Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Rip Flash (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=151158)

dashoe93 08-12-2019 11:22 PM

Re: Rip Flash

So when are you guys gonna rebrand.

MixMasterLar 08-13-2019 12:51 PM

We should probably make sure we have video of some of the old flash animations that are worth keeping

I haven't been on Newgrounds in forever and a day, and I'm the users there are probably already doing this but like

I kind of feel like it's worth checking in and seeing what all has and has not been archived; there where more sites then just Newgrounds ya'kno?

Also what I really am concerned about is Spin it UