Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Audio and Music Production (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Recommend me some 2022 albums +1000th album halp (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=137263)

rayword45 09-30-2018 03:12 PM

Re: Recommend me some 2018 albums halp

Day 474: Tru by Ovlov (Album Choice: PixlSM)

Two albums in a row requested by one guy! Haven't done that in what seems like forever. I really liked this band, oh, 3 or 4 years ago but actually haven't listened to Am in just about as long and haven't listened to any of their other shit. Also the fact that they appeared on that shitty alt-right sketch show is weird, but I'm not gonna hold it against them since they apologized.

This is a good, concise album and it sounds exactly how I remember this band sounding except maybe a little more chilled out, moderately Dinosaur Jr-esque and I cannot think of another way to describe them. At certain times I feel like it's too same-y, but there is not a bad track on here and it's only a half-hour so I'll give it some slack there.

Good fuzz for 2018, a year I've been unimpressed by most rock I've listened to. Okay back to the homework I've listened to this album like 5 times and couldn't write more.

Best Track: Half Way Fine
Rating: 7.5/10

PixlSM 09-30-2018 03:18 PM

(:

rayword45 09-30-2018 07:54 PM

Day 475: Lunik by Frank Bretschneider (Album Choice: aperson)

Ironically, given the person who recommended this album, I think I'd enjoy this a LOT more if I was tripping sack or something.

That's not to say that this is a bad album, but rather that this music is somewhat and somehow different in tone than I initially expected. I expected something much more cold and mechanical-feeling, and while this DOES fit both of those criteria, there is also an undercurrent of psychedelia that runs throughout the album. Was that intended? Or am I just shouting out my own wrong interpretation? Who gives a shit?

Also this album is too long for its own good and kinda gets boring up until the end when suddenly the amount of melody spikes up. Not a bad album, but it's obviously very niche and I'm focusing too damn much on my math studies to actually go in-depth here.

Best Track: Sputnik
Rating: 6/10

Deadlyx39 10-10-2018 10:07 PM

Another one that came to mind is City by Strapping Young Lad.

rayword45 10-17-2018 04:08 PM

Day 476: Tha Carter V by Lil Wayne

...did he HAVE to make the first real track the one featuring XXXTENTACION? I mean rest in peace and all, but ? was still a great representation of the dude's musical talents AKA nearly none and jesus fuck this is just unnecessary.

I've listened to this album 4 times in full since it came out, and still have remarkably little of worth to say. No other songs reach the nadir of the aforementioned first one, in fact after that this project is remarkably consistent, which I'm not sure is made more or less impressive in light of the fact that half of these tracks are 5+ years old now. There are a few duds here and there but the fact that I want to cut less than 30 minutes out of this project when it's fucking movie length is amazing on itself. Either way, this is waaaaay more enjoyable than Sorry 4 The Wait 2 was, which I still stand by as terrible.

Sorry I don't have more to say. Look, you already listened to this or you didn't, and if you did you know exactly where you stand. This is unnecessary.

Best Track: Mona Lisa
Rating: 7/10

noname219 10-17-2018 10:33 PM

Two new suggestions :
Church of Misery - Houses of the Unholy
Noname - Telefone

rayword45 10-24-2018 02:11 PM

Day 477: Konoyo by Tim Hecker

Why do I continue doing this? Why do I write some bullshit in a post for 3 people to read instead of going to class like a good student? I don't know, maybe I've found this slightly cathartic over the past few years. Goddamnit I need to stop being such a lazy fuck. However I slid through the first couple years with decent grades I've now forgotten and I need to get back on track. Will I ever find love? Do I want to find love? ...nah not right now but finding happiness in some small form besides getting drunk and making regrettable decisions would be nice, and better for my liver. Why am I broke? Why don't I get a fucking job? I need money. Are these the kinda pathetic questions and emotions this dude was tryna bring up to the surface for this album or not? Cause I'm thinking it was meant more to be cryptically nostalgic.

Oh yeah. Finally listened to that new Tim Hecker album and liked it but didn't love it. The last track is pretty annoying in large parts and so are the first couple minutes of the first track but otherwise it's an improvement on the last two. Will relisten to see if my opinion changes.

Best Track: In Mother Earth Phase

PixlSM 10-25-2018 01:25 PM

if you still want 2018 albums theres that c418 release from last month

rayword45 10-31-2018 11:31 AM

anyone here ever see olafur arnalds live? contemplating it for thanksgiving weekend

also next bad review coming today probably

rayword45 11-1-2018 12:11 AM

Day 478: Dead Magic by Anna Von Hausswolff

Going down the 2018 charts on RateYourMusic to judge the internet music nerd consensus taste. This one's pretty high up on the charts, top 5 I believe? I know nothing about whatever the fuck darkwave is other than I've listened to a few albums of the genre, let's check this out.

