's either barely noticeable or drags the album down, this is best when it's just straight hardcore punk aggression. Also the mixing sucks. Still, I think it mostly accomplished what it was going for even if it's not really my thing.

Best Track: The first one
Rating: 5.5/10

rayword45 10-17-2019 02:10 AM

Day 641: replicr, 2019 by 65daysofstatic

I forget once again if I've reviewed these guys before. Let's assume I did and gave them something between 5.5-7 because that's what I always do because these numbers are completely fucking arbitrary. I'm PRETTY sure I reviewed them before.

Oh yeah I guess I reviewed The Fall Of Math and found it meh. Okay well let's hope this is better!

It's, uh, better I guess? Some of these songs are really quite pretty, but mostly I was just bored. I'll give it the RYM equivalent of half a star higher because it's late and I don't give a fat fuck! And I'll return to this later, unless I don't. I want to but I might forget.

Best Track: Five Waves

inDheart 10-17-2019 12:34 PM

lmao yeah that makes sense
i like hibou as music to zone/work to, so i can easily see them not standing up as much when listened to more...intentionally? some word
them being higher energy than other similar genre groups is what draws me, i think

midori is ok liqueur i think but i wish it weren't in the category of "everything you see and do is now green"
although i now have the horrible thought of either just having bols blue and midori in the same room, or using them as art supplies

rayword45 10-17-2019 02:10 PM

Day 642: American Football by American Football

This is the third album of theirs I'm listening to, since, y'know, 2019. I'm pretty sure I heard their first album many years ago but I forget what it sounds like or whether or not I liked it, and I couldn't have been assed to listen to this in like, what, half a decade at least? So this is basically a blank slate.

I like some dream pop. I like some math rock (albeit not very much). This... This is just fucking boring TBH. Like, it's competent, but it's painfully uninteresting. A few songs are pretty in parts then they just draaaaaag. Also I have no idea why the Paramore chick is a feature here but lol

Fuck /mu/.

Best Track: Heir Apparent

rayword45 10-17-2019 04:47 PM

Day 643: Legendary Member by Thaiboy Digital

This isn't bad, kept me interested even if a bit corny feeling pretty often. I hope in the future if random people say I look like some Asian rapper they say this guy instead of fucking Filthy Frank. I look like neither.

Best Track: Kit Kat

EzExZeRo7497 10-18-2019 07:10 AM

I found American Football LP3 to drag a lot too (a lot of songs just blend into each other, which is usually an issue with dream pop/post-rock like this), but I found Silhouettes and Every Wave to Rise to be two of American Football's best. I personally don't think that LP3 has much math rock to it, at least nowhere as much as you would expect from a band who released LP1 (which was a hallmark for math rock); it felt more like a midwest emo/dream pop affair without the campy feel that made LP1 so relatable to others.

I haven't listened to replicr yet, but the preview sounded like a far stronger release than anything that 65dos has released since One Time For All Time. Not surprised that you didn't like it though

rayword45 10-18-2019 08:10 PM

Day 644: As If It Were Forever by Anna Wise

It's good and the features are good too.

Best Track: What's Up With You?

rayword45 10-20-2019 05:11 PM

Day 645: Between Here and You by BT

I listened to This Binary Universe for my 2013 thread. That was good. This isn't as good, it's kinda boring, though some pieces are pretty. Fuck putting effort into this shit.

Best Track: Subroutine

rayword45 10-20-2019 06:46 PM

Day 646: There Existed An Addiction To Blood by clipping. (Album Choice: my roommate)

Another band that I always associated with memes and have barely listened to outside of a few popular songs on YouTube many years ago.

Why these guys are frequently compared to Death Grips is not apparent to me. Well, no, I get why they're compared considering their more esoteric beat choices, but the delivery and tone of the whole thing is worlds away from MC Ride's shoutiness. This is more in line with the other artist these two get compared to (just guess who that is) but this is definitely more frequently aggressive than his work. This album wasn't bad! The subject matter of most of the songs didn't do all too much for me, but the beats and flow on most of it kept me engaged, and I can appreciate their experimental approach while maintaining a cohesive flow to this thing. I suppose I should check out some of their other work.

Ending with an 18 minute field recording of a burning piano was dumb tho.

