Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Critical Thinking (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   The College Thread (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=137005)

Thatskier 05-17-2014 01:56 PM

The College Thread

Hey everyone, I'm part of the graduating class of 2014 and i'd love to here where all of you are going to college with what intended major/ what college do you go to/ what college did you go to!

I'll start-

I'm going to the University of Virginia for Material Science and Engineering (MSE).

j-rodd123 05-17-2014 02:19 PM

Re: The College Thread

cool, I go to the University of Waterloo for Biochemistry, graduating in 2016 (5 years instead of 4 because it has a total of 20 months of co-op)

rushyrulz 05-17-2014 05:02 PM

University of Nebraska at Omaha, Computer science, graduating 2016 (hopefully in the spring)

YoshL 05-17-2014 05:07 PM

University of Maryland, College Park, graduating 2016 probably

tosh 05-17-2014 05:27 PM

University of Nebraska-Lincoln for Accounting
I don't know when I'll end up graduating because I've switched majors a couple of times and my fulfilled requirements are wonky because of it.

DossarLX ODI 05-17-2014 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j-rodd123 (Post 4136650)
cool, I go to the University of Waterloo for Biochemistry, graduating in 2016 (5 years instead of 4 because it has a total of 20 months of co-op)

That's awesome! With my university's co-op program I also get my graduation date pushed back a year so I'll be 2017 instead of 2016. Hopefully your co-op experience has been good so far.

I go to UMASS Lowell for Computer Science and I just finished my sophomore year. In this coming fall I'll be on a co-op from July to December at Akamai Technologies.

justin_ator 05-17-2014 09:47 PM

For those of you doing Comp Sci, do you have any intentions or goals to go a certain direction with that? I haven't really decided where exactly I want that to end up so I'm curious if any of you may have your goals already set. (If that didn't make sense I'm basically asking if you intend to have any sort of focus or specialty within Computer Science)

choof 05-17-2014 10:35 PM

finally looking into student loans, i really don't want to put myself into any kind of debt but unfortunately i see no other choice
probably gonna go the computer security route because i've been, uh, doing some pen testing lately for fun and oh man it gets me hot and bothered

i'll probably end up at unlv but i'm also looking at international universities !

ilikexd 05-17-2014 11:11 PM

fuck dude come to unr not unlv

andy-o24 05-17-2014 11:23 PM

Ball State University for Accounting. Should be 2016 when I graduate.

-o24

bmah 05-17-2014 11:35 PM

Graduated at the University of Alberta in 2011 with a BSc., specialization in Geology.

choof 05-17-2014 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikexd (Post 4136798)
fuck dude come to unr not unlv

oh hmm, totally forgot about that

does unr have a solid comp sec program

L.B.D.D 05-18-2014 12:16 AM

university of california, berkeley

grad 2015, statistics & economics

entry level actuarial work @ sf

smartdude1212 05-18-2014 12:18 AM

Just finished my undergraduate degree at the University of Regina (with a 4-month stint at the Independent University of Moscow), B.Sc. Hons. in Mathematics.

Next up: graduate school at SFU (hello VancouFFR).

flashpantss 05-18-2014 01:47 AM

Just graduated this past semester from the University of West Florida for Computer Science.

Next up, University of Maine (black bears) for either Computer Science or Computer Engineering.

Netjet! 05-18-2014 02:44 AM

Finished my sophomore year at the University of Ottawa for Honors Commerce in April :^) Not officially in co-op as of right now though, hopefully they find a spot though!

AutotelicBrown 05-18-2014 05:08 AM

Computer Engineering in University of Campinas (Unicamp).

Quote:

Originally Posted by justin_ator (Post 4136759)
For those of you doing Comp Sci, do you have any intentions or goals to go a certain direction with that? I haven't really decided where exactly I want that to end up so I'm curious if any of you may have your goals already set. (If that didn't make sense I'm basically asking if you intend to have any sort of focus or specialty within Computer Science)

Research related to Image Processing and Machine Learning.

reuben_tate 05-18-2014 05:21 AM

Doing Computer Science and Mathematics at the University of Hawaii at Hilo. Plan to get my Math degree in Spring 2015 and my CS degree in Spring 2016.

