Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Stepmania (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   The Etterna Project (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=145215)

Celirra 12-11-2016 10:41 PM

Re: The Etterna Project

CDTitle thing is well and good, but its nice to be able to see the text version name of the simfile author too, like was available in scwh. Especially good for new charters with a non obvious cdtitle.

MinaciousGrace 12-11-2016 10:49 PM

yeah i can do that, since i have to do something similar anyway in order to do search by simfile author

Kalre 12-12-2016 01:05 PM

Im having an issue after configuring my keys, i test them on Imput Test in the options, but in game they do not respond, i can select songs and settings but i canīt smash arrows, es i dumb ? Help :(

TyroneSama 12-12-2016 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalre (Post 4501886)
Im having an issue after configuring my keys, i test them on Imput Test in the options, but in game they do not respond, i can select songs and settings but i canīt smash arrows, es i dumb ? Help :(

Double-check that you bound the actual Left/Down/Up/Right inputs, and not MenuLeft/MenuRight/etc.

MinaciousGrace 12-12-2016 03:29 PM

what keys are you trying to bind

also update on feature shit - the more complex filter stuff won't make it to 0.52 (unless i finish the rl work shit i have to do way faster than i expect and also finish putting it in way faster than i expect)

i've added the pb tracker and after i fix a bug with it, it should be good to go; though i found it very confusing to use personally

i might still squeeze in artist search and simfile author shit but no promises

just a warning, xwidghet further increased framerate by like 50-75% so uhh if you guys start hitting early again pls dont hate me and maybe considering using the framerate cap and setting it to whatever you're comfortable at now

Quote:

Originally Posted by TyroneSama (Post 4501902)
Double-check that you bound the actual Left/Down/Up/Right inputs, and not MenuLeft/MenuRight/etc.

also this yeah

Kalre 12-13-2016 08:32 AM

Perfect, thanks !

One last thing, how do i set a profile picture ?

Dinglesberry 12-13-2016 10:09 AM

You need to first throw the avatars in the right folder, it's like save/userconfig or something.. I just find it by searching the sm folder for "_fallback.png", as that's the name of the default avatar.

Throw your avatars in that folder, then during song select press //, which lets you select an avatar from that folder.. Note that you have to select it with your binds, so if you askl or whatnot, you'd have to use a and l to select it... Also, I don't think there are any resolution limits, any picture should do

Kalre 12-13-2016 10:48 AM

Thanks ! pretty sure all of this is in the QA but :(, one last thing, how do i add more noteskins, seems like just dropping them on the noteskins folder doesnt work ? Something special i should do ? USWnote9SM5 is the one i want to use

Walrusizer 12-13-2016 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalre (Post 4502168)
Thanks ! pretty sure all of this is in the QA but :(, one last thing, how do i add more noteskins, seems like just dropping them on the noteskins folder doesnt work ? Something special i should do ? USWnote9SM5 is the one i want to use

you have to put them in the dance folder in the noteskins folder

Kalre 12-13-2016 02:36 PM

they are there

MinaciousGrace 12-14-2016 05:26 PM

0.52 update is out get it here https://github.com/xwidghet/stepmania/releases/tag/0.52

also you should probably read the release notes you know because they actually contain things that are probably interesting

0.53 will focus on fixing weird ui errors and smoothing out usability and hopefully catching and fixing some of the rarer crashes and shove the more memory/disk space intensive replay data stuff being tracked directly in the stats.xml to external files

assuming we accomplish this goal the next update after that will contain major overhauls and updates to the calc as well as the player rating/profile system, and if i have time, integrate a filter system (probably separate from search, such that it interacts with it but also persists throughout the session?)

don't expect that update until the middle of january at earliest, there is a lot of stuff that has to be written from scratch to make the system function as intended

also i have a couple RL projects that need my attention

@kalre I haven't heard of any issues with noteskins and that's not much to go on. Check that it's not a 5.1 noteskin.

once again if you are interested in helping out in any way I am doing a lot of this on my own in my spare time so I'd welcome even minor contributions

Flossy97 12-14-2016 06:18 PM

Were there changes to the calculator? Difficulties have changed, but I don't see anything about it in the release notes.