Best Track: La Mala Ordina
Rating: 8/10

rayword45 10-20-2019 08:24 PM

Day 647: 1000 gecs by 100 gecs

It's like if the dudes from BrokenCYDE decided to record an album on MDMA then release it only in a sped-up form.
It's like MySpace culture came back with a vengeance, but this time the self-harm is inflicted on the ears.
It's like a group of white kids decided they wanted to take nightcore versions of trap songs then add more trap and more nightcore to it.
It's like the people behind those stupid Happy Bunny stickers that were popular in 2003 decided to release an album sung by Happy Bunny but they could only afford bootleg AutoTune, ImmediatePitchShift.
It's like a hipster wanted to make something akin to "deconstructed emo nightcore" except nobody gives a fuck about emo nightcore and also he had never used GarageBand before.
It's like if Vocaloid was cringy in a different way that was Ameri-centric instead.
Fuck you PMC.

Best Track: I Need Help Immediately
Rating: 2/10

rayword45 10-21-2019 01:30 AM

Day 648: The Plugs I Met by Benny The Butcher

This was #2 for best EPs of 2019, and most of the rest of the chart was metal that I didn't want to listen to. I guess I'm biased to hip-hop EPs because I honestly bumped this shit hard, to the point where it fucked up my last half-hour of studies! The two standout features are obvious (Black Thought,Pusha T) but every song here smacks. Yeah, EPs are better than 70 minute albums for sure. Quality control motherfuckers. Fuck you Eminem.

If I don't get help for my broken brain soon I'm gonna lose college. I hate my life. I need to fucking play more dance games and get healthy exercise where is my impulse. And I need therapy. Help me plz college sucks.

Best Track: 18 Wheeler
Rating: 8.5/10

rayword45 10-21-2019 09:28 PM

Day 649: All Mirrors by Angel Olsen

Okay PMC you're not really forgiven for that atrocity yesterday but I can't lie, this is great stuff. Once again, front-loaded, but not a bad song in the bunch.

Best Track: The Title Track and it's actually called All Mirrors but I'm bolding this because I want to

rayword45 10-21-2019 11:05 PM

Day 650: LφVE & EVφL by Boris

I love it when the title tracks are the worst tracks except goddamnit the first track is the best one here. I found LφVE to be a chore and EVφL to be annoying, but the rest is usual Boris. Lone exception is the first track which is almost dream pop. Anyways, this is average.

Best Track: Away From You

rayword45 10-21-2019 11:53 PM

Day 651: Atonement by Killswitch Engage (Album Choice: Deadlyx39)

Last one was surprisingly decent. This one just half bored me, half gave me a headache. Not revisiting. Sorry.

Best Track: As Sure As The Sun Will Rise

choof 10-22-2019 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4700788)
Day 646: There Existed An Addiction To Blood by clipping. (Album Choice: my roommate)

Another band that I always associated with memes and have barely listened to outside of a few popular songs on YouTube many years ago.

Why these guys are frequently compared to Death Grips is not apparent to me. Well, no, I get why they're compared considering their more esoteric beat choices, but the delivery and tone of the whole thing is worlds away from MC Ride's shoutiness. This is more in line with the other artist these two get compared to (just guess who that is) but this is definitely more frequently aggressive than his work. This album wasn't bad! The subject matter of most of the songs didn't do all too much for me, but the beats and flow on most of it kept me engaged, and I can appreciate their experimental approach while maintaining a cohesive flow to this thing. I suppose I should check out some of their other work.

Ending with an 18 minute field recording of a burning piano was dumb tho.

Best Track: La Mala Ordina

piano burning is now the reason why I need to check this out asap

rayword45 10-23-2019 10:53 PM

Day 652: Zdenka 2080 by Salami Rose Joe Louis

I saw her open for Flying Lotus. Her act was great. FlyLo was better. On the other hand, this is better than the newest album of his, but just barely. It's, overall, pretty passable and forgettable, but with that in mind nothing here is offensively bad and it goes quick.

