Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Other Music Games (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Which Rhythm Game are you from? and how did you get here (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=151300)

Josemba 09-27-2019 05:09 PM

Which Rhythm Game are you from? and how did you get here

My first one was Jamlegend. I found it on a Minigames site when I was 14.

It closed, a friend told me about Thirdstyle which I played for quite a while and I found almost 99% of Thirdstyle players were from FFR.

I loved FFR instantly because it had dimrain47 and other pieces I played on Jamlegend.

Now I'm happy spamming all the profile chats while playing as a D8 who plays like a D6

If yours was stepmania, specify what version was it.

PhantomPuppy 09-27-2019 05:11 PM

Re: Which Rhythm Game are you from? and how did you get here

technically parappa the rapper, played that a few times as a kid. however, the first one i really got into was FFR, and I dabbled a bit in guitar hero (although I sucked at that game lol)

other than that i play etterna and osumania occasionally.

rushyrulz 09-27-2019 05:11 PM

I watched a GMA segment on dance dance revolution, begged my mom to get me for xmas, played it and was like wow I wish this existed without the exercise component, my cousin's friend knew about something called flash flash revolution, here I am 13+ yrs later.

Gradiant 09-27-2019 05:12 PM

DDR, then cheating on a DDR game on the xbox by using thumbs on a controller, which lead to this

Moria 09-27-2019 05:25 PM

guitar hero and frets on fire, i spent years on both before i joined up to ffr during the 8th official tourney registrations, i did what i could and got 4th in d3,

but plastic instruments were where my heart was and where my rhythm was born from

hi19hi19 09-27-2019 05:26 PM

I'm here from FFR tbh

First rhythm game experience was watching Shashakiro play this then I tried it and I was like, "well that's kinda boring but making the charts seems fun"

Moria 09-27-2019 05:29 PM

really want to post this thing, i havent used it in at least 7 years but hell it got a work out, if you look close at the star power button you can see a caked white mass, that was from a cast when i broke my wrist in my teenage years and i refused to stop playing

i was as dedicated to that game as i was this game

storn42 09-27-2019 05:39 PM

Honestly, i came here from kongregate. Found ffr there and here i am. I played for about a day then forgot about it and the site shut down. Randomly found it again when the site came back up. (Somehow) I had a history of liking rhythm games. Played a lot of guitar hero and found stepmania before really joining. And now im here.
And i cant escape. Send help.

_Zenith_ 09-27-2019 05:40 PM

Dance! Online was my very first rhythm game.

My sister had found it through an add on FOG (iirc) back when that site existed and tried it out and was playing it, and I thought it was silly at the time. I gave it an attempt and I was hooked and before I knew it, my "career" had started. Some consider that to be "SDO-USA" but SDO is the same engine as D!O used to be before it was terminated once Acclaim was terminated.

After that it was Stepmania, and I didn't know anything, never got serious in it. It took until 2009 when I moved back to my hometown and went over my childhood friend's house to say "Hey, I'm back!" and he had a friend over who was playing FFR and introduced me to it, and now I'm here.

Wind0ze 09-27-2019 06:11 PM

stepmania 3.9.

dont really remember how i found this place, maybe it was through discord?

XxXMetalheadXxX 09-27-2019 06:12 PM

I was introduced to FFR by my cousin, Kendall, which signed up a little under 2 years earlier than I did.
Surprisingly her account is still around and she even mentions me in her bio from many many years ago.
We used to always go to my grandma's house after school and play on her laptop, taking turns to try to FC DotA (And back then there wasn't many 'easy' songs per se)
I don't keep in contact with her and haven't spoke in a couple of years but I'm sure if I told her that I still played this and how good I got, she'd be shocked.
I'm gonna have to get in touch with her now.

Funnygurl555 09-27-2019 06:28 PM

i'm from whirled. the rhythm game on that site was whirled beat, which was a shit game ngl, but it introduced me to keyboard-based rhythm games. i fell in love with it, played stepmania briefly while learning to play spread, and then i was here!

