Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Give me a song, I'll describe its visuals (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=142669)

Crazyjayde 08-25-2015 02:47 PM

Give me a song, I'll describe its visuals

Self-explanatory. I'm on the bus and this caters to my needs (need to write, need to english, need to music although I can't go around listening to my albums). Any happy hardcore is automatically discarded as full of bubbles.

hi19hi19 08-25-2015 02:52 PM

Re: Give me a song, I'll write its visuals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2U7k63pdxU

The sax solo from Deeply Woven, skip to 20:43
It's several minutes long.

noname219 08-25-2015 03:11 PM

Edgar Varèse :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-R3F3ZVbi8

Or wait, I have something better :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxOCgbk_N7c

I'll probably send you a more serious 3rd track.

Ohaider 08-25-2015 03:11 PM

one of my favs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB3z4ibHSbE

Crazyjayde 08-25-2015 03:24 PM

This will be fun. Will wait until at home with a comfortable setup. You guys can submit more than one song really.

choof 08-25-2015 03:27 PM

http://thomaskoner.bandcamp.com/track/paris-hour-seven

just want to see if we have the same visuals

rayword45 08-25-2015 04:19 PM

I don't have access to YouTube links but these are short as hell

Pussyfootin - Brainiac
Ingrown Mayo - Ween
Wienerschnitzel - Descendents
St Patrick's Gay Parade - Arab on Radar
Leider Geil - Deichkind
Spread Eagle Beagle - Melvins (this one is long)

Crazyjayde 08-25-2015 08:04 PM

Re: Give me a song, I'll describe its visuals

Probably a good idea to state I'm fighting my impulse to look at artworks, I guess I'm conditioned like that. Too suggestive, prefers a fresh mind, yadda yadda.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hi19hi19 (Post 4353751)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2U7k63pdxU

The sax solo from Deeply Woven, skip to 20:43
It's several minutes long.

A sudden, vivid spark in the sky. Silent ceasefire. The mammoth sun has collapsed, its core the crux of creation. Swaying visions of distant constellations. Now merging for a moment. Two prodigious apparitions of lights in an embrace. Mezmerizing delusions. An engulfing passion nonetheless. Millions of suns drifting, some surely approaching. Somehow they all know, but still gaze. Over at the tower, a man, near shadow given its haste, rings a bell.

Went with a little musical context with this one. Djent-like progressive is something that can be very sterile at times. Feels like I have to know my way around this solo and man, that soloist. Why that part especially?

rayword45 08-25-2015 08:35 PM

Dude I'm high please listen to my songs I would get so much satisfaction and they are mostly short as hell (sub-3 minutes)

Crazyjayde 08-25-2015 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noname219 (Post 4353755)

Footage of La Planète Sauvage arranged in a nonsensical collage where most of the sounds are mouthed by the characters. The film strip is recorded scrolling in front of the camera as Edgar Varèse does all kinds of harsh manipulation to it. Like slicing the reel with a utility knife and dropping paint on it.

Interesting piece of musical history but honestly suffers without its context. Hey I don't mind electroacoustic but in a listening context it's too clever for its own good.

Quote:

Or wait, I have something better :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxOCgbk_N7c

Péloquin is naked on a balcony screaming insanity and throwing spoiled milk to passerby. Sauvageau is not faring any better in the alley downstairs playing violin out of stray cats. You are on a washing machine thumping through the streets but you can't quite hear it because there's water in your ear and you just can't. get it. out.

Why do you want visuals? That's basically what you can hear. Fuck you I'm going to have this one in my head.

