Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Why Mainstream Sucks (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=130343)

reuben_tate 05-28-2013 08:14 PM

Re: Why Mainstream Sucks

I wouldn't call My Little Pony mainstream. If anything, I swear it seems like so many people are in the fandom just so they can appear to be different from everybody else (the exact opposite of mainstream). They notice the niche or sub-culture is large enough where they can still feel accepted by a large community of people thus it's more convincing to join the fandom. If anything, the mlp fandom is the mainstream with respect to all the people trying not to be mainstream.

Dj_Ossa 05-28-2013 08:24 PM

I just spent 30 bucks today and I haven't even left my house yet.

HIPSTER

dballin4 05-28-2013 08:27 PM

I've been that guy that throws Gangnam Style on the jukebox at the bar because sometimes it's just fun to dance to some silly shit. I also spend a lot of time listening to music most people haven't heard of, but I don't throw it down their throats because it's not ultra popular radio genre. I like to think I get a pretty healthy mix in there.

04im 05-28-2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dj_Ossa (Post 3913303)
I just spent 30 bucks today and I haven't even left my house yet.

HIPSTER

#realswag

Cavernio 05-28-2013 09:18 PM

I remember hearing in some university class about people showing more enjoyment of things when they feel like they should enjoy, compared to when there's an outside reason for doing that same thing. It's not too far a stretch to generalize those studies to the art people enjoy, for example, what music someone listens to. Someone might actually enjoy listening to mainstream music when there's a clear way to not listen to it, but for whatever reason they listen to it anyways. Eg: you're in the car with a friend who says you can change the radio station, but you choose to leave it on the mainstream station. But that same person, when they're forced to listen to that music station at work because that's what plays, they find they don't like the music. Theoretically this is all supposed to happen because people don't like being in a state of cognitive dissonance. So the person might not actually like the song on the radio when they're in the car with a friend, but because they don't consciously know why they didn't change the station, they trick themselves into liking the music more to support their choice of not changing the station.
As to what enjoyment is more real or true...who's to say.

SKG_Scintill 05-29-2013 02:49 AM

If it makes the papers or gets on national television, it's mainstream
MLP made the news, it possibly made the papers, not sure; it's mainstream

UserNameGoesHere 05-29-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKG_Scintill (Post 3913610)
If it makes the papers or gets on national television, it's mainstream
MLP made the news, it possibly made the papers, not sure; it's mainstream

I wouldn't say so.

Shootings make the papers and the news all the time. Does that mean it's mainstream to shoot people? Should I worry that every little Jimmy down the block is going to pull out a "piece" and start shooting people? I don't think so.

There's a big difference between mainstream knowledge that something exists and mainstream acceptance of it. I'm pretty sure someone who went around randomly killing people wouldn't be considered mainstream.

I don't consider MLP to be mainstream. I don't consider subcultures to be mainstream because if it were mainstream it wouldn't be a subculture -- it would just be "normal". Just because people know a subculture exists doesn't make that subculture mainstream. Is being Amish mainstream? People know they exist and have some general ideas about them. :-P

--------------------

Also, ever notice how it's not uncommon for once good products or franchises to turn to crap? Most likely that's the mainstream process in action. Initially, the original popular whatever was created via some artistic vision. Once it was seen to do well enough, and gained enough popularity, it went mainstream, and then the creators were hindered in what they could do to "keep it mainstream". You then ended up with a stilted product, not uncommonly a "jumped the shark", and it just wasn't any good anymore.

Popularity isn't exactly the same thing as mainstream but there is high correlation. Provided an original creator can somehow maintain artistic/creative vision/integrity it's possible to end up with a popular product that hasn't fallen to the snares of the mainstream process. But more often than not it happens at some point. Hence the phrase "selling out".

G.S.M 05-29-2013 01:01 PM

ponies and men = no

simple

dAnceguy117 05-29-2013 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G.S.M (Post 3913742)
ponies and men = no

simple

Heteronormativity is the worst possible justification for insulting others over which TV shows they choose to watch. Think harder next time.