MinaciousGrace 12-14-2016 06:27 PM

i might have upped the nerf on rolls a little and forgot about it

i assume things haven't changed drastically?

if so i'll add it to release notes and worry about it later

edit: uhhUHHHHHHHHHHHH ok so some of the unfinished and untested modifiers snuck their way into the release lib earlier so im reverting them and reuploading installer

e: k its fixt

Kraezymann 12-15-2016 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace
Playing songs in edit mode no longer crashes the game.

THANK YOU SIR MAY I HAVE ANOTHER

Quote:

Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace
Added simfile author display based on standard credit convention to music display screen. If you release packs without abiding by standard convention, too bad.

YES

EDIT: Nevermind, it still crashes.

MinaciousGrace 12-15-2016 12:10 PM

both xwidg and i tested a few charts for crashes during edit mode without issue

can you send me the chart that crashed on skype, my guess is it's probably negative bpm stuff?

unfortunately the edit mode playback and the actual gameplay screen are not compartmentalized so basically a bunch of changes we make to the latter require constant checking with the former to make sure it still works =/

Celirra 12-15-2016 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace (Post 4502622)
once again if you are interested in helping out in any way I am doing a lot of this on my own in my spare time so I'd welcome even minor contributions

I'd be happy to help; shoot me a message with what you'd like a hand with if you'd like.

Celirra 12-15-2016 01:37 PM

Hey you spelt favourites wrong

Dinglesberry 12-15-2016 03:21 PM

Could it be possible to be able to press ctrl + <letterkeyhere> to filter songs that start with a certain letter again? Seems like its not working now, I miss that feature :/

It's not a big deal since you can just press 4 to start a search then type the letter anyways. I think also starting the song search by typing a letter (not needing to be in the search tab) would be good, could have issues though since you'd have keys bound to gameplay/moving through the menu, not sure how it would deal with that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Celirra
is there any way to change the AA tracker (the + x.xx next to combo) so that instead of being based off 93% wife, it's based off your best wife %?

Also, reading that, could it also be extended the opposite way, so you could set the AA tracker to 80% (A tracker)?

Nick012 12-15-2016 04:50 PM

@Dinglesberry I think it's intentional.
From file 'ScreenSelectMusic.cpp' function 'ScreenSelectMusic::Input' :

Quote:

// This is really more annoying than useful as well as obsoleted by song search
And the whole code for the ctrl+letter filtering was commented.

Flossy97 12-15-2016 05:16 PM

On the new update I get a weird glitch with the combo text when I use opengl, but it's fine on d3d. It's not really much of a problem, but it is kinda annoying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exEVO742rXk

I'd just use d3d but opengl runs quite a bit faster on my laptop

MinaciousGrace 12-15-2016 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick012 (Post 4502891)
@Dinglesberry I think it's intentional.
From file 'ScreenSelectMusic.cpp' function 'ScreenSelectMusic::Input' :

And the whole code for the ctrl+letter filtering was commented.

yes it's intentional, it also opens up a huge amount of premium hotkey realty for manipulating planned features

also yes the target tracker goal can be made modifiable

i mean it currently is if you do some hacky theme shit but i can make it less hacky to do it

PolygonEater 12-15-2016 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flossy97 (Post 4502895)
On the new update I get a weird glitch with the combo text when I use opengl, but it's fine on d3d. It's not really much of a problem, but it is kinda annoying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exEVO742rXk

I'd just use d3d but opengl runs quite a bit faster on my laptop

Odd that the glitch only occurs on combo text, but I've put in a fix that'll be in the next release. Interesting to hear that OpenGL runs faster for you, what GPU are you using?

