Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Tournaments (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   [Concluded] Trumpet63’s “Divisionless” Tournament R7 (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=140380)

MKIIPro 01-8-2015 03:10 PM

Re: Trumpet63’s “Divisionless” Tournament

...In.

Deidara837 01-8-2015 03:28 PM

In, great setup yo

The table looks accurate but slightly deceiving, due to a 90% being like an equivalent 240 goods on a 1200 note song.
For the most part, the 96%+ in more detail would be the most useful on the chart, as 15 goods on a 1200 note song is 99.4% compared to the AAA's 100%. (A score of 96% would be an equivalent of 96 goods, which is still pretty high and at that point people would be rather submitting more accurate scores for better points)

Trumpet63 01-8-2015 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deidara837 (Post 4258696)
The table looks accurate but slightly deceiving, due to a 90% being like an equivalent 240 goods on a 1200 note song.
For the most part, the 96%+ in more detail would be the most useful on the chart, as 15 goods on a 1200 note song is 99.4% compared to the AAA's 100%. (A score of 96% would be an equivalent of 96 goods, which is still pretty high and at that point people would be rather submitting more accurate scores for better points)

Good point! Fixed it, take a look.

x_egeltje_x 01-8-2015 08:10 PM

i'm in. and it looks awesome i was planning a tournament exactly like this xD though i didn't have time to work out the formula yet :D

Kawaii025 01-8-2015 09:29 PM

In please.

Trumpet63 01-8-2015 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x_egeltje_x (Post 4258919)
i'm in. and it looks awesome i was planning a tournament exactly like this xD though i didn't have time to work out the formula yet :D

Mwahahaa!

Hey, who knows, if you can make a better formula you'll sure find out in this tournament!

FF_rules 01-9-2015 04:11 AM

Sure I'll join this. I'm barely surviving D2 as is so I'll prepare plenty of ointment.

sickufully 01-9-2015 04:56 AM

Sounds wicked, I'm in.

Juggalo702 01-9-2015 05:07 AM

I'm in.

rushyrulz 01-9-2015 08:24 AM

This one looks unique. I'm in.

MarcusHawkins 01-9-2015 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trumpet63 (Post 4258470)
I think you're asking: How do you know which of the eight songs to play? When you asked, I wasn't 100% sure how to answer that, since this is kind of an experimental system, but...

I just ran the ranking points for all of my levelranks, and happily enough the score I was most proud of won me the most points. The song had a difficulty of 57, and I got 6 goods and 2 boos. I figure this is about normal for a D3 player like myself? Basically, you want to play close to your division's norm, but be sure to try a couple songs up or down, especially if the song you're playing is giving you trouble. (Maybe not as scary as you were expecting?)

The songs will be spaced about 10 levels of difficulty apart, and each round will introduce slightly harder songs, hopefully scanning across everyone's ideal difficulty.

Did I answer your question?

So the scores will be based on combo and/or raw scoring??

Also, at the end of your message, you said the songs are 10 levels apart, with each round getting harder. Are you choosing the songs for the tournaments??

Trumpet63 01-9-2015 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarcusHawkins (Post 4259556)
So the scores will be based on combo and/or raw scoring??

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trumpet63 (Post 4257134)
Points earned is determined using a formula based on raw score (as a percentage)

The raw score is "used" in a way. Like if you got 2 goods on a 400 note song, you would get a raw score of 19950, out of a possible 20000 for a AAA.

bc:
Quote:

Raw scoring formula: ( Perfect x 50 ) + ( Good x 25 ) + ( Average x 5 ) - ( Miss x 10 ) - ( Boo x 5 )
This works out to a percentage: 19950/20000 = 99.75%
Then you use the percentage along with the difficulty of the song in my ranking points formula (in the OP), and that's your score. There's also a table of examples in the OP.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarcusHawkins (Post 4259556)
Also, at the end of your message, you said the songs are 10 levels apart, with each round getting harder. Are you choosing the songs for the tournaments??

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trumpet63 (Post 4257134)
Each round, participants will choose from 8 songs of various difficulty, and may submit scores for any of them, but only the score worth the most ranking points will be counted.

^^^^ This is kind of vague, I think I'll change it.

You're right, what I mean is: I will give you a list of 8 songs for the round, and you pick one out of that list... or more than one. You have to find the song that you can get the best ranking points on.

Funnygurl555 01-9-2015 06:26 PM

in!

rushyrulz 01-9-2015 07:16 PM

So, the highest difficulty songs will usually have the most potential for scoring as they most likely have the most notes and highest difficulty.

What exactly prevents D7 from raping everybody else's collective face?

