Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Hyper Iria world record (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=154642)

Hateandhatred 02-22-2024 09:55 PM

Hyper Iria world record

So a bit over 2 weeks ago, I was trying out Japanese retro games that never came out in the West but eventually got a fan translation. I discovered a bunch of cool gems, but most importantly, I found out about Hyper Iria and I kind of fell in love with it. I played through it the next day and decided I wanted to master this game.

I looked it up on speedrun.com and found out the world record was 8 years old and quite a bit better than the other scores on the leaderboard. I decided to get to work and try to get the world record for myself. I recently quit my job and am visiting my parents in my native village, so I definitely had time to practice, which I did for almost 10 hours a day, every day.

Once I felt ready, with hundreds of attempts on every stage but the last one, I started doing speedruns live on Twitch. 134 attempts later, here I am.

This was a silly sidequest in my life and of course not the greatest accomplishment in gaming history or anything, but it was really great. I'm 33 years old and I love video games, and sometimes I wonder if my peak gaming days are behind me. I'm glad I could see this through to the end like this, it feels fantastic.

Also, this is a pretty great B tier game, very fun to get into especially if you like memorizing routes. I'd be happy to give advice to anyone wanting to give this game a shot!

Anyway, I just wanted to share =) I hope you all have a great day

MarioNintendo 02-23-2024 07:44 AM

Re: Hyper Iria world record

I love this. Glad you're enjoying yourself! :)

Zyxel 02-23-2024 08:22 AM

i cant wait for the video essay that comes out 3 years from now detailing the incredibly competitive speedrun ladder of "Hyper Iria" that features this thread for one of the games world records

Hateandhatred 02-23-2024 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zyxel (Post 4793890)
i cant wait for the video essay that comes out 3 years from now detailing the incredibly competitive speedrun ladder of "Hyper Iria" that features this thread for one of the games world records

you'll be summoningsalt's informant

thesunfan 02-23-2024 12:26 PM

I had the music stuck in my head while I was trying to sleep last night

Lights 02-23-2024 12:32 PM

idk what this is, but good job on doing the thing

Hakulyte 02-25-2024 10:44 AM

I'm surprised there's not some sort of FFR speedrunning group.

Hyper Iria is a great game to learn speedruns.

H&H made me try it out and I'm getting close to under 17 min now.

I was just thinking that if I can do it, others probably can too.

Black_Shield 02-25-2024 06:57 PM

i was gonna ask if anyone moderates that game anymore, i answered my own question by visiting the speedrun webpage, gg H&H.

Hateandhatred 02-26-2024 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black_Shield (Post 4793926)
i was gonna ask if anyone moderates that game anymore, i answered my own question by visiting the speedrun webpage, gg H&H.

I messaged the mod on discord and he responded within 30 seconds, that was nuts. Then we talked for a bit and he modded me so I could take over mod stuff

Hateandhatred 02-28-2024 05:54 PM

I just lost world record, therefore I am going back on the grind!

Zyxel 02-28-2024 06:43 PM

obligatory message for when summoning salt screenshots this thread 5 years later, put me in the video captain o7

Hateandhatred 02-29-2024 06:05 AM

The new world record's animation cancelling is so fucking good

See @ 2:17

I experimented with this a little bit yesterday, but it's incredibly difficult to pull off on controller. Haku is also pretty good at cancelling, but this is next level

Hakulyte 04-21-2024 05:56 AM

Just got the any% WR with 15m 40s 580ms.

https://www.speedrun.com/hyper_iria/runs/mkpd5q1y

Not my proudest run, but it did the job. I did the classic "do what the others are doing, but try to do it a bit better". I do have ideas, but I probably shouldn't try them in full runs until I properly test them to be consistent. Stage 1 & 3 were a bit yikes tbh. Mostly got carried by Stage 2,4,5.

