Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Health and Fitness (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   Misc. progress thread (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=137637)

Arch0wl 06-16-2014 08:10 PM

Misc. progress thread

A useful part of the fitness thread was the ability to mention minor accomplishments and strategize about routines, not necessarily with pictures. I think that'd be helpful to have here.

SCWolf 06-24-2014 08:55 PM

Re: Misc. progress thread

The other day I benched 210 for 9 reps, which is an all time PR. Bench has been feeling much more comfortable lately.

Tonight I hit 140lbs incline for 5x10, which is also a PR.

Nyokou 06-26-2014 08:09 AM

Was challenged by a friend to average 3.3mph on treadmill in a 1hr session and finally reached it about 2 weeks ago. Getting close to 3.4 now.

Also had a hard time using elliptical machine for more than 10-15 min but can easily go for 30-45 min now at a higher inclination + resistance than before.

Reach 06-26-2014 09:08 AM

Hit 240 for 5 on bench last night for a PR; going for 245 on Saturday. Really hoping to hit it.

Goal is to hit a 315 1 RM by next summer. Has been a goal of mine for a long time :)

It's funny though, that's a really good bench Chris but that incline? Damn man.

I can still incline 205 for 8 to chest. I really like incline bench XD

NorthStrong 06-26-2014 10:38 AM

Gonna squat over 4 this weekend which should be cool.

Reach how long you been lifting for mayne?

.Gazelle. 06-26-2014 11:11 AM

trying to get my bench up, started lifting about a month or so ago. Bench is at about 105 right now, want to get to around 135. Also want to get squat from 225 to 250

Reach 06-26-2014 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthStrong (Post 4156359)
Gonna squat over 4 this weekend which should be cool.

Reach how long you been lifting for mayne?

2.5 years

I've never really trained for strength though, at least in the sense that I've been running a split the entire time and usually do high reps. I just progressively overload whenever possible because I want to be big.

But I want that 3 plate bench!

I'd like to deadlift 500 lbs too, but I'm not pushing for that. That will happen...whenever it happens. I can't risk injuring my back where I work, so deadlift just isn't something I'm pushing right now. I'm pulling 375-385 for 5 or so and I'm pretty comfortable there, just moving up whenever.

Finally overcoming my hip injury though, now that they've healed I'm squatting again, which is nice. Might set some goals there in the near future.

TC_Halogen 06-26-2014 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyokou (Post 4156310)
Was challenged by a friend to average 3.3mph on treadmill in a 1hr session and finally reached it about 2 weeks ago. Getting close to 3.4 now.

Also had a hard time using elliptical machine for more than 10-15 min but can easily go for 30-45 min now at a higher inclination + resistance than before.

hey! someone who's not insane to me in regards to fitness, haha

I actually challenged myself to do the hill preset on the tread for 15 min at 5.5 MPH; managed to make it all the way through and complete the cooldown on my third session attempt. Going to gradually increase the distance (heading there tomorrow, gonna give 17 minutes an attempt at 5.5 + 3 minute cooldown for a 20 minute shot -- my long term goal is to do one full hour at that speed, or 57 + 3).

Xiz 06-26-2014 02:56 PM

3 days from now will mark the day when I finish my first round of p90x. Hype~

NorthStrong 06-26-2014 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reach (Post 4156452)
2.5 years

I've never really trained for strength though, at least in the sense that I've been running a split the entire time and usually do high reps. I just progressively overload whenever possible because I want to be big.

But I want that 3 plate bench!

I'd like to deadlift 500 lbs too, but I'm not pushing for that. That will happen...whenever it happens. I can't risk injuring my back where I work, so deadlift just isn't something I'm pushing right now. I'm pulling 375-385 for 5 or so and I'm pretty comfortable there, just moving up whenever.

Finally overcoming my hip injury though, now that they've healed I'm squatting again, which is nice. Might set some goals there in the near future.