Matthia 09-27-2019 07:15 PM

When I was 8, my mom bought me another Nintendo DS game called Lego Rock Band because I basically said "ok I played everything now it's all boring af"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lego_Rock_Band

(I have no idea what happened to the game chip, either mom sold it/dad threw it away or it gets sucked into the archaic closet of oblivion that nobody in my family ever checks)

It was a 4k (or 4b because you used buttons instead) VSRG, and its visual graphics are much similar to that of Guitar Hero's. It uses horizontal lego bars as the noteskin. As I'm going to try my best to recite my memories of how I played and what types of patterns the songs contained, take a look of a gameplay ss

ok memories coming back quick ty random person who took this picture

So with Nintendo DS I used my two thumbs to control/hit the notes with two buttons on each side of the DS. With the patterns and difficulties the songs had I'm pretty sure they are quite simple as the one shown in the ss above, but I do remember a decently fast solo stream section that I remember nailing perfectly, forgot the song of it though (forgot all songs in the game lmao). And yeah last thing to say about is that I loved it. I could not stop loving that game, playing it until parents took it away from me and shit lol. Eventually the age of technology evolved and my interest from playing DS transferred to the Apple iPod Touch.

And then came several years of almost nothing. Guitar Hero was the only closest thing that I wished I had, but it did not quite fulfill my satisfaction. I really loved the idea of notes that fall (This might be the whole main reason why I chose downscroll in FFR) along separate columns while hitting them with corresponding buttons, I just didn't find it comfortable about the way you hit them by using a plastic guitar. When I was about 12-13, I thought of an idea... "Maybe there is a game that is exactly like Guitar Hero but using keys on a keyboard to hit the notes"
The first time I tried to find such a game had failed. I gave up on search-fielding the internet with "guitar hero with keyboard, keyboard guitar Hero game, using keys on keyboard that is not a guitar guitar hero game" :/ dammit because that game I tried to find already exists, and it is even older than me LMAO.

14 years old, I had graduated from middle school, and I get to keep the chromebook (wink wink) that I chose and used in school, for the rest of my life. I played a vast amount of hours into .io games that were becoming trendy over all low teenage middle school boys and younger, so that was that I guess. Yeah and then my chromebook and a couple other things became the center of attention in my life for a while.

September 2017: ok so one time I watched a Minecraft youtuber with a small channel (bout 10k subs) and suddenly in the middle of showing off his hardcore minecraft parkour skills he decided to randomly show his viewers a short clip of his stepmania gameplay. At first glance I was like oh coo- wait a second, Key-cam? Falling notes, and hitting them? oh.

October 2017: I found FFR (I couldn't download stepmania bc chromebooks can't, but luckily I kept looking at the search results for more rhythm games)
It began is all I gotta say. Played as guest for about a solid month, configured around with the settings (includes immediately switching to downscroll; I can still remember my face of disgust when the arrows flew up), and played difficulty 1-10 songs + the ones that appear on the top of each difficulty category like 300 THIS IS SPARTA, 00.01, CIA Rave, 0 piano version, etc. (also loved mashing Undici and DP). My skill level was equivalent to a 20-ish at that time.

November 11, 2017, Veteran's day (Got Veteran status 1.11 years later)
I signed up. Chose Matthia as my username instead of the all out MDGutz1102 I used in all other games since I was 11, so ima thank myself for being old enough to think twice when I saw You Cannot Change Your Username Ever during registering. I started as a level 0 noob. <---- That was only two years ago

[INSERT THE REST OF THE STORY WHERE I NEVER STOPPED GETTING BETTER AT THIS GAME]

tl;dr
I am a FFR main

Rapta 09-27-2019 07:31 PM

I started almost 12 years ago on a rhythm game called Whirled Beat. It was a game on the platform Whirled which has since shut down. I was the single best player with all the high scores on that platform aside from maybe The Homie G who I viewed as my rival, us both being around d4.

I found out about FFR through my friend Funnygurl555 (shoutouts to you fam) who also played Whirled Beat.

FirstMaple8 09-27-2019 07:36 PM

First found FFR. Then moved to maining both SM and FFR and ocassionally playing o!m. Now I main Etterna and play FFR on the side, and play o!m never because it's dogshit.