Flossy97 12-15-2016 09:31 PM

GeForce GT 740M It's on this msi gaming laptop I got for Christmas a few years ago. It's really not great and I plan on getting a desktop at my earliest convience

Kraezymann 12-16-2016 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace (Post 4502765)
both xwidg and i tested a few charts for crashes during edit mode without issue

can you send me the chart that crashed on skype, my guess is it's probably negative bpm stuff?

unfortunately the edit mode playback and the actual gameplay screen are not compartmentalized so basically a bunch of changes we make to the latter require constant checking with the former to make sure it still works =/

It appears to be any song for me. I have tried 4 songs so far and after a couple seconds of playback it crashes.

Guess I'll have to use a different editor

LHB 12-16-2016 12:33 PM

Would there be any reason for these lag spikes? They appear to happen at fairly regular intervals as well.

MinaciousGrace 12-16-2016 01:12 PM

did that only start happening in the most recent update or has it always been like that, or do you not know?

what kind of specs do you have to be hitting only 500 fps with the given screen elements enabled?

also clearly there is a reason for the lag spikes, just there shouldn't be, that and i can't reproduce anything like that on my end

make sure your gfx card isn't getting temperature throttled, i would try capping your gameplay fps to 400 or using predictive rendering (or perhaps opengl)

@kraezy i've tried all sorts of stuff and i can't get the editor to crash send me a crash log

LHB 12-16-2016 03:01 PM

I believe I started having the issue around the time I switched from vanilla sm5 to Etterna. The strange thing is that after a while it fixes itself for some reason? I'm playing on a pretty low-quality laptop, but it has a 940M and it can play more intensive games than Stepmania just fine. I'll try fiddling with it some more and if it stops I'll try looking to see what changed.

Kalre 12-17-2016 12:12 AM

Is there any chance the installation of this could have broke my audio drivers or the overall audio quality of my comp ? I know it sounds dumb, but i can recall installing this the same day my audio when downhill, but its probably just a coincidence.

MinaciousGrace 12-17-2016 12:32 AM

it's extremely unlikely, even more so given that this is the first mention of any issue of this sort

if stepmania is the cause of the issue, again, it's probably not, it's a stepmania issue and not an etterna issue. none of the edits to the fork have gone anywhere near audio driver code

also editor crash bug has been fixed

Kalre 12-17-2016 11:49 AM

Man i have asked soo much dumb stuff lol, but here goes another one, i seem to be unable to switch to search songs by artist, name or any of the other options other than Group, reinstalled and it keeps working like that ? should i just stop tryng to use this wonderfull theme/mod :(

Obviously i know how this is usually done 1+4 but it just doesnt switch.

Flossy97 12-17-2016 05:36 PM

Are you searching correctly? To search by song artist you have to type artist= then the song artist, and for the stepper you have to type author= followed by the stepper you're searching for.

Ex: artist=terminal 11 would show songs by terminal 11
author=icyworld would show files stepped by icy

MinaciousGrace 12-17-2016 05:47 PM

bind to switch to search is just 4, not 1 + 4, alternatively you may click on the tab

lurker 12-17-2016 07:59 PM

yo mina please copy the file BGAnimations/_avatar.lua from scwh to the equivalent folder in til death, its absence causes errors (and eventually a crash) when playing online
edit: courtesy of a discord user

MinaciousGrace 12-17-2016 09:19 PM

yeah i picked up on it last night while watching icy

it'll get fixed along with a number of other things related to smo play that were brought up in stream tonight

MinaciousGrace 12-18-2016 06:12 PM

WATUP MY GLIPGLOPS

next release contains fixes and qol shit and general usability updates

IF YOU WANT YOUR SHIT TO BE FIXED OR ADDED YOU GOTTA SPAKE UP
i might be awesome but even my vision gets obscured by the many tubes of the internet

wip release notes forthwith:

**New Features**

* Added a session timer.
* Added lua accessible functions that, for scores with available replay data, can rescore to either DP or Wife scoring for any judge value. Want to see what your quad on doin the kirby is on justice? Now you can. Note: these are currently not displayed in the theme.