The first track starts gorgeously, with a spare organ being met with airy, ritual-esque vocals and spare string orchestration. Then it devolves into some weird, agitating accordion-sounding bullshit and meanders for about eleventy-seven years. What a disappointment, although it started well enough. The other super-long song, the centrepiece of the album, has no such annoying passages and is a much heavier, more rock-esque track which fits my taste perfectly.

As for the short songs? Or well, relatively shorter? Closer Källans återuppståndelse is a beautiful funeral dirge which closes perfectly with some feedback and fuzz, The Mysterious Vanishing Of Electra is a haunting ritual chant where the overaffected, screechy vocals actually work, and The Marble Eye just sounds like creepy church music.

Overall? Hit-or-miss. I laud the atmospheric approach to this whole thing but it doesn't make every track automatically good or interesting. I'll return to this for a third time later and see how my opinions shift.

Best Track: Ugly And Vengeful
Rating: 5.5/10

rayword45 11-6-2018 12:15 AM

Day 479: Year Of The Snitch by Death Grips (Album Choice: Jack L.)

I can't believe this meme hasn't died yet. This album is okay but as someone who likes the genres they're going for this time around, I found myself amazingly disinterested, and I feel like a lot of these songs aren't even fully finished. Some good tracks, a lot more grating tracks, MC Ride screaming and shit over broken drums you know how it goes.

Definitely not my favorite album of theirs.

Best Track: Black Paint
Rating: 4.5/10

PixlSM 11-6-2018 04:06 PM

seconding the daughters album
fantano liked it so I was surprised when it wasnt garbage

rayword45 11-12-2018 10:04 PM

Day 480: The Now Now by Gorillaz (Album Choice: MixMasterLar)

The last Gorillaz album I reviewed was Demon Dayz way back in... 2013 maybe? These guys (or this guy?) never really clicked for me on the same level that so many others seem to be on, but they're fun and catchy enough I suppose. Exorbitant ass concert tickets though, definitely not worth it. The last album I remember reviewing recommended by this guy was Becoming X and that grew from decent in my books to an all-time favorite so that makes me hopeful for this one, at least in the long-term.

Wait, this is hip-hop? What the fuck is hip-hop about this? There's literally only one song with any rapping on it, which is probably the worst song here, and these certainly don't feel like hip-hop beats to me. This is more space-synth than anything.

But is it any good? Well, I definitely like this more than I liked Demon Dayz so that's a plus. The best songs like Lake Zurich and Tranz are gloriously future funky, whereas the slow jams like Idaho and One Percent do nothing for me (and like I said before, that one song with Snoop Dogg really sucks). Also lol at the fact that there's a song here called Fire Flies. For it's 41 minute running time, I enjoyed roughly two-thirds of this album, maybe a bit more. That sounds bad, but it's not because the good songs are really fun whereas the lesser tracks are merely unmoving, not offensive.

I hate math homework.

Best Track: Lake Zurich
Rating: 6.5/10

rayword45 11-12-2018 11:02 PM

Day 481: Now Only by Mount Eerie

A Crow Looked At Me was one of my favorite albums of 2017, and it was also impossible to review due to how personal the album really sounded.

This is the indirect sequel to that album, I guess as part of Elverum's grieving process. Unfortunately, he used up basically all the good songs on that last album, and the lyrics were better when they weren't originally intended to be lyrics.

Don't feel like writing more considering I'm already hella late on this album anyways. Dude's remarried, clearly he's at the acceptance phase.

Best Track: Crow Pt. 2
Rating: 5/10

QueenAshy 11-13-2018 02:24 AM

Camellia - Planet Shaper

Does this album really need an introduction? Just give it a listen.

Also, Pink Floyd - dark side of the moon is good as well

dashoe93 11-13-2018 09:53 AM

REMNANT by Lorn

Haven't listened to these, but randomly looking for 2018 albums:
Leather Teeth by Carpenter Brut
Lamp Lit Prose by Dirty Projectors

MarioNintendo 11-13-2018 11:01 AM

Darlène - Hubert Lenoir
(It's pretty varied so hopefully you will find something you like in it)

PixlSM 11-13-2018 11:42 AM

William Basinski +Lawrence English - Selva Oscura
is pretty good if you havent heard it yet

rayword45 11-23-2018 08:13 PM

Day 482: Drip Season 3 by Gunna (Album Choice: college ppl)

30% good

Ratng: 3/10

rayword45 11-26-2018 03:44 PM

Day 483: Tell Me How You Really Feel by Courtney Barnett

Sometimes I Sit And Think, And Sometimes I Just Sit was an album I loved immediately after hearing it, and it ranked as one of my favorite albums of 2015 at the time. Now? Well, it has some great songs on it for sure but the mood of the album is a bit... odd, like the album feels too smirky for its own good. I still enjoy it, mind you, but it's not the revelation I originally found it to be and I never bothered listening to her collab with Kurt Vile.