DaBackpack 09-27-2019 07:59 PM

My dad found a PS1 fingerpad for the original DDR and that technically was my first exposure to the genre but I think my first proper rhythm game was DDR Konamix. I had one of those horrid Madcats hard-plastic pads with the indented steps (fucking oof) but I played it a lot. Once I got a PS2 I got all of the DDR games and bought a really great foam pad. It was like my main source of exercise and boy did it work. Once I went to college I stopped because it was noisy for the rest of the dorms.

I was introduced to these forums because of TWG, the rest is just a coincidence.

SubaruPoptart 09-27-2019 08:12 PM

I think the first one I had ever played was Guitar Hero 3 in late 2007, Rock Band 1 and 2 in 2008, but the first game I was really into was Super Crazy Guitar Maniac Deluxe 2. Back in about 2009, when I was in Kindergarten. Skip forward a few years, I rediscover RB2 in 2014, get RB3 sometime later, and in November of 2014 I came here.

Guitar Hero/Rock Band was what made me get used to downscroll so that's why I use it today : )

-paexaea- 09-27-2019 08:15 PM

Came from DDR originally, then picked up SM 3.9 with plaguemix. Its all been downhill from here lol not really i love playin vsrgs

Skullbac 09-27-2019 08:17 PM

First rhythm game I ever played was a DDR Extreme machine at my local McDonald’s when I was 6 years old. I thought that whenever I saw the arrows I was supposed to step on them, but I couldn’t hear the song very well due to everybody speaking, the game wasn’t very loud and I didn’t know the purpose of the frets. That McDonald’s unfortunately burned down on August 29, 2014 :/

For the next 5 years I played multiple flash rhythm games, until I got Guitar Hero when I was 11, which I played quite a lot.

Once I finished 7th grade, I discovered Nekodancer, and oh boy was I addicted. On the day of its release, I played it all day. Play it almost all day for a month, until I met Gradiant, Charu and gold stinger. Because Nekodancer was too easy, they introduced me to FFR. I can’t remember the first file I’ve ever played, but I believe it was Hardkore Atomic. I did it because I wanted to unlock Disconnected Hardkore, which I found was a super epic song from when I played ITG in Old Orchard Beach, Maine. When I played Hardkore Atomic, I found it to be impossible spam. Today, I am rank 34 and AAAed Call me it. (500 Tortures), a difficulty 99 file.

Arere 09-27-2019 08:19 PM

does that club penguin rhythm game count bc i played that in 2008

Dinglesberry 09-27-2019 08:29 PM

started with guitar hero 2 on ps2 back in the day. found FFR while searching up rhythm games, then shortly after learned about stepmania

back in the day I would just play index stream files constantly, didnt start actually being not 12 years old and wanting to improve until i wanna say like mid 2016.

I used to play stepmania files with no jumps enabled, and on judge 1 cause i didnt care, way back in 2007. needless to say I was an idiot and tbh probably still am

edit: story time, back in around 2009, during the FFR blackout when the site literally disappeared, I somewhat lost interest in rhythm games... then one day, I remember seeing a friend in computer class one time, playing FFR on lightdarkness, shoutouts to anyone who remembers that old mirror... im like yo wtf i didnt know FFR was still around, then he told me about the mirror, then I asked him to play vertex beta and he was like "uhh do you mean vRofl?" and im just like nah, the regular one, and he did pretty good on it from what I remember.

I wonder if he still plays, i doubt it but maybe

edit 2: thinking more about it, I maaaay have found FFR because of myspace... remember the old band widgets http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/widgets/ , people used to stick those on their myspace page and whatnot, I feel like i probably found the game via one of a friends myspace but I have no idea

edit 3:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Josemba (Post 4699362)
I loved FFR instantly because it had (has) dimrain47 and other pieces I played on Jamlegend.

shiit, it might have also been cause of this... back when I was younger I was on newgrounds constantly, playing flash games, trying to level up on the site.. I remember in elementary school id come home and make sure to vote on the 5 daily portal votes to get my xp points lol

apparently I only got to level 9 tho lol, even so it was fun times.. I remember being super into the audio portal, and loved dimrain47, paragonX, and all those other obscure newgrounds artists lol... good times (I actually have an animation I made that won "turd of the week" on newgrounds because it was like 1.47/5 rating lul, but I sure as hell am not gonna post my username, my forum posts from back then are waaaay too cringy, realizing it now it shows my global rank in the pic but i doubt that lets you find anything and even if it does I don't really care that 10 year old me was an idiot its sort of to be expected way back then)