Ahh right on! Well, regardless of rep range progressively overloading / lifting weights in general is really strength training.

Yeah a 3 plate bench is something I wanna hit as well, probably will happen at a meet next year some time for me.

Alioth 06-26-2014 09:52 PM

I was able to lose five pounds this week. I am striving to become a Thai Boxer (like...able to participate in K1 and other big Thai Boxing bouts) not only because I do have a lot of experience in the sport, but...I want to prove to myself that I can get over my grudges, enemies, and most of all...my demons.

Right now I weigh 295 lbs. I'm looking to get to 185 - 205 lbs in order to start fighting for my gym.

Nyokou 06-27-2014 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TC_Halogen (Post 4156506)
hey! someone who's not insane to me in regards to fitness, haha

I actually challenged myself to do the hill preset on the tread for 15 min at 5.5 MPH; managed to make it all the way through and complete the cooldown on my third session attempt. Going to gradually increase the distance (heading there tomorrow, gonna give 17 minutes an attempt at 5.5 + 3 minute cooldown for a 20 minute shot -- my long term goal is to do one full hour at that speed, or 57 + 3).

Hahaha yeah I'm just kinda doing my own thing. Started off as physical therapy for my messed up knees but turned into the pursuit of a more fitter, healthier lifestyle. Have a long way to go though.

I find the inclination on treadmills to be a bit weird, I'd rather go walking outside since it's so hilly here in VA anyways.

5.5 seems like such a far off thing for me. I'll get there too eventually. I usually do 55min + 5min cooldown tho~

SCWolf 06-27-2014 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reach (Post 4156323)
Hit 240 for 5 on bench last night for a PR; going for 245 on Saturday. Really hoping to hit it.

Goal is to hit a 315 1 RM by next summer. Has been a goal of mine for a long time :)

It's funny though, that's a really good bench Chris but that incline? Damn man.

I can still incline 205 for 8 to chest. I really like incline bench XD

Sounds like you're getting the hang of it, which is cool. In which case your numbers are going to go up pretty quickly on the bench.

My best for incline bench is 205 for 2 or 3 I can't remember exactly. Always to chest.

TC_Halogen 06-29-2014 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyokou (Post 4156918)
Hahaha yeah I'm just kinda doing my own thing. Started off as physical therapy for my messed up knees but turned into the pursuit of a more fitter, healthier lifestyle. Have a long way to go though.

I find the inclination on treadmills to be a bit weird, I'd rather go walking outside since it's so hilly here in VA anyways.

5.5 seems like such a far off thing for me. I'll get there too eventually. I usually do 55min + 5min cooldown tho~

Little by little, for sure. 5.5 is quite a bit tougher because you're forced to do a reasonable jogging pace.

I went to the fitness center of my complex at like 1 AM last night, and did the same 5.5 MPH + inclines, and held it for 20 + 3 with surprisingly little issue; I was in a pretty good mood last night after that happened, haha.

Nyokou 06-29-2014 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TC_Halogen (Post 4158214)
Little by little, for sure. 5.5 is quite a bit tougher because you're forced to do a reasonable jogging pace.

I went to the fitness center of my complex at like 1 AM last night, and did the same 5.5 MPH + inclines, and held it for 20 + 3 with surprisingly little issue; I was in a pretty good mood last night after that happened, haha.

Oh nice! :D Yeah, it feels great when you accomplish something haha. Makes you want to keep on going, well, for me at least. But then I realize my legs are all wiggly haha.

SCWolf 06-29-2014 07:16 PM

Just hit 180lbs for 10 on the incline bench. Puts my one rep max at an estimated 240lbs. Currently weighing in at 156lbs.

Mahou 07-1-2014 12:52 AM

I bought performance insoles and it got rid of the really bad pain I had in my quadriceps. I had a few 7 mile runs just to be sure that the problem was alleviated. I'm back in business.

I would definitely recommend taking this route to any runner if they're having ankle/hamstring/quad problems.

