Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   The Werewolf Game (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   BriDynN: TWG's Community Initiative Project (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=134979)

Brilliant Dynamite Neon 01-29-2014 03:51 PM

BriDynN: TWG's Community Initiative Project

Hey guys, I'm finally doing this!

If you didn't know, now you know: TWG on FFR is in a unique, unsure, transitory period. The activity in games has been all over the place, some questionable setups have been run, and the traditional style of FFR TWG has nearly disappeared; it's all far from a golden age. However, there are people as passionate as ever about this game and it's community, and want to work in it's best interests. At the same time, we are attracting a lot of new blood, bolstering our playerbase, and it's important that we are welcoming to them and provide them a good experience. It's quite heartwarming, but with that said, it's apparent that the TWG subforum is falling short in some areas.

We would do well to make some improvements and do some house cleaning around these forums, in order to both create more enjoyable experiences for those who are already active players, and expand our potential reach to more people. As comfortable as the status quo gets, sometimes old, inefficient institutions must make way for the new, and as a former TWC member and general steward of this community (that is very glad to see its revival), I feel that I must take up the charge once again and put forth some initiatives to make things better, more elegant, and more inviting for all. Of course, since these issues concern all players to some degree, it's fair -- indeed, essential -- to involve the whole community and welcome their opinions and ideas on such projects.

That is what this thread is for. Here, any proposal that people wish to put forth for the betterment of TWG shall be considered, discussed, and if it garners enough support by the community, I will work with the proposer and the local moderators if necessary to try and make it happen.

ON THE TABLE

1. Host Signups Reform

Proposed by:
Brilliant Dynamite Neon

Now, I know people here aren't dumb. They are mostly capable of making good decisions, and have the capacity to look at things critically and spot potential problems. But that ability seems to have fallen by the wayside on several occasions when choosing the game to be hosted. Now I'm aware a lot of things can potentially be to blame for that. But personally, I feel that the biggest culprit is the antiquated way in which host signups are run.

The current system is messy and how it works does not match up with its apparent aims -- to let the community decide the best, most sound game to host. It has near-zero regulation, gives little incentive for prospective hosts to think in depth about their games, gives even less incentive for prospective players to do so, and is hardly democratic. I would think it obvious that a lack of organization in host sign-ups is simply not conducive to careful consideration, especially when a mere 5 votes is apparently enough to decide the victor and completely close off the discussion (which really hurts its inclusiveness as well.) As such, people usually don't have much time to form any "reads" on the game's possibilities, and those who simply couldn't be there are just screwed.

In addition, the low amount of votes needed in combination with the lack of a decisive voting period leaves host signups vulnerable to "hype wagons", where tons of people rushvote someone's game because it has a cool story/theme or other superficial appeal, or grips people with a unique concept. The extremely short time frame in which the decision is made...well, for one, it doesn't include the community very much, and two, it's bad for people actually looking at the game and thinking critically about it. This can come back to bite us when we vote in a setup that turns out to have major issues down the road, but it's perfectly allowable under the current system, and thus people once thought it was acceptable. Even with increasing awareness recently, usually by the time something imbalanced is discovered, the game is already underway and everyone tends to suffer for it (TWG CIV majorly, TWG CV to a lesser degree)

So, how can we change Host Signups to resolve these kinds of issues?

My idea is to run host signups in 2 stages, a very simplified version of my previous idea:

PROPOSAL STAGE - This is where hosts post their game writeups, and things are open for questions and feedback as per usual. What is unusual is that nobody votes at this stage.

VOTING STAGE - This is where people may vote on the game setups as usual, only there is an expected time frame for voting now. There is no "insta-host"; whichever has the most votes by deadline gets picked. (And of course if there is a tie we can hold a shorter second round of voting.)

IMO the stages should last at least 2 days each, but this is open to discussion. I think 2 days/3 days is a good boilerplate.

I think a system like this one addresses the problems on several levels. In general, it's a process designed to make people think about their participation in host signups as both voter and host.

TOPICS FOR DEBATE:
– Ideal length of the stages
– Sufficiency of the in-thread discussion to ensure balance (linked to Proposal 4, Bring Back The Workshop)

2. New History Threads

Proposed by: Brilliant Dynamite Neon

As evidenced, this is already being worked on, starting with the mainline games. Once that thread is finished, I will work on the history of jTWGs too.

While I'm mentioning it, I would like to again call attention to thesunfan who is being a huge help. He is working from the most recent games down and his pace is putting me to shame. I am very thankful for him.

Anyways, chronicling the history of games is obviously important. Those who don’t learn their history are doomed to repeat it! There can be learning experiences on all fronts by looking through past games, people can learn what did and didn't work in the past, and why. Also, when someone refers to a past game, someone can quickly look it up and find out what they're talking about.

TOPICS FOR DEBATE:
– BDN being a lazy bastard and not updating

3. A New, Comprehensive Beginner's Guide and Knowledgebase

Okay, I'm not one to demean others' work, and there's no doubt both parties were very sincere and great in their intentions. But frankly, I feel that both of the current "Beginner's Guides" in TWG are very inadequate. StoicRoivas' is very surface level and doesn't get into how players actually conduct themselves in game, while rzr's is awkward and scattershot (despite his attempts to actually characterize a game), grabbing for too many things, including stuff such as Items and Conversions that have no place in an introduction to TWG.

I am currently working on an outline for a new guide that should be much more helpful than either of the above two, and also a system of community contributions, such as articles and game commentaries, that can serve as further teaching tools.

Manti, I have made a general outline of topics I want covered with some scribblings of my own in some places; contact me if you still want to see and/or collaborate on this.

4. Bring Back The Workshop

No matter what type of game you are running, balance is crucial, and is the center of discussion in any Host Signup thread. This is common sense: the more balanced a game is, the more the outcome of the game will depend on the skill of the players, therefore the more enjoyable it will be for the players. This concern is especially dire for mystery games, which by design can only be run once, and will turn out to be a massive disappointment if it's balance is poor.

The crucial question is, is discussion in the thread good enough to balance games?

The easiest answer is that it depends on the game in question. And to me that alone is enough to warrant a dedicated place for game review. Some games have mechanics or role combinations that people can't grasp the full consequences of in the time given. Some people just don't think their games are ready and want to get them looked over before they visit them on the unwitting playerbase. Every case is different and it is important that there is a resource available for people who think their games need directed/intensive review.

I will be collecting arguments on both sides for this issue.

5. A Place For General TWG Related Discussion

This is pretty simple. People want to discuss TWG! They want to talk about events in past games, they want to talk general theory and role/game ideas, they want to know people's opinion on good Serial Killer play...the list is endless. The obvious problem? We have no place to do so. Everything in here is a Game Thread, or a Signup Thread, or a Postgame thread; none of these welcome discussion, and when there is such discussion it is not organized at all. Having a subforum would take care of these issues. Recently, Zageron was requested to help us out in this regard, which resulted in the move to a main forum and the addition of a test subforum, so it looks like we're on track to do this?

Danceguy, can I get an update on this, I believe it is you who contacted me about plans to have archive/discussion subforums.

6. jTWG?

Proposed by: Jurs, others

(but I'll get to this later.)

------------------------------------------

So if you have any commentary on the above ideas, go ahead! Or maybe even propose your own idea, and I can add it to the OP for consideration? I hope to make this thread pretty much an open forum for you guys -- a sort of suggestion box for the community at large to consider.

Fire away!

Xiz 01-29-2014 04:09 PM

Re: BriDynN: TWG's Community Initiative Project

A few of my thoughts:

Section 1.

In regards to the proposal stage and voting stage, I would say that those are actually swapped. For example, people might choose a playstyle over another and have a majority vote for that. After it has reached a majority vote, then the tweaking stage can begin. I feel as though these should be within the same thread, because if the tweaking happens to break the game or shows significant flaws in it, people can go right back into some of the other game options during that time.

Section 2.

Thank you Greg. You are doing a great job, keep it up. A history thread isn't needed in my opinion, but is really REALLY nice to have. For example, if I want to get a better read on TPS I might go ahead and look at his activity from his previous games to see how he plays. In my opinion, keep it going.

Section 3.

I really need the opinion of some of the newbies who played this past game to really have some strong feedback for this section. What I did this past game was kind of throw them into the fire and help them along the way. For example, in regards to Kayla (USA) or Mikeh (Russia) if they had ANY questions at all they would approach me, and I would help them out every step of the way without pursuing their moves or actions. Pretty much just rule clarification. I feel as though it worked pretty well, however there are cases such as Jon (Greece) where it didn't work as well.... then again he never really approached me until it was too late haha.

Section 4.

No opinion as of now.

Section 5.

The skype group IMO. It's a great hub that's used outside of the forums. If you are not in that skype group, hit me up.

Bynary Fission 01-29-2014 04:15 PM

My thought on section 1 - have you ever considered having a person who is new to hosting a game have a more experienced co-host help them run their game? I would imagine it's rather intimidating for somebody doing it the first time, and despite the safeguards we have to make a good game it doesn't always turn out that way when the game itself is played. I would think that having an experienced host co-host with a new host on their first game would serve as a beneficial way to help teach them how to run a game as well as ensure that the quality of the game is maintained in the event they begin to slip up.

My thought on section 5 - Agreed with the below poster. Skype could definitely work, but what about a sub-forum as well? Active players could be invited to utilize this forum when real-time chat is not necessary or feasible.

thesunfan 01-29-2014 04:27 PM

Yes, I agree with section one. We also need to keep the delay between the time where a game is voted into being played and the time that signups start. 48 hours worked really well this time around.

Section 2- I've started with some jTWGs as well, and I intend to bring a lot more things to the table once I finish the obvious (ie, writing histories) such as lifetime win-loss records, winning-est wolves, winning-est humans, and all kinds of SportsCenter-esque statistics.

Section 3- Yes, we need a new Beginner's Handbook to FFR TWG. We also should probably redraw up the rules since its not 2001 anymore than the Werewolf Council no longer exists, plus some rules are out of date/not followed anymore.

Sections 4 & 5 will receive comments once BDN gets more power.

Crazyjayde 01-29-2014 04:34 PM

1 : I would have also suggested those two stages to be swapped. It's easier to come to a consensus upon tweaking the game's rules when you can focus on one game's rulings only. I would also advise to regroup the two stages into one thread, and to find a proper logistic for doing so. Three preparatory threads would be a lot for a single game.

Also, I was always fond of the idea of having "event games" with a fixed restriction, where games suggested revolve around the same format or concept. You know, in times where we need to revert to simpler formats or whatever.

-

2 : An archival helps big time, it's nice to see a cleanup underway.

-

3: I support the idea of brewing a new, more comprehensive and "to the point" beginner's guide. I don't think both older threads achieved what they were aiming for. I never really understood much of them and instead went to Mafiascum for information.

Imo, it might be a good idea to divide it into two parts, with the basics and references into one (roles summary, terminology, game rundown etc.) and an index of advices or common question into the other.

DarkManticoreX2 01-29-2014 04:36 PM

Section 3 - BDN lets collab on this sometime. I have some ideas for helping newer people out as well.

dAnceguy117 01-29-2014 04:49 PM

good stuff, BDN.

5 - the Skype group is helpful for sure, but a little something more could help. IMs are cumbersome to sort through and find old messages.

not sure if a sub-subforum is necessary (or possible with this forum software). maybe move it to a separate site?

Tps222 01-29-2014 05:03 PM

I'm not even aware of what the skype group is.

Tokzic 01-29-2014 05:12 PM

I was going to make a topic for this post, but this thread is relevant enough:

--

So I just was looking at TWG postgames as a whole, and I couldn't help but notice:

Wolves win a lot lately.

And I think I know the reason for that. There's a recurring pattern in game design: We have a lot of people per game. And to compensate, we have games with a lot of wolves. But the sad reality is that a lot of players completely drop off the planet and we subsequently have a lot of inactive players per game. Players that sometimes take some time to replace.

Do you see the problem?

This is TWG hardmode. When there's even a 2-3 player pool of humans that aren't playing the game, wolves can easily have 2-3 people play entirely under the radar and get away with it because humans can't afford to flip coins to find wolves. A void of information gives a disproportional advantage to wolves.

Another problem with Big TWGs is that even in ideal circumstances, with every player generating discussion, the threads become HUGE. This makes following the thread take more time and therefore become exponentially more difficult. This is tough on the players, and especially tough on the replacements.

I feel like this just isn't what TWG is. TWG should be a more moderate number of players that are all actively participating in the game, with a realistic amount of discussion to keep 100% on track of. Hosts should keep up with their thread and remove anyone who completely vanishes for periods over 72+ hours. Even if life happens for a while, it's fine - replacement is just something that happens too. Join the next TWG. Whatever, dude. We shouldn't be overloading ourselves or signing up for games we don't have time to play anyway.

Vendetta21 01-29-2014 05:15 PM

i highly advise only changing one or two things at a time BDN

thesunfan 01-29-2014 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tps222 (Post 4068270)

You've been in it since its inception lol.

Honestly, wolves are on a streak, and BOTH sides get replacements a fair deal, and its rather annoying, but its not apparent how related it is. AFK humans have been a problem since the inception of this game, and while I do entirely believe that it needs to be addressed, possibly in the way Afrobean stated in the postgame thread, both sides have been getting replaced recently, look at Japan being replaced by Sweden, who was almost immediately replaced by Scotland after that last game.

FoJaR 01-29-2014 05:37 PM

ugh skype is so bad and also the worst.

dAnceguy117 01-29-2014 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KgZ (Post 4068278)
I'd go even further to say that certain peoples posts can get huge. That's never fun to read. Brevity should be encouraged.

that's a game-specific thing. if you're playing in a game and you can't be arsed to read someone's posts, tell them. yell at them. plead with them. threaten to lynch them. make it part of the game.

there won't be restrictions on how short or long posts can be.

Afrobean 01-29-2014 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tps222 (Post 4068270)

Me either. I wasn't even aware that Skype did groups like that. My name is Afrobean if anyone wants to hook me up there.

Regarding what Tokzic said: yes, games are probably too big. There are enough people who want to play, but not enough people who actually play. I think rather than aiming for 20 players with 5 wolves and 4 or more replacements, we should shoot for 16 players with about 4 wolves and NO replacements. Or even smaller perhaps! If there are extra players who couldn't make sign ups, run a secondary game at the same time.

FoJaR 01-29-2014 07:39 PM

yeah smaller the better like 4 players.

oh wait i think there was a 4 player game that was floated a while back

Xiz 01-29-2014 07:43 PM

@Afro

Added ya. I'll toss ya in when you are on

dAnceguy117 01-29-2014 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vendetta21 (Post 4068277)
i highly advise only changing one or two things at a time BDN

the host signups are the only game-related thing listed up there. what's the concern?

Svaz 01-30-2014 12:07 AM

The idea of voting on a game first and then tweaking it makes sense, I guess, but I feel like it'd be better to have games proposed in a separate workshop thread and then introduced as a game if no issues are had with it in whatever host signup thread. I can understand a need to revamp the voting process, but I dislike the idea of a pool, why not just have a time (48 hours, I guess, as the OP states) that voting occurs and have for/against options rather than just for? I get that it'd be a little unnecessary if it were a binary decision but in something with multiple options it might make things a bit more clear.

Alternatively, a window in which the host ideas can be submitted and then a later voting period (is that how it is now? it seems like everything just happens at once to me) or something, the voting period (maybe) including a for/against option if necessary...

Tokzic 01-30-2014 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FoJaR (Post 4068356)
yeah smaller the better like 4 players.

oh wait i think there was a 4 player game that was floated a while back

didn't you put that on the table when you were in the middle of hosting that one where we had five day lapses in discussion

Krauthammer 01-30-2014 06:16 AM

LEt's go starting with the Host Sign-ups revamp. It's the one that controls most of what TWG in FFR will be.

I'll join what other people have said, about flipping the phases proposed, although in the voting phase I think there should be a definite time for proposing games, and then the rest for the votes themselves.

Vendetta21 01-30-2014 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dAnceguy117 (Post 4068370)
the host signups are the only game-related thing listed up there. what's the concern?

making too many changes quickly may cause people to become unfamiliar with the forum but moreso having a huge project makes the task daunting and unmanageable whereas doing it bits and pieces makes it so one may actually accomplish

for many reasons you want to break a project up into components and handle them one at a time, each thing will probably generate quite a bit of discussion, take a good chunk of time, and change the feel of this place

i think changing the host sign-ups and rewriting the history thread are overall really positive changes and we shouldn't spread ourselves thin until those are done unless there are more volunteers to do the work of freshening this place up </manager>

mellonxcollie 01-30-2014 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vendetta21 (Post 4068579)
we shouldn't spread ourselves thin

I agree with you 100%, however I do think we should have a general TWG discussion forum (or at least thread) and it would take very minimal effort to do this. Skype really doesn't cut it, it's an instant messenger, we can't have all of our forum discussion go on in there.

As for the other ideas, especially the new player's guide, I agree we may be getting in over our heads. I would be willing to help out if possible (though right now is not a good time, in a few weeks when my hands have healed I can help). If we all work together we can make these major projects seem easy peasy~

dAnceguy117 01-30-2014 12:00 PM

ok now I get it, just an order of operations. good deal.

Tps222 01-30-2014 01:49 PM

There is one change that I want more than anything: Scheduled routine signup threads.

We used to do this a while back. Once the host and game are voted on, we set a designated date and time for signups. We divide the signups into two phases, with each phase allowing half the player pool to signup.

