Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Critical Thinking (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   God. (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=69652)

Kilroy_x 06-10-2007 01:59 AM

Re: God.

Quote:

Originally Posted by devonin (Post 1584906)
The bible can be completely and utterly wrong and God can still exist, so proving that the bible is completely and utterly wrong does not allow you to conclude that God does not exist.

It proves the God of the bible cannot exist unless there is something drastically wrong with logic. Given the complete lack of a book to make statements about God; actually, since this type of analysis could be applied to any text on God, given the complete lack of verifiability of any statements on God, using God as the basis for anything, including morality, ceases to be coherent.

devonin 06-10-2007 02:02 AM

Yes Ted, that was the joke.

jewpinthethird 06-10-2007 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kilroy_x (Post 1584929)
It proves the God of the bible cannot exist unless there is something drastically wrong with logic. Given the complete lack of a book to make statements about God; actually, since this type of analysis could be applied to any text on God, given the complete lack of verifiability of any statements on God, using God as the basis for anything, including morality, ceases to be coherent.

Despite the fact that God doesn't exist doesn't render the wisdom of some of the world's greatest social philosophers and storytellers.

Kilroy_x 06-10-2007 10:34 AM

It does to an extent, but not entirely. There are parts of the Bible not related to God that are of questionable and reprehensible nature as well.

Also I suck at clicking what I mean to.

Aa_Doodaa 06-12-2007 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hayatewillown (Post 1568008)
There is in fact a God, and doesn't take intellect to figure that out just common sense.

That statement alone is completely arguable, and until you've made some sort of reasonable intelligent statement to make me think "Meh, I guess," instead of "Wow this guy needs to have some CT experience before posting," then I'll bother to read the rest.

Aa_Doodaa 06-12-2007 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kilroy_x (Post 1584929)
It proves the God of the bible cannot exist unless there is something drastically wrong with logic.

I love you, Kilroy.

Mr_Tumness 06-13-2007 10:54 AM

Lets all just say there is in fact a god, Where is he, what does he do, while more than half of the population taking god into their lives, i don't see any good come from it, if something good happens to you is it luck or is it god?, does anyone in fact know anything that there is a god?, that guy said that god told him everything he wrote in the bible, how do you know that guy isn't nuts it was how long ago?, This thread can bring out alot of arguing and disagreement on something people don't in fact even know about just some stories people tell you, well what if i were to say that the egg came before the chicken that could be and was Proved by sceince, but does sceince prove anything about god, does faith, does believing, does ANYTHING prove there is a god? if so, then i would like to see it.

Aa_Doodaa 06-13-2007 10:15 PM

There is good that comes from God. The people that believe in him to the point that, for them, there is no questioning Him, have an outlet. God. When ever they are faced with a problem, the turn to God, and regardless of whether there really is a god out there somewhere, they have practically brainwashed themselves into believing that God will help them through their problems.

It's really all a question of faith. There are those who choose to believe in God, and there are those who choose not to. It isn't really 'right,' so to speak, to argue about someone's religion. It is their belief and they have the right to believe in it.

Master_of_the_Faster 06-13-2007 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tumness (Post 1592210)
Lets all just say there is in fact a god, Where is he, what does he do, while more than half of the population taking god into their lives, i don't see any good come from it, if something good happens to you is it luck or is it god?, does anyone in fact know anything that there is a god?, that guy said that god told him everything he wrote in the bible, how do you know that guy isn't nuts it was how long ago?, This thread can bring out alot of arguing and disagreement on something people don't in fact even know about just some stories people tell you, well what if i were to say that the egg came before the chicken that could be and was Proved by sceince, but does sceince prove anything about god, does faith, does believing, does ANYTHING prove there is a god? if so, then i would like to see it.

Absolutely Nothing proves that there is a God with the evidence that we have (which we do indeed lack). I hate it when people take advantage of the lack of knowledge to manipulate others to have any "normal" standards against anyone's people's life, liberty, or property. I don't agree or disagree that there is any God, but I do have certain views that will never change. I will always honer that every person has the rights of life, liberty (not the liberty to unreasonably take away someone else's life, liberty, or property), and property. If this God is against all of this, I am against God. If there are more than one god, I will obey the ones that value life, liberty, or property, unless all of these gods are against being reasonable. If there is no god, then live with it! We still should have our rights of life, liberty, and property.

Orch_Dork 06-13-2007 10:31 PM

i know some people believe in god because it gives them something to live for.

Master_of_the_Faster 06-13-2007 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orch_Dork (Post 1593933)
i know some people believe in god because it gives them something to live for.

So are you saying that some people live for a God that might or might not be righteous? Don't get me wrong, I'm simply stating a possibility, but it's definatly a possibility. I know that a lot of people do the right thing and believe in what's righteous, but if this God doesn't exist or if God was evil, would people still have any faith? God can't be the only factor that drives a person to live for. After all, the idea of a God could not have existed in the human mind for ever.

~One~ 06-13-2007 10:40 PM

thinking of god is a retarded thing i mean come on there is no proof that some big huge chunk of elements formed by one thing of infinite wisdom and power? theres no such thing. and you little comparison to birds in a cage completely made no sense and was really stupid.
i hope you go to hell with me.

devonin 06-13-2007 10:50 PM

Argumentum Ad Ignoratium fallacy. -5 points. Second down.
Just because there is no proof -for- does not mean you can conclusively state that it does not exist.

~One~ 06-13-2007 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devonin (Post 1593975)
Argumentum Ad Ignoratium fallacy. -5 points. Second down.
Just because there is no proof -for- does not mean you can conclusively state that it does not exist.

and you cant say it does exist like billions of people do.

devonin 06-13-2007 11:37 PM

So...given the lack of conclusive proof on either side, neither side has the right to state with any kind of conclusivity that they are correct, no?

Mr_Tumness 06-13-2007 11:42 PM

what i would like to know is how time was created, because if there was a god then there would be time, but he can't create time if he's living because time already exists if he does, am i right?

devonin 06-13-2007 11:55 PM

Well, that makes a few assumptions (unprovable naturally) about the nature of God and the cosmos.

If this universe is one of many, then a being can come from outside it and thus not be effected by our issues of time and causality, but hey, can't prove either way, so it is all supposition.

Mr_Tumness 06-14-2007 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L[][]K (Post 1593290)
Oh my god man! I'm very, very sorry to hear this. I'll keep her, you, and your family in my prayers. Just put your trust in Jesus, ask him, and he will help.

This guy believes in god, jesus. but other people don't think this was such as me....

I don't know why i JUST did that, i look like a retard posting this

devonin 06-14-2007 12:30 PM

I've always been interested in the psychological basis for prayer.

I mean, properly devout christians generally ought to be of the impression that God gave free will to humanity to do with what they please, and that for God to directly interfere in the acts of man would be to subordinate our free will to Him, and yet they are constantly praying asking for intercession, for direct effecting of the world...

As famously defined in the Devil's Dictionary by Ambrose Bierce:

Pray (Verb): To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled on behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy.

Master_of_the_Faster 06-14-2007 03:56 PM

If that was the case that there was a Christian God and that praying for his help to directly was useless, wouldn't the only reasonable time for prayer be during a funeral considering the person who died would be in the hands of the god? I would to think that any other prayers would be time consuming and useless for the advancement of humans. The only reason that I would see to pray is to increase your own self-esteem, but that's about it.