Nyokou 07-6-2014 12:38 PM

50 lbs total lost milestone yass

I'll be under 200 by sometime next month most likely, finally

Bluearrowll 07-6-2014 01:00 PM

I wouldn't really consider myself as someone who's fit relative to other people in this forum, but I did walk 13.2km yesterday which was a pretty nice number :)

ExacerbatE 07-6-2014 06:22 PM

My fitness levels are as bad as my fiffer scores, but I can say that my deadlift is outstanding at 550 x 3. I haven't actually done any benching, etc. in a long while. I should get back into it!

SCWolf 07-9-2014 07:44 PM

Did back squats for the first time in 18 months and found my one rep max at 315, currently weighing in at 155ish

Kraezymann 07-11-2014 08:19 AM

When people talk about how much they lift, do they include the weight of the bar in their numbers? I just started using a bench press and I'm curious

Arch0wl 07-12-2014 02:34 AM

include weight of bar

Kraezymann 07-12-2014 09:40 AM

Thanks dude!

Reach 07-12-2014 11:48 AM

Yeah, the bar is 45 lbs so always add that. Assuming it's a standard bar. I've seen 35 lb bars in my gym. They're usually shorter.

Kraezymann 07-12-2014 08:10 PM

Alright cool, thanks. Then I guess I'll start by saying that my current comfortable lifting weight is 95. I'm going to the gym more often now so that need should start to go up soon

SCWolf 07-12-2014 09:29 PM

good work man, keep it up!

Reach 07-15-2014 04:27 PM

Going to be logging all of my powerlifting progress on fitocracy from here out if anyone wants to follow what's going on.

https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/Reachg/?activities

Right now I'm cutting and focusing on a few things to prep myself for some strength gains this offseason, which will be in a few weeks for me.

For the time being:

All bench reps are 3 second paused reps. I want to be at a completely dead stop for this to have absolutely 0 stretch reflex. I need to build to strength off the bottom to help my bench (Realized I could bench 265x5 with a 1 inch board on my chest) because it's by far my biggest weakness on this lift.

I switched deadlift to conventional so I reset it @ 295 a few weeks ago. Slowly just moving it up over this cut in preparation for lifting conventional during this bulk.

Squat I completely reset a few weeks ago after 3 months of recovery after hip flexor injury. Extremely light right now, but I'm trying to re-strengthen those muscles. Going to push linear progression as hard as I can on this cut for those.

Kraezymann 07-15-2014 04:45 PM

That's insane... Those numbers lol. I added an extra 10 onto my bench weight yesterday and it was remarkable how it felt that it was heavier, but still manageable

Also I tried my first deadlifts yesterday!

Reach 07-22-2014 01:07 PM

Fucking fitocracy, I can't see any of the workouts I've posted since July 18, and it's really pissing me off since I was relying on this to be able to record my lifts. Pretty mad. Have no idea what is going on; keep relogging the lifts, view in feed and they show up, and then they disappear. Want to shoot this site.

Hit a 205 incline bench today for 5 with 3 sec full pause on chest. Pretty happy with that.

SCWolf 07-27-2014 03:42 PM

I've been using Evernote for a long time to record all my stuff. It's cross platform so I can access it everywhere basically. I've had no issues with it so far.

NorthStrong 08-14-2014 10:57 PM

Here's a few recent rep PRs.

Squat 335x10, 355x8, 360x6
Bench 195x10, 210x8, 215x6
Deadlift 285x10, 305x8, 340x6 (2nd week sumo)
Press 135x8, 140x7

Just building up a big volume base before my meet peak stuff.