Dinglesberry 09-27-2019 08:36 PM

tfw wrote my entire life story

tosh 09-27-2019 08:39 PM

Shortly after my nephew was born, I went to visit my brother and his girlfriend. There, they had one of the DDR games for the PS2 and a foam dance mat. I got frustrated trying to play legit, so I started using my hands on the pad.

My brother's girlfriend watched me do this for a couple of minutes then showed me FFR.

Shadow_God_10 09-27-2019 09:02 PM

I saw some guy playing DDR one day back when I was 13 at an arcade. I came home and searched up DDR simulators and happened upon this website. I've been here ever since!

mellonxcollie 09-27-2019 09:03 PM

DDR would have been my first, we had a machine at the local movie theatre. I got here a long ass time ago when my friend from Neopets who knew I liked DDR told me about FFR

EppuJoloZ 09-27-2019 10:43 PM

Stepmania got me into rhythm games first, in 2015.
I actually found this site sort of by accident XD... I was bored at school, and started looking for a stepmania alternative that you could actually play online, since I didnt want to install like 200MB of songs to my school computers lol.

And then I found FFR. And here I am now :P

inDheart 09-27-2019 11:52 PM

dai brought me here so i guess here

before that i knew about a collection of dancing onigiri charts from a raocow video that's gotta be over a decade old now, but not that i could understand anything about the community behind those so it doesn't really seem worth counting

LaZboy77 12-7-2019 10:24 PM

Guitar Hero was my first rhythm game. I was only borrowing it though, so we had to return it. After that I found a lite version of FFR on miniclip (I think). The rest is pretty much history, though now I've returned to Guitar Hero with Clone Hero since late '18.

icontrolyourworld 12-18-2019 10:51 PM

DDR on PS2, then i saw vegargarddd's dragonforce fury of the storm video shortly after discovering dragonforce for myself. I wondered how the fuck is dragonforce on DDR, found FFR first and found the file on the FFR simfile database, then got stepmania shortly after.

I'm here because of dragonforce, but stayed because i love everyone here :)

Moria 12-18-2019 11:19 PM

I feel like this thread has happened a few times but the answers the same, I started off with GH3 and Frets on Fire. Early highschool and plastic instrument parties, fond memories!

Edit: >.> looks at page 1

woops

flashflash account 12-19-2019 02:24 AM

Arcade ddr and guitar hero 3
Came here for twg (thanks nakah)

ilikexd 12-19-2019 02:30 AM

12 year old me played DDR then googled "ddr for fingers" and stumbled here (and then forgot about it for 10 years).

psychoangel691 12-19-2019 03:23 AM

I'm too senile to remember.

My bother was the one who showed me FFR and he was really into DDR so I guess it was kinda DDR.

Not devonin 12-19-2019 12:53 PM

I played DDR for the first time in University, was told about Stepmania, installed it long enough to go "Having to find and download packs to have songs is dumb I wonder if there's something else" and found FFR

XelNya 12-19-2019 01:46 PM

My sister showed me the game and website.

Then my dumb ass stayed.

Funnygurl555 12-19-2019 07:37 PM

but is your sister hot?

Dinglesberry 12-19-2019 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 (Post 4705783)
but is your sister hot?

lmao

Lycostria 12-19-2019 09:27 PM

I was in middle school and I found 2 students playing FFR on one of the computers in the computer lab. I was interested and asked them about it and they showed me the site. It then became something other students in the school became familiar with while we played.
I remember watching a video on someone making 200+ combos on Delirium and thought that was impossible for anyone to do haha.

Blozheadz78 12-20-2019 11:50 AM

How i got here

I didnt come from any rhythm game I was just browsing rhythm games for browser and then i found this!