You set those two signup phases on the same day, but hours apart, to accommodate for people who live in different time zones/work different hours.

Example: TWG XXL: 18 players. First 9 signup up at 5PM EST, Last 9 signup at 10PM EST. No one can signup before 5PM EST, and once the first 9 fill that up, you wait until 10PM EST to have another chance to signup.

This will prevent people from missing out on signups when they genuinely wanted to play. The established timeframes should be boldly advertised not only in the hosting thread, but also in the title of the signup thread (and edited to reflect when the first period begins, ends; while also noting when the 2nd period of signups opens and ends).

As long as we can carry this out in a 3 step phase (Host/Game/Signup times), it should simplify and improve the signup process altogether.

FoJaR 01-30-2014 02:04 PM

i think there should be 4 or 5 phases, with two panels, one for host signups and one for player sign ups

but then we will need a couple more phases to nominate the panels for each set for each game, and then the phases for nominating the panels that will nominate the panels

DarkManticoreX2 01-30-2014 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tps222 (Post 4068737)
There is one change that I want more than anything: Scheduled routine signup threads.

We used to do this a while back. Once the host and game are voted on, we set a designated date and time for signups. We divide the signups into two phases, with each phase allowing half the player pool to signup.

You set those two signup phases on the same day, but hours apart, to accommodate for people who live in different time zones/work different hours.

Example: TWG XXL: 18 players. First 9 signup up at 5PM EST, Last 9 signup at 10PM EST. No one can signup before 5PM EST, and once the first 9 fill that up, you wait until 10PM EST to have another chance to signup.

This will prevent people from missing out on signups when they genuinely wanted to play. The established timeframes should be boldly advertised not only in the hosting thread, but also in the title of the signup thread (and edited to reflect when the first period begins, ends; while also noting when the 2nd period of signups opens and ends).

As long as we can carry this out in a 3 step phase (Host/Game/Signup times), it should simplify and improve the signup process altogether.

I don't know why we stopped doing this. Lets start again.

Xiz 01-30-2014 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkManticoreX2 (Post 4068758)
I don't know why we stopped doing this. Lets start again.

I agree. I approve of this.

Svaz 01-30-2014 05:53 PM

I'll concur with that.

Brilliant Dynamite Neon 01-30-2014 07:39 PM

Hey guys, sorry I haven't responded to anything, I've been catching up with schoolwork due to my visit to the doctor last week and closures this week. I'll update the OP and address everyone's responses as soon as I am able.

Brilliant Dynamite Neon 01-30-2014 11:00 PM

Definitely support splitting signup times again. Anythign pro-inclusivity is good

Sorry guys, I really wanna get into this tonight but right now I can't focus on anything and my eyes just wanna close. Good night everyone

But yeah, these things are basically in priority order to get done, and I will be definitely devoting my time to this thread tomorrow.

Brilliant Dynamite Neon 01-31-2014 11:58 PM

Okay, so looking at all the suggestions, here's how I think the new Host Signups are going to go down.

OPENING OF THREAD
This is where the host of the previous game will start the thread, and post a specific time when they're going to kick off the signups. At this stage, people declare Intent to Vote in the thread.

PROPOSAL STAGE: Proposal of Games
This is where people put their games up for the vote as usual, nothing much changed here.

VOTING STAGE: Voting for Games
In the voting stage, everyone who declared ITV during the opening stage votes on whichever game they would like to play in. Host counts votes as normal, but only people who declared ITV will be included, so in this way it's like counting votes during a game. We can even have "insta-host" at a majority of all votes as well; at your discretion of course.

Alternatively, we can skip the registration in Opening Stage and just have a deadline for voting, counting anybody who votes (this also means that the previous host can skip the Opening stuff and post the Signups Thread whenever he feels postgame discussion is flagging). Of course, this would make it unfair to have an instant win condition, as there's no way of telling what an actual majority will be.

DISCUSSION STAGE: Learning About the Setup
In this stage, all players can now look at the selected game critically and ask any questions, raise any concerns about balance, etc
. and the host can perform minor tweaks as he or she sees fit. However, there should not be huge changes or things that break the spirit of the game that's trying to be hosted. People shouldn't vote one thing

Xiz has a great idea; if there does arise such a situation where legitimate concerns in the winning game cannot be acceptably addressed and there is a failure to launch, we can take the runner-up game and go from there.

------

The thing about this approach is that it doesn't support general review of game setups. While I'll give you the fact that it's not necessarily what people want, and it is more efficient to focus on the games that is actually going to be played, if we go with something like this, I think resurrecting the Game Workshop would indeed be necessary, so people aren't stuck never getting feedback for their games and can make them as presentable as possible for proposal.

I think this is the soundest "workflow" for the process though. Still debating how long these stages should be. This is definitely as refined as it needs to be.

---------------------------------

OTHER THINGS:

@Manti: I have a rough outline of a good Beginner's Guide and the topics it will cover, and I will get in contact with you ASAP to discuss it.

History thread stuff is underway and doesn't really affect things too much.

Everything else I think would best be considered later. I will still write something for them though.

dAnceguy117 02-27-2014 10:56 PM

hey all! we should renovate the host signups process soon. :!:

Xiz 02-27-2014 10:57 PM

Yup. We just reverted back to our old method, no thanks to me

cedolad 02-27-2014 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dAnceguy117 (Post 4086419)
hey all! we should renovate the host signups process soon. :!:

Can we get a queue system going?

Guest15937 02-28-2014 12:11 AM

Well the thing with queue systems is, there was one on another site I used to play on, and it was queued up with a wait time of like 3 years, and most of the time, once someone's game finally got up, the person had long since left the site...

We'd need a sort of activity check.

thesunfan 02-28-2014 11:17 AM

I dislike the idea of a queue because people's tastes will waver between games. Mine do at least; I'm the kid that wants to try all the different flavors of ice-cream, I can't be happy with just strawberry or whatever. Also, its a pretty big bonerkill to have to wait possibly weeks or months to host a game.