Best Track: Love The Sun but it really is quite repetitive
Rating: 5.5/10

rayword45 10-24-2019 02:50 AM

Day 653: Shattered Dimensions by The Flying Luttenbachers

I'm pretty sure I heard something this band made when I was, like, 14 and didn't care for it. The first song here kicks ass. The rest is still pretty good, but this is generally more freeform than I like my noise rock stuff. They're really good at making crushing tones work in alternation with free jazzy bullshit though.

Best Track: Goosesteppin

rayword45 10-24-2019 03:38 AM

Day 654: HYPNOWALD by Janusz Jurga

Good and chill.

Oh my god it's almost 5AM and I'm studying for 3 exams and coding R while writing two master's research papers somebody please shoot me in the face I want to die

Best Track: 2 HYPNOWALD 2

rayword45 10-25-2019 04:15 PM

Day 655: Jesus Is King by Kanye West

I love The Big Day.

Best Track: Hands On
Resting: 3/10

choof 10-25-2019 04:29 PM

review anthony fantano's charity comp

rayword45 10-25-2019 09:08 PM

Day 656: Anger Management by Rico Nasty and Kenny Beats

It's fire I want more they're playing Oasis at this party and I'm not drunk enough yet help me

Best Track: Cheat Codes

Meatyguy 10-25-2019 09:11 PM

Illenium - Ascend
Gryffin - Gravity
i_o - House of God (I don't know if EPs are allowed)
Red Vox - Another Light

choof 10-25-2019 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meatyguy (Post 4700923)
Illenium - Ascend

can someone please explain the hype around this album or why it's good
I tried checking it out a few weeks ago but it's just same ol' atmospheric edm shit with epic vocals

rayword45 10-28-2019 02:41 AM

Day 657: Bigger Than Life by Black Marble (Album Choice: David H.)

Well, this certainly exists.

Best Track: Feels (not by Animal Collective)

rayword45 10-28-2019 01:25 PM

Day 658: Quantum Pulsation by KK Null

Continuing the trend of "let's review artists that I've reviewed previously and see if my tastes have changed significantly" let's review an artist whom I last reviewed in the distant past of April 2019.

Compared to Abiogenesis, which I liked a little bit more upon repeated listens (and would probably give it an 8 today), this is even less consistently harsh. The only part of this album I'm not very fond of is towards the end of the first track (was he trying to go for some kinda forest/jungle atmosphere? I dunno but it annoyed me) and the rest is pretty good, but overall it just isn't as interesting, engaging or intense as the last one I listened to... wait this came out 2 days after Abiogenesis?

Not bad, if you know what you're looking for here, you'll probably find it. But once again, I just wish things were even more abrasive.

Best Track: The second one

rayword45 10-28-2019 02:35 PM

Day 659: Sizzling EP by Daphni

Despite the pseudonym and the fact that this is a completely different style that I probably like just as much as folktronica, this is exactly as boring as the last Caribou album I reviewed!

Best Track: If

Meatyguy 10-30-2019 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choof (Post 4700924)
can someone please explain the hype around this album or why it's good
I tried checking it out a few weeks ago but it's just same ol' atmospheric edm shit with epic vocals

I mean... there's not much else to explain really. That's pretty much exactly right. For me, that type of music hits me hard in the feels. Favorites from that album are Good Things Fall Apart and In Your Arms. Plus, I'm not sure if you've ever been to a show with that type of music but it only makes it better imo.

choof 10-31-2019 11:15 AM

I used to go to raves as a teen, I've been to an Armin Only, and I've been to EDC at least three times
a live setting amplifies any style of music, not just epic and atmospheric vocal edm
I didn't hear any artistic evolution from Awake honestly

rayword45 11-1-2019 12:02 PM

Day 660: Leaving Meaning. by Swans

I was going to quote my Glass Beach review, but then I double checked and saw I gave the same rating to the last two Swans albums as I plan to give this one!

You don't need to make every album a fucking movie, Gira.

Best Track: Some New Things

rayword45 11-1-2019 05:31 PM

Day 661: Feet of Clay by Earl Sweatshirt

This might end up being a grower like I Don't Like Shit, I Don't Go Outside ended up being for me, but I really wish dude would go back to making songs above 2 minutes the norm. It's not bad, but it really does feel like a collection of leftovers from last year's release, which isn't at all how I felt about his last EP Solace (probably still his best release). Will need to give it a few more spins before the end of the year.