SC_coolguy44 05-18-2014 09:46 AM

Dropped out after two years because I didn't like how the program was run/a couple of my professors doing Automotive at Niagara College last year.

devonin 05-18-2014 09:59 AM

Every time this thread comes up, it's amazing to me how pretty much everybody who posts is in comp sci or engineering.

History and Philosophy from Laurentian University, Algoma Campus, late of the University of Windsor.

Liberal Arts Represent!

KtCatastrophic 05-18-2014 11:22 AM

Secondary Education English major here, graduating in Spring of 2016. n_n

choof 05-18-2014 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devonin (Post 4136878)
Every time this thread comes up, it's amazing to me how pretty much everybody who posts is in comp sci or engineering.

History and Philosophy from Laurentian University, Algoma Campus, late of the University of Windsor.

Liberal Arts Represent!

stem master race

i might do philosophy or theology later on in life

L.B.D.D 05-18-2014 09:11 PM

do it now because u never know when u will die.......

deep thoughts

Reach 05-19-2014 12:19 PM

I'll mix it up. All you math motherfuckers.

Dentistry, Dalhousie University.

Previously, B.Sc in Neuro + Psych.

(to be fair I took quite a bit of stats + physics in undergrad. Definitely also a passion of mine).

Wineandbread 05-19-2014 12:31 PM

I graduated yesterday!

Carnegie Mellon University, BS Materials Science & Engineering with Physics double major

(spoilers tho I didn't learn much fysx)

Didn't we have a thread like this before?

Tidus810 05-19-2014 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wineandbread (Post 4137180)
I graduated yesterday!

Carnegie Mellon University, BS Materials Science & Engineering with Physics double major

Woahhh, no way. First off, congrats! And second, I'm a short ride down Forbes at PITT's med school. Before this I got a BS in chemistry down in Florida.

Zapmeister 05-19-2014 01:25 PM

cambridge maths third year

Xayphon 05-19-2014 01:51 PM

Information science and English studies at the Heinrich-Heine-University, Düsseldorf, although I'm more interested in English linguistics than literature, but I'll try to fight my way through it

Might go for japanology (or japanese studies) or computational linguistics (in addition to information science) in case I decide to drop English, but information science has definetely caught my interest, which I'm extremely happy about

Charu 05-19-2014 05:34 PM

All I have is just an associates degree in Applied Science and some Media and Communication Arts certificates.

I'm a lamer!

Shouka 05-19-2014 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wineandbread (Post 4137180)
I graduated yesterday!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tidus810 (Post 4137181)
Woahhh, no way. First off, congrats! And second, I'm a short ride down Forbes at PITT's med school. Before this I got a BS in chemistry down in Florida.

Did not know there were other FFR players in Pittsburgh. I'm currently a student at Carnegie Mellon studying computers and stuff.

L.B.D.D 05-19-2014 06:46 PM

do u guys know a sophia feng

arcnmx 05-19-2014 06:57 PM

Oh, I would've graduated Comp Sci in 2013 had I not dropped out after a year or so... So uh yay no degrees here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by justin_ator (Post 4136759)

Honestly, just be proficient in CS enough to be able to market your skills to the various subindustries. Understand the fundamentals in a language like C or its derivatives (and be able to pick up new languages and technologies quickly) and you'll be valuable no matter where you end up, whether in enterprise, web or mobile development, games, media, etc.

If you have an interest in something specific by all means go for it, just don't close those other doors for yourself by not being versatile - it tends to help a lot in the current job market. Despite my own background being in security and hacking skills, I've ended up doing mostly vanilla mobile development and some gamedev jobs by happenstance. I guess I've been too lazy to actually look for jobs that pertain to my skills and have just ended up wherever I happened to get offers >.>

justin_ator 05-19-2014 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arcnmx (Post 4137320)
Honestly, just be proficient in CS enough to be able to market your skills to the various subindustries. Understand the fundamentals in a language like C or its derivatives (and be able to pick up new languages and technologies quickly) and you'll be valuable no matter where you end up, whether in enterprise, web or mobile development, games, media, etc.