**Improvements**

* Gameplay screen elements will now translate in accordance with the center1p option. Miniprogress bar/target tracker etc will re-center themselves automatically, and the judgment counts/nps display/graph will swap themselves to display to the right rather than the left if gameplay is not centered. As with everything else, 2p support is not considered.
* Music select music length is now colored by the display value (playable time) and not by the audio file length.
* Music select music length is now scaled to the currently selected rate.
* Bpm display is now is now scaled to the currently selected rate.
* Number of loaded songs and favorited songs are now displayed on playerinfo
* General improvements to smo usability.
* "Continue holding start to quit" message during gameplay now requires the start button to be held for 0.2s before displaying.
* Improved the logic the musicselect screen uses to grab a "display score". May add theme preferences in the future to force certain sorting methods (probably not).
* Function that attempts to get simfile author will now use the credits tag as first priority. If you want to ensure your files are searchable, start using it.
* Target tracker goal can now be controlled via player options.
* Target tracker goal is now displayed in parenthesis after the differential for clarity.

**Fixes**

* Secondary editor crashing issue has been resolved.
* Fixed improper reference to playerinfo in smo music select screen.
* Invalid scores will no longer be selected for display scores at music select.

youngjii 12-19-2016 01:31 AM

Is frameskipping still something that's in the game? If so you should set the .ini to disable it by default.

meno_rocks123 12-19-2016 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace (Post 4504861)

Mina I found a bug for you. Tried playing Monkey Business (yolo2) and it kicks the sync off by a measure during the intro. Figured out it's because of a weird bpm acceleration in the song, but not sure how it's causing a sync issue. 10/10 reproduction rate.

I tested a few songs with stops and confirmed that stops do not cause the issue.

Will update if I find any other songs that have the same issue.

MinaciousGrace 12-19-2016 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meno_rocks123 (Post 4504929)
Mina I found a bug for you. Tried playing Monkey Business (yolo2) and it kicks the sync off by a measure during the intro. Figured out it's because of a weird bpm acceleration in the song, but not sure how it's causing a sync issue. 10/10 reproduction rate.

I tested a few songs with stops and confirmed that stops do not cause the issue.

Will update if I find any other songs that have the same issue.

ok so the root cause is due to the fact that cal used subbeats to place a 192nd note over a fairly large length of time, which produces the following bpms 20.000=2.222, 20.021=313.324,

the need for resolution on the order of 0.2% of a beat wasn't something we counted on when making some efficiency edits

i doubt you'll find another occurrence of this so it's not worth looking for

also i fixed it in like 2 minutes

Gruzzly_Bear 12-19-2016 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace (Post 4504861)

would it be possible to add a feature where you can play a certain part of the song, not the whole song? i think theres something similar in the editor but it would be pretty nice to have it integrated into the main selectmusic screen

MinaciousGrace 12-19-2016 06:22 AM

you can do that both in the editor and in practice mode

i've never used practice mode so i don't know how good or shit it is or isn't

it's probably not too hard to do some sort of isolation stuff like ffr has, i can do it eventually, but you've managed set a new lowest priority feature for development

TyroneSama 12-19-2016 10:30 AM

Things honestly seem pretty complete from my end. The only thing I could think to add is a way of adjusting receptor position in-game.

Nick012 12-19-2016 12:49 PM

I think i found a bug(Not sure if this is only happening on my end):
If i try to play online and i have only 1 profile, then I won't get a chance to pick a profile and I'll have to play in the machine/default profile(I first realized the issue because i had to change my options every single time i went online). Adding another profile fixes it and allows me to pick a profile but I don't think it's intended to work like that.

It'd also be nice to have a separate Evaluation Screen for when you're playing online(ScreenNetEvaluation or something) because you need to display other players scores(the ones you go through by pressing left/right). On that topic, Till Death's evaluation screen doesnt update to other people's results when you move through users when online. This can be "fixed" by editing some metrics values in ScreenEvaluation and adding another set of results(marvs/perfs/etc) somewhere in the screen which updates.

I think the tracker uses the default scoretype picked in the theme options. It'd be nice to be able to choose it in the ingame options separately from the default scoretype(Say, use Wife but still have the tracker work with regular DP).I think the "Progress Bar Location" option in Theme Options doesn't work for me(It's always on top). It'd also be nice to have an option to have it display total time and elapsed time on top of the progress bar.I'm loving both the theme and the SM build, it's quite an amazing work you've done!