HansSky 02-28-2014 12:06 PM

I'd be willing to take on the project of putting together a detailed history of FFR(and ffya) TWGs IF I can get one or two to volunteers to help me(100+ games is a lot). Right now the history thread is incomplete but I would like to go all the way back to include a number of statistics: (inspired by devonin's annoying post in the chit chat thread)

-Total number of wolf/human wins
-Total number of wins for individual players
-Total number of games played for individuals
-Total number of votes for individuals as human and wolf
-Average day game ends on with wolf/human victory

I would also include other interesting history(the council...) and take note of when it happened. This is a lot of information which is why I would like some help. I'll still probably do it anyway even if nobody wants to take this on with me. If there is anything else(statistics) people are interested in looking for let me know.

DarkManticoreX2 02-28-2014 12:13 PM

Just an FYI, BDN and sunfan have been doing this for a while now, I think they're pretty close to done on the whole history part.

I know only 30 games are currently posted, but I'm pretty sure they have a lot more done "behind the scenes"

Also V started doing FFya's, but I don't know how far he got.

HansSky 02-28-2014 12:20 PM

Just saw that. Usually don't read before opening my mouth. Depending on where they are I'd still like to help.

DarkManticoreX2 02-28-2014 12:24 PM

Shoot BDN and Sunfan PMs. I'm sure they'd be more then happy for the help.

Brilliant Dynamite Neon 02-28-2014 03:21 PM

Sorry for abandoning this.

Yes, I think the host signups change needs to be officiated, but on the other hand I think it was doing just fine when it was one stage to propose games, and one stage with a public plurality vote which ended at a deadline.

Brilliant Dynamite Neon 02-28-2014 03:26 PM

Also, with the histories, all the main game records are finished, I just have to hand-edit all the formatting and correct errors to post them. The mainline games are finished, it's just the jTWGs that are missing now. Maybe having some records would be nice (LLF does this nicely)

thesunfan 02-28-2014 03:31 PM

BDN, I have the jTWG's updated, there were only like 10 or so that needed to be done. They also need to be reformatted, but I can put 'em in the dropbox if you want.

dAnceguy117 03-3-2014 08:24 AM

we have archive subforum now. :!:

manti could you start moving old signup/game/postgame threads into archive?

DarkManticoreX2 03-3-2014 10:16 AM

I don't really want to move everything over to the archive forum, We'd have nothing left here.

I'm thinking about moving the games over in order, I'm just worried it's going to break BDN's links in the History Thread.

dAnceguy117 03-3-2014 10:31 AM

wouldn't moving only the games be kinda funky? all of the old games in archives, and all of the old signup threads and postgame threads in the main forum?

how bout always just keeping the current year's threads in the main forum? I think that's what I would do.

yeah I was curious about the links thing too. I wanna say the URL doesn't change, but if it does I would offer to fix all of them.

edit: now that I think about it I think what you said makes sense. moving only the game threads into the subforum would make them easy to peruse. I'm dumb

edit2: I do think leaving almost nothing in the main forum could work though. check this out, I really like the look actually.
http://www.yugiohforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117&

Brilliant Dynamite Neon 03-14-2014 10:19 PM

All updated and squeaky clean!~

Let's have some new discussion soon!

dAnceguy117 03-15-2014 01:25 AM

TWG Discussions subforum is probably a no-go. I'm game to work on finding an alternative, which I think would be worthwhile.

we do have a chives subforum :cool: let's see what you got manti :cool:

dAnceguy117 04-14-2014 08:00 PM

TWG History Thread v2 is basically done

DarkManticoreX2 04-16-2014 01:55 PM

Gonna be a long post -

History To do's

TWG X - Host Comments

TWG XII - Host Comments

TWG XIII - HansSky is MVP

TWG XV - Host Comments and MVP are in below quote, edit around and such please
Quote:

Originally Posted by kilga
I'm never using the Vigilante role again, this game taught me how broken it was. My apologies to aperson for being the unlucky wolf to get dicked by it. I don't know if I'll ever use the Witness again, either.

Also, I need to lessen the human specials overall. 4 blues + witness vs 4 wolves are not great red odds. Oh well, live and learn.

MVP goes posthumously to Tps.

Next time I host, I am taking the Galaxy Angel scenario and stuffing it down all your throats, because that will be a lot easier/more fun to write for.

TWG XVI - BlahBlah18 looks like he should get MVP
---------- Host comments

TWG XVII - Host Comments - MVP
----------- Remove this line "Redid the role reveal because young!Kilga has terrible taste in colors/names"

TWG XIX - MVP

TWG XXIII - MVP - Host Comments
Will get more later.

Xiz 04-16-2014 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dAnceguy117 (Post 4116320)
TWG History Thread v2 is basically done

Thank you everyone who helped update this. Seriously, mad respect.

dAnceguy117 04-26-2014 05:11 PM

can I help you guys out with anything? I'm gonna have a bunch of free time starting in a week or two

DarkManticoreX2 05-7-2014 12:07 PM

Dance, If you want to create a listing of things the history thread is missing in the first draft, i'll edit them in.

I'm going to move Game threads and postgame threads only to the Chives Subforum and start cleaning that up.

My free time should explode in a week or two. (q1 filing will be done, summer leads to a drastic drop in things needing to be done at work.)

igotrhythm 05-7-2014 04:43 PM

Bring back the Junior TWGs. This way people new to the game or people that aren't quite up to par can still enjoy themselves. I hold no delusions that a jTWG will be any less cutthroat and brutal than a normal one, but the plays and strategies will be a bit less involved.

