Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   So I went to church tonight.... (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=101177)

Kynosaur 10-9-2008 02:21 AM

Re: So I went to church tonight....

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanisadouche (Post 2833781)
suicide bomber attacks

Just to remind you, this thread is about Christianity. Actually not even that, it's simply about church.

I was encouraged, but not forced, to go to church when I was very young. I went along with it, it was ok, I had friends there, I believed in God etc etc, but that all stopped for some reason. I never stopped having a smidgeon of faith in God but it didn't go anywhere. Then my mum suggested we started going again, but I didn't enjoy it. We moved to a different church which was ok for a bit, but I didn't really like it there either. She still goes to this day, but I took well over a year to find a church that was suited to my views and practices.

To sum it all up, not every Christian is the best example of Christianity.

Xx{Midnight}xX 10-9-2008 02:21 AM

I for one don't believe in God period. But to those whom do I respect that you are going along with your lives as you wish to do so. Before I stop bealieveing I went to a lutheren church and it was moderatly entertaining. We have one heck of a piano player and choior that I respect dearly because I grew up knowing a lot of them. Then my Granda would take us out for lunch and then I would go home.

BTW: We need more threads to flow like this one with these kind of questions.

iceefudgesickle 10-9-2008 02:29 AM

But you see Izzy, that diagram only shows the different denominations of churches; the principle of Occam's Razor is that the explanation of a phenomenon should make as few assumptions as possible. I don't see how the different kind of denominations make any kind of impact on the explanation of how God created the universe.

Grandiagod 10-9-2008 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iceefudgesickle (Post 2833991)
Anyways, there isn't any solid evidence, any conclusive yes-or-no truth out there that can confirm whether Christianity is true or not, but the same can be said about everything that tries to explain the existence of life, such as evolution.

Did you just say there's no solid evidence for evolution?

BOOKS? DO YOU READ THEM?

Kynosaur 10-9-2008 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grandiagod (Post 2834005)
Did you just say there's no solid evidence for evolution?

BOOKS? DO YOU READ THEM?

BOOKS? DO YOU BELIEVE THEM?

Are you saying you will believe every word you read in a book, a newspaper, an article posted on the internet, etc. But if the Bible says it, you immediately pounce and start questioning it?

championanwar 10-9-2008 04:45 AM

It's everyones opinion. Nobody can prove anything.
Evolution is a theory. It is your choice whether you believe it or not.

Professor Raine 10-9-2008 07:24 AM

I remember going to Church so I can have a hot meal and sleep under a roof o wait I was homeless back then before my ******ory. :<
I met some really nice Jews that whoop my ass at Battleship though. >>;

Afrobean 10-9-2008 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grandiagod (Post 2833983)
You're partially wrong.

If they're arguing about the correctness of a certain religion yes. If they're arguing about the factuality of religion than the person saying it is false is the winner, it's just futile argument after that.

If it's a debate about the nature of religion (ie. is it good or bad, does it help the world or is it a liability, is it based on fear and indoctrination or a free will belief system) then legitimate debate can be had

That's right, but take a look at what most of these folks are saying. They're not debating the value or effect of religion in society, they're going "omg god is a lie lol" and "wtf no way gtfo ***".

Quote:

Originally Posted by iceefudgesickle (Post 2833991)
When was there a suicide bomber for Christianity? You realize that the terrorists in the Middle East are islamic extremists, right?

Christians have done plenty of terrible things. Don't pretend that they didn't because I'm sure a quick search of things like "inquisition" or "crusade" could set you straight, to say nothing of modern atrocities like child molestation.

Quote:

I don't quite understand how you can with all good conscience say "Religion is a scam, especially Christianity", when Scientology exists.
What does this mean? Scientology is perhaps the scammiest of all religions, but all organized religion has a bit of the features which one might attribute to being a scam. Things like being promised a prize of some kind for giving the organization a good or service. Things like asking for money and not giving any good or service in return. Another thing that people are easily displeased over is that if this life isn't the real life, then why have value in it, and thus, why should a person feel obligated to pay for religious materials or give money to religious organizations.

Quote:

Anyways, there isn't any solid evidence, any conclusive yes-or-no truth out there that can confirm whether Christianity is true or not, but the same can be said about everything that tries to explain the existence of life, such as evolution.
No. Science has verified that evolution is real to as much degree as anything such as that can be considered proven. For example, by similar rights, gravity and basic physical laws are essentially proven, yet not technically.

In other words, on the question of evolution, there is an answer, and that answer is "yes". This alone doesn't mean religion is false, it just means that you may need to change interpretations to accommodate fact into your belief system.

Quote:

There is evidence against evolution and evidence for it.
I am really considering just calling you stupid at this point. To hear you say that really makes me not even want to show a bit of respect towards you. Please, O mighty knower of knowings, tell me this "evidence" against evolution.