MinaciousGrace 12-19-2016 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TyroneSama (Post 4504957)
Things honestly seem pretty complete from my end. The only thing I could think to add is a way of adjusting receptor position in-game.

i can do this, and you also reminded me that i wanted to hand over notefield x scale to player config, in-game or not, as well

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick012 (Post 4504968)
I think i found a bug(Not sure if this is only happening on my end):
If i try to play online and i have only 1 profile, then I won't get a chance to pick a profile and I'll have to play in the machine/default profile(I first realized the issue because i had to change my options every single time i went online). Adding another profile fixes it and allows me to pick a profile but I don't think it's intended to work like that.

It'd also be nice to have a separate Evaluation Screen for when you're playing online(ScreenNetEvaluation or something) because you need to display other players scores(the ones you go through by pressing left/right). On that topic, Till Death's evaluation screen doesnt update to other people's results when you move through users when online. This can be "fixed" by editing some metrics values in ScreenEvaluation and adding another set of results(marvs/perfs/etc) somewhere in the screen which updates.

I think the tracker uses the default scoretype picked in the theme options. It'd be nice to be able to choose it in the ingame options separately from the default scoretype(Say, use Wife but still have the tracker work with regular DP).I think the "Progress Bar Location" option in Theme Options doesn't work for me(It's always on top). It'd also be nice to have an option to have it display total time and elapsed time on top of the progress bar.I'm loving both the theme and the SM build, it's quite an amazing work you've done!

Afaik if you only have one profile, profile select gets skipped and that profile automatically gets selected, you should never end up on the machine profile during netplay. The default profile is just a pre-made profile like any other one you can make, you should be able to rename it (or dont) and have your settings saved, if not, then yes, there's a bug.

netplay is pretty low on the priority list but i can look at updating the eval screen

The scoretracker is hardcoded to wife in the new versions and will stay that way. DP will eventually (not yet) be phased out of the build. The calculator is based on wife scoring, the player ratings are based on the calculator. Other future planned implementations operate on the assumption that wife scoring is being considered. If you want to use dp/migs/exoni/pump trackers you can either script it back with lua or use something else. It is detrimental for the project to support antiquated scoring systems in the long term.

progress bar stuff i can fix

Nick012 12-19-2016 04:56 PM

I'm pretty sure what i mentioend regarding profiles is a bug that only happens when you go online. Scores don't save to your profile and your options are the default ones every time you go online if you have only 1 profile.

MinaciousGrace 12-19-2016 05:06 PM

yeah im looking into it now, my dev install has always had multiple profiles for testing so it slipped by me

lurker 12-19-2016 05:17 PM

there's a potential crash when switching playback devices in windows 7 but that may be an sm5 thing, i'm looking into it now
edit: it's an sm5 thing

choof 12-19-2016 05:29 PM

i haven't read patch notes yet but i'm hoping you nerfed the crash in sm editor so i can actually finish this dumb chart idea i've had for months

MinaciousGrace 12-19-2016 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choof (Post 4505014)
i haven't read patch notes yet but i'm hoping you nerfed the crash in sm editor so i can actually finish this dumb chart idea i've had for months

the current release fixed crashes for everything but freezes
the next release will have that fixed too

mwes 12-20-2016 03:30 PM

Regarding adjusting audio sync:
when i adjust my audio sync can other files be used to sync? it would be nice if i could sync to some simple JS patterns
I would also like to use my own speed/scroll direction when calibrating.

Gameplay:
i changed the location of the progress bar to the bottom in options but it is still in the top. Is it a bug?
It would be great if i could move the combo/judgement thing up or down ingame

Song selection:
When i press 1 or 3 or 4 the background is reloaded? each time, and that leads to some lagging.

Minor:
can the quotes be displayed? I chose to display the tips/quotes but it didnt appeared.
I need to use the dedicated keys to change the color config (DFJK) but not the arrow keys, it is a bit unintuitive.
The song length color is still dependent on the mp3 length and a 90sec chart with a 4 min mp3 will get a orange color.

