Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Bug Reports and Suggestions (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   We need more "stepmania" twitch streams (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=140683)

FF_rules 01-28-2015 02:38 AM

We need more "stepmania" twitch streams

Only a matter of time before someone starts streaming nekopara lol.

Sidek 01-28-2015 02:50 AM

Re: We need more "stepmania" twitch streams

yes

ShurykaN 01-28-2015 03:40 AM

ok.

btw I streamed nekopara before

FF_rules 01-28-2015 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShurykaN (Post 4268609)
ok.

btw I streamed nekopara before

doesn't count if it was the sfw steam version.
-wth though it was streamed while listed as Stepmania so the live channel picked up on it lol.

Mahou 01-28-2015 08:48 AM

There are a few people I know that stream SM/FFR on a regular basis
Brandon (Etienne)
AJ (aka Halogen. He streams mainly FFR now I believe. I haven't seen him play SM in quite awhile now)
Wafles (He streams a fair amount)
MinaciousGrace(He's random, but he does it once in awhile)
Staiain (Streams quite often. Plays various styles too..aka solo, 4k, osumania)
Thunderflip (Streams FFR sometimes)
Haku (Streamed FFR last night)
Cammy (Streams FFR once in awhile)

I'd stream, but unless I get software that works with XP or upgrade OS, I'm not going to be streaming for awhile.

_Zenith_ 01-28-2015 10:14 AM

Most of the the time I feel like FFR showcases Twitch Channels not from their own players.

Also I agree, sort of. There needs to be no more mislabeled streams, and far less Osu streams. I get that Osu is big but it's annoying as hell to watch one or even see one.

We need more Stepmania, FFR itself, maybe even FFR events like TWG started doing, and lastly step-artists showcasing a new song they are working on and viewers can watch it happen live.

TC_Halogen 01-28-2015 11:22 AM

I won't be streaming too much FFR anymore now that I've become quite involved with osu!/osu!mania.

I do agree though; on FFR, it is a bit annoying to see osu! related streams. However, it'd be cool if we were able to make a team/partner page of some sort on Twitch so that only users who are registered as a part of that FFR team could be noticed on the front page's stream listing (and rather limiting to just FFR/SM/osu!, we could give priority to those games and then list those who are just streaming other things).

rushyrulz 01-28-2015 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahou (Post 4268642)
Brandon (Etienne)
AJ (aka Halogen. He streams mainly FFR now I believe. I haven't seen him play SM in quite awhile now)

I'd stream, but unless I get software that works with XP or upgrade OS, I'm not going to be streaming for awhile.

I see how it is :<

_Zenith_ 01-28-2015 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TC_Halogen (Post 4268670)
I won't be streaming too much FFR anymore now that I've become quite involved with osu!/osu!mania.

I do agree though; on FFR, it is a bit annoying to see osu! related streams. However, it'd be cool if we were able to make a team/partner page of some sort on Twitch so that only users who are registered as a part of that FFR team could be noticed on the front page's stream listing (and rather limiting to just FFR/SM/osu!, we could give priority to those games and then list those who are just streaming other things).

I'd be willing to see the possibility of making a team/partner page with Twitch.

Moreso my hostility towards OSU streams is that 90% of the time I'm expecting to see one of our very own FFR members actually playing but it's again 90% of the time a woman hopelessly playing but she has 300+ constant viewers because she's a woman.

I'm not a big Stream Viewer to be honest, but whenever I'm in the mood, I like to watch FFR like I have in the past (NeonSM, CarrotCake, etc) and it's especially cool to see when people change it up, try new things, creating content, etc.

mrpreggers 01-28-2015 12:12 PM

ecchi

YoshL 01-28-2015 12:12 PM

Quote:

Brandon (Etienne)

I see how it is :<

_Zenith_ 01-28-2015 12:18 PM

Quote:

Brandon (Etienne)
Most if not all of the Event Staff (Streams frequently)

Fixed :^)

EtienneSM 01-28-2015 12:18 PM

It bothers me that there are so many osu! streams compared to SM, considering how much it bores me to watch osu! imo. I'd like to get SM out there but I don't have the exposure.

Not really known as a good 4k player outside of fiffer lolol

Superfreak04 01-28-2015 12:26 PM

I actually stream SM sometimes, it's just that usually I don't change the "game currently playing" field to SM, so it doesn't show up here at all. More often though, I'm streaming CS GO and 1.6

twitch.tv/Superfreak04 if you're interested in following. Lately I haven't been streaming as much due to school and work, but I do it as often as I can.

gold stinger 01-28-2015 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EtienneSM (Post 4268690)
It bothers me that there are so many osu! streams compared to SM, considering how much it bores me to watch osu! imo. I'd like to get SM out there but I don't have the exposure.

Not really known as a good 4k player outside of fiffer lolol

yeah osu! has been so publicized & praised upon in the rhythm gaming area that it draws the attention away from Stepmania. On top of that, a lot of people are starting to stream on hitbox rather than Twitch when it comes to Stepmania because it's better in terms of rhythm gaming & copyrights due to Twitch starting to take copyright action against streamers.

Tyson ultima 01-28-2015 12:42 PM

I'd use sm to stream kshootmania. Sorry. Notsorry.