If you have an interest in something specific by all means go for it, just don't close those other doors for yourself by not being versatile - it tends to help a lot in the current job market. Despite my own background being in security and hacking skills, I've ended up doing mostly vanilla mobile development and some gamedev jobs by happenstance. I guess I've been too lazy to actually look for jobs that pertain to my skills and have just ended up wherever I happened to get offers >.>

This is honestly my hopes, but was curious where other people sat on it. Thanks for the input! I definitely understand the thought of keeping the options open, and that's what I intend to do in the long run. Just trying to figure out if there was something I wanted to attempt to get into before I fall back on the rest of the knowledge. I'm hardly into the program and I've got a decent understanding of C++/HTML/CSS and basic knowledge of Java/PHP/JS/SQL/+ a few application API's such as Google Maps, Twitch, Twitter, and Instagram's API's. I was trying to get into the Facebook API but seeing as I didn't have any practical project at the moment I put that on hold (the original intent was to learn it for use with FFR but it sounded like you guys already had that on the agenda ;p)

I want to build more of a foundation in actual application knowledge and industry level skills in what I do have my feet in already. For example, I can comfortably code something for myself in C++ that does a number of things, but I can tell you that at this time a company wouldn't do themselves a huge favor hiring me for a project yet as I'm not at that level. In due time.

funmonkey54 05-19-2014 11:14 PM

I'll bite.

Indiana Wesleyan University
Sophomore
Philosophy/Theology, Humanities, and Christian Ministry.

Originally committed to Wheaton in Chicago, but IWU bought me. And with the job market the way it is, I like the idea of making it through at least my undergraduate work with no debt.

hi19hi19 05-19-2014 11:18 PM

Was MIT 2013, went on leave, things happened.
Now Brown University class of 2018.

No idea about major. Some psychology, economics, applied math, neuro... something like Behavioral Economics encompasses most of that, I guess?

Definitely not Comp Sci lol

Reincarnate 05-19-2014 11:36 PM

Finance here

But if I could do it over I would have gone CS

andy-o24 05-19-2014 11:55 PM

Is finance pretty bad, Rubix? Or do you just find CS to be more applicable/flexible?

-o24

robertsona 05-20-2014 02:02 AM

columbia university, majoring in english. just finished my first year

L.B.D.D 05-20-2014 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reincarnate (Post 4137482)
Finance here

But if I could do it over I would have gone CS

everybody feels this

: <

leonid 05-20-2014 03:52 AM

CS is overrated

L.B.D.D 05-20-2014 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leonid (Post 4137592)
CS is overrated

yeah counterstrike is pretty lame now

Frank Munoz 05-20-2014 04:50 AM

Still at Del Mar(Corpus Christi Texas, just finished my 3rd year, gonna start my fourth this fall), being a music major.
and by "being a music major" i mean

Piano lessons [1 hour every week, practice atleast an hour a day]
Large ensemble(band) [1:30 hours every weekday, practice atleast an hour every other day]
small ensemble(Jazz) [1:30 hours every M,W,F. Practice arleast an hour every other day]
Orchestra [2 hours every week, practice atleast an hour every other day day]
Private lessons(trumpet) [1 hour every week, practice atleast one hour a day]
Music theory [1:30 hours every T,TH. study and do homework for atleast an hour every other day]
music composition lessons [1 hour every week, practice and compose atleast an hour every other day]
sight singing and ear training [1 hour every M,W,F.]
and an online core every semester [usually 5 hours for hw and studying when there are assignments]

which, this maymester i am doing hw everyday for about 8 hours. brutal
absolutely no free time. (I take a while to do core work cause i just don't understand what I am doing most of the time)
[How do I have time for a job or eating or buying necessities and my girlfriend and other shxt? I don't know, you tell me.]
This fall won't be as bad anymore being that i've finished every music core I need(woo!)

Gonna get a certificate for wielding this fall and graduate this December! (most likely)
Don't really plan on going anywhere after I finish this.
Just gonna make some easy money with hard labor and then maybe play in some groups for some side cash.
Then prolly continue my education once I actually have a car and or home and live happily ever after.

Reincarnate 05-20-2014 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy-o24 (Post 4137499)
Is finance pretty bad, Rubix? Or do you just find CS to be more applicable/flexible?

-o24

I enjoy it more, that's all.

choof 05-20-2014 05:23 AM

i was gonna go comp sci but i found out that comp sec degrees are a thing

L.B.D.D 05-20-2014 05:26 AM

show your skills

Shouka 05-20-2014 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.B.D.D (Post 4137314)
do u guys know a sophia feng

I do not.