SpaceGorilla 12-20-2019 11:56 AM

i come from sm5 alpha after smo folk introduce me to ffr and i still hate ffr

gold stinger 12-21-2019 10:47 AM

DDR Supernova on the Playstation 2. Got addicted to the game in a similar way people here got addicted to Guitar Hero, but a year earlier. Looked up tips and tricks on how to improve at that game once I hit that barrier between difficult/expert charts, and the soft ceiling of using a plastic pad, and it lead me to FFR Forums.

klimtkiller 12-21-2019 02:45 PM

I was on kongregate looking for impossible badges to grind. I found a game called 'Super crazy guitar maniac deluxe 2' which is a left-scrolling rhythm game using arrow keys on one hand and ASD keys on the other. that was the first rhythm game i ever played.

Later I saw someone I watch on youtube (yosniper) playing thirdstyle. i thought it looked really fun, so i played on there for a while too. i found out about FFR not long after starting with thirdstyle, but i didnt start playing ffr as my main rhythm game until a while later.

Quubo 12-21-2019 03:29 PM

I come from the mobile game "BanG Dream! Girl's Band Party!". I decided to play some browser rhythm games. I found Bemuse Ninja (one I found first) and this game. I liked Bemuse more at first because I didn't like FFR's default key set-up. I watched a video about browser rhythm games, and FFR was in the video. After watching that video, I learned how to changed the key set-up. My current key set-up is DFJK.

Sanjixcon 12-21-2019 05:26 PM

I'm from FFR :D stumbled across this site 3.52 years ago after watching random hand-eye coordination videos on Youtube. Never played a rhythm game in my life before this. I remember starting out with 1 hand on the arrow keys thinking how are people so freaking good at this game? Then after a couple weeks I learned about spread technique and was like oh okay now I can actually hold a combo. About 6 months after that I discovered Etterna and that's when the real improvements started and I hope to one day reach D7 on this site :]

untested treatment 12-21-2019 06:06 PM

Started on DanceOnline probably the best player on DanceOnline, no one beat me I destroyed most of them easily, People where in awe at my skill. I actually spent money on it bought some clothes for my character and players where amazed at my cool character, I was the talk of the town!!!! FULL COMBO RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW LEVEL 15, then it went bust maybe in 2009 can't remember.

Andrew WCY 12-21-2019 08:25 PM

I didn't really come from a rhythm game. When I was 12, I saw some Youtube videos on some of the best players at the time playing hard songs in DDR. Searching in Google for 'online ddr simulator' gave me results to some online Flash games and FFR. I eventually stuck with FFR because it feels the best out of all other online alternatives.

Dinglesberry 12-28-2019 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by untested treatment (Post 4705906)
Started on DanceOnline probably the best player on DanceOnline, no one beat me I destroyed most of them easily, People where in awe at my skill. I actually spent money on it bought some clothes for my character and players where amazed at my cool character, I was the talk of the town!!!! FULL COMBO RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW LEVEL 15, then it went bust maybe in 2009 can't remember.

did u ever play SDO-X? SDO-X Global is still a thing

untested treatment 12-28-2019 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinglesberry (Post 4706251)
did u ever play SDO-X? SDO-X Global is still a thing

Yes I did, I remember after DanceOnline closed I had a huge void in my life, I missed tapping the keys to the beats of "Low by Flo Rida" and "Fancy Footwork By Chromeo" (which if I recall was my first lvl 15 Full Combo)

I remember having trouble signing up because it was based in Philippines or Malaysia, I also remember being a beta tester on some strange Dance game which went no where, I would love to know the name of it now.

Dinglesberry 12-28-2019 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by untested treatment (Post 4706254)
Yes I did, I remember after DanceOnline closed I had a huge void in my life, I missed tapping the keys to the beats of "Low by Flo Rida" and "Fancy Footwork By Chromeo" (which if I recall was my first lvl 15 Full Combo)

I remember having trouble signing up because it was based in Philippines or Malaysia, I also remember being a beta tester on some strange Dance game which went no where, I would love to know the name of it now.

https://sdox.cibmall.net/

I played it for a solid bit but I S/A+'d the hardest songs in it and they don't really add more songs so I sorta got bored, it's pretty fun tho, my girl in the BG is lookin fly as hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e21k...youtu.be&t=92s

this is the hardest song in SDO-X tho and its just like lolvibro so idk:

https://youtu.be/HObVADb3yNE?t=112

revolutionomega 12-30-2019 02:37 PM

Originally from DDR, played DDR Max2 Arcade Cabinet at my bowling alley and then my parents bought me Extreme for PS2. I eventually went back to purchase Max, Max2, and went on to buy SuperNova and ITG all for PS2, then buying a foam insert pad at home.