This album, while still having some of that same irony that basically defines Barnett's songwriting, comes across as a lot more somber and genuine, at least at first. This leads to arguably three of her greatest tracks ever at the opening of the album, with Hopefulessness standing out as particularly beautiful.

Sadly, after that first 3 track run the album never quite picks up the same steam it had, and worse songwriting makes the preciousness of the lyrics all too apparent. I used to like her raucous cuts the best, but the only track here that utilizes that mood (I'm Not Your Mother, I'm Not Your Bitch) is grating and easily the worst track on the album, the other tracks ranging from meh-to-good. The closer is nice, if not quite as good as the first few songs.

I may not be fawning over this album and it does have some flaws, but over it's still a worthwhile listen if on the strength of its opening alone and I still look forward to her future efforts.

Best Track: I already said it

rayword45 11-29-2018 03:39 AM

Day 484: Remnant by Lorn (Album Choice: dashoe93)

This is definitely one of the better albums I've reviewed this year. The dark ambience tracks are mostly hit-or-miss ([b]I Am A Dagger works as an intro I guess, but it's still boring to be frank), but when the beats come in this album oscillates between utterly infectious and Clark-level moving. It's not a stylistically coherent album and often I can't tell whether dude is tryna be creepy or catchy,

Or maybe that's just my study brain talking, but then I've listened to this thing like 4 times now within the past 2 days and each listen is still great. I will revisit this at least once before year's end I promise.

Also I wanna tripsit my friends to this album, and that's always a good thing.

Best Track: ill edit this tmr
Rating: 8.5/10

dashoe93 11-29-2018 08:38 AM

Hell yeah. Glad you liked it. I love Lorn's stuff. Feel free to check out his other albums whenever you have time if you haven't already. So many good tracks.

DeciBel1231 11-29-2018 02:53 PM

Machine Girl - The Ugly Art

rayword45 12-4-2018 01:12 AM

Day 485: Some Rap Songs by Earl Sweatshirt

Awful title, he should've went with I Went Outside, I Still Don't Like Shit. Also not fond of the album cover. Also not fond of the fact that this dude went ghost for three and a half year just to drop under 25 minutes of music.

And all that being said, this is still on par with Veteran for my favorite hip-hop release of the year, definitely an improvement over his past work IMO and you know how hard I stan this ugly-ass dude. There's enough thunkpieces out there about this one, I recommend you read none of them and just listen to the damn album.

Best Track: Red Water
Rating: 9/10

Deadlyx39 12-5-2018 04:57 PM

If you’re interested in Live Albums, you might like ‘Live’ Bullet by Bob Seger or Frampton Comes Alive! by Peter Frampton.

rayword45 12-7-2018 02:30 PM

Day 486: You Won't Get What You Want by Daughters (Album Choice: NinjaSM and PixlSM)

This is, as of right now, supposedly the best album of 2018 by consensus. Internet basement music nerd consensus, at least.

The first half honestly somehow just sounded like they were trying to ape a more energetic Swans or something, maybe a bit of Birthday Party in there. The second half of the album is much more interesting and raucous.

I have nothing else to say. It's not bad but the first half is preventing this from ranking on my year end list.

Best Track: The Reason They Hate Me

PixlSM 12-8-2018 04:01 PM

I guess when you listened to that Daughters album you could say that you didnt get what you wanted

dashoe93 12-8-2018 04:43 PM

I'm just digging through random artists to see if they came out with something new this year so gloss these if you don't want to listen to them. They're in order from stuff I'd probably check out myself to stuff I care less about.

the world within - josh pan
Sinner's Syndrome - Moderator
Pandemonium - Slugabed
Weed Garden - Iron & Wine
Loma - Throwing Snow
Hill Climber - Vulfpeck
I can feel you creep into my private life - Tune-Yards

I don't know if anniversary editions count lmao but here's one
Parc Aventue 10th Anniversary Edition - Plants and Animals

PixlSM 12-9-2018 12:27 AM

just gonna recc some albums I dont see rated on your rym

Cornelius - Fantasma [Shibuya-kei]
The Veldt - Afrodisiac [Proto-shoegaze/Soul]
The Holydrug Couple - Moonlust [Psych-pop/Dream-pop]
Cap'n Jazz - Analphabetapolothology [Midwest emo]
The Dismemberment Plan - Change [Math rock/Indie Rock]
Starflyer 59 - The Fashion Focus [Shoegaze]
Disco Inferno - D.I. Go Pop [Post-rock/post-punk/sound collage/plunderphonics/noise pop]

rayword45 12-9-2018 01:31 PM

Day 487: The Ugly Art by Machine Girl (Album Choice: DeciBel1231)

These songs frequently hit the border between dope af and lame af. I hate to use such a tired term, but A Song Called Clive Barker has brief spurts of "HELL YEAH!" followed by just... cringe shit. Congratulations is a bit better at mixing the kitsch into the heavy energy, that's a better, if still flawed, track. On the other hand, songs like This Is Your Face On Dogs, Psycho Signal Jammer and Fuck Your Guns are fun bursts of pure energy, marred only by the shitty lo-fi production. The last track is also pretty great but had no reason to be over 10 minutes.