Cavernio 05-20-2014 07:57 AM

Psychology under science. Loved it. Little job usefulness to date, but trying to change that now.

Wineandbread 05-20-2014 09:35 AM

Wao small college world

Where were da pittsburgh meetups ),:

Tidus810 05-20-2014 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wineandbread (Post 4137656)
Wao small college world

Where were da pittsburgh meetups ),:

I dunno I've only been here since august. :\

but I did realize that I pass cmu every day on the bus. so if either of you ever take the port authority toward oakland or toward squirrel hill, there is a very real chance that we've been on the same bus before haha.

Wineandbread 05-20-2014 04:44 PM

61A-D lyfe

Tidus810 05-20-2014 04:54 PM

rofl I take c and d

Shouka 05-20-2014 06:05 PM

I only take those buses to go to Dave & Buster's. Campus is within walking distance for me as I live in Oakland.

Kekeb 05-21-2014 11:47 PM

Anybody in CS interested in academia? I guess it's not very likely when industry pays as well as it does, but I'm curious.

AutotelicBrown 05-22-2014 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kekeb (Post 4138531)
Anybody in CS interested in academia? I guess it's not very likely when industry pays as well as it does, but I'm curious.

I am.

I like it 05-22-2014 06:31 AM

I'm starting at University of Southern Indiana in the fall, but I'm not sure for what yet. I'm leaning towards a cis degree (comp info science like wat), but I seriously don't know what I want to do with the rest of my life yet. I suppose I still have a couple years to figure it all out though :mrgreen:

reuben_tate 05-22-2014 07:01 AM

Quote:

I'm double majoring in math and CS with math as my primary degree. I plan to go to grad school in mathematics later...dunno what I exactly plan to do after though.

I started off just being a CS major. Then I switched to a double major whilst keeping my CS degree as my primary degree thinking that I could pick up a math degree along the way and that having some math knowledge would make me a better programmer. Then I switched my primary degree to my math degree and kept the CS degree because of the fact that CS gives me a lot of computational tools I can use when I do mathematics research.

I have plans to work with a professor later to do some CS research stuff (she specializes in bioinformatics and machine learning) so I'm going to go ahead and see how I like that.

leonid 05-22-2014 08:20 PM

Quote:

I learned only one thing in my university: I do not like studying.

I'm glad I got out of my univ and I do not miss it one bit

Reincarnate 05-22-2014 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leonid (Post 4139061)
I learned only one thing in my university: I do not like studying.

I'm glad I got out of my univ and I do not miss it one bit

amen to that

DigitalS3r4ph 05-22-2014 09:13 PM

I tried the Comp Science thing for a bit, but then quit and moved to Pittsburgh. I'm contemplating checking out the Robotics Institute at Carnegie Mellon though.

lurker 05-22-2014 09:36 PM

i effectively graduate tomorrow but i went to the only ceremony i could tonight (honors, got summa cum laude)
i wasted my time, big time, and now i have a worthless piece of paper
the most important parts of college have nothing to do with that piece of paper and i ignored all of em

DigitalS3r4ph 05-22-2014 09:40 PM

Well on the bright side, it at least shows dedication and Summa Cum Laude looks good on a resume. Congrats on the graduation.

inDheart 05-23-2014 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wineandbread (Post 4137766)
61A-D lyfe

Every time I go to CMU, I beat the 61s by walking.

lol leonid

oh, I'm also a Pitt student but I'm back home for the summer.

choof 06-2-2014 07:02 PM

I'm almost positive I missed the deadline to register for school this coming fall semester.
Which is alright, considering I need to brush up on my maths.

Has anyone done general education at a community college, then transferred to a university? I don't meet the admission requirements for UNLV, so I'm going to go for an Associates in Network Security from CSN, then use that to transfer to UNLV, and then I'll go for a Bachelor's in Comp Sci.

Izzy 06-3-2014 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lurker (Post 4139096)
the most important parts of college have nothing to do with that piece of paper and i ignored all of em

Pretty much, it is mostly about actually learning useful skills and taking as much advantage of the tools and resources provided to you at school to do that.
Also building connections with people for potential jobs. There are often recruiters and career fairs, etc.

Despite having a job already I'm actually going back to school in a few months to finish my last little bit of my degree. What's annoying is that absolutely none of it remaining is even computer science. Just maths...

sweet2kill210 06-3-2014 07:10 PM

Currently at Palo Alto College transferring to A&M University majoring in Bio-Chemistry.

