Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   The Fitness Thread (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=125290)

kmay 09-1-2012 02:26 PM

Re: The Fitness Thread

does anyone know what to do with a torn meniscus (knee injury). i mean theres really nothing i can do from what i've read. =/

Bahamut-X 09-1-2012 02:49 PM

Pretty sure that requires surgery. I knew a guy who tore both his ACL and meniscus iirc and had to get surgery for that. He was never completely the same after words in terms of what he was able to do physically, but he was still able to run and jump if he really needed to.

Senip 09-1-2012 02:50 PM

http://www.medicinenet.com/torn_meni...ithout_surgery

kmay 09-1-2012 03:12 PM

guess i'm hopping on the weight loss train after all. =]

thanks guys. starting tmrw with my friend

also this knee is alright most of the time, but i need to work the muscles around the knee for support. gotta make the volleyball team when i transfer schools

ssbmchamp 09-1-2012 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senip (Post 3759752)
Whadaya bench bro?

Max between 340lbs and 350lbs with my body weight averaging 185lbs

Senip 09-1-2012 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssbmchamp (Post 3759956)
Max between 340lbs and 350lbs with my body weight averaging 185lbs

You're right where I am, I just hit 395 and I'm 215.

Reach 09-2-2012 10:27 AM

Those numbers are mighty impressive.

Let's not confuse powerlifting with bodybuilding though, since there's a difference. I don't think many bodybuilders actually care about their 1RMs.

e.g. I know that top natural bodybuilders like Robbie Sardinia, Matt Ogus or Chris Jones are putting up nowhere near those #s and they're in a similar weight class. They never do 1RMs (though, you can use a simple calculator to estimate it) because they don't really cause much hypertrophy.

and I think the results speak for themselves: http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...44617501_o.jpg - weight 180, 1RM bench ~ 310.

It's all relative to what you're looking for. If you want strength, train strength. You'll be able to lift more than people that bodybuild, but on the other hand you won't have a comparable physique.

Not really a fair comparison either way you cut it.

jductape 09-2-2012 03:23 PM

Welp, for the first time ever I started creatine yesterday. Here goes nothing!

SCWolf 09-2-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jductape (Post 3760688)
Welp, for the first time ever I started creatine yesterday. Here goes nothing!

Feel da gains.

Back in the gym starting tomorrow. Here we go. Hopefully I don't re-destroy my wrist.

ssbmchamp 09-2-2012 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reach (Post 3760557)
and I think the results speak for themselves: http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...44617501_o.jpg - weight 180, 1RM bench ~ 310.

Impressive photo, however legs like that or bigger are just disgusting and i'm sure majority of people would agree.

kmay 09-2-2012 05:23 PM

well i'd date him

Reach 09-2-2012 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssbmchamp (Post 3760746)
Impressive photo, however legs like that or bigger are just disgusting and i'm sure majority of people would agree.

I agree, though I don't think it's because his legs are that big, it's mostly the conditioning.

Personally, not something I have to worry about since I carry a lot of fat on my quads. Takes a loooooooot of cutting to get the tear with striations in my legs.

Cavernio 09-3-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reach (Post 3759250)
Not caring about your appearance is generally seen as a huge turnoff, actually.

Right, but not doing anything whatsoever about your appearance is also far, far below societal standards. Personally, there's a fairly low point where someone passes from looking-good to looking-good-but-they-spend-too-much-time-doing-it-so-its-actually-bad. I most often assume negative narcissistic, shallow characteristics about someone's personality when they are super put-together in a regular day-to-day situation.

Quote:

I'm sure you go to the hair dresser and get a hair cut, you put scents on yourself so you smell better, you dress with certain clothes and brands to set an example, you wear jewelry, many women wear makeup and other misc products to improve their appearance, etc. I don't see why working out to look better is even a big deal. There's a clear distinction between improving one's appearance and being a narcissist.

ALL of the other examples you've said, to me, can definitely be things I don't particularly like about someone. Its totally not just an excersise thing.
Personally though, I am very laissez-faire about my appearance generally. I don't get my hair cut often enough to keep it looking nice, and I totally opt for quick hairstyles. More than half of scented products make me feel sick, so I avoid them for myself and the other ones I choose to not wear because I know there's plenty of other people out there like me. I definitely don't buy brands when it comes to clothing. I rarely wear jewelry. I rarely wear make-up. I like dressing up sometimes though, I like doing it for special occasions, and occasionally just because. When I do I totally feel vain; it's a good feeling.
There's not a clear distinction at all b/w narcissism and merely improving one's appearance. In fact, when describing it as such, I would say the two are exactly the same thing. The intent is what makes it narcissism. The difference in all those activities is that there's also minimum societal standards to appearance. Not adhering to those makes someone less appealing, and at the same time following them isn't narcissistic, it's wanting to avoid people thinking poorly of you. One is wanting positive attention, the other is avoiding negative attention. Of course what one person perceives as 'standard' or 'minimal' will be different than what someone else thinks.

Quote:

I workout for myself because I enjoy doing it. I'm already taken so I have no need to pick up. Don't be so quick to judge people that bodybuild as walking vanity zombies.

Chill. Scwolf specifically said why he wants to buff himself up, and I don't see how saying that some girls, (using myself as an example) might actually be turned off rather than turned on by that, (for more than one reason), is a problem. He's going to do what he wants to do anyways, as will you.

And speaking of defensive, I dunno why it's wrong to throw the non-buff guys a bone, a true one at that.
Male soccer players I'M thinking of: http://www.homorazzi.com/article/cla...dolce-gabbana/
All of the guys in that one shot dolce and gabbana add. No shit they're fit, they're soccer players. But they are not buff.

jductape 09-3-2012 11:25 AM

WOW!! This is only my third day on creatine, and i can already notice a difference. Not that i'm getting bigger yet but I immediately was able to do 4 sets of all my chest/tri exercises instead of the standard 3. This is awesomely absurd!

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmay (Post 3759844)
does anyone know what to do with a torn meniscus (knee injury). i mean theres really nothing i can do from what i've read. =/

If it's bad enough then you should probably get surgery. But if that's not the case, then you can do some PT to streghen the muscles around your knee. Five months ago I tore my ACL, MCL, and meniscus so I feel ya.

SCWolf 09-3-2012 03:54 PM

Hit the gym today. Wrists aren't down for chin ups. I'll have to hold out on those for a while.

Reincarnate 09-3-2012 03:59 PM

How did you guys injure your knees?

ssbmchamp 09-3-2012 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reach (Post 3760773)
I agree, though I don't think it's because his legs are that big, it's mostly the conditioning.

No idea what you're talking about when you say "it's mostly the conditioning."

An additional thing I noticed are his forearms are absolutely tiny, therefore making his arms look way out of proportion with the rest of his body.

Poison- 09-3-2012 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reincarnate (Post 3761383)

Hockey and football for me.

Reach 09-3-2012 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssbmchamp (Post 3761442)
No idea what you're talking about when you say "it's mostly the conditioning."

An additional thing I noticed are his forearms are absolutely tiny, therefore making his arms look way out of proportion with the rest of his body.

Low body fat percentage (probably around 5%)

jductape 09-3-2012 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reincarnate (Post 3761383)

Ultimate Frisbee, first outdoor practice of my senior year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCWolf (Post 3761380)
Hit the gym today. Wrists aren't down for chin ups. I'll have to hold out on those for a while.

How'd you hurt your wrists?

Now a question for anyone, with the creatine that I'm taking it's just the standard micronized creatine powder. I only lift every other day, but I've been told to take it every day. If I don't do any physical activity one day but still take the creatine, is that bad?