Quote:

Same with Christianity.
Please, point me to something that is evidence that the fantastical elements appearing in the Christian bible are fact. And also, take notice that you cannot use the Bible itself as evidence of the Bible's proof. Not only would that be monumentally stupid, but that again is one of the fallacies identified in the link from earlier in the thread.

Quote:

The problem is that people always ignore the evidence on the other side because with topics such as politics and religion, people don't like to turn from their opinions.
No, people have a fundamental problem with people not looking at things logically and basing their actions on feelings that often go against logic.

Quote:

I'm Christian because it gives me something to hope for in my life, and because it just seems like it was the way it happened
Having hope doesn't make something true. This is a logical fallacy, and in fact, this fallacy is detailed in the thread linked to earlier in this thread.

Quote:

... like how the Bible fits so perfectly together and all that, it doesn't seem like humans could fake their way through something like the Bible.
You are seriously underestimating human creativity. There are thousands of years of Star Wars expanded universe history. It is most definitely all fictional. However, based on the concept that because it would be difficult to "fake", does that mean it must be true?

Quote:

It also makes sense to me - just saying that some explosion happened and that created the planets makes even less sense then that a God showed up out of nothing and created everything.
It's not that matter just appeared out of nowhere and exploded and "created planets". Furthermore, if you can think it is reasonable to believe God has simply always existed, why can't you also think it reasonable to believe that the matter in the Universe has also simply always existed? You think it is more reasonable to believe God magicked the matter out of "thin air"?

Both sides of this make the assumption that it is possible for something to have always existed. One side identifies this as matter, and matter is something which is known to be constant in our everyday life. The other side identifies God, an entity which is not even known to truly exist, and if he is real, he most certainly exists on some other plain of reality that is unmeasurable from this plain.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kynosaur (Post 2834014)
BOOKS? DO YOU BELIEVE THEM?

Are you saying you will believe every word you read in a book, a newspaper, an article posted on the internet, etc. But if the Bible says it, you immediately pounce and start questioning it?

The scientific community is entirely more likely to be truthful than a book compiled of ancient Jewish writings and more "modern" Christian writings of only about 2000 years old. Furthermore, the authors of the Bible are largely unknown, while scientific principles are put forth in respected publications and the sources are clearly identified.

Quote:

Originally Posted by championanwar (Post 2834030)
Evolution is a theory. It is your choice whether you believe it or not.

It is a theory like special relativity is a theory.

Some of you guys don't understand the difference between a simple theory and a scientific one. Please, you guys, read the wikipedia article and stop proving your ignorance. Here's a short section that especially relates to this as I am referring to it:

"For the scientist, "theory" is not in any way an antonym of "fact". For example, it is a fact that an apple dropped on earth has been observed to fall towards the center of the planet, and the theories commonly used to describe and explain this behavior are Newton's theory of universal gravitation (see also gravitation), and the general theory of relativity."

robertsona 10-9-2008 08:11 AM

LMFAO

DossarLX ODI 10-9-2008 08:17 AM

Well, heaven is said to be an immaterial world. But I don't think people go to heaven or hell when they die, they just rot and time goes on. (Although that sounds harsh, that's the reality of it.)

Plus, I think religion is something that should have never been invented because earlier at the time of Martin Luther, the Pope would sell indulgences that would "make people go to heaven." But obviously Martin Luther knew this was ridiculous and had to rebel with his 95 theses. The fact that the church was dishonestly trying to convince people to pay money for something that didn't even do anything shows that religion is really useless (in my opinion.)

And another thing, religions also caused very horrible events (like the Holocaust for example.) Since the Nazis believe they would purify their religion by annihilating all Jewish people on site, that excuse caused the death of a LOT of innocent people. Plus, even if a Jew did kill the christian god, do you think ALL Jews did that?

EAGAMES 10-9-2008 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grandiagod (Post 2833948)
Okay i seriously can't let this pass without RAGING, and i might submit this to fstdt for the hell of it

seriously google man

http://www.infidels.org/library/mode...istencies.html

Please, I'm not trying to boast, but I study the bible from my own part, and I can safely say that it does not contradict itself. Also, you're link says,
Quote:

IMPORTANT: Please keep in mind that by "inconsistencies" I do not necessarily mean "contradictions."

The bible is consistent with it's meaning, it's just being interpreted wrong. You have to take into account which profet wrote what, when, and to whom the message was directed, and why it was directed to them. Lets take for example this:

GE 2:15-17, 3:4-6 It is wrong to want to be able to tell good from evil.
HE 5:13-14 It is immature to be unable to tell good from evil.

Genesis never says that being able to tell good from evil is bad. Simply, Jehovah (God) put boundaries to the first human couple (I forget why).

Acts referrs to one being able to tell what's good and bad. Luke wrote this in Rome (31 B.C. - 61 C.E.), in order to continue the history of primitive christian faith in order to have the fundamentels for a congregations.