SCWolf 08-15-2014 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthStrong (Post 4183845)
140x7

Good job man, that's solid

Alioth 08-17-2014 08:03 AM

I ran 1 mile yesterday. Trying to get back into running, but committing to anything for me is hard :/

Coolboyrulez0 08-17-2014 08:19 AM

So I went to this city festival and my friend introduced me to a group of friends of his and the first thing the guy called david does is give me a pat on the back and says: I can tell you lift just by the way present yourself / hold yourself (not perfect translation but close enough)

This little comment at the beginning of the night made me immensely happy yo haha

kmay 08-17-2014 02:37 PM

yea people are starting to notice that i work out finally. feels great

lurker 08-27-2014 07:19 PM

i let myself veg the fuck out during college for no good reason so i picked up a lifting routine as soon as i got out
i did 3 sets of 5 squats with my bodyweight (180) today, felt p good

NorthStrong 08-28-2014 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lurker (Post 4189835)
i let myself veg the fuck out during college for no good reason so i picked up a lifting routine as soon as i got out
i did 3 sets of 5 squats with my bodyweight (180) today, felt p good

You doing starting strength? Guessing so from the 3x5 squats. Good work. always nice to hit a bodyweight multiplier milestone! On to 2 plate man. Keep it up.

lurker 08-28-2014 11:26 AM

yep, that's exactly what i'm doing

SCWolf 08-29-2014 12:32 AM

So Sam did this today

Reach 08-29-2014 09:44 AM

After doing exclusively paused bench for 2+ months now, holy shit progress.

Up to 225 x 6 paused. Tried TnG last night and hit 245 x 8. Massive PR for me. About doubled my reps @ 245 in that time.

Squatting I'm up to 300 x 6 high bar deep. Going well, still progressing slowly. Lift hasn't plateaued at all but I don't want to push it too fast.

Also, nice squat sam :o

SCWolf 09-5-2014 11:24 PM

So I'm nearing the end of my cut. While I don't really have a "before" picture, I do have a comparison of about last month and yesterday.

Much more successful with this cut than my last. This was more of an actual cut.

Shouka 09-7-2014 04:56 PM

How much do you weigh now?

Arch0wl 09-8-2014 04:07 PM

Up to 270lb for 8 reps on squats (predicted max 335lb)

My squat progress has been ridiculous. It's definitely the lift I'm most genetically predisposed to gain on. Which sucks in some respects; I'd like to be this strong on bench, because bench is by far the biggest dick measurer. Being predisposed to make squat gains is great in other respects though, since it adds so much to your powerlifting total.

Arch0wl 09-8-2014 10:46 PM

315x5 fuck yeah

Kraezymann 09-9-2014 10:33 AM

Jesus that makes me jealous. Maybe I'm just not doing it enough.

New goal - go more than twice a week

Arch0wl 09-9-2014 02:29 PM

do 3x/week and do squats/bench every session. rest 1-5 minutes between sets, leave a few reps "in the tank" every set.

my preferred core lifts are bench, squat, and bent over rows. I prefer bent over rows to deadlifts because squats already work lower back a lot, and bent over rows work most of the muscles that squats don't.

also I don't know if you're the type that does this, but just in case don't pussy out and focus on cardio. everyone does this because weight rooms are so obviously hierarchical in the sense that it's immediately clear when someone is ahead of you, and this causes people to avoid lifting all together so that they can't be bothered by people who lift more than they do.

if you do a bro split you probably are working chest maybe once a week. with this style of workout you work chest 3x/week.

Kraezymann 09-9-2014 03:59 PM

No, since I've been going I've been focusing less on cardio and more on weights, so I've got that part figured out (not that it's removed entirely). I should be learning more kinds of lifts and exercises though. Ultimately I'd like to find someone to go with, to show me a lot of these properly.

Arch0wl 09-9-2014 06:54 PM

A lot of us did this with no help either, so I definitely understand. Fortunately you live in a time with a wealth of YouTube videos to show you form. You could even pick up the NSCA's exercise manual for resistance training if you were so inclined -- it's extraordinarily step-by-step.

NorthStrong 09-10-2014 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kraezymann (Post 4197034)
No, since I've been going I've been focusing less on cardio and more on weights, so I've got that part figured out (not that it's removed entirely). I should be learning more kinds of lifts and exercises though. Ultimately I'd like to find someone to go with, to show me a lot of these properly.