Crazyjayde 08-25-2015 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4353863)
Dude I'm high please listen to my songs I would get so much satisfaction and they are mostly short as hell (sub-3 minutes)

Sure, gonna edit this post whenever I do. Don't expect me to be fast but you'll find them all here eventually.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4353775)
Pussyfootin - Brainiac

Your pal done fucked up. Crashed his car in a fookin bank (and now the lead singer sings "fake the crash & burn", whatever, that just confirms it). Didn't even crash his car properly in a ditch like everybody else the fucker. You remember.... Wait, actually you don't remember shit, that's the first time you come down to yourself. "Mah nose's wrecked" he whimpers when you kick his seat good. The radio's blaring as you shimmy out of there. Standing convincingly enough upwards, your eyes cross the waiting line. Their eyes don't cross you back. Your legs are wobbly and something brushes past them. "Is that your pig?" the security guard asks inches to your ear...

Man I could go on. Song's banging and could kick anything, even a story. But you get the point. It's a mess and you're in dead center. That's where you wanna be. It's comfortable there.

Quote:

Ingrown Mayo - Ween
Wienerschnitzel - Descendents
Leider Geil - Deichkind

Let's be true here, I put effort into these, unlike your reviews.
I'm serious, fuck off.

noname219 08-25-2015 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazyjayde (Post 4353864)
Péloquin is naked on a balcony screaming insanity and throwing spoiled milk to passerby.

"-Hey! Look at that guy, he's throwing spoiled milk and screaming obscenities to passerby!
-Dude that's just Claude Péloquin, third time this week he's done it.
-Oh, makes sense now."

Also try this song : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0SsSM1Q8sU

hi19hi19 08-25-2015 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazyjayde (Post 4353838)
Feels like I have to know my way around this solo and man, that soloist. Why that part especially?

It's a comfortable home halfway between Sun Ra and Dream Theater.

Crazyjayde 08-25-2015 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noname219 (Post 4353906)
"-Hey! Look at that guy, he's throwing spoiled milk and screaming obscenities to passerby!
-Dude that's just Claude Péloquin.
-Oh, makes sense now."

Fixed

Also if you guys want to try it out, do this one. I'm all ears

@hi19: True that. Hadn't figured how it was related to Cynic. Makes more sense now.

noname219 08-25-2015 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazyjayde (Post 4353933)
Also if you guys want to try it out, do this one. I'm all ears

Little Timmy didn't want to go to the dentist. All those sounds and those smells that came from the machines frightened Little Timmy. This time was worse because the appointment was just before lunch so the dentist's belly was making all kinds of funny noises. But, everything was doing well until the room was filled with a loud explosion : BANG! It was the dentist assitant who dropped the dental drill on the floor. Little Timmy cried until mommy came back. Then, they went home to get both beaten by daddy once again.

rayword45 08-25-2015 10:12 PM

Lol I at least used to put effort into reviewing. That count for anything?

I'll be fucking damned if you can visualize something worthwhile to Spread Eagle Beagle. Take that as a warning or a challenge.

If you want something worth time, try Electro-Shock For President by Brainiac because I'm a huge fanboy and it's only 14 minutes and I consistently visualize the same visuals to it. (Personal recommendation: Treat the first 5 songs as a story, and the last song as a seperated unrelated vignette)

Crazyjayde 08-25-2015 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4353958)
Lol I at least used to put effort into reviewing. That count for anything?

Guess it does. Didn't even start that project because I felt I'd do the same.

Man, I mean, I'm trying to better myself at writing because it feels like such a chore and it shouldn't be, especially when that's part of my career. So yeah a proper challenge is all I ask.

Quote:

Originally Posted by noname219 (Post 4353957)
Little Timmy didn't want to go to the dentist. All those sounds and those smells that came from the machines frightened Little Timmy. This time was worse because the appointment was just before lunch so the dentist's belly was making all kinds of funny noises. But, everything was doing well until the room was filled with a loud explosion : BANG! It was the dentist assitant who dropped the dental drill on the floor. Little Timmy cried until mommy came back. Then, they went home to get both beaten by daddy once again.

That's gold and you know it.

rayword45 08-25-2015 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazyjayde (Post 4353960)
Guess it does. Didn't even start that project because I felt I'd do the same.