A2P 05-29-2013 01:28 PM

I still can't believe this thread actually exists

04im 05-29-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UserNameGoesHere (Post 3913737)

I don't consider MLP to be mainstream. I don't consider subcultures to be mainstream because if it were mainstream it wouldn't be a subculture -- it would just be "normal". Just because people know a subculture exists doesn't make that subculture mainstream. Is being Amish mainstream? People know they exist and have some general ideas about them. :-P

dude my little pony is on fucking cartoon network
that's mainstream
idk why you're trying to somehow single out some other mainstream stuff while defending mlp as some kinda unique niche of creative awesome people

Pseudo Enigma 05-29-2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UserNameGoesHere (Post 3913737)
Shootings make the papers and the news all the time. Does that mean it's mainstream to shoot people? Should I worry that every little Jimmy down the block is going to pull out a "piece" and start shooting people? I don't think so.

Breathing oxygen is too mainstream, stop breathing. Honestly, this whole "I can't stand mainstream shit" is actually just really annoying in general. You can't avoid doing mainstream stuff. Ya gotta just weave in and out and find a balance, kinda like yin/yang.

edit: And the people complaining about pony stuff all like shit that's fucking annoying to other people too. I like Animu too much and that offends most people. Others just like the wrong genre of music and that immediately offends other people. Hell, even being the wrong religion is enough to offend too many people.

Conclusion: stop giving a fuck and move on.

UserNameGoesHere 05-29-2013 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04im (Post 3913756)
dude my little pony is on fucking cartoon network
that's mainstream
idk why you're trying to somehow single out some other mainstream stuff while defending mlp as some kinda unique niche of creative awesome people

1) That'd be the hub, not cartoon network. If you're going to spout "facts" at least get it right.

2) Even if the show is/was mainstream, would that make the fandom mainstream when it's completely different from the initial target audience and generally isn't accepted by the mainstream media?

3) I'm not the one who turned this thread (or others, for that matter) into pony discussion. If you want to argue valid points, fine, but don't blame me for this crap. It's so funny how all you anti-pony people get so worked up about OMG PONIES EVERYWHERE but yet you're the ones who start the pony discussion in the first place. Don't like it? Don't bring it up.

Sidenote: Yeah, I do think the MLP fandom has some creative awesome people behind it. So what? Jealous much? Otherwise why keep bringing it up?

.Gazelle. 05-29-2013 05:01 PM

is this fucking real life?

j-rodd123 05-29-2013 05:04 PM

I love mainstream stuff, and I wear hollister

04im 05-29-2013 05:05 PM

holy shit this is your photo on ffr

i dont even know if you're a master troll or you're actually one of those stereotypical fedora-wearing bronies

holy shit ive never seen one before until now

u look ok and then i realize ur wearing a fedora while defending my little pony as a show with lots of 'creative awesome fans'

and here's an associated press interview meaning u guys r p. mainstreaMime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vrvRh0H4Nw#t=0m50s

here is ur kind

04im 05-29-2013 05:07 PM

people like u make other my little pony watchers look bad sry

UserNameGoesHere 05-29-2013 05:25 PM

You dislike ponies...aaand yet you're still talking about ponies?

And yeah part of it is for the lols, in case you haven't figured it out yet. Believe it or not *GASP* many MLP fans are in it for the humorous apsects. It's not near as "serious" a fandom as many outside it would believe. Am I to assume that a large number of people simply lack a sense of humor? because that's what it's looking like.

Don't you think it's a bit ridiculous? Of course it is! That's what makes it so hilarious -- if you had a sense of humor, that is.

But I mean if you want to keep talking about ponies, go right ahead. Just remember I'm neither the one who brought this up nor the one who continues to complain about ponies. Your call.

Pseudo Enigma 05-29-2013 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UserNameGoesHere (Post 3913847)
It's not near as "serious" a fandom as many outside it would believe.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/wingboner-clopping

your turn

04im 05-29-2013 05:35 PM

just cause i dislike mlp's weird side of fandom doesnt mean i cant talk about it

nice logic dude