MinaciousGrace 01-28-2015 01:47 PM

Quote:

I've become quite involved with osu!/osu!mania.

literally die in a fire

FF_rules 01-28-2015 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Zenith_ (Post 4268677)
Moreso my hostility towards OSU streams is that 90% of the time I'm expecting to see one of our very own FFR members actually playing but it's again 90% of the time a woman hopelessly playing but she has 300+ constant viewers because she's a woman.

I literally clicked an osu stream to see what it was like and it was just some white guy singing along to an anime song (badly) while he played on a casual level with a bunch of people donating to him. I was so confused/disgusted. (Probably a biased first experience)

EzExZeRo7497 01-28-2015 06:57 PM

Quote:

hey me too

Yeah, having a team page on Twitch would be a good idea.

Red Blaster 01-28-2015 07:17 PM

Osu is fun to watch if it's like a D7 skill equivilent player playing actual Osu.

Wineandbread 01-28-2015 08:13 PM

"need" is a strong word

EtienneSM 01-28-2015 09:11 PM

No, we need them lol. Only time when there's a lot of people watching SM is whenever CirnoTV plays it here and there. The chat also gets extremely hype so it's obviously not a boring game to watch for the average viewer. Just a matter of how known you are.

cixopow7 02-4-2015 05:50 AM

We need more "stepmania" twitch streams

It seems that it actually is a feature. Any player can get more than 10FF no limit even if the dedicated screen shows 10 members slots starting from the 11th, it is scroll-able.

Please, delete thread.

Red Blaster 02-4-2015 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cixopow7 (Post 4271150)
Please, delete thread.

Lol

kmay 02-4-2015 06:14 AM

is there a specific program that one should use to stream your game play?

s1rnight 02-4-2015 06:38 AM

speedruns are much more popular than conventional skill playing, imo. ppl need to infiltrate that scene if theres to be any hope~

wasn't there a rate function on sm4 that sped up the rate as you got better (slowed down as you began to miss)? if you fabricate some "official course" of songs and played everything on that you could create a stepmania culture where you would literally be able to finish things quicker as you improved at the game~ just a thought

rCaliberGX 02-4-2015 07:11 AM

staiain came up with a stepmania 100% run but i lost the pic

it was AAA or restart or something along those lines, you'd have to balance the rates so that you don't fuck up as much but still get the bonus

EzExZeRo7497 02-4-2015 07:32 AM

Stai, Dynamo and I had a 30-file set (which could further be divided to 3 separate sets) for both 100% (AAAs) and 93% (AA, but you can think of it as the Any%) runs. Each set contained files from different generations of simfiling, Dynamo's set being old-school files such as Vanish Into Thin Air and Delirium, my set having mainly new files like Schur's Theorem and Oriens, while Stai's set is a mixture of the two.

Would be the best bet to make SM speedruns an actual thing, I guess.

choof 02-4-2015 11:48 AM

with osu!mania slowly becoming more like stepmania, I think a switch to o!m is inevitable
I know I'll be switching to play 6k/7k

_Zenith_ 02-4-2015 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choof (Post 4271214)
with osu!mania slowly becoming more like stepmania, I think a switch to o!m is inevitable
I know I'll be switching to play 6k/7k

where as that will most likely be true, O!M timing is stupid, especially with holds (any RG that originates inside the eastern hemisphere has this double timing on holds)

I wouldn't know what to do when the day comes that O!M succeeds SM in every way.

Wafles 02-4-2015 11:56 AM

So streaming stepmania has a lot of problems

1. Quality of streams. The majority of people streaming stepmania stream at a pretty low quality, often 480p or lower. Quality matters. Your stream layout matters too. Make the game your focal point, and design everything else around that.

2. Player diversity. People play this game in a lot of different ways, there are a handful of low level players who stream pretty often, and obviously they struggle to draw viewers even more than the better ones. Couple this with StepMania pad streams, index, etc, and we get a really weird situation where people pretty much are only interested in watching the play style that they personally like, and its not easy to find a lot of streamers for the specific content you enjoy.

3. Chat interaction can only happen between songs. Very few players try to actively talk while playing, and this helps your viewer count a lot if you care about that kind of thing. This leads to people being dead silent during game play aside from the tapping, which will draw a lot of people who don't fully understand the skill involved to get pretty bored.

4. Mislabeling your streams. If you're streaming StepMania, change your game setting to say it. If you're streaming StepMania and label it as osu, or streaming something else and labeling it as StepMania, this hurts the people who have followed to StepMania as a game (which everyone should do btw). I don't know how popular the game following feature on Twitch is, but I use it all the time, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I couldn't tell you how many times I go to the Stepmania stream list, and click on a stream title that looks interesting only to find some guy playing league of legends instead. More descriptive stream titles would also help, but I'm guilty of that last part as well.

There's probably a number of other issues at hand as well, but these are the biggest problems. Resolving even a few of these would help a lot, but at the end of the day, the game just isn't very popular, and I doubt that even with a lot of dedication and better quality streams that we will see the game get much more viewership than it already has.

damn that ended up being more long winded than i wanted
oh, and cirno's stepmania streams don't count, he worked a long time in purely the speedrunning community to build up his stream, and he practically has a cult following that will watch him play anything, the best thing we can hope for out of this is for people to try to be streaming stepmania when he stops streaming it, this happened to me once and about 10-15 people ended up finding my channel after he went offline because they were interested in the game.

Ziemniax 02-5-2015 11:41 AM

I'd stream if my laptop was decent :(