And here I was hoping one day you'd attempt to listen to 05 Fuck Em only to give up after a few songs

Crazyjayde 08-25-2015 10:58 PM

Shit you don't know me. I have a bunch of horrible things I still have to make myself suffer through. Though yeah I'd have given up Lil B' after that haha.

yo man im awesome 08-25-2015 11:02 PM

Between the Buried and Me - Backwards Marathon

easily my favorite song off of Alaska

lurker 08-25-2015 11:14 PM

Quote:

varese is a serious pick tho

Crazyjayde 08-25-2015 11:17 PM

Believe it or not, that's why I took it seriously.

yo man im awesome 08-26-2015 12:07 AM

Oh also, can't look for a link right now but Animals As Leaders - Modern Meat

Would love your take on that too

Crazyjayde 08-26-2015 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ohaider (Post 4353756)

- I swore not to come back here. Still never figured out why they'd leave the neons on though.

It was deceptive for how bleak that school was. Its new facade was all the more pretentious and she'd snicker at its sight. The window panes were stretching the halls across its side. She could look inside surprisingly well from afar but it was that sinking feeling nothing had changed that pulled her closer.

She knew the inhospitable turned desolate in silence though never quite understood what it meant. Hostility freed the lobby and stood there placid, unobstrusive below the neon-turned-haven. The humid floors glistening in between shimmers. The pervading void beyond the light dust particles would drift in and out of. The buzzing she'd notice echoing up to the glass. A welcoming warmth crossed her. "All along" she'd think just now; she just never did before.

Yet she still couldn't reach inside so she settled for a lamplight beside in the court where she laid on the green.

This song surprised me halfway through at how effectively evocative it was, like some sort of repressed nostalgia, or that right kind of exhilarating melancholy. Mental stillness. Wanted to slowly cook up something real clean for it and turned out honest. Ah well.

I see Koner and all I'm thinking is I need a focused mind for it. Sleep it is.

Edit:
Quote:

Originally Posted by yo man im awesome (Post 4353976)
Oh also, can't look for a link right now but Animals As Leaders - Modern Meat

Would love your take on that too

Yeah I'm sure Noname has the CD. That's going to be interesting though. It always turned me off how artificial it all sounds, we'll see if that comes through.

rayword45 08-26-2015 12:20 AM

Actually if I can recommend full records

Electro-Shock for President - Brainiac (14 minutes)
The Pod - Ween (76 minutes, but they're all pretty similar in atmosphere so you could take just a few songs out of it)
Goat - The Jesus Lizard (Good chance you've heard this one before, just shy of 31 minutes, and if you don't wanna do this whole record, you should do Lady Shoes without looking at the lyrics, then once you've fully completed your visualization, read the lyrics. Should be amusing)

ilikexd 08-26-2015 12:20 AM

EzExZeRo7497 08-26-2015 06:39 AM

Someone beat me to xerrox isola, shame.

https://celer.bandcamp.com/track/lint-white

Coolboyrulez0 08-26-2015 07:18 AM

aphex twin - XMAS EVET10 (thanaton3 mix)
https://vimeo.com/110379131

Garquillex 08-26-2015 08:29 AM

Yal!X - Forgiven
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjQnr0AVoM4

yo man im awesome 08-26-2015 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazyjayde (Post 4353978)
Yeah I'm sure Noname has the CD. That's going to be interesting though. It always turned me off how artificial it all sounds, we'll see if that comes through.

I'm assuming you're talking about AAL as a whole. Artificial in what way? I just saw them live recently and they play their songs to the tee.

Also, Modern Meat is easily their calmest song, and is nothing like the rest of their first album.

Crazyjayde 08-26-2015 02:07 PM

@rayword: You got me interested with Brainiac and those two other records I've had on my list anyway. Ween still has this elusive status to me and Jesus Lizard is pretty genre defining.