Compared to the last album I tried by this band, their 2017 release which I didn't review because it shit the bed with boring bullshit after a great opening track (which, IMO, beats every track on this album), I'm finding that a lot of the tracks I like are what I assume are meant to be instrumental transitions. Loop Version is gloriously Fuck Buttonsy, NWOFKA Skullboy is some fun tech house and Where Were You... Well, it's not great because the vocal samples are kinda stupid but it's an interesting piece of ambient that I can't see making anyone wince.

Outside of those, it's hit-or-miss, albeit a lot more engaging than that 2017 release. Maybe I like this one better because it doesn't have such a contrast between highs and lows, I dunno whatever.

Best Track: Loop Version

rayword45 12-9-2018 02:27 PM

Day 488: Love In The Time of Lexapro by Oneohtrix Point Never

I wasn't sure if I was gonna even try this one, but it just so turns out that I have exactly 20 minutes to spare so I'll give it at least one go around... and probably end up spinning it a couple more times ah well whatever.

The first minute or two of the album is the best part overall, but the back half is much more enjoyable to me than the first, which is surprising consider I'd usually hate a purely acoustic Sufjan-y jam (well a remix of that jam, but its changes are rather subtle lol) on an electronic album. But that's fine because there's not much filler or otherwise shitty shit to be found here, it's all pretty good.

This a pretty good EP.

Best Track: Thank God I'm A Country Girl (I wonder if this will be a controversial pick, it's the shortest song on the album and doesn't morph much, it just stays its skittery self)
Rating: 8/10

Crazyjayde 12-9-2018 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4661453)
has brief spurts of "HELL YEAH!" followed by just... cringe shit.

You mean brief spurts of Death Grips followed by Mindless Self Indulgence?

Anyway since you look like you're going down the 2018 charts you should probably skip down to Mid-Air Thief, I swear it's worth your time and will probably lift your spirits up.

PixlSM 12-9-2018 07:38 PM

the midair thief album is just watered down sweet trip

still decent though

rayword45 12-10-2018 11:31 AM

Day 489: Selva oscura by William Basinski and Lawrence English (Album Choice: PixlSM)

Selva oscura wavers more throughout its duration than Mono no aware, and the former generally feels a bit more sinister, not that the first didn't have some darker sections.

I really dunno what else to say this time. I even checked reviews on other websites, something I OBVIOUSLY never do, and they're all a bunch of pretentious pseudo-intellectual babble! The words "dreamy" and "ethereal" were used a bunch but that applies to almost all of Basinski's music. As of this time, this one is decent but certainly not my favorite of Basinski's.

Best Track: Mono no aware

Crazyjayde 12-10-2018 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PixlSM (Post 4661517)
the midair thief album is just watered down sweet trip

Sounds like you found out about Sweet Trip only recently. Apart from dream pop there's hardly a case there. Start comparing it to say Shugo Tokumaru, then your opinion might hold its own.

dashoe93 12-10-2018 04:41 PM

Oh my brother's band is on Spotify. Feel free.

The Last Temptation - Devil's Advocate

PixlSM 12-10-2018 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazyjayde (Post 4661628)
Sounds like you found out about Sweet Trip only recently. Apart from dream pop there's hardly a case there. Start comparing it to say Shugo Tokumaru, then your opinion might hold its own.

I've known about sweet trip for a while
I think the comparison in aesthetic and general mix of dreampop with more electronic genres is sound

Crazyjayde 12-10-2018 05:37 PM

Alright, just making sure you realize it's a hella broad comparison, cause uh psych has kind of been a thing for a while in east asia.

rayword45 12-11-2018 07:38 PM

Day 490: Room 25 by Noname

This is, like, the opposite of every other hip-hop release I've reviewed this year, the closest being Some Rap Songs. But where Earl's release was depressed and lo-fi, this is significantly more lush and optimistic. And female.

I dunno how to review this in the context of a hip-hop album, but as a chillout album it's pretty damn great, and breezes by quickly enough, moving through pop, funk, The Internet-esque R&B and even a little bossa nova. Okay, the bossa nova track is the worst one here. The lyrical delivery is similarly understated but never boring, and her flows fit the beats very well.