I also have the normal% WR, but I think people are sleeping on it. I swear it's not a bad time.

https://www.speedrun.com/hyper_iria/runs/zp62rkxm

Hateandhatred 04-21-2024 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hakulyte (Post 4796266)

Not my proudest run, but it did the job. I did the classic "do what the others are doing, but try to do it a bit better". I do have ideas, but I probably shouldn't try them in full runs until I properly test them to be consistent. Stage 1 & 3 were a bit yikes tbh. Mostly got carried by Stage 2,4,5.

I also have the normal% WR, but I think people are sleeping on it. I swear it's not a bad time.

Hey you're the champ, so I believe you about normal%. I have to play it again this week, I swear I'm doing that once I'm out of nuzlocke hell

Also to anyone reading this, this is a fantastic game to speedrun

MarioNintendo 04-21-2024 10:40 AM

Hello YouTube!

Hateandhatred 04-21-2024 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarioNintendo (Post 4796271)
Hello YouTube!

come play with us

Hateandhatred 04-26-2024 02:43 AM

https://www.speedrun.com/hyper_iria well shit I took the any% by less than a second

Hateandhatred 04-26-2024 11:54 PM

Just got sub 15:4X and grabbed the normal% world record for the hell of it. Both runs are trash. The any% run is worse than most of the other top times, but I basically landed a desperate carpetless.

As for normal%...

Quote:

I mean, it -is- good, but nothing you can't destroy as you are right now. I beat it in 9 tries, you will beat it within 10 for sure, and not by a few seconds.

Hakulyte 04-27-2024 06:37 AM

I just got back the normal% by beating my time by 10 seconds so, I guess you're not wrong. Took me 40-50 runs tho, not 10 lol. Rust maybe idk.

any% is coin flip to WR back tbh

Edit: Improved the normal% WR of 17m35s to 17m17s just now.

Rapta 04-27-2024 07:30 AM

Quote:

What is required to test them to be consistent?

Creosm 04-28-2024 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A guy on YT
"and little did they know, this run would go on to create hundreds of speedruns for this game"

(some day in the future)

Hateandhatred 04-28-2024 03:42 AM

Haku dropped a monster run today in normal%... Very intimidating, so today I had a practice stream to sharpen my skill and strats.

This game is so fucking good to speedrun. It's not even a bad game casually, hell I would recommend it to anyone who's into super nintendo games, but they really have to play the english fan translation to get the real experience. It just feels very good to run on top of that, the main character's hurtbox is insanely precise for a game this old, and it's just jank enough to have lots of cool strats to work on, and it feels like every movement strats is designed to work out without having to break stride. It does lag, though.

I know all of you probably will never give a shit about this game, but still.

Hakulyte 04-28-2024 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rapta (Post 4796332)
What is required to test them to be consistent?

This is faster to explain if you run the game as well.

It's basically evaluating potential setups to save time in every corner of every level.
There might be some RNG manipulation, places where taking a hit is worth it, places where you have to yolo and do very specific things or your entire run could be gone etc.

Basically, we're still debating on what setups/strats are real or "fake news" for each level.
There's only 5 levels in the game and it's shorter than 20 minutes if you speedrun.
There's still a lot of trial & error even now which makes the speedrunning part still fun. Leaderboard is mostly empty compared to a game like Mario 64.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hateandhatred (Post 4796341)
Haku dropped a monster run today in normal%... Very intimidating, so today I had a practice stream to sharpen my skill and strats.

This game is so fucking good to speedrun. It's not even a bad game casually, hell I would recommend it to anyone who's into super nintendo games, but they really have to play the english fan translation to get the real experience. It just feels very good to run on top of that, the main character's hurtbox is insanely precise for a game this old, and it's just jank enough to have lots of cool strats to work on, and it feels like every movement strats is designed to work out without having to break stride. It does lag, though.

I know all of you probably will never give a shit about this game, but still.

I'm actually convinced you'll catch up based on how you've been playing in practice. It's just a matter of getting 1 run where everything align okay.

I do am worried if any of us get close to sub 17 minutes on normal% tho. Normal% is a bit of a joke still because there's only 3 players on that leaderboard.
Me, Hateandhatred and someone that haven't played in a long time. Someone could easily come out of nowhere and snipe times just by looking at what we did.
The more we improve the time, the easier it becomes for others to know what to do exactly.