@ymia: No you got me wrong, I mean the first album. Which I believe is the self-produced one with Mansoor from Periphery? It lacks nuance and even then it's dividing. Distortion and cymbals in "Thoroughly at Home" for example give enough texture to support its sharp counterparts and legatos. But then most of it sounds awfully tubular ("Tessitura" is exactly that). It's like their rigs cut out the resonance and the instrumentation becomes stale and rigid.
In contrary, there's an awesome sweep around the first minute mark of "Behaving Badly" where that sort of sound is put to good use. But then the background chords also come out super dry and it doesn't help it stand out. That section basically represents my beef with the album.

Will do more of this tonight. Really looking forward to the recs I see.

Xayphon 08-26-2015 02:23 PM

Degiheugi - L'Improvisation Au Ukulélé

The Breathing Effect - Rising Inside

ASA-Chang&巡礼 – 花 (watch before it gets blocked again)

Hope these can carry you to places

PhantomPuppy 08-26-2015 02:24 PM

have you done the pokemon theme song yet? you have to do the pokemon theme song. otherwise how will you be the very best, like no one ever was?

Crazyjayde 08-26-2015 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomPuppy (Post 4354114)
have you done the pokemon theme song yet? you have to do the pokemon theme song. otherwise how will you be the very best, like no one ever was?

Chessy motivational 90's theatrical ice skating between an histrionic male and female lead where they fake-smile continually and often turn faces to each other inches apart while rolling shoulders. An abundance of background dancers (who also acts as the choir) runs into place determinated and make arching motions with their arms during the chorus. A nondescript live band dubs the song on an elevated platform. The man, short of breath and facing public, genuinely cries at the culmination of the act.

FF_rules 08-26-2015 03:25 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3bX_zwcDm8

Couldn't really think of what to post here so I'll just give the thing I'm listening to currently.

ShurykaN 08-26-2015 04:55 PM

fripside - Late in Autumn

yo man im awesome 08-26-2015 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazyjayde (Post 4354106)
@ymia: No you got me wrong, I mean the first album. Which I believe is the self-produced one with Mansoor from Periphery? It lacks nuance and even then it's dividing. Distortion and cymbals in "Thoroughly at Home" for example give enough texture to support its sharp counterparts and legatos. But then most of it sounds awfully tubular ("Tessitura" is exactly that). It's like their rigs cut out the resonance and the instrumentation becomes stale and rigid.
In contrary, there's an awesome sweep around the first minute mark of "Behaving Badly" where that sort of sound is put to good use. But then the background chords also come out super dry and it doesn't help it stand out. That section basically represents my beef with the album.

Okay I see what you mean. I just personally enjoy the sound. Honestly their most recent album blows the previous two out of the water, I have have personal preference to Tempting Time, Modern Meat, CAFO, and Song of Solomon.

I'm not very good when it comes to speaking technicalities with instrumentation and production, but I'm pretty sure I understand what you mean. I think their most recent album "The Joy of Motion" would be much better for you. Off of that album personal favorites are Ka$cade, Tooth And Claw, Mind-Spun, and Nephele.

Excited for the descriptions though. And here's the youtube link plus 1 more because I can:

Modern Meat

Scale the Summit - Evergreen (Starts at 0:15-1:46)

blanky! 08-26-2015 08:44 PM

John Cage - 4'33"

ilikexd 08-26-2015 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blanky! (Post 4354193)
John Cage - 4'33"

epic

V-Ormix 08-27-2015 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blanky! (Post 4354193)
John Cage - 4'33"

this is real

3lijah 08-27-2015 02:51 PM

Makes me happy that people here know who Animals as Leaders and Periphery are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYf2ZarsuuE

I saw these guys live a long long time ago, I was like 17. Dunno if they're still going on but I remember them closing with this. It was a great show, one of my most fond memories... wait, why am I getting all emotional n shit...