Nothing else to say. Again, FUCK COLLEGE.

Best Track: Part Of Me (at first I thought Kendrick was on this track lol)

rayword45 12-11-2018 08:44 PM

Day 491: Darlène by Hubert Lenoir (Album Choice: MarioNintendo)

When this first came on, for some reason Japanese music came to mind, especially Nintendo music (okay no pun intended seriously I didn't even realize who recommended this album until I finished this review), even though the vocals are blatantly French minus a few English songs.

The upbeat tracks are not to my liking, coming off as a bit too glammy and cheesy (seriously, why the fuck did they use generic horn sound on Ton hôtel? Who the fuck thought that was a good idea?), but the chiller lounge tracks like Recommencer, Darlène, darling and Wild and Free are pretty.

I dunno why I expected something like Gainsbourg, but I barely got it and I'm disappointed as a result. Not terrible but probably not gonna be on my year-end list unless subsequent relistens reveal something new to me.

Best Track: Excluding the slower tracks, Cent-treizième rue is quite fun

rayword45 12-11-2018 09:41 PM

Day 492: The World Within by Josh Pan (Album Choice: dashoe93)

Why does every fucking 2018 list have new Low and Arctic Monkeys albums on them? Are these bands really dropping shit that's good enough to justify their ranking on these lists, both in comparison to all the fresh artists and in comparison to their past work? I don't dare to find out.

Anyways, to this EP! This guy is part of 88rising, which I've never listened to but I know too many fuckin Asian chicks love. The first song sounds awfully AnCo-esque but a bit less cluttered. Actually, that basically describes the whole EP, with a bit more influence from modern EDM like Flume or something, and some old school house (The beat of Take Your Time sounds an awful lot like it was sampled from Short Circuit) and future funk like Skylar Spence.

Perfectly pleasant with no bad or grating tracks, but not phenomenal. Also some of these lyrics are dumb.

Best Track: Overdue

rayword45 12-12-2018 12:54 PM

Day 493: Whack World by Tierra Whack

Is this the year of the sub-30 minute hip-hop album? Of course it is that ain't even a question lol.

This album consists of 15 one-minute tracks. That combined with the title made me expect something akin to JPEGMAFIA, but where that felt like a deconstruction of soundcloud rap this feels more in line with other soundcloud rap, other than the shortness of the tracks. Certainly far less abrasive and experimental on the whole.

Most of these snippets are good and catchy minus a few actually awful tracks like the weirdly twangy Fuck Off, but therein lies the problem. The last album I remember listening to with the same gimmick was The Residents' Commercial Album, but there there felt like MORE of a reason for the gimmick, and trying the same "loop it 3 times" trick does nothing for me, not that that was the point. And comparing this to something like Some Rap Songs these tracks feel WAY less developed.

Enjoyable but underwhelming.

Best Track: Sore Loser

rayword45 12-12-2018 03:57 PM

Day 494: Safe in the Hands of Love by Yves Tumor

This second track kinda sounds like Tri Repetae-era Autechre.

Once again my expectations turned out to be mismatched. I expected something borderline Godspeed-esque, probably due to the artwork, but thankfully this isn't quite as bombastic minus a few tracks like the ending, instead shifting through dance-y shit and psychedelic pop. Hope in Suffering is goofy as fuck, why did he include that?

I wanted to write more but I've listened to this three times now and I should focus on studying.

Best Track: Honesty

rayword45 12-12-2018 09:22 PM

Day 495: Hive Mind by The Internet

I still love Ego Death and Syd is easily the third best member of Odd Future by consistency (although Tyler could prove himself if he stays consistent). Steve Lacy is pretty cool too.

Nothing about this album is really that different from their last release, but based on what I've heard about their earliest work that's a good thing. The only downside is that nothing here is nearly as perfect a pop song as Curse still is.

Tyler don't fuck your career up.

Best Track: Come Over

rayword45 12-12-2018 10:04 PM

Day 496: Be The Cowboy by Mitski

This was Pitchfork's number one album of the year. Does anyone still care about Pitchfork? Yeah, I thought not. Pretty sure that entire base either got old or started watching the melon instead.

The stretch from A Pearl to Pink In The Night is fucking great, like I'm actually impressed that there was not a single minute in there that I was bored. Even Lonesome Love, which is the kind of "I wanna be country now" track that I usually hate, is a burst of pleasure after the shaky first 30 seconds.

I really didn't come into this with high expectations, but I have no real reason for that other than contrarianism. Or maybe anti-Asian racism (Kero Kero Bonito can suck my dick). Regardless, this is a GREAT album. It lulls a bit at the beginning and at the end both, but that middle stretch is incredibly danceable and joyous. She really should avoid the spare piano dirges and just stick to the more lush, upbeat style the majority of this album covers. VERY surprised, this might end up on my end of year list.