You guys don't dig deep at all. Just because you're against religions, doesn't mean you should be against the bible. Just because you're mad the bible doesn't mean you should read everything that talks against it and automatically accept it. Get your facts straight first.

Sorry, but that site is wrong. I see multiple of texts that are implied the wrong way. There are some that I can't say off the top of my head what they meant, which means researching them. I just used the one above as an example. Once again, investigate!

dore 10-9-2008 08:33 AM

yeah that site was pretty ****ty lol

Somebody has very biased critical reading skills.

kirjautunut 10-9-2008 08:36 AM

Everyone of you can see the sky above. If you are Christian, it's not bad. Everyone does what feels best. Christianity gives hope for some people, and they don't blame their selfs for the things they may have wrong. Someones doesn't believe in nothing, someones wants to be Christian, someones wants to believe in evolution, someones wants to destroy a whole world. What's the difference except that who wants to destroy a whole world? If people wants, then they believe. That's their own opinion and they can keep them for their selfs, it's different thing if guys wants to talk about it.
My opinion is more philosophical, than this Christian thing. But i still, there is nothing wrong in that. People doens't change that much if they are Christians or not.

Kynosaur 10-9-2008 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EAGAMES (Post 2834103)
Simply, Jehovah (God) put boundaries to the first human couple (I forget why).

Because they did the one thing He told them not to do. Therefore mankind lost direct "access" to God, which is why people nowadays find it so easy to dismiss the possibility of the existence of some higher being.

EAGAMES 10-9-2008 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dore (Post 2834105)
yeah that site was pretty ****ty lol

Somebody has very biased critical reading skills.

Hey baby! <3

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kynosaur (Post 2834107)
Because they did the one thing He told them not to do. Therefore mankind lost direct "access" to God, which is why people nowadays find it so easy to dismiss the possibility of the existence of some higher being.

No, I forget why he put boundaries to the human couple, but you're right. I'll find out later just in case. *Takes shower.*

Kynosaur 10-9-2008 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Afrobean (Post 2834094)
The scientific community is entirely more likely to be truthful than a book compiled of ancient Jewish writings and more "modern" Christian writings of only about 2000 years old.

It is entirely more likely for someone to compile, print and bind a dictionary than for a print shop to explode and for all the contents to fall back to earth as a printed, bound dictionary.

It is entirely more likely for someone to construct an orrery than for all the model planets, gears and motors to fly together and make a working orrery by themselves.

It is entirely more likely for a higher being to create the universe than for a spontaneous explosion of gases to cause everything and everyone to suddenly come into existence by itself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EAGAMES (Post 2834109)
No, I forget why he put boundaries to the human couple

That's what I was talking about.

kid_merkury 10-9-2008 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eastsideman09 (Post 2833734)
First time EVAR going on a Wednesday night, and the first time I've been since about 4th grade. Really not what I expected....

I didn't have to dress nice, there was PING-PONG and FOOSBALL, and they played real music. It was Christiany, and I don't consider myself "Christian", and I wasn't really feelin the music as much as others were, who were, for example, waving their arms in the air, pointing to the ceiling, and jumping in their overwhelming faith. Not a bad thing, but just something I wasn't as in to.

Afterwards, we watched a video that's in a series that I guess tries to clarify the Bible. This video was talking about getting into heaven and what it took to be a true Christian, etc....

Now, I didn't go to profess my Christianity. I, by no means, consider myself a Christian.... I think of myself as spiritual. I have my own beliefs, and I figured that going to church could possibly expand my horizons. It did. It made me think. I liked it. I liked it enough to share it with you guys :P

I guess I liked it really because the people there weren't judgemental or forceful. I really turned myself away from religion because of a personal experience years ago with people who were really just dicks about me not considering myself Christian and not going to church. It was a really good experience... not boring like I remembered church to be.

SO... uh, I guess.... uh.... What's church like for you guys? If you don't go, why don't you go?

I grew up being a "pk" (pastor's kid) - and my dad always taught me that we aren't supposed to judge. Nor are you supposed to be oppressive about sharing your faith. It sounds like you went to a youth group night, but they seem to have a good grasp on how to act, according to what you said.

Do you know what kind of church it was you went to recently, and what kind of church you went to when you had your bad experience?

-Merky

FaulkApsargs 10-9-2008 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanisadouche (Post 2833861)

If you ignore everything else i right, read this. I challenge one person to answer me the following loophole.

Okay so Christianity states that God loves us all, and that we will go to heaven if we only choose to believe. In fact thats the ONLY way to go to heaven, we MUST believe.

So what if 3 year old child is killed in an accident? Having not yet reached an age where he is capable of making the decision to believe in God or not, does this mean he goes to hell? He spends 3 insignificant years on earth and now he's going to burn in hell for more then 100000000000000000000 years? Infinitys pretty long.