I'd also like to bring up how TGB's edition of TWG is now in its fourth incarnation. Congratulations on a successful experiment, guys. I think you could easily go to 10 or more.

dAnceguy117 05-7-2014 04:45 PM

if you want to make a serious proposal, I think you should start a thread to discuss.

cedolad 05-7-2014 05:17 PM

I think I may start a thread on running jTWG kind of like how they run newbie games on MS. With like an IC who can help explain to the new players, and two other vets. 6 new players sign up for a 9p game, most likely Matrix6 or 2of4, or F11 even. And then we just rotate a pool of vets.

dAnceguy117 05-7-2014 06:09 PM

I would question if we have a high enough number of interested new players for that to be worthwhile

dAnceguy117 05-11-2014 08:12 PM

manti let me know if this is at all what you were asking for or if I should do more digging for any of these.

XXIV - MVP

XXVI - MVP

XXVII - MVP

XXVIII - MVP

XXIX - MVP

XXXI - MVP

XXXII - MVP

XXXIII - MVP, host comments

XL - MVP

XLVI - MVP, host comments

XLVII - MVP, host comments were kinda weak

XLVIII - MVP

XLIX - MVP, host comments

LII - host comments

LIII - MVP

LIX - MVP

LXI - MVP

LXV - MVP

LXXI - host comments

LXXII - MVP

LXXIV - MVP

LXXV - MVP, host comments were kinda weak

LXXVI - host comments were kinda weak

LXXXI - host comments were kinda weak

LXXXIII - MVP

LXXXIV - host comments were kinda weak

LXXXVII - host comments were kinda weak

XC - host comments

XCIV - MVP

XCVI - MVP

XCVIII - host comments

C - MVP?, host comments

CIV - MVP, host comments

CXII - MVP, host comments?

CXIII - MVP went to MeaCulpa

justin_ator 05-12-2014 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cedolad (Post 4131413)
I think I may start a thread on running jTWG kind of like how they run newbie games on MS. With like an IC who can help explain to the new players, and two other vets. 6 new players sign up for a 9p game, most likely Matrix6 or 2of4, or F11 even. And then we just rotate a pool of vets.

Good idea for sure. As someone who has virtually no idea what TWG is, I can say that the ability to play in a game where I'm not expected to maintain the same level of insight as the regular players would make getting into TWG a lot more of an enjoyable thing if I were to choose to do so, rather than a daunting task. You could somewhat equate it to only offering D4+ tournaments on FFR, nobody new would ever join a tournament because they'd have nowhere to start.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dAnceguy117 (Post 4131440)
I would question if we have a high enough number of interested new players for that to be worthwhile

While involvement may not be numbers everyone would hope to see (or warrant such an initiative), you really won't know just how many people are willing to get into TWG if you make it a little more attainable or inviting. I myself am one of those people that would probably be interested enough to check it out if there was a more new-player-friendly version of the game going.

dAnceguy117 05-12-2014 01:14 PM

thank you for the input, justin! sincerely appreciated.

DarkManticoreX2 05-13-2014 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkManticoreX2 (Post 4117319)
Gonna be a long post -
History To do's

TWG X - Host Comments
TWG XII - Host Comments
TWG XIII - HansSky is MVP
TWG XV - Host Comments and MVP are in below quote, edit around and such please
---------- Host comments
----------- Remove this line "Redid the role reveal because young!Kilga has terrible taste in colors/names"
TWG XIX - MVP
Will get more later.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dAnceguy117 (Post 4133829)
XXIV - MVP
XXVI - MVP
XXVII - MVP
XXVIII - MVP
XXIX - MVP
XXXI - MVP
XXXII - MVP
XL - MVP
XLVIII - MVP
L - Postgame, Host Comments
LII - host comments
LIII - MVP
LIX - MVP
LXI - MVP
LXV - MVP
LXXI - host comments
LXXII - MVP
LXXIV - MVP
LXXV - MVP, host comments were kinda weak
LXXVI - host comments were kinda weak
LXXXIII - MVP
LXXXIV - host comments were kinda weak
LXXXVII - host comments were kinda weak
XC - host comments
XCIV - MVP
XCVI - MVP
XCVIII - host comments
C - MVP?, host comments
CIV - MVP, host comments
CXII - MVP, host comments?
CXIII - MVP went to MeaCulpa

Okay I'm going to work through these and edit the history thread to fill in the holes.

If people want to help, (especially with host comments) re-read one of the games that needs a re-done host comments section (menioned above), Write one up based on how you read the game and post it here along with the number of the TWG it's for. When I edit it into the history thread I will strikethrough it from the list above.

Brilliant Dynamite Neon 05-13-2014 08:13 PM

i fhosts of those games are still active, also you could always ask them for comment if its not too far gone meow.

Sorry for abandoning this thread, I'll be around to seriously duscuss thing in a couple of days.

Brilliant Dynamite Neon 05-13-2014 08:56 PM

also I pm'd you a little present manti :3

dAnceguy117 05-17-2014 08:48 PM

newest to oldest

CXII
A hard push from jrodd and a hammer from ___________ led to the early demise of Tokzic in Day 1.

With a strategy in place to use the nightkill-replacing vigi shot and confirm the two blues, V conceded instead of trying to play the game out with an extremely low chance of winning.

CIV
Wolves rolled.

A gambit from Xiz and its misinterpretation led thesunfan to claim and form an alliance (good for humans) and to lynch Xiz (good for wolves). An accurate vigi shot determined by the hidden human alliance and sent by Gradiant kept the humans in the game. Seering the red miller burned another day phase for the humans, though, and a major lull in activity led to the seer being lynched in a KitB. One errant vote at LyLo gave the wolves an opportunity to swing votes briefly before the final day expired to secure the win.

The wolf team used a combination of lurking, convincing IM conversations, and in-thread distancing to get the job done.

XCVIII
Blue powers were a non-factor; vigi was killed Night 1, cop was blocked all nights, and the town didn't do a great job of rallying behind the innocent child.

V texted Fiction and burned a day phase in a failed suicide bomb attempt. Manti posted a clever wolfclaim late in the game, but a convincing reaction from YMIA put the wolves in a strong position to win.

Consistent bussing between wolves covered their own tracks, and two errant human votes led to a game-clinching quickhammer.