Thank you for all the work mina

MinaciousGrace 12-20-2016 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mwes (Post 4505164)
Regarding adjusting audio sync:
when i adjust my audio sync can other files be used to sync? it would be nice if i could sync to some simple JS patterns
I would also like to use my own speed/scroll direction when calibrating.

i believe you can use your own file to sync by replacing the ScreenGameplaySyncMachine music.ssc file in themes/fallback/other however i have not tested this, speed/scroll direction might ultimately be a super pain in the ass

but you can autosync machine during the actual gameplay by hitting f6 twice which basically does what you want already

Quote:

i changed the location of the progress bar to the bottom in options but it is still in the top. Is it a bug?
It would be great if i could move the combo/judgement thing up or down ingame

both of these are already on the plate

Quote:

Song selection:
When i press 1 or 3 or 4 the background is reloaded? each time, and that leads to some lagging.

yes it is, and yes it does, and no it shouldn't be. The lag is minor enough that I haven't looked into it yet but I will soon.

Quote:

can the quotes be displayed? I chose to display the tips/quotes but it didnt appeared.

tips/quotes were removed the option to turn them on is just still there, if they do come back i'll have to write up a bunch of tips, so it's possible, but minor as you said

Quote:

I need to use the dedicated keys to change the color config (DFJK) but not the arrow keys, it is a bit unintuitive.

should be easy to change, as well as changing the avatar select to use arrow key input, which i already intended to do

Quote:

The song length color is still dependent on the mp3 length and a 90sec chart with a 4 min mp3 will get a orange color.

we fixed this last night and put the color on a gradient scale

misterkister 12-21-2016 11:27 PM

Is there a way for you to default the texture resolution to 1024 next time you update? Because for some reason, a crash occurs whenever I try to load up a theme after switching from one theme to another. This crash occurs when the texture resolution is at 2048. Plus, I tone down display color, texture color, and movie color to 16bit just in case.

MinaciousGrace 12-22-2016 01:17 AM

i wanted to do that because using 1024 res textures cuts memory use on d3d by like 60% (?_?)

but iirc there was a reason we didn't that also involved crashing

ps. 0.53 soon

Ristyy 12-22-2016 02:15 AM

Just reporting in with my findings today,
Keyboard Collaboration has been slaughtered!

MinaciousGrace 12-22-2016 05:23 AM

not sure what could have happened there, presumably it has to do with the dwi loading fix we implemented but I don't know why it wouldn't be working for you when it works for me

try clearing cache? although .52 should have forcibly rebuilt it so I'm not sure how/if that would help

clear your cache and reload all the songs and send me your log over skype

youngjii 12-23-2016 08:14 PM

Does the player rating take into account DP scores at all, or are all my old scores with DP and no wife data ignored?

Dinglesberry 12-23-2016 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngjii (Post 4505868)
Does the player rating take into account DP scores at all, or are all my old scores with DP and no wife data ignored?

I would imagine they would be ignored, I remember when I first installed wife I still started with no level, despite my profile having a couple thousand plays at the time, and my level only increased as I got more scores. (I'm bad and didn't move to wife earlier, #regrets :/)

Flossy97 12-23-2016 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngjii (Post 4505868)

The player rating is based on wife scores as that is what the difficulty calculator is based on

MinaciousGrace 12-24-2016 12:51 AM

posting to confirm the above

technically dp scores can be converted to wife under worse-case scenario assumptions (every boo is 179.9 ms etc) and technically i could convert all historic dp scores using the function to do so (i already made one for use in sorting highscorelists) however outside of accuracy scores(your player rating is very unlikely to be the product of accuracy scores unless that's all you play) this is extremely punishing

most test cases that involved close-aas on dp j4 resulted in ~5% drops to wife converting by worst case assertion, generating player ratings from a set of converted data would result in significant under evaluation of your rating to the degree that nearly anything you play will push you up a lot