Best Track: El Toro Combo Meal
Rating: 6.5/10

rayword45 11-1-2019 07:47 PM

Day 662: Tracing Back The Radiance by Jefre Cantu-Ledesma

Better than the last album of his I reviewed! Marginally.

Best Track: Palace Of Time

rayword45 11-2-2019 06:13 PM

Day 663: Ascend by Illenium (Album Choice: Meatyguy)

I told myself I wasn't gonna listen to this long ago because of the amount of basic-ass Asians I've met that say shit like "I only listen to Excision, Illenium, and Porter Robinson" then tell me how they cried to this shit rolling. Maybe I should've SpongeBob capitalized that. That doesn't really reflect on how I should perceive the music, but I stand by the fact that listening to only THREE artists is some ridiculousness. Spotify autoplays when you finish an album! YouTube has recommendations right there! I don't care what you listen to, but how can you only listen to THREE artists? I don't know people who do that with any other genre! And the fact that a lot actively turn their noses at, like, other dubstep is baffling I do not understand what makes Excision so fucking special and unique versus literally every other wub-wub artist. Fucking college Asian ravers...

But anyways, I'm listening to this, and I'm enjoying it about as much as I thought I would. It's not bad. But it's really same-y at times while somehow also being a complete mixed bag in that some songs are gorgeous (not that I'm gonna cry to this shit) and others are great fun (funny enough, I wouldn't call Gorgeous a gorgeous song but it'd bang live) while others sound like an Ed Sheeran knockoff band or shit from some ITG stamina pack at a lower rate mod. Also, it's so fucking long... Which is good for studying but bad for making me want to listen to this whole thing in a single sitting ever again.

I hear his old stuff is a lot less pop-oriented, maybe I'll like it more? Also, I'd totally see him or Excision live still, I just wouldn't travel 2 hours to do so, nor would I roll at a single stage concert with no re-entry that charges for non-bathroom sink water fuck that. I wouldn't do that for Porter Robinson under his regular name but I feel like I'd be obligated to do that for Virtual Self.

Best Track: Broken Ones

choof 11-3-2019 02:25 AM

https://idlesunder.bandcamp.com/album/psygnosis

rayword45 11-3-2019 10:04 AM

Day 664: ! by Trippie Redd (Album Choice: the boys)

Okay first off, FUCK YOU for that album title. !!! is the worst band name ever and this is the same but far less distinctive. If it was a joke, not funny. If it was some kinda statement, it's a dumb statement. Fuck you goddamn Ronald McDonald-lookin Bhad Bhabie-"I ain't a pedophile like 6ix9ine I swear!" motherfucker.

This guy has more than a few songs that I actually enjoy, at least at parties and during car rides with the boys, but goddamn I don't think I'll ever actually enjoy one of his albums lol. More than half of these songs sound like a fucking mess to me, the features, the lyrics, the vocals, everything except the slightly more consistent beats is just sloppy (and I actually really like some of the artists featured). I don't know if it's because he's incapable of making a good, cohesive, consistent project, or if he can but I just can't stand him in long doses, or something else. Whatever.

I showed a friend a picture of a NEET clown on Tinder I saw and he replied "ain't that Trippie Redd?"

Best Track: Snake Skin
Rating: 3.5/10

rayword45 11-4-2019 05:20 PM

Day 665: Utility by Barker

I've listened to this 4 times now and I barely remember anything about it!

Best Track: Models of Wellbeing

rayword45 11-6-2019 07:15 PM

Day 666: Death Race For Love by Juice WRLD

Suppose that's a fitting 666. I sat through this once.

Once.

I'm never sitting through that again. Shit just makes me feel gross inside, the softer songs are syrupy as fuck and the "bangers" also suck. I know the whole "incel" thing is a meme but this music sucks. Fuck Tinder.

Best Track: Fast
Rating: 3/10

rayword45 11-6-2019 09:35 PM

Day 667: What Would The Odd Do? by Guerilla Toss

It's not bad, it's better than Twisted Crystal, I just miss the noisy stuff...