A D7 player would get the same score as a D1 player if they both AAA'd the easiest song. However, if a D1 player played the hardest song along with the D7 player, the D7's score would be substantially better. This means that there is a ton of wiggle room for a D7 player and next to none for a D1 player.

I'm gathering that this is an attempt to level the playing field a bit, but I'm not quite buying it just yet.

Trumpet63 01-9-2015 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rushyrulz (Post 4259583)
So, the highest difficulty songs will usually have the most potential for scoring as they most likely have the most notes and highest difficulty.

I'm not sure about the note count thing, because it uses the percentage. Maybe having more notes gives you some wiggle room, but on the whole I think it's negligible. The difficulty though, yeah, that makes a big difference.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rushyrulz (Post 4259583)
What exactly prevents D7 from raping everybody else's collective face?

A D7 player would get the same score as a D1 player if they both AAA'd the easiest song. However, if a D1 player played the hardest song along with the D7 player, the D7's score would be substantially better. This means that there is a ton of wiggle room for a D7 player and next to none for a D1 player.

I'm gathering that this is an attempt to level the playing field a bit, but I'm not quite buying it just yet.

I'm "leveling" the field in a different way. Imagine that the typical divisions make a series of bumps with a general upward climb, like stairs that are a bit slanted. I'm trying to make it a straight upward-sloping line. I'm not, however, trying to get D1 players to compete with D7 players, and I don't think that would convince anyone that this is a legitimate competition of pressing buttons. Basically each player is going to play a song around their division, but I've added a system that relates each division to each other division with a continuous function.

Bringing people together :o <3

EDIT: And as always, the proof is in the pudding. This is completely untested.

Ezrealasitgets 01-9-2015 10:24 PM

Count me in

Garquillex 01-10-2015 01:49 PM

in

I'm interested in the idea and think something like this could be better than official tournament divisions. Players would still be competing in the neighborhood of similarly skilled players while no one has to worry about
1) sandbagging
2) SM or rate skillboosts not being shown in scores during placement
3) being stuck in the unfortunate zone of round 1 elimination
4) being placed wrong
5) maybe even more

the only immediate problem I'm thinking of is prizes, but those were never fair anyway since they're easier to get when in a low div

TheSaxRunner05 01-10-2015 01:58 PM

D7 is still going to wipe the floor with everyone, but that's because they're D7 lol

It's not really about leveling the playing field, just allowing for the entire range of FFR skill to be judged within about a twenty point range.

For an example, check the results of the division-less tournament I ran a while ago. It comes down to rivals close in skill trying to edge past one another within the framework of everyone's various skill levels.

Garquillex 01-10-2015 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSaxRunner05 (Post 4259993)
rivals close in skill trying

hell yes
rivals are the best source of improvement (outside of an insane amount of selfmotivation)
"I want to beat THAT SCORE" is always what gets me going
like that jerk over in the portalbob tournament just one-upped my MA so I want to kick his ass

Trumpet63 01-10-2015 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garquillex (Post 4259988)
I'm interested in the idea and think something like this could be better than official tournament divisions.

yesss

Quote:

[...] no one has to worry about
4) being placed wrong

Convenient how I avoided that, no? Great for noobs who don't know how to place divisions... like me!

Quote:

the only immediate problem I'm thinking of is prizes, but those were never fair anyway since they're easier to get when in a low div

Yeah, I mean, making this tournament was sort of motivated by the idea that people who are at the top of - say - division 2, get tons of credits, while the next step up gets no credits. I know it's tradition, and it's common practice in a lot of communities, but ehh, I want to try and fix it. So...

*flips through notebook*

Since I knew most of the players were going to be really close in ranking points, I decided I would want to subtract an amount from every player's score to make the differences more mathematically significant. Planning to award credits based on their percentage of the total ranking points, I made a formula that would tell me the amount to subtract given the percentage of the credits I wanted to award the top player (you can see this in action in the last tab of my spreadsheet). It goes something like this:

[Subtractor] = ([Top RP Value] - (x%)[Total RP] ) / ( 1 - (x%)[Number of Players])

Sometimes it gives players negative RP values (correlating to highly spread-out values), so I figure a few people will have to be removed, i.e. get no credits.

Quote:

D7 is still going to wipe the floor with everyone, but that's because they're D7 lol

yesss

Quote:

It's not really about leveling the playing field, just allowing for the entire range of FFR skill to be judged within about a twenty point range.

It's definitely annoying how tight the competitions get, and it's only partially alleviated by having multiple rounds (like when one player just AAA's the whole tournament O_o). Then again, I'm not convinced that my tournament will have enough songs to fix that issue. If they're too spread apart in difficulty, it'll be the same division problem all over again. We'll have to wait and see on that one...

Quote:

For an example, check the results of the division-less tournament I ran a while ago.

I have, thank you ;)