the player rating needs only a moderate baseline of scores (couple dozen) to get a reasonable read on you, so it's not like you are at a significant disadvantage by not having scores converted due to an enforced grind requirement

currently the conversion function is accessible via lua so if you want to display the result you can do so; if people really want the option to permanently convert dp->wife in their actual profile at the noted penalty to be used in their player rating i can make the option to do so

ps. 0.53 later today heres a sneak preview

nerfed

basic skillsets

nerfed low percent ssrs into oblivion

MyNameIsKush 12-24-2016 01:41 AM

Big ups to everyone behind this for improving the quality of this game so drastically in such a short amount of time. I'm extremely appreciative to be given the optimal setting in which I can efficiently smash arrows, thank you.

Dinglesberry 12-24-2016 01:46 AM

Holy shit skill sets omg

MinaciousGrace 12-24-2016 03:32 AM

https://github.com/xwidghet/stepmania/releases/tag/0.53

tl;dr skillsets, super technical stuff is pretty badly underrated, mashable 'speed' shit is a little outta line, js stuff is more or less in line now, jacks are probably not intuitive at the moment but are working as intended (more or less)

filters and search updates didnt make it to 0.53 and will be part of the focus for 0.54 as well as calc tweaks and (possibly) the breakdown of speed into stream/lightjs and jumpstream, and the addition of technical/jack stamina as separate skillsets

linux support is planned for 0.54 as well

a public dev group discord server is being setup for contributors/collaborators and people who want to sign up to test versions prior to release and throw bug reports at me directly and all that jazz - a link will follow shortly

also read the release notes etc because any questions you have are probably answered there

Casey2069 12-24-2016 03:35 AM

Toasty is back HYPE

Gruzzly_Bear 12-24-2016 03:37 AM

yayayay its stepmania christmas

also its gruzzly not grizzly but w/e nice update

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MinaciousGrace 12-24-2016 03:39 AM

oops, fixt

Casey2069 12-24-2016 03:43 AM

k~

Gruzzly_Bear 12-24-2016 03:48 AM

oops i made the icon really big i'll send a fixed one to mina

ps: installer got removed :o

MinaciousGrace 12-24-2016 04:08 AM

huh, dunno what happened, it's fixed now though

e: i bet i hit publish before saving draft after adding installer, i just figured it would automatically save the changes if i did that

XeoStyle 12-24-2016 09:55 AM

The new update in one picture .

More seriously, as you said if you take the jack value appart it's actually accurate (like compare a jack value to another one) but really underrated compared to the others value. But well I think you already saw that ^^

I was wondering, is there anyway to change how playing on rate sounds like? Like changing the pitch make things sounds really weird lol. Is there any option you can switch ? If not it would be cool to have one.

But well, with the french community we all switched together to Etterna and so far we're having a really good time (and a lot of FPS jizz it's nice), really appreciate the work you guys have done it's really cool ! :D

Flossy97 12-24-2016 10:24 AM

Yes, if you go to preferences.ini in the save folder, there is an option "EnablePitchRates." By default it's set to 1, but changing it to 0 will make rates not get pitched

XeoStyle 12-24-2016 11:38 AM

Oh nice, thanks ! :V

Dinglesberry 12-24-2016 11:59 AM

my game crashes before it gets to the results screen on everything i've played so far ;_;

http://pastebin.com/MbSsfGYP

EDIT: in preferences.ini, it was blank for "SoundDrivers=".. gonna try "SoundDrivers=WaveOut", not sure why it doesn't have this now

EDIT2: nope, still crashes..