Best Track: Future Doesn't Know

aperson 11-9-2019 01:54 PM

Rrose - Hymn to Moisture

rayword45 11-9-2019 08:08 PM

Day 668: Resonant Body by Octo Octa

Every release she drops I find myself enjoying even more. This is significantly different from the other releases of hers I’ve reviewed due to a heavier reliance on breakbeats but it keeps that deep, luscious atmosphere that soaks me in while also adding in a newfound energy.

This is good. Very good. Can’t believe I waited two months. She never fails me.

Best Track: Ecstatic Beat or Deep Connections
Rating: 9/10

rayword45 11-12-2019 03:45 AM

Day 669: Magdalene by FKA Twigz (Album Choice: bad facebook groups)

Okay this review is gonna suck more than my Life of Pablo review from nearly 4 years ago bc i need to sleep asap because I am dying. Anyways,

-Wholly disappointing first track, but it picks up after pretty fast.
-Good Future feature. I like Future.
-Mary Magdalene is the best track here, and not just because I like making jokes about her sometimes!
-Glitchy tracks like Sad Day and especially Fallen Alien fucking slap.
-The closing track, well, I mean I understand that they wanted to bring it back to minimalism, but I just can't click with it. Actually there are too many slow ballads here in general, pls make more glitch hop stick lady.

Overall? I'm DEFINITELY gonna have to revisit this one, because it honestly felt like a very middling release but I feel like even two listens for this one isn't enough. And once again, I know I must've said it a million times, but FUCK ACADEMIA AND FUCK ADD YO IT'S FUCKING 4:45 AM and I have class in 6 hours AGGGGGHH

Best Track: Mary Magdalene

rayword45 11-13-2019 03:13 PM

Day 670: Hymn to Moisture by Rrose (Album Choice: housedog)

Congrats Bill, this is almost definitely the album I’ve listened to the most before jotting down my thoughts, partly because school and partly because I wanted to crack this more before saying anything.

I expected this to be some superweeb shit because of the artist name without ever listening to one of their songs, and I’m glad I’m wrong. This is mostly space, quite amelodic soundscapes with drums that sound like slow footwork to me. The first couple of times I listened to this I thought “these songs all sound the damn same!” but with more listens I found myself appreciating the different rhythms and grooves a lot more. Still, I only like two-thirds of this album and I can’t even say why.

I would say “need some relistens” but I’ve listened like 12 times.

Best Track: Horizon followed by the title track

Deadlyx39 11-14-2019 07:07 PM

Damn I had a lot of reviews to catch up on, you made me want to listen to that Lightning Bolt album now. Got a few recommendations for you:

The Nothing - Korn
Walk the Sky - Alter Bridge
Our Pathetic Age - DJ Shadow

rayword45 11-16-2019 08:48 PM

Day 671: Pang by Caroline Polachek

Is this year going to ultimately be defined musically for me as "the year I listened to way too many sadgirl and synthgirl indie acts"? Maybe, maybe not, who gives a shit? This is partially the former but moreso the latter, which I am thankful for as I'm more likely to enjoy it.

Listened twice, it's pleasant, nothing special outside of a few standout tracks but almost never grating or bad. Doesn't have that special spark or character that made some of my other favorites this year like Angel Olsen stand out, but to be quite honest, if I'm not complaining during any point of it, it's probably not too bad! Or maybe 1000 gecs just lowered my standards massively.

Best Track: Door

rayword45 11-16-2019 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadlyx39 (Post 4702742)
Damn I had a lot of reviews to catch up on, you made me want to listen to that Lightning Bolt album now. Got a few recommendations for you

The first track will basically tell you if you'll like it or not

rayword45 11-18-2019 06:58 PM

Day 672: Our Pathetic Age by DJ Shadow (Album Choice: Deadlyx39)

ok boomer

I wanted to leave my review at that, but the fact that this is 90 minutes makes me not want to do that. Instead here are some bulletpoints.

-Is Juggernaut supposed to be boomer dubstep?
-Firestorm would be good in a movie soundtrack of some melodramatic sort.
-Weightless is pretty good
-oh my god this is actually a boomer meme brought to auditory life
-The last two instrumental tracks are pretty good too
-WOW this is two separate albums!