I am going to college for Pharmacy and will hopefully get my bachelors by 2017. Also I'm debating whether or not to go for a Ph.D. not for money but to help with advancing the field. :)

NeoMasterPie 06-3-2014 07:28 PM

Kent State University for CS (protip their program sucks)

dAnceguy117 06-3-2014 08:10 PM

why's this thread in Critical Thinking? lol

Quigly 06-3-2014 08:59 PM

robertsona im studying in nyc too lets get trashed

hi19hi19 06-3-2014 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arkuski (Post 4145258)
Applied Math BS from University of Rhode Island 2013
Currently a first year at Boston University in the Math PhD program

whoa someone other than me lives in RI

I keep forgetting that is a thing

robertsona 06-3-2014 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quigly (Post 4145276)
robertsona im studying in nyc too lets get trashed

for real though, always willing to hang with my citygoers

Reincarnate 06-3-2014 09:56 PM

how are you liking columbia/nyc?

robertsona 06-3-2014 10:02 PM

it's great. being in the city (here being both "any city" and especially NYC) for college seemed like a no-brainer when I was applying--which isn't to say that I was closed to other options, but it was a huge plus--and it seems like even more of one now. it's just such a panoply of things to do both for fun and for research/studying; I can't stress how cool it is that I can learn about some Raphael painting in Art Humanities and then take the subway down to the Met and look at the goddamn painting in real life.

Columbia itself is really good--goooorgeous campus that I never get tired of, especially at night, lots of cool people and clubs, and my professors have been consistently great. The Core can feel a little arbitrary/constricting but overall i'm grateful for its having forced me to read the canon, something i'm not sure I could take on by myself. (and it's, like, pretty easy....i've had the shittiest work ethic EVER at times and at best it's been mediocre but i landed a 3.9 this year.) good stuff

Quigly 06-3-2014 10:25 PM

hella

im down in brooklyn (i go to pratt) we can pour vodka into our eyesockets or w/e

Kekeb 06-4-2014 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choof (Post 4144717)
I'm almost positive I missed the deadline to register for school this coming fall semester.
Which is alright, considering I need to brush up on my maths.

Has anyone done general education at a community college, then transferred to a university? I don't meet the admission requirements for UNLV, so I'm going to go for an Associates in Network Security from CSN, then use that to transfer to UNLV, and then I'll go for a Bachelor's in Comp Sci.

If you don't meet the normal requirements then you should definitely contact someone in admissions. Find out if there are any alternatives for non-traditional applicants. I never received a high school diploma, but I was able to gain admission to a BCS program at a local university because of my mature student status (haven't been a full-time student in a few years), and the fact that I earned a few credits at the school part-time.

dood gone krazee 06-5-2014 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertsona (Post 4145295)
for real though, always willing to hang with my citygoers

Yo I'm right in the FiDi, next to the Brooklyn Bridge. Let's meet up dudes!

Pace University, going to be a sophomore in the new BFA Commercial Dance program. My love for this program/city is unreal.

sweet2kill, my sister might be heading to A&M in the next year for Veterinary, or English. How do you like it there?

choof 06-5-2014 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kekeb (Post 4145863)
If you don't meet the normal requirements then you should definitely contact someone in admissions. Find out if there are any alternatives for non-traditional applicants. I never received a high school diploma, but I was able to gain admission to a BCS program at a local university because of my mature student status (haven't been a full-time student in a few years), and the fact that I earned a few credits at the school part-time.

I did, they told me I need a personal statement, references from past teachers (I'll probably use work references tho), and SAT scores. I haven't taken the SAT but I'm fairly certain that once I brush up on math I can score perfect marks. Apparently I only need a 1040 to actually have a chance rofl.

L.B.D.D 06-5-2014 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wineandbread (Post 4137766)
61A-D lyfe

cs61a-d? lol

Shouka 06-5-2014 08:34 PM

There is no cs61d

CammyGoesRawr 06-5-2014 08:59 PM

Boredom makes me post in forums.

Currently going to Montgomery County Community College right outside of Norristown, Pennsylvania. Working on my A.A.S. (Associate of Applied Sciences) degree. Communications major, but my classes are geared mainly towards Digital Audio Design.