EDIT3: Fixed, ty mina

MinaciousGrace 12-24-2016 12:35 PM

it has nothing to do with sound drivers

you have a file for which one of the charts bombs when trying to convert from a stepsid to a steps object, producing a null object and the game forces an exit with the error message "Crash reason: 0, 3, """ (steps type, difficulty enum, and description)

it would be really nice if whoever wrote this error message had the prescience to include the songdir of the chart that's bombing out, but they didn't

needless to say this shouldn't be possible in practice, null is only returned if the steps vector is empty and if there are no steps for the file in question the loading process should disregard the file and never load the song in the first place

the function that calls conversion of a stepsid to a steps object also first checks the validity of the stepsid before trying to get a steps object from it

so basically you have a reference to a steps object that doesn't exist in a song that shouldn't be loaded being called from a function that should have skipped the chart in question 3 times before it ever got to that point

i'm assuming since i havent been blowing up with crash reports from anyone else that this is relatively isolated

if you pm me discord contact info i can help you get it sorted out

MinaciousGrace 12-25-2016 01:38 AM

https://github.com/xwidghet/stepmani...ases/tag/0.53a

hotfix addressing the above issue

mwes 12-28-2016 05:07 AM

very minor:
1.0x score is displayed in brackets even when 1.0x rate is selected.
After exiting network settings, it goes backs to main screen instead of settings, which is just a bit inconsistent?

Favorites:
When i go to favorite from titles it shows a missing theme elements error

I also cannot seem to favorite songs and use the = key to search by artist or author. I have no clue why this happens though.

Dinglesberry 12-28-2016 08:10 AM

Search only supports alphabet characters, so for example if you want to search for "BF2014" you gotta search for BF, as pressing the #s switch between tabs.

-/= is for changing rates, so it wouldn't let you type that into the search either, by the same logic.

MinaciousGrace 12-28-2016 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mwes (Post 4506633)
very minor:
1.0x score is displayed in brackets even when 1.0x rate is selected.

thanks for catching this i can't believe I haven't noticed

Quote:

After exiting network settings, it goes backs to main screen instead of settings, which is just a bit inconsistent?

i believe that is intended to expedite smo access

Quote:

Favorites:
When i go to favorite from titles it shows a missing theme elements error

this is happening due to the group not having any songs in it and it tries to fallback on a display banner that doesn't exist

Quote:

I also cannot seem to favorite songs and use the = key to search by artist or author. I have no clue why this happens though.

the favorite hotkey won't work on the netselect music select if that's where you're trying to do it, if you're doing it from standard music select then I need more context

the '=' key should be supported in the search filter, however there are plans to redesign the whole system so i wouldn't worry about it short term

mwes 12-28-2016 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinglesberry (Post 4506645)
Search only supports alphabet characters, so for example if you want to search for "BF2014" you gotta search for BF, as pressing the #s switch between tabs.

-/= is for changing rates, so it wouldn't let you type that into the search either, by the same logic.

in newer versions you can use author=/artist= to search for different fields

Quote:

Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace (Post 4506647)
thanks for catching this i can't believe I haven't noticed

i believe that is intended to expedite smo access

this is happening due to the group not having any songs in it and it tries to fallback on a display banner that doesn't exist

the favorite hotkey won't work on the netselect music select if that's where you're trying to do it, if you're doing it from standard music select then I need more context

the '=' key should be supported in the search filter, however there are plans to redesign the whole system so i wouldn't worry about it short term

both are in normal music select, i use a english UK standard keyboard layout in win10, running 0.53

MinaciousGrace 12-28-2016 09:45 AM

also update on what to expect in 0.54:

filters and search updates have fallen by the wayside in favor of prioritizing calc updates and skillset expansion as well as an in-game interface to browse your profile breakdown (top 100 scores in any skillset etc)

it'll also afford an interface to manipulate your profile should you wish to invalid/prevent scores from being rolled into your player rating

e: mwes its probably a layout thing then?, try changing your windows keyboard layout settings to us/intl and see what happens, although it's hard to imagine that would fix the favorite shortcut key not working
e2: i have german layout kb and had no issue, and plugged in my oid layout keyboard and it worked fine as well using both welsh and us/intl layouts, so thats probably not it, i would sit tight until we update the search stuff since we'll probably be redoing the input method in the process

mwes 12-28-2016 10:08 AM

nope changing keyboard layout didnt work out but dosent bother me that much yet so

MinaciousGrace 12-28-2016 09:43 PM

discord server for development is open now https://discord.gg/ZqpUjsJ