Yeah, this is hard to review because it's like two separate albums, and the first instrumental one mostly sucks, but the second one with guest rappers rules! I'll just go with a middling rating because coasting on your guests is lame. Boomer.

Best Track: Rain On Snow
Rating: 5.5/10 (if it ended at We Are Always Alone it'd be a low 3, and if it started at the one with Nas it'd be a low 8)

rayword45 11-18-2019 08:13 PM

Day 673: The Origin Of My Depression by Uboa

This sounds so similar to at least 2 or 3 albums I've listened to this year or last that I can't quite put my finger on it, have I reviewed this already? Have I listened to this already? If I have I'll need to fix the numbers. This is okay. I prefer the non-screamy tracks over the screamy ones, but that just could be because of what I'm looking for right now. My brain is broken. This is not the origin of my depression.

Best Track: An Angel Of Great And Terrible Light

rayword45 11-18-2019 09:08 PM

Day 674: We All Shine by YNW Melly

A lot of these lyrics (or heck, even the album title) are actually kinda darkly humourous, particularly on the first track and No Holidays, when you consider the fiasco this dude was recently involved in. What the fuck was that? Was he sacrificing two of his bros for the sake of clout only for it to go horribly wrong due to forensic evidence? Or was he beefing with them and trying to get a clean getaway? Or is this all the powers that be trying to bring a man down?

Who knows and who cares, what matters is this album is fucking generic GARBAGE.

Best Track: Rolling Loud
Rating: 3/10

choof 11-19-2019 05:23 PM

idk if you reviewed the last madeon album but if you did, the new madeon album will most likely get the exact same rating

aperson 11-20-2019 02:02 AM

Ka Baird - Respires

2019 is turning out to be quite the year for music imo.

rayword45 11-21-2019 12:07 AM

Day 675: House of Sugar by (Sandy) Alex G

The first track was actually incredibly dope. That's how I like my psychedelic indie whiteboi nonsense.

Then the rest of the album minus 2 or 3 other tracks is boring as shit. Some songs are pretty enough but snooooooze

Fucking music twitter

Best Track: Walk Away
Rating: 4.5/10

rayword45 11-21-2019 10:16 PM

Day 676: No Home Record by Kim Gordon

I've been a fan of Sonic Youth since I was about 11. My cousin called me a douchebag for liking them and Beck at that age.

Either way, when this record slaps, it fucking slaps. A lot of it reminds me of early Guerilla Toss except with a less playful, spastic vibe, instead traded in for more industrial, sinister tones. Then you have the quieter tracks, and while some manage to create the headspace they very obviously are going for, a lot are just plain boring. Still, not a bad effort.

Best Track: Murdered Out

rayword45 11-26-2019 05:33 PM

Day 677: Songs For You by Tinashe (Album Choice: David H)

I fucking hate theory and I hate PhD classes that I don't realize are so instead of Master's courses until halfway through the semester. God I need to transfer programs.

Oh right this is a thread about music reviews. Uhhhhh, this album is pretty good I guess? Not exactly my kind of thing, but it's freewheeling, unforced and goes by quick, with a lot of good stuff within here, though I did find myself bored in certain parts.

I wish I had a co-reviewer I hated like this was On Cinema.

Best Track: Life's Too Short

rayword45 11-27-2019 11:26 AM

Day 678: Trying To Find My Next Thrill by Cousin Stizz (Album Choice: Jeremy L.)

I'm seeing this guy live tomorrow, which is mad funny because of friend in-jokes. Hopefully it's a good show.

This album is... consistent. Some of the cuts are legit bangers, but overall it's hard to pick what sticks out here. I actually found myself impressed by some of the lyricism on display here though, can't lie, and the beats might be slightly repetitive but I found myself enjoying the vast majority of them without getting too bored, except in brief weaker moments.

oh shit am i becoming a townie? fuck nooooooooooo haha just kidding i aint white

Best Track: Toast 2 That

rayword45 11-27-2019 02:40 PM

Day 679: Inevitable Demise by Space Camp

This is one of the bands I saw a month ago at a halloween show in a classroom. Machine Girl was supposed to be the last act but they cancelled so these guys were, and they were by far the best act IMO.

