Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   FFR General Talk (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   The Official FFR Picture Dictionary (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=115282)

Sztuka 12-24-2010 12:38 PM

Re: The Official FFR Picture Dictionary

ac and and arrow up and right

running man and wall is the best

ghost- 01-10-2011 01:11 AM

damn son you dun good rusheh

looks like we're more modern, now that you used gifs for the first time! :D

rushyrulz 01-10-2011 01:42 AM

Thanks, I was shooting for modern. ;)

Strikingvipr 01-20-2011 11:56 AM

I like how on the tight rolls gif you miss everything, shows how fun those are :)

Niala 01-24-2011 11:26 AM

Jumpjacks?
But nice thread, good explanations. :3

ninjaKIWI 02-4-2011 06:57 PM

I disagree on this use of Jumptrills. Jumstream isn't a stream consisting completely of jumps, that would just be (timing here)-jumps, like sixteenth jumps, it's stream with jumps within it. Therefore to me, jumptrills are trills with jumps within the trill.

rushyrulz 02-4-2011 07:23 PM

Jumptrills are most definitely trills between 2 jumps.
Jumpstream is most definitely stream with jumps in it.

Not even up for discussion.

ddrxero64 02-4-2011 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjaKIWI (Post 3411773)
I disagree on this use of Jumptrills. Jumstream isn't a stream consisting completely of jumps, that would just be (timing here)-jumps, like sixteenth jumps, it's stream with jumps within it. Therefore to me, jumptrills are trills with jumps within the trill.

Haha, I agree with this. It's a skill people learn nonetheless, whether it's logical or not, it's a solid part of songs now. You can't expect to get rid of it.

potter_rocks_out_loud 02-4-2011 10:53 PM

Wall: Cluster**** of arrows. XD Epic

rushyrulz 02-4-2011 10:57 PM

There's no actual name for a stream of jumps like in Piano Etude (Gymnastics) or a trill with jumps in it like in K8107.

LJRoX 02-4-2011 11:55 PM

How about jumpcluster as a name? or Clusterjump..

rushyrulz 02-5-2011 12:38 AM

I've been calling them jumpgluts

cedolad 02-5-2011 12:44 AM

Gonna have to disagree with the triplets one. Only because the rhythm for a triplet is completely different rhythm than the one posted. The rhythm you put is

1e&, 2e&. (if you know music)

Triplets are 3 notes stretched over a beat (or 2 depending on note lengths etc.) in 3's.

So I think the correct name would be Triple.

edit: you also forgot chains.

MrPoptart 02-5-2011 12:56 AM

I haven't seen this since before you updated it. Nice overhaul, looks a lot more organized, however, you might want to rerecord all the gifs with max combo and accuracy off =P
nj Rushy.

Vampeel 02-5-2011 05:10 AM

A long while back I picked up a technique, I believe from Shashakiro, that involved screen shrinking with my browser, but I definitely want to say he had a more specific name for it. I basically shrink my browser window down, line it up with the game itself on either side, and cut the screen in half horizontally. I began to play a lot better for it than I did normally.

Anyone know what he called that?

ddrxero64 02-5-2011 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cedolad (Post 3411930)
Gonna have to disagree with the triplets one. Only because the rhythm for a triplet is completely different rhythm than the one posted. The rhythm you put is

1e&, 2e&. (if you know music)

Triplets are 3 notes stretched over a beat (or 2 depending on note lengths etc.) in 3's.

So I think the correct name would be Triple.

I would agree, but reading music and labeling stepmania patterns are two different things in my opinion. You don't call alternating notes in music trills, and you don't call a continuous roll of three notes arpeggio. I think triplets are fine, as they are a more notable pattern in stepmania, versus 12ths.

Edit: I looked up arpeggio in wikipedia to make sure I was using the correct term, and I found this bit at the end. It's pretty interesting. Kommisar?
Quote:

In early video game music, arpeggios were often the only way to play a chord since sound hardware usually had a very limited number of oscillators, or voices. Instead of tying them all up to play one chord, one channel could be used to play an arpeggio, leaving the rest for drums, bass, or sound effects. Examples include the music of games and demos on Commodore 64's SID chip which only had three oscillators, see also Chiptune.

cedolad 02-9-2011 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddrxero64 (Post 3412280)
I would agree, but reading music and labeling stepmania patterns are two different things in my opinion. You don't call alternating notes in music trills, and you don't call a continuous roll of three notes arpeggio. I think triplets are fine, as they are a more notable pattern in stepmania, versus 12ths.

Edit: I looked up arpeggio in wikipedia to make sure I was using the correct term, and I found this bit at the end. It's pretty interesting. Kommisar?

Actually in most music alternating notes is a trill :p

But I see your point now.

rushyrulz 02-9-2011 10:37 PM

While these terms might not be musically correct, they are the common names of the patterns when it comes to FFR/SM terminology.

@Poptart: I can't rerecord with combo and masking off because my engine doesn't have that option.

@cedo: Chains are the first pattern.

@Vampeel: Screencutting.

qqwref 02-10-2011 12:53 AM

It makes more sense in FFR for "triplet" to mean a xxx.xxx.xxx. 16th pattern, compared to a solid 12th pattern. because that latter one would just be described as "12th notes" or "12ths" and so we don't need another name for it.

I think "jumpglut" is a great name for a group of jumps which intersect (i.e. form jacks) at some points. So this would describe certain hard parts in Across Rooftops, Black Key Etude, Death Piano, and Piano Etude (Gymnastics).

I suggest adding "grace note" (any better names?) for a note with a differently colored note very close to it, such as a 4th with a 48th immediately after. It's similar to a gallop, but so fast that you wouldn't want to hit the notes separately.

bmah 02-10-2011 12:58 AM

Yeah, I'd think grace note is a good descriptor, as it is for music in general.