Somewhere in this time frame moving from 8th grade into freshman year my friends in the "Asian Club" who had a DDR Day once a month directed me to FFR and Stepmania. And many years later here I am!

lukestepwalker 02-22-2020 06:57 PM

I think my name gives it away! XD Yeah a DDR player and FFR player around the same time! https://youtu.be/uEu7X6Cv9ws

MixMasterLar 02-22-2020 09:14 PM

Good bump, surprised I haven't posted in this yet

My first music game was Percussion Master and hats off to ya if you've ever been able to play that, it's not exactly a common machine. I wish I could find MP3s of that soundtrack I always wanted to step Rock Opera

But the same arcade had a DDR Extreme back when Extreme was still only a year or so old, and it wasn't long before I got over being nervous about my weight and started it. DDR Extreme JP is pretty much what I consider my first proper rhythm game experience down to grinding out songs and humming the tunes outside the arcade and it's the mix I played my first tournament on.

Which is how I found FFR, sort of; someone had Stepmania on their laptop at the tournament and I was like WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT THING OMG IT HAS ZELDA MUSIC AND SHIT and the dude told me about SM and the site he used to download sims, flashflashrevolution.com

New comers may not know this but the site use to host a metric asston of sims back in the day. You could just use this site as your sole source and never have the time to play them all in your life. You also didn't need an account to snatch 'em, but after a year or so lurking around I decided to make one anyway and I guess I never truly left

devonin 02-22-2020 09:44 PM

I'm from this rhythm game.

ositzxz369 02-22-2020 11:19 PM

I'm from this game. Bro heard it from his friend, then introduced it to me.

M0nkeyz 02-23-2020 08:58 AM

o2jam, started playing it because one of my friends played it. Then I moved to stepmania because I saw clips of stepmaniafreak on youtube and then naturally I heard about FFR and joined.

Netjet! 02-23-2020 09:16 AM

I played DDR originally when I was a kid, but in terms of websites this was my only one. My sister introduced me and my brother in like 2006 when she played the Super Mario Bros Remix song and we got hooked

Staiain 02-23-2020 01:52 PM

StepMania 3.9, i somehow ended up here through ODI forums

pointyEyewear 02-23-2020 04:12 PM

started with ddr extreme 2 on the playstation 2, got here by google searching "ddr flash" about a decade ago

Durvin 02-24-2020 04:11 AM

My uncle introduced me to Stepmania around 2008/2009, where i was told to only use one hand, since two were "wrong" (i sometimes did anyways :3).

I could play up to around 6 footers from DDR packs, and i also spammed (and failed) a lot of super hard charts, which i think were actually HSMP charts like counting snow edit.

Forgot about it and tried to play it again in 2012/2013, but i couldn't navigate the main menu because my keyboard didn't have a working arrow keys lol

Found it again in august 2016, and got inspired to play more after watching videos from people like shashakiro, sakstern and staiain

Black_Shield 02-24-2020 11:06 AM

Like most normal folks, i got hella intrigued with guitar hero and rockband when that all came out in late 2000's, (i still have an OG Red Octane guitar controller), on and off for years, found this site in 2016, burned alot of late on here, got etternia and osu, fell into the project Diva hole for my playstation, and also play cytus... rythym games are fuuun.

Dinglesberry 02-24-2020 12:17 PM

Started back on robeats in 2007

Arere 02-24-2020 12:25 PM

did robeats even exist in 2007

MixMasterLar 02-24-2020 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinglesberry (Post 4699397)
started with guitar hero 2 on ps2 back in the day. found FFR while searching up rhythm games, then shortly after learned about stepmania

back in the day I would just play index stream files constantly, didnt start actually being not 12 years old and wanting to improve until i wanna say like mid 2016.