Best Track: A Pearl

rayword45 12-13-2018 12:25 AM

Day 497: Karma 2 by Dave East (Album Choice: Z.S)

Y'know, I've never listened to a Migos album in full, and this album is a good example why. It's literally one-third the length and I still felt totally drained by the end. Maybe because it's almost 2AM? IDK. Good lyrics, other than that this is a run-of-the-mill hit-or-miss trap project.

Best Track: man i'm fucking tired

rayword45 12-16-2018 02:08 AM

Day 498: Wide Awaaaaake! by Parquet Courts

AWFUL title. The more traditional punk tracks that make up most of the first half are fun, although the lyrics do nothing for me. The weird experimental pop tracks that make up most of the second half are hit-or-miss. I don't get the hype.

Best Track: Back To Earth

rayword45 12-16-2018 07:55 AM

Day 499: Crumbling by Mid-Air Thief (Album Choice: Crazyjayde)

Been a while since I listened to one of your recs, hasn't it? Maybe, I'm not really sure. And it looks like 2018 will be the first year in years that I delve heavier into Japan-people music and actually enjoy myself. Just kidding, this is a KOREAN album, and I know almost nothing about Korean music other than how utterly horrific their K-Pop industry is. Good thing I don't like that sugary crap anyways.

This is basically the opposite of what I perceive K-Pop to be moodwise, in that it's incredibly subdued, lo-fi and hazy. There are energetic moments for sure, but they're always under a thick layer of fuzz and static. Basically, this is just psychedelic folk with some extra electronics on top, somewhat reminiscent of an earlier Animal Collective EP (boy I reference those fools a lot, don't I?) but... less bad and less wanky. Here you get frequent juxtapositions between slow acoustics and groovy, sparkly electronics, and despite not understanding a damn word these people are saying I found it to be pretty coherent and flow very well overall.

My only remaining comment is does this really count as "Folktronica" because I don't think this would be considered electronica in any other circumstance, man whatever that's a shitty name for a genre.

Best: Curve and Light

aperson 12-16-2018 01:22 PM

do 4 minute EPs count?

DJ Madd - Booty Wine

Crazyjayde 12-16-2018 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4662674)
My only remaining comment is does this really count as "Folktronica" because I don't think this would be considered electronica in any other circumstance, man whatever that's a shitty name for a genre.

Anything -tronica really just is an umbrella term, a poorly named umbrella term for sure, but way less outrageous than tagging it glitch pop.

But yeah it's been a while I haven't recced something, although I hardly ever do anymore, maybe exclusively when discussing music IRL even, but hey I'm still keeping track of everything you write on here, and actually came around to appreciating your hazy posting, cause fuck college. Just realized you had an RYM account also. I've got a 2018 list on there if you care or I can always throw some picks here and bother noname for some of his too. Share for share I guess we're always looking for something fresh.

rayword45 12-18-2018 03:09 PM

Day 500: Twin Fantasy (New Version) by Car Seat Headrest (Album Choice: noname219)

This band never really did it for me, and I'm not gonna be listening to both versions side by side, at least not yet. Maybe at the beginning of 2019 I'll do a comparison review, but in the meantime I'm too busy cramming this goddamn math bullshit.

Why are these songs so fucking long? High To Death is nearly 8 minutes, a good quarter of it is dead space, and it's only the third longest song here! Other than that, this basically sounds like Weezer to me except with more fu- I mean "indie" flair. It's not atrocious nor is it amazing to me, and it's about half hit half miss working for time, although by SONG it probably has a slightly better hit rate.

What a disappointing 500th review lol I'm not putting in more work, I'll do a better one for 525 to make up for this lack of writing quality.

Best Track: Sober To Death

rayword45 12-18-2018 03:15 PM

Day 501: Booty Wine by DJ Madd (Album Choice: aperson)

I just saw what Booty Wine actually means and that's pretty fucking rape-y. Song is enjoyable enough, though I don't particularly dig the sample.

Best Track: There's only one song here

PixlSM 12-18-2018 04:41 PM

Why would you subject yourself to the shitty version of twin fantasy

rayword45 12-19-2018 03:40 PM

Day 502: Die Lit by Playboi Carti

The other day some dude complained on RateYourMusic about how at trap shows they often only play 45-90 seconds of each track instead of the whole thing.

This album is a fantastic argument as to why that's a good thing. Better beat choice than ever but I swear all Carti can muster up the energy to do is exist on a beat. Also fuck Nicki Minaj.

Best Track: Fell In Luv followed by Shoota

rayword45 12-21-2018 04:28 PM

Day 503: Joy As An Act Of Resistance by Idles

It's pretty good.