Crazyjayde 08-27-2015 03:08 PM

Not forgetting this but I'm going through something I need to take care. Nothing hefty but I'll be back in a bit. So in the meantime here's a varied bunch of songs if anybody wants to get creative:

4mat - Daisies
Against Me! - Sink, Florida, Sink
Alchimia - A Glimpse of the Unknown
Steve Roden - Stars of Ice (any part goes)
Trap Them - Fucking Viva

Also I've never been much into her but the new Chelsea Wolfe is incredible.

yo man im awesome 08-29-2015 12:33 PM

bump

Crazyjayde 08-29-2015 08:51 PM

Yeah yeah, this has been on my mind today. I'll take refuge in a cafe somewhere and work on this throughout the night. I think I'll do a round of one song per person.

TheRapingDragon 08-30-2015 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lijah (Post 4354385)
Makes me happy that people here know who Animals as Leaders and Periphery are.

Saw Animals As Leaders live at Prog Nation At Sea last year. Didn't think they were as good live as on their albums. Periphery were also there but I'm not a fan so I didn't go see them.

yo man im awesome 08-30-2015 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRapingDragon (Post 4355308)
Saw Animals As Leaders live at Prog Nation At Sea last year. Didn't think they were as good live as on their albums. Periphery were also there but I'm not a fan so I didn't go see them.

When you saw AAL, was The Joy of Motion released yet? Because they played the album unbelievably well earlier this month.

And I can get not being a fan of Periphery. Do you remember what you listened to from them?

Crazyjayde 08-30-2015 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choof (Post 4353763)
http://thomaskoner.bandcamp.com/track/paris-hour-seven

just want to see if we have the same visuals

The last man alive isn't so sure he's alive. In fact, he might never have awoken. Seven hours in wandering lackadaisically in a comatose state, his vision blurred, suspended between past and present. An halcyon voyage as if living not his final moments but the earth's.

As of speaking, he is standing on railroad in front of a derelict freight train, inquisitive. Still his head rushes from the motion, from imprints of palpable memories. The soundscape is muffled and swarming from the direction where glaciers rest. Following the tracks he reaches the Gare de Lyon. Snow engulfs the station terminal and ice riddles its enclosure, cleft up to its roof. Yet he can still hear the surrounding bustle, and through the clock's reflection, he can see it. An announcer voice booms out of a loudspeaker, fallen to the floor.
Cognition fades and the sights become fugitive. The experience is reduced to mere abstraction, some kind of minimal synesthesia, as if looking closely through stained glass. A sudden signal shatters the illusion.

Actually my bias might be pretty skewed here since I've known La Barca's concept for a while and understand the french samples in the song. Think of it as an assemblage of what I think the project stands for.

choof 08-30-2015 07:49 PM

interesting, the only thing really in common is that both our characters are in a train station. I see a girl sitting on a bench, scribbling in a notebook as passengers scramble by, hurrying to catch their trains. I don't speak french so I don't know what the intercom is saying.

if eze or lurker see this, post what I wrote if you still have it lol

la barca's an album I hold dear in my heart but I don't really talk about it too much because it's too avant-garde for proabably 95% of music listeners, and it's too overwhelming. maybe I'll try it out today with my new cans.

lurker 08-30-2015 08:04 PM

choof.txt:

48° 52' N 2° 21' E
aka Paris (Hour Seven)
https://thomaskoner.bandcamp.com/track/paris-hour-seven

As a train screams by, guided on rails of reverb and a sense of purpose, a fair skinned and light haired girl looks down at her notebook, whispers solemnly and begins to write. Prose? Poetry? A diary? The hasty scribbles bring with them a feeling of hurriedness, a fleeting thought that lands gently on her shoulder. If she is not careful, it will take flight, leaving her behind to simply wonder about what could have been. The speaker's voice rings out, calculated and devoid of emotion, but it causes the girl to write again. Fighting the crowd, not physically, but mentally. The sudden bustle of activity, the train's bellowing of steam, all cause for her thoughts to break. And do they? We can only look on as traveller upon traveller stride to the train doors, tickets in hand, but as the voices descend upon her, we can feel her anxiety. Her thoughts have been broken. She stands quietly, notebook clutched to her chest, and disappears into the collective, her train's horn finally sounding the departure. One last final whisper, gone.