I used to play stepmania files with no jumps enabled, and on judge 1 cause i didnt care, way back in 2007. needless to say I was an idiot and tbh probably still am

edit: story time, back in around 2009, during the FFR blackout when the site literally disappeared, I somewhat lost interest in rhythm games... then one day, I remember seeing a friend in computer class one time, playing FFR on lightdarkness, shoutouts to anyone who remembers that old mirror... im like yo wtf i didnt know FFR was still around, then he told me about the mirror, then I asked him to play vertex beta and he was like "uhh do you mean vRofl?" and im just like nah, the regular one, and he did pretty good on it from what I remember.

I wonder if he still plays, i doubt it but maybe

edit 2: thinking more about it, I maaaay have found FFR because of myspace... remember the old band widgets http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/widgets/ , people used to stick those on their myspace page and whatnot, I feel like i probably found the game via one of a friends myspace but I have no idea

edit 3:

shiit, it might have also been cause of this... back when I was younger I was on newgrounds constantly, playing flash games, trying to level up on the site.. I remember in elementary school id come home and make sure to vote on the 5 daily portal votes to get my xp points lol

apparently I only got to level 9 tho lol, even so it was fun times.. I remember being super into the audio portal, and loved dimrain47, paragonX, and all those other obscure newgrounds artists lol... good times (I actually have an animation I made that won "turd of the week" on newgrounds because it was like 1.47/5 rating lul, but I sure as hell am not gonna post my username, my forum posts from back then are waaaay too cringy, realizing it now it shows my global rank in the pic but i doubt that lets you find anything and even if it does I don't really care that 10 year old me was an idiot its sort of to be expected way back then)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinglesberry (Post 4715290)
Started back on robeats in 2007

Did your past get George Lucas'd?

Dinglesberry 02-25-2020 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MixMasterLar (Post 4715653)
Did your past get George Lucas'd?

I wish, certain parts at least

katanaeyegaming 03-24-2021 08:20 PM

DDRsn2 and GH2 in 2010.

moved to keyboard arrow game in 2014.

took a break in 2016 before coming to ffr in 2019

Hateandhatred 03-24-2021 09:09 PM

Saw friends play Stepmania sometime in 2007, paid it little mind. Then played the widget version of FFR that Children of Bodom had on their myspace to promote the upcoming Blooddrunk album, which made me interested in flash rhythm games. Played a similar one on facebook, then I remembered Stepmania. Played that for almost 2 years then when visiting my parents in Feb 2011, then while using a computer that didn't have Stepmania installed, I remembered FFR, and joined.

Zlyice 03-24-2021 09:44 PM

Back in 2009, I came across Tap Tap Revenge, which was basically a 3k VSRG that I played on my iTouch. Unfortunately, the game was rather prone to dropping taps, which I found frustrating, so I started looking for alternatives. Found FFR, and here I am still more than a decade later.

kainivy 03-24-2021 11:54 PM

I don't remember how far back it was but i got interested in ddr but was embarrassed to even try it, saw a friend playing stepmania and i decided to try that and enjoyed playing it, then i found out about FFR from my friend when i asked him what he was playing cause it didn't look like stepmania, i also had a myspace and would always go to SGX's profile just to play the songs :) and thats how i wound up here since 2008 :)

_DJ Vinyl_ 03-25-2021 06:22 PM

Funny enough I got here when FFR was in it's lite form with a limited amount of songs. I was playing on my cousins' old computer when I saw the game, it was XP and I played it for the first time.

I was still a guest at the time playing one handed and then when I got my first computer which was a gateway desktop, I played it constantly. Then made an account 7+ years ago. Funny enough half of those years was one handed and today I'm spread DFJK.