XC
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarinet89 (Post 3285548)
MVP - syhto for being active throughout the entire game, faking psychic, and getting the pressure off of you during the last day, also, providing the means necessary to lynch the seer.

LVP - EVERYONE ELSE! This includes wolves and humans (but not manti, since he didnt really get a chance to play for real). BE ACTIVE DAMMIT! If you're going to sign up for a game or sub in, make sure that you will be able to put some time into it, otherwise this ****storm will happen every time! Also, the humans need to get their acts together. This is two games in a row where there was a clean sweep. Afro and fic do get gold stars though for being active and not following everyone else.

DarkManticoreX2 05-21-2014 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dAnceguy117 (Post 4136739)
newest to oldest

CXII
A hard push from jrodd and a hammer from ___________ led to the early demise of Tokzic in Day 1.

With a strategy in place to use the nightkill-replacing vigi shot and confirm the two blues, V conceded instead of trying to play the game out with an extremely low chance of winning.

CIV
Wolves rolled.

A gambit from Xiz and its misinterpretation led thesunfan to claim and form an alliance (good for humans) and to lynch Xiz (good for wolves). An accurate vigi shot determined by the hidden human alliance and sent by Gradiant kept the humans in the game. Seering the red miller burned another day phase for the humans, though, and a major lull in activity led to the seer being lynched in a KitB. One errant vote at LyLo gave the wolves an opportunity to swing votes briefly before the final day expired to secure the win.

The wolf team used a combination of lurking, convincing IM conversations, and in-thread distancing to get the job done.

XCVIII
Blue powers were a non-factor; vigi was killed Night 1, cop was blocked all nights, and the town didn't do a great job of rallying behind the innocent child.

V texted Fiction and burned a day phase in a failed suicide bomb attempt. Manti posted a clever wolfclaim late in the game, but a convincing reaction from YMIA put the wolves in a strong position to win.

Consistent bussing between wolves covered their own tracks, and two errant human votes led to a game-clinching quickhammer.

XC

Got all of these updated.

We are also archived up through game 56.

DarkManticoreX2 05-21-2014 10:52 PM

Also holy Shenanagoats there's a lot of threads with messed up titles.

Archived through 72

Done Archiving!

dAnceguy117 06-19-2014 02:38 PM

hey so I still have a ton of time on my hands.

Manti, are we still hacking away at that list in post #62?

is there any other general project stuff we all should look at?

DarkManticoreX2 06-19-2014 03:42 PM

Yeah, I've stalled out a bit on that due to time restraints with work and etc..

Toss me a few comments and i''l gladly edit them in.

dAnceguy117 06-20-2014 01:20 PM

here we goooo

LXXXVII
Quote:

mvp - iggy for seering a wolf n2, and getting the other three lyched and vigi'd.
Lvp - none! You all played a wonderful game! Good job!
- dishonorable mention: Fic did almost break up the human alliance though.

LXXXIV
Quote:

individual player analysis

1. Tupacodaman (tupacodaman) - human - you played mediocre compared to a lot of the games i see you play. Also not sure why you decided to ignore the psychic reading. If there was a wolf pretending to be psychic, jwc would have handled the counterclaims. There were none, thus iso was the legit psychic.

2. Iluswirl (iluswirl) - human - outside of the post where you defended yourself, you didn't post one idea, suggestion, or even a post longer than 2 lines anywhere in the game. This was a subpar performance from you.

3. Redherring (falseclues) - human - i'll recognize you're fairly new to the game and comment from that viewpoint. Personally i found you to be suspicious most of the game, you need to be careful with how your votes look. Often it looked like you were bandwagoning lynches (to quote you: Wolves love instas), and not collecting evidence of your own. Not keeping logs doesn't make you a wolf, but you were generally suspicious most of the game. (i actually had to re-check the playerlilst twice during the game to see if you were a wolf or not.) on the plus side i thought your defense was good, maybe not as solid as it could be with experience, but at least you tried, which is more then several people in this game.

4. Sc979 (sam97379) - human - night one wolvings suck. Fair warning, next time you post game related info in an after death post its a game ban. Anything game-related can't be posted period whether it be real fake or stupid. It could adversely affect the game.

5. Ac1speakerbox (ac1colossus) - wolf - your activity level was very good, that made me happy. You got really angry when argo called you out, which i would have interpenetrated as nervousness and lynched you for it, but nobody picked up on it.

6. Argo15 (argo1516) - human - quite at first, but you did indeed call all the wolves by the end of the game. Log checking only works if everyone keeps logs, which i why you offed red, still though you brought the game almost back to a winnable situation. You probably could have done so with a little more support (see iso)

7. Gun92 (james92hofmann) - hoochan - human - gun had to sub out early, but hoochan came in guns blazing, just in the wrong direction. (don't point guns at the seer especially if theres no counterclaims). Freaky threw some oil on the fire and you got lynched fast.

8. Isosceles (dwaynejr1127) - psychic - at the end of the game, you should have thrown your full weight behind argo if you believed him. He needed the extra support, and your role was useless by that point anyway (should another human be lynched the game would be over, if the game wasn't over you got a wolf). Had you supported argo, i really do think this could have been turned into a last second human victory.

9. Freakysnots (freakysnots) - master wolf - freaky dominated this game, good discernment catching jwc's "slip up blue reveal" and calling pnt as a blue, as well as generally calling the shots for the entire wolf team. Had argo not come on so right at the end of the game, freaky would be mvp.

10. Sangekusanagi (gameguy81592) - wolf - you and bolth were both too inactive for my taste. I've always thought winning means less if you don't have to work for it.

11. Temote (sumote) - human - i kinda was hoping for more posts from you. You've got the reasoning skills, but you keep your thoughts to yourself. Your thoughts aren't as beneficial if only you know them.

12. Bolth mannn (bolthmannn) - wolf - you and sange were both too inactive for my taste. I've always thought winning means less if you don't have to work for it.