Edit: Got back WR on any% as well. I guess it's going to be a ping pong game between me and H&H for that until one of us break the 15m30s barrier.
https://www.speedrun.com/hyper_iria/runs/ydnggovm

Hateandhatred 05-1-2024 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hakulyte (Post 4796342)
I'm actually convinced you'll catch up based on how you've been playing in practice. It's just a matter of getting 1 run where everything align okay.

Edit: Got back WR on any% as well. I guess it's going to be a ping pong game between me and H&H for that until one of us break the 15m30s barrier.
https://www.speedrun.com/hyper_iria/runs/ydnggovm

It's been done.

This run can still be cleaned up, but it's a big improvement!

Hateandhatred 05-2-2024 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hakulyte (Post 4796342)
I do am worried if any of us get close to sub 17 minutes on normal% tho. Normal% is a bit of a joke still because there's only 3 players on that leaderboard.
Me, Hateandhatred and someone that haven't played in a long time. Someone could easily come out of nowhere and snipe times just by looking at what we did.
The more we improve the time, the easier it becomes for others to know what to do exactly.

Hi.

https://www.speedrun.com/hyper_iria?h=normal&x=jdzpvnvk

How close do you want it to be?

Hakulyte 05-3-2024 12:39 AM

I think we both can do better tbh, but that's definitely a step in the right direction.

If you can integrate a 1 cycle stage 4 boss and get a solid run, I think normal% will be rip until a new major find.

MarioNintendo 05-3-2024 08:14 AM

Sub 17 is within reach yoooooo

Hateandhatred 05-5-2024 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarioNintendo (Post 4796392)
Sub 17 is within reach yoooooo

Actually, it's already here!

So with this... I think I'm going to take a break from running. I want to do other stuff at the moment, but I will be coming back to the grind. That doesn't mean I'm leaving Iria, in fact, I plan to make tutorials and an autosplitter to help future runners get into the game, with all the info Haku and I have gathered so far. I also hope that in the meantime, Haku catches up, as I've been progressing a little too much lately.

Creosm 05-5-2024 03:03 AM

Nice wth

T-Force 05-5-2024 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hateandhatred (Post 4796402)
Actually, it's already here!

So with this... I think I'm going to take a break from running. I want to do other stuff at the moment, but I will be coming back to the grind. That doesn't mean I'm leaving Iria, in fact, I plan to make tutorials and an autosplitter to help future runners get into the game, with all the info Haku and I have gathered so far. I also hope that in the meantime, Haku catches up, as I've been progressing a little too much lately.

Hot damn.

Hakulyte 05-6-2024 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hateandhatred (Post 4796402)
I also hope that in the meantime, Haku catches up, as I've been progressing a little too much lately.

I went from 17m17s to 17m07s today, but that 16m56s is something else. Thanks for helping with the Stage 2 boss setup.

This is starting to feel like a race to find every cut and setups for consistent time saves.

Hateandhatred 05-9-2024 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hakulyte (Post 4796411)
I went from 17m17s to 17m07s today, but that 16m56s is something else. Thanks for helping with the Stage 2 boss setup.

This is starting to feel like a race to find every cut and setups for consistent time saves.

I recorded clips for the any% walkthrough, finished way earlier than I thought, so I decided to do a few runs...

https://www.speedrun.com/hyper_iria?h=any1&x=mkeo1xjd

GGWP.

Hakulyte 05-10-2024 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hateandhatred (Post 4796420)
I recorded clips for the any% walkthrough, finished way earlier than I thought, so I decided to do a few runs...

https://www.speedrun.com/hyper_iria?h=any1&x=mkeo1xjd

GGWP.

When I started playing this game, I estimated that we would get stuck around 15m15s for any% in terms of strats. You're awfully close of that already lmao. 1 cycle Stage 4 boss looks really intimidating. The rest looks surprisingly normal. I'm very confuse on the time saves. I'll probably have to go improve my time to understand it better. I feel like part of it is the normal% new strats.