More realisticly, what about people born across the globe, in third-world countries? Millions of these people simply will not have the chance to ever be exposed to christanity. Its not part of their inherent culture, many people simply don't know what it is. This means they're all going to hell? I thought God loved them? He didn't even give them a choice! They simply were not born under circumstances where Christanity was ever exposed to them, so how should they know better? This doesn't make them bad people.

An interesting theory i've heard is that there is one God, that goes by many names. Jesus, Buddha, Allah, just different languages and interpretations. I personally still don't believe it, but at least now there's some logic going on.

http://www.comparativereligion.com/neverheard.html

Also, I sigh at the amount of ignorance in this thread. If anyone cares for my two cents', I think a "god," if you will, does exist. Theories of the origin of the universe, specifically Hawking's (when the 1st and 2nd laws of thermodynamics are applied), even point to it. I can elaborate if anyone would like.

Afrobean 10-9-2008 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kynosaur (Post 2834107)

The world as it is causes these things to be illogical. It's not our fault if your god made the universe in such a way that a person thinking with only logic would come to believe that he doesn't exist.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kynosaur
It is entirely more likely for someone to compile, print and bind a dictionary than for a print shop to explode and for all the contents to fall back to earth as a printed, bound dictionary.

Don't try that **** on me. Regardless of the complications of things, the fact is that it exists. We know it exists, because here we are. Therefore, the small probability that would result in this naturally is irrelevant.

For example, a person might have a 1 in 1,000,000,000 chance of winning the lottery. But if you meet a person and they say "I won the lottery look at how much money I won", you can't say "NO YOU DIDN'T, DON'T YOU KNOW HOW UNLIKELY THAT IS?!"

Quote:

It is entirely more likely for a higher being to create the universe than for a spontaneous explosion of gases to cause everything and everyone to suddenly come into existence by itself.
It's not that there was an explosion and matter came into existence from nowhere. The idea is that all the matter of the Universe was once contained in an intensely small point. Something triggered an expansion (this is where you godfreaks can fill in your own answer, because we really don't know), and all of the matter spread out, wherein elements and compounds showed themselves. Over time, a very very long period of time, on a tiny little insignificant speck rock in an insignificant solar system in an insignificant galaxy, the elements fell into line and something happened (hi godfreaks) in just the right way and simple single cell organisms developed. These single celled life forms lived simply for a long period of time until they somehow (hi godfreaks) developed into multi-cellular organisms. Microevolution leads to macroevolution, eventually these orgasnisms reached outside the microscopic world. Over time, many different plants and animals branched off over a very long period of time. After a very long time, the animal life became so developed that they came up with what is now recognized as intelligence, potentially through microevolution thanks to differences in diet. Over time, these intelligent animals developed culture and standardized language.

So we are a success in this. But we are but a single instance of such a chance occurrence. Yes the chances of this success may be incredibly minimal, so by these same rights, there must certainly be failures across the Universe. In fact, we can look to our own solar system and see planets like ours who failed to develop life, even in the case of Mars that was potentially favorable to the process at one point. It is even potentially possible that the success we developed may be unique across the entire Universe.

ps again let me point out that I don't have a problem with beliefs and such as that. I only have a problem with people who deny SCIENCE. And FaulkApsargs, go ahead and elaborate- I'm always interested to hear more about holes in science where a Creator can fit in, even if I don't even believe in it myself.

Grandiagod 10-9-2008 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EAGAMES (Post 2834103)
Please, I'm not trying to boast, but I study the bible from my own part, and I can safely say that it does not contradict itself. Also, you're link says,

The bible is consistent with it's meaning, it's just being interpreted wrong. You have to take into account which profet wrote what, when, and to whom the message was directed, and why it was directed to them. Lets take for example this:

GE 2:15-17, 3:4-6 It is wrong to want to be able to tell good from evil.
HE 5:13-14 It is immature to be unable to tell good from evil.

Genesis never says that being able to tell good from evil is bad. Simply, Jehovah (God) put boundaries to the first human couple (I forget why).

Acts referrs to one being able to tell what's good and bad. Luke wrote this in Rome (31 B.C. - 61 C.E.), in order to continue the history of primitive christian faith in order to have the fundamentels for a congregations.

You guys don't dig deep at all. Just because you're against religions, doesn't mean you should be against the bible. Just because you're mad the bible doesn't mean you should read everything that talks against it and automatically accept it. Get your facts straight first.

Sorry, but that site is wrong. I see multiple of texts that are implied the wrong way. There are some that I can't say off the top of my head what they meant, which means researching them. I just used the one above as an example. Once again, investigate!

your one poor example (once again dying because eating fruit of knowledge = inconsistent with other verses)

How about actual verses that say contradicting things?

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/contra/by_name.html