To think all it took was a trip to my cousins' house for me to start playing the game for the first time.

sploder12 03-25-2021 07:54 PM

Technically I came from DDR and Guitar Hero which I never actually tried at. My first keyboard based rhythm game was FFR. Reason for coming is cause a friend and I watched a streamer that was ~lvl75 (would play a song or two in-between rounds of a game) and we thought it looked fun.

flashflash account 03-25-2021 08:02 PM

DDR and Guitar Hero

for to play the mafias

Wiosna 03-25-2021 09:57 PM

Friday Night Funkin

mellonxcollie 03-25-2021 10:58 PM

I'm from here baybee

sent by my friend from neopets

awein999 03-26-2021 02:00 AM

wanted to play a rhythm game. friend who doesn't play knew of this site in 2007 and showed me. before this i dabbled in scgmd games on kong and frequency/amplitude on ps2. ffr remains my main rhythm game basically leaving sm and etterna untouched

CammyGoesRawr 03-26-2021 03:01 AM

i guess my first rhythm game was parappa, but i don't consider playing the same demo stage over and over again as something to come from, so ddr was my first actual rhythm game.

my brother started playing ffr in 2004 and i noticed it as an interesting "ddr on the computer". i mindlessly played some stuff one-handed and just kinda never left, somehow learned to use both hands and learned that you don't need to use the arrow keys. here we are.

badman7772 03-26-2021 09:54 AM

Played Amplitude on the PS2 back in 2004, thought it was a cool game but hard when I got to expert mode. XD

Then I started playing some DDR at my local arcade for a bit then decided I wanted to use my fingers to play. Computer at the time didn't have admin rights to install stuff so I had to settle for what I could find, and alas, FFR.

Hakulyte 03-26-2021 12:46 PM

My first rhythm game was Stepmania in September 2004 right when the DDR 8th mix came out. I remember introducing the game to irl friends, but I ended up being the only one that kept playing. I found FFR while looking up songs for Stepmania. That is because FFR used to have a Simfile Database which is no longer here.

When O2Jam came out in February 2005, it shifted my attention away from Stepmania/FFR for a bit until I got stuck at lvl36 because I had to pay to get rings for a challenge. That singlehandedly led me to quit O2Jam, but I still played songs once in a while. I remember playing FFR as a guest for nearly a year at first and eventually joined in July 2005. Back in the day, I was playing Tales of Phantasia and thought Dhaos was a cool boss name so, I swapped it into Xhaos. Eventually, I figured Xhaos looked kinda similar to ThaoR and I didn't like it so, I spent some time thinking at something a bit more unique and went for Hakulyte. That is why Hakulyte is technically my 2nd account. I was watching Naruto at that point, but I was also part of a guild in Ragnarok Online which ultimately led me toward this. Guild master was Zabuza and I was like the coleader, but "Haku" was taken so, I went with Hakulyte and kept that for FFR as well.

Anyway back in 2004~2008, I kept rotating Stepmania/FFR/O2Jam all the time until Osu came out. I got top 200 in the osu circle mode using a mouse and then quit when people started playing with tablets and crushing leaderboards. I wasn't particularly good, it's just that the level back in 2008 was a lot lower. I also broke 3 mouse in that process and it made me not want to come back (spinners are mouse breakers). I tried Osumania and despite liking LNs in O2Jam, I didn't like them in Osumania. I kept getting misses all the time when releasing keys and it never clicked. I guess I can only do this with screencut or a slower speed and all the scrolling space threw me off. It didn't matter if I could AAA everything else, I felt like that ruined my fun overall. Somewhere along these times I also played Audition, Bandmaster and Guitar Hero 3, but didn't particularly get anything worth mentioning in these games.

When it comes to Stepmania, I made it in the top 50 on stepmaniaonline.net but ended up slowly moving more toward FFR. Note that this top 50 is also based on something similar to grandtotal. Anyway, I prefered how FFR had a static song list and technically speaking a "end game". I really liked how I didn't need to download anything and how I could quit and come back at any point easily.

I also played a ton of non-rhythm games and rhythm games for me have always been like some "side game" to play between 2 games. I don't play instruments and I'm not particularly into music either. You would think maybe I'm more on the coding/developing side of things, but that's not really the case either. I just wanted to see FFR slowly get rid of its flaws one by one and hopefully eventually reach the point where I can't think of anything that can be improved.

Fantasticone 03-26-2021 12:52 PM

Maplestory

gold stinger 03-27-2021 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fantasticone (Post 4757762)
Maplestory

Maplestory has a rhythm game in it or is there something here that I'm missing?