This album isn’t from 2019 but if it was it’d be one of my favorites of the year. Reminds me a bit of Midori except they suck and this doesn’t. It’s definitely a lot more structured than the performance (apparently they’re actually a three piece? Only two showed up to Amherst) and just totally different in general but it’s succinct, varies between more brooding moments, straight aggression and just straight-up goofiness flawlessly, and in general I found myself loving every second.

This is a weird thing to listen to before Cousin Stizz.

Best Track: Space Camp Fun Heats Up

aperson 11-30-2019 12:56 AM

ho99o9 - cyber warfare

this seems like it'd be your jam tbh

rayword45 11-30-2019 10:07 PM

Day 680: Two Hands by Big Thief

feh

Best Track: Those Girls

rayword45 12-2-2019 09:58 PM

Day 681: Good Faith by Madeon (Album Choice: choof)

yeah you were right this is boring af, especially for, what, 40 minutes? Fuckin Asians fawning over this guy

Best Track: Nirvana

rayword45 12-3-2019 12:02 AM

Day 682: A Quiet Farewell, 2016-2018 by Slauson Malone

Well it's better than Post-Malone!

Best Track: I can make you feel freedom, Katri…

rayword45 12-5-2019 05:45 PM

Day 683: Hyperspace by Beck

Dude is one of the very first artists I got into but I didn't even bother with Colors last year because I haven't dug any of his albums since Midnite Vultures. If this is ANY better than Colors I made the right decision. Cool opening, bland as fuck after.

Best Track: The opening

rayword45 12-5-2019 10:28 PM

Day 684: Main Pop Girl 2019 by Default Genders

I saw someone who put 1000 gecs as their top album put this as second and morbid curiosity got the better of me. Thank god it did, this is actually pretty good and nothing like that utter garbage. It isn't anything particularly mindblowing but it's warm and I found it pleasant enough to download.

Best Track: too lazy to pick one

rayword45 12-6-2019 10:40 PM

Day 685: Orchestre Univers by Labelle

This sounds like a movie soundtrack. Reviewing a live album instead of a studio one makes me question whether the sound effects present are from background movies or if they're intended to be part of the composition. I hope it's not the latter.

Best Track: uhhh

choof 12-7-2019 11:50 AM

https://jezgro.bandcamp.com/album/re...sions-jcdal001
new album by atomhead under a different name

aperson 12-7-2019 03:07 PM

It's really a shame that mellow gold was so fucking good and every beck release from there has just kept becoming more derivative and insipid. I think the only other bit of refreshment in his discography was The Information, but it's got nothing on his first two.

rayword45 12-9-2019 02:17 AM

Day 686: The NYC Dance Project by MoMA Ready

RIP Juice WRLD, I'm gonna miss the memes and nobody deserves to die so young, especially sad in light of the fact that his seizure was probably caused by him trying to go clean for his girlfriend.

This album is way better than his album. A keeper for sure. dundundundun

Best Track: I Miss Your Love

rayword45 12-11-2019 10:40 PM

Day 687: XYZ by Gloo

This was so underwhelming that I went back and listened to Neo Wax Bloom to see if I liked it as much as I did back in 2017. I don't, but it's still miles ahead of this. There's some good cuts on here but for what is essentially 8 tracks, I shouldn't be bored for half of it.

Best Track: C Thru

Psychotik 12-13-2019 01:06 PM

New Venetian Snares album is out, Greg Hates Car Culture.

rayword45 12-15-2019 03:30 AM

Day 688: And Now by Psychedelic Porn Crumpets (Album Choice: not MarioNintendo)

In turns bombastic fun and annoying cheese. Hopping into an artist with their latest release isn't always a good idea, but I have a feeling these dudes' albums all sound very similar. They're good at keeping things heavy and energizing while maintaining a heady atmosphere, and the whole thing is over quite quick.

Best Track: Hymn For A Droid

rayword45 12-18-2019 04:06 PM

Day 689:

Quote:

Originally Posted by aperson (Post 4703367)
ho99o9 - cyber warfare

this seems like it'd be your jam tbh

I dunno what you think my taste is, this is decent I suppose. Corny in places, enjoyable in others, COMPLETE waste of a JPEGMAFIA feature. I'd like this more if I was still in high school, but it isn't bad.

Best Track: Shadowrun