Best Track: Never Fight A Man With A Perm

rayword45 12-22-2018 05:02 PM

Day 504: Twisted Crystal by Guerilla Toss

I saw that the melon put this on his top 50 for the year after dissing their old style. That makes me mad because their old style was so much better.

This isn't a BAD album, it's pretty decent, but I usually expect better from this band since I've been a fan for so long by my lifetime standards. Half of these songs are great, especially the ones that harken slightly back to their older shit with fucked up structures and atonal riffs, but a bunch of songs just feel too cutesy and obnoxious, like whose idea was the dumb surf rock guitar line in Come Up With Me? And Jesus Rabbit has to have the most glaringly dumb lyrics I've heard from this band that sang about cigarettes and candy sex in the past. It's not the poppiest songs or the noisiest, most experimental songs that annoy me, but the ones that sit on that lame in-between where something just seems to be screaming "look how quirky we are!"

I want a full album of Smack The Brick-style cuts and I won't be happy until I get it. I'm super glad I got to see these guys live during their noisier era, I wonder if their shows are as good nowadays.

Best Track: Hacking Machine

Jonlovesddr 12-23-2018 02:05 AM

u got to get on the album: Louis Cole - Time

rayword45 12-26-2018 08:49 PM

Day 505: Approximately 1​,​000 Beers by Jeff Witscher (Album Choice: Well, nobody really, but my friend decided to try a random album off the TinyMixTapes year end list and said "I need hard drugs to understand this" so I decided to give it a shot)

I need hard drugs to understand this.

If this is intended to be a serious art piece... what the fuck? If this is just bullshitting around, I found some parts chuckle-worthy, and some of the more chopped and screwed tracks have an interesting atmosphere to it.

But in general... man, what is going on at the TinyMixTapes offices?

Best Track: You Gave Me The Keys
Rating: 3.5/10

rayword45 12-26-2018 09:56 PM

Day 506: Venetian Snares x Daniel Lanois by Venetian Snares & Daniel Lanois

Lazy album title. Better artwork. The first three tracks are banging and the last track is gorgeous. The rest kinda bore me, although 5 is decent.

Best Track: United P92

rayword45 12-26-2018 10:29 PM

Day 507: El mal querer by Rosalía

Clearly, I'm just trying to cram in as many albums as possible as I can before 2019 at this point. Expect a few more obscure cuts after this, and feel free to recommend whatever the fuck you like, the weirder the better.

This... is new territory for me. I've listened to Spanish-language albums for sure, but flamenco pop is NOT what I usually listen to. Do I like it? Well, I can tell it's never gonna be a favorite genre of mine, but this album ain't bad! I'm not sure if or when I'd return to it, but it kept me engaged the whole way through and was full of cool little touches and great melodies. Plus, she's a great singer, can't deny that. Weak closer though.

Definitely not gonna make a top list of mine, but I gotta give credit where credit's due and say this is a good album. I rate based on personal enjoyment, but honestly add 1-1.5 points for a more "objective" rating, or at least what I think an "objective" rating should be.

Best Track: Pienso en tu mirá (Cap.3: Celos)

rayword45 12-26-2018 11:08 PM

Day 508: Cranberry by Hovvdy

Reminds me a bit of Sebadoh, I guess, but maybe it's the dude's voice? It's not GREAT, but enough tracks here were interesting that I wanna revisit this, so that's... that's a plus.

Also I don't care what the fuck the year end lists say I'm not gonna waste these precious next 96ish hours listening to new fucking Arctic Monkeys or Low when I could give more relevant or otherwise fresher to me artists a shot instead.

Best Track: Petal

rayword45 12-27-2018 12:22 AM

Day 509: renaissance man by MIKE (Album Choice: nobody but a lot of my friends like this dude)

The name made me think this was Mike Will Made It after a name change. Guess not.

When this album is on, it's on. When it's not on, it's just lame and boring. Has potential and dude clearly has an ear for atmosphere with some big Screw influence, but overall this feels immature. I hope this guy only improves from here.

Best Track: Mother Of God

rayword45 12-27-2018 06:10 PM

Day 510: Loather by goreshit

Hey its Ziggy from The Wire! Except this is from that crappy Larry Clark porno instead.

These first and last tracks are good but not great. Actually I lied, that describes most of this album, but the tracks I mentioned are greater.

Best Track: Loather

rayword45 12-27-2018 07:24 PM

Day 511: Loved by KEN mode

Hilariously enough, I saw this band 3 years ago because I was interested in their opener, Pile, yet I've never listened to any of their albums until today.

The most comparable thing to this album I've listened to is the Daughters album, but this is grimier, sloppier and I personally enjoy it a lot more.