Pick up a copy of Starting Strength, 3rd edition. Lots of great information in there. The only thing that I disagree with is the squat technique but honestly technique just improves as you get stronger, because when you are a beginner you are too weak to hold yourself in certain positions, etc.

Kraezymann 09-11-2014 07:32 AM

Awesome. Thanks for the tips guys. Hopefully I'll be able to post some ascending numbers in here soon!

Arch0wl 09-11-2014 12:58 PM

Strength Training by the NSCA is also great

SCWolf 09-14-2014 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shouka (Post 4195539)
How much do you weigh now?

Shouka 09-14-2014 06:02 PM

That's ridiculous. We are the same height and I'm not even close to 150. I've lost 10lbs in the last 4 weeks just to get to 167.

Arch0wl 09-15-2014 12:26 AM

290x8 squat

Shouka 09-16-2014 01:52 PM

175x2 barbell overhead press followed by 145x8.

I weigh 167lbs.

NorthStrong 09-16-2014 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shouka (Post 4201566)
175x2 barbell overhead press followed by 145x8.

I weigh 167lbs.

Very strong pressing man. I miss doing overhead work.

I haven't hit anything half decent numbers wise lately.

370x3 / 230x3 / 360x3 S/B/D last Friday, all really easy. Starting this programming phase kinda light, gonna keep jumping up 5lbs per week on my triples until I hit a double, then I'll add 2.5 per week until I hit a single, then keep adding 1lb per week.

Shouka 10-7-2014 10:58 AM

I attempted a 1 rep max at 185lbs for the overhead press today and failed =(

However, I was able to do 155lbs for 7 reps afterwards. The one rep max calculator has failed me.

Reach 10-7-2014 02:49 PM

Damn dude, strong as hell for your weight.

My OHP is almost identical and I'm like 195 right now. Was about 160x8 last time I tried it.

MosaicMan3 10-10-2014 11:10 PM

I got a new Bench PR. 240lbs x 3 reps with a ~3 second pause at the bottom. Getting ready for my next meet <3

SCWolf 10-11-2014 12:01 AM

What's your current bodyweight? Good work on the bench btw.

MosaicMan3 10-11-2014 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCWolf (Post 4215186)
What's your current bodyweight? Good work on the bench btw.

~154lbs I try to stay low so I can just float into my 148lb weight class.

TWG Mega Man 10-16-2014 02:04 PM

My name is TWG Mega Man, almost done making posts so that I can play TWG properly, and I lift.

Rapta 10-20-2014 07:19 PM

Can almost lift 60 pounds, can do 1 rep with 30 pounds.

Reach 10-21-2014 02:34 PM

Care to expand on that? Exercise, etc? This is a thread for serious progress updates so let's not joke around.

I've been quiet lately because I've been busy, but making progress none the less. Deadlift deload has been going well and I'm getting back up to where I was before. Pulled 355 x5 for 3 sets last night and it felt like I was pulling air. I definitely have so much more in the tank, really hoping to keep pushing it into the high 300s so I can eventually hit 405x5.

MosaicMan3 10-21-2014 07:51 PM

Great work man! 355 for 5x3 is great work. Ever considered doing a 1rm?

.Gazelle. 10-21-2014 07:56 PM

hit 300 1rm for squat a couple days ago feelsgood.avi especially since i havent really been lifting because of football practice, up from 225 at the end of summer

SCWolf 10-21-2014 09:40 PM

good work! keep it up!

Reach 10-22-2014 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MosaicMan3 (Post 4220964)
Great work man! 355 for 5x3 is great work. Ever considered doing a 1rm?

I've only tried once, with probably insufficient warmup, and I got 425 if I recall correctly but almost shit a brick in the process.

Was pulling 365x5 prior to that.