I just noticed this album is tagged as "sonic cartography" and goddamn if that isn't the most accurate tag ever I don't know what is

Crazyjayde 08-30-2015 08:41 PM

I'll be damned. It's interesting how instinctive our representations quickly assign a bystander figure. I didn't fight that impulse as it just felt right. And well, the setting also is hard not to mention. The announcer isn't that audible by the way but it's clear the formality is that of an airport/railway agent ("ladies, gentlemen", "thank you for your attention").
Köner's music is very bounded to certain associated motifs, add with that his visual artist work. Its ability to convey is quite exceptional really.

TheRapingDragon 08-31-2015 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yo man im awesome (Post 4355315)
When you saw AAL, was The Joy of Motion released yet? Because they played the album unbelievably well earlier this month.

It was about a month before The Joy Of Motion was released. They played songs from all three albums.

This was them playing Tooth And Claw for the first time live (not recorded by me):

Quote:

And I can get not being a fan of Periphery. Do you remember what you listened to from them?
The first two albums.

yo man im awesome 08-31-2015 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRapingDragon (Post 4355501)
It was about a month before The Joy Of Motion was released. They played songs from all three albums.

This was them playing Tooth And Claw for the first time live (not recorded by me):

The first two albums.

I guess I can understand not enjoying them as much live; personally just the experience of seeing them in person makes it so much better for me.

Was there anything in particular that turned you off to Periphery? I didn't really word the initial question well lol. Like, was it the singing? The guitar tones?

TheRapingDragon 09-1-2015 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yo man im awesome (Post 4355534)
Was there anything in particular that turned you off to Periphery? I didn't really word the initial question well lol. Like, was it the singing? The guitar tones?

I have no problem with any single aspect of their music, it's just that none of it really stood out for me. There was no part where I thought 'yeah, this is great', more 'this is just about listenable', and a few times, 'this is like a worse version of (band).'

Crazyjayde 09-2-2015 06:41 PM

School and w/e. I'll try to do YMIA when I get the chance since bump.

choof 09-10-2015 06:47 PM

made this on monday iirc, interested in hearing what you think about it
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1KuQSy499XH
sounds like water to me

Crazyjayde 01-13-2019 03:25 AM

Necroing this thread as I need to flex my creative muscles again and as a mean to write about music while skirting around reviews. Might make a secondary RYM account out of it actually.

Quote:

Ingrown Mayo - Ween

The lizard licks you back. It's got Gene Ween's deceitful eyelids. Your skin hardens, blisters, into nails sprouting from the venom, now outgrowing your face. You stare as darkness comes. You stare at Gene Dudemang Ween's slithering pupils as you become some underground comix splash page. Hell awaits slathered in mayonnaise like a scorching salmon pie you have to swallow whole all the while googling pictures of cysts. Also none of this is happening, except for Henry Rollins having knocked you out cold for booing this prepubescent nonsense. You'll awake tomorrow to the crunch of 4-Track cereals and the stench of perplexing erections (now with more brown sugar).

Dunno why but I felt like starting off with a meme rec is a good dare. Feel free to contribute, I'll skip to anything new you guys may offer.

rayword45 01-13-2019 08:25 AM

wow u actually did it the madman

Songs (feel free to do the albums these songs come on unless I say dont):
Mommy On Drugs - Five Starcle Men
Face Blast - Duran Duran Duran
T69 Collapse - dont cheat lol
Smack The Brick - Guerilla Toss
Pets - Pile (DO cheat)
The Return Of Chip Douglas - Kid Cudi

Album
Some Rap Songs - Earl Sweatshirt (bc all the songs are 1 minute)

Wayward Vagabond 01-13-2019 09:19 AM

Devil eyes by qua