Best Track: The Illusion Of Dignity

rayword45 12-28-2018 07:37 AM

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/raywo...lbums-of-2018/

Feel free to judge my decisions or tell me what I missed. Also, find the FFR profile for 1 credit each!

PixlSM 12-28-2018 08:08 AM

all of those look like ffr profiles
also why'd you make a best of 2018 list and then put the most forgettable of 2018 instead

rayword45 12-28-2018 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PixlSM (Post 4663700)
all of those look like ffr profiles
also why'd you make a best of 2018 list and then put the most forgettable of 2018 instead

Fuk u the new earl was great

rayword45 12-28-2018 08:36 AM

Day 512: Lush by Snail Mail

This is not Mary Lynn Rajskub.

Why is this on every publication's year end list for 2018 I don't get it. This is perfectly average indie rock and the songs all sound the same to me. Also her vocal tics annoy me a bit though just barely.

Best Track: Pristine

PixlSM 12-28-2018 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4663703)
Fuk u the new earl was great

full disclosure i havent actually listened to Some Rap Songs yet

rayword45 12-28-2018 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PixlSM (Post 4663705)
full disclosure i havent actually listened to Some Rap Songs yet

theres a good chance the bottom 3 will leave the top 10 within the next few days

rayword45 12-28-2018 03:02 PM

Day 513: K.T.S.E by Teyana Taylor (Album Choice: mead1)

Pretty consistent album, with the only tracks I outright disliked being Rose In Harlem and the agitating closer WTP, and I liked some of the samples in the latter. Are there other Kanye projects to check out (also I barely noticed his verse lol)? I'm not listening to the white power aryan girl even if she denounced those fools.

Huh, it seems the tracks I disliked are people's favorites. Ah well.

Best Track: Hurry

rayword45 12-28-2018 09:10 PM

Day 514: Time by Louie Cole (Album Choice: Jonlovesddr)

1. The ratio of soft, dreamier songs to more upbeat tracks is WAY too high
2. This album is too long

Cut out about half of the slower tracks and this might make my top 10. The good tracks are bouncy good fun.

Best Track: Weird Part Of The Night

rayword45 12-29-2018 02:24 PM

Day 515: Chapel Perilous by Gnod

I swear every newer noise rock album I've heard in recent years is trying to go for that crushing Swans style, which isn't a bad thing but where is my acidic Brainiac-esque noise? Where's the weirdness of Guerilla Toss (since they quit making noise) or the goofiness of Cows? Some variety goddamnit.

Anyways, the first track and last track on this album are fucking phenomenal. The other tracks are filler bullshit. Ho-hum but luckily they make up the majority of the album.

Best Track: Donovan's Daughters
Rating: 6/10 (this would be a 9/10 EP)

rayword45 12-30-2018 05:19 PM

Day 516: Sekundenschlaf by тпсб

Copying and pasting that title was a pain in the ass.

These first couple tracks match up with ubering in a highway tunnel at dusk really, really well.

Outside of that not, this isn't all that memorable even if a few tracks are pretty dope. I expect this will hold up well to repeat listens, at least, although two didn't make me notice anything significant.

Best Track: Walking Distances

rayword45 12-31-2018 01:23 PM

Day 517: SHo͝oSH by RRUCCULLA

Trying more wonky
Thus far has not been all that
Rewarding for me

Best Track: Tea Gambler

rayword45 12-31-2018 01:57 PM

Day 518: Loma by Loma

Atmosphere? Yes.
Hooks? No.
Good? Eh.

Best Track: Sundogs

rayword45 12-31-2018 04:37 PM

Day 519: Hex Winter by Mechanical Museum

Nice and concise. This is probably my last review of 2018.

Best Track: too lazy
rating: 8/10

rayword45 01-3-2019 12:54 PM

Day 520: The Sea by Somali Yacht Club (Album Choice: Shikari)

It's not that the vocals were bad, they were adequate, but I might actually have gotten more enjoyment out of this if it were fully instrumental. Also I'm starting to think the next good review will be 550. Or later. Or maybe never who gives a shit lol

Best Track: Hydrophobia

rayword45 01-7-2019 11:59 AM

Day 521: The Visitors by ABBA

I decided to listen to this randomly because

A. There was a random RYM thread about Dancing Queen which I unironically like even after being stuck hearing it every day I worked this summer.
2. I see this album on a lot of "most depressing albums ever" or "top heartbreak albums" lists

Aaaand... it's not that good. A few cuts are fairly sad, yeah, particularly during the second half of the original track listing, but this is mostly just the same brand of disco-pop from the few hits of theirs I've heard, except not nearly as catchy. Very meh on this.

Best Track: Should I Laugh Or Cry? or The Day Before You Came including bonus tracks
Rating: 4.5/10