Then I had a stint where someone said I should pull better conventional because of my body type so I switched to conventional for about a month, HATED it, even managed to pull some muscles lifting a pathetic 305, so I called it quits on deadlifts for about 2 months. Started again pulling sumo again and started extremely light at 275 and have been working up.

Should be able to smash that in the coming weeks. Hope I can get up to 385 before stalling out much.

MosaicMan3 10-22-2014 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MosaicMan3 (Post 4215103)
I got a new Bench PR. 240lbs x 3 reps with a ~3 second pause at the bottom. Getting ready for my next meet <3

245lbs x 3 reps ~2.5 sec pause. (I kept prematurely benching a cunt hair early.)

MosaicMan3 10-22-2014 09:54 PM

@Reach, do you have a video of your Sumo and a video of your Conventional. Also take a video of a hybrid stance too (becoming the most common these days amongst new powerlifters.)

I may be able to help you tweak your technique, my old dead lift coach passed on to me everything he knew, so I might be able to help.

Arch0wl 10-23-2014 01:59 AM

I am okay with sending you videos too as long as you don't show anyone

I am literally more okay with sending other people naked pics of myself than my deadlift videos lol

Reach 10-23-2014 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MosaicMan3 (Post 4221823)
@Reach, do you have a video of your Sumo and a video of your Conventional. Also take a video of a hybrid stance too (becoming the most common these days amongst new powerlifters.)

I may be able to help you tweak your technique, my old dead lift coach passed on to me everything he knew, so I might be able to help.

No, but I can take one next time I deadlift. Wouldn't mind some feedback, actually.

All I know is that the way I sumo is comfortable and my leverages feel 'right' and it doesn't when I conventional, but the way I deadlift probably isn't optimal either way.

fenril_ 11-2-2014 01:27 AM

intrigued to hear no one else is a fan of clean and snatches
or hyper gnarly bodyweight elastic bands

i don't like gyms.
last time i was at a gym (in brooklyn) this dude got mad bc i took a foam thing from the power rack to squat and he started shouting at me about weightlifting in prison and i was like slow yr roll homie
i don't like dealing with nyc gymrats nonono.

Reach 11-3-2014 09:32 PM

I've been so busy lately that my training has taken a bit of a backseat sadly. Trying to get back into things.

Up to 199 lbs, which is probably the heaviest I've ever been period. Decently lean though, so it's alright. Lifts are currently shit though at: Bench 250x5, Squat 310x5, Deadlift 360x5.

Squat still going up consistently though, so I'll be well over 315 soon I hope. Finally back to decent #s with good depth. Deadlift also going up despite shitty training.

No idea what the fuck happened to my bench. Life, I guess. It should go back up. Deloaded it.

MosaicMan3 11-4-2014 01:06 AM

Attempting 285lb competition bench tomorrow... wish me luck D:

kmay 11-4-2014 07:32 AM

I feel you there Reach. I am busy with school, but i'm starting to feel fat. So I think I decided after this test tonight I will be waking up earlier and getting to the gym before school.

IDK what my maxes are or any of that. I tend to go for push the weight until i can't anymore in the 5-10 range, lower end of that range being the last set which is also heavier. I have shitty wrists so I need to invest in some sort of supports but i'll worry about that down the line since they seem to have gotten better since i joined the gym.

Shouka 11-5-2014 08:48 AM

I haven't been to the gym in over 2 weeks. Been way too busy with school work =(

Kraezymann 11-21-2014 04:24 PM

I have a new limit on bench and deadlifts now, decided to go a little further today.

I am doing 3 sets of 5 bench at 110lbs now, up from 90. Adding the extra 20 came as a surprise, but it didn't hurt.

For my deadlifts I'm doing 5 sets of 3 and I broke 150lbs today! I am also thinking of going with someone to help me learn squats, so hopefully soon I'll have another set of numbers to post.

choof 12-1-2014 12:44 PM

does starting a diet count as progress

I think so