13. Fictionjunction (fikshonjunkshon) - human - got wolved early as well. Your posts were quality though and on target.

14. Travman301 (rbennie362) - human - you got d1 bandwagoned over nothing, i do think you could have gotten that off of you had you tried harder.

15. Pntballa18 (merlonfan28) - guardian - for the days you were alive i thought you played well. You picked up on redherring quicker than i would have (even though he wasn't a wolf).

16. Jwcgator (jwcgator2) - seer - you managed to hit wolves on 2/3 seer attempts, which is pretty damn good. Just unlucky that you hit the master wolf on night 2. Probably not a good idea to comment on blues though, or at least give people the impression someone's a blue. Thats how pnt died.

Mvp goes to argo15
--- for calling all the wolves before the end of game. Had the humans listened to you, you certainly had the potential to turn this game around. Unfortunately, you either didn't get established enough to accumulate a following, or freaky substantially undermined your efforts. Iso should have come out in full support of you at that point since he was basically useless from then on.

LXXVI
page 1: night 1 shitposting
page 2: Hoochan was a douchebag; Manti wolfed n1
page 3: nothing really
page 4: lots of safeties; Fiction pushes Hoochan lynch
page 5: rzr lynched d1
page 6: Hoochan wolfed n2
page 7: um what the hell happened. let's see. it looks like there was a many-way KITB with one vote each. argo and robertsona both voted each other, and they both died upon KITB. so one of them was the brutal wolf. so brutal + human died d2.
page 8: Makilaz wolfed n3; tupacodaman replaced gun; safeties everywhere
page 9: Fiction lynched d3 for no reason; trav replaced pnt? pnt became temp mod?
page 10: trav posts an AIM log where he faked wolf replacement to Cyrenics, who basically claims wolf in the log. Cyrenics wolfed n4.
page 11: xplay quicklynched d4; emerald replaced clarinet; tupacodaman wolfed n5
page 12: people forgot to vote; thunder lynched d5 via KITB
page 13: emerald wolfed n6; Spyke hammered sully in d6 immediately because 3 phantoms; Spyke wolfed ruritsu n7 instead of trav because ?????????? what the fuck
page 14: 1v1 trav vs Spyke, no phantoms in play, Spyke lynched d7 in KITB. humans win.

- This game was an inactivity-fest.
- The only plays worth mentioning were travman faking wolf to a wolf via OC and Cyrenics wolfing himself.
- FFRTWG has come a long way. We should be thankful for each other.

LXXV
Quote:

I would've liked to see more people use their powers and see how it could have unfolded. If there was an LVP for this game I would have to say it twas jump_the_bullet. If he didn't miss the deadline, have Manti alive and a psychic dead, it would've been interesting. Also, it was pretty unlucky of Manti to pose as Sheriff to the person who seers red to him (rofl).
Quote:

I was actually confused on how everyone started bandwagoning on jtb since Temote DID seer him. I thought wolves would have had a chance at that point.

dAnceguy117 06-20-2014 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiction from 2009 during a day 1
I think the voting phase works as it would normally. Let's just not baselessly vote every day phase, though. I mean, seriously. Get evidence first ;( ..or something

holy shit the times have changed.

j-rodd123 06-20-2014 02:12 PM

lmao

DarkManticoreX2 06-24-2014 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dAnceguy117 (Post 4153505)
here we goooo

LXXXVII

LXXXIV

LXXVI
page 1: night 1 shitposting
page 2: Hoochan was a douchebag; Manti wolfed n1
page 3: nothing really
page 4: lots of safeties; Fiction pushes Hoochan lynch
page 5: rzr lynched d1
page 6: Hoochan wolfed n2
page 7: um what the hell happened. let's see. it looks like there was a many-way KITB with one vote each. argo and robertsona both voted each other, and they both died upon KITB. so one of them was the brutal wolf. so brutal + human died d2.
page 8: Makilaz wolfed n3; tupacodaman replaced gun; safeties everywhere
page 9: Fiction lynched d3 for no reason; trav replaced pnt? pnt became temp mod?
page 10: trav posts an AIM log where he faked wolf replacement to Cyrenics, who basically claims wolf in the log. Cyrenics wolfed n4.
page 11: xplay quicklynched d4; emerald replaced clarinet; tupacodaman wolfed n5
page 12: people forgot to vote; thunder lynched d5 via KITB
page 13: emerald wolfed n6; Spyke hammered sully in d6 immediately because 3 phantoms; Spyke wolfed ruritsu n7 instead of trav because ?????????? what the fuck
page 14: 1v1 trav vs Spyke, no phantoms in play, Spyke lynched d7 in KITB. humans win.

- This game was an inactivity-fest.
- The only plays worth mentioning were travman faking wolf to a wolf via OC and Cyrenics wolfing himself.
- FFRTWG has come a long way. We should be thankful for each other.

LXXV

Clear! toss me a few more!

DarkManticoreX2 06-24-2014 09:51 AM

History To do's UPDATED

TWG X - Host Comments
TWG XII - Host Comments
---------- Host comments
TWG XIX - MVP
XXIV - MVP
XXVI - MVP
XXVII - MVP
XXVIII - MVP
XXIX - MVP
XXXI - MVP
XXXII - MVP
XL - MVP
XLVIII - MVP
LII - host comments
LIII - MVP
LIX - MVP
LXI - MVP
LXV - MVP
LXXI - host comments
LXXII - MVP
LXXIV - MVP
LXXXIII - MVP
C - host comments
XCIV - MVP, Host comments

If people want to help, (especially with host comments) re-read one of the games that needs a re-done host comments section (menioned above), Write one up based on how you read the game and post it here along with the number of the TWG it's for. When I edit it into the history thread I will strikethrough it from the list above.

DarkManticoreX2 09-10-2014 02:58 PM

Still have that to update above.

I'm planning on starting a host handbook thread soon, which will cover all the necessary things a host needs to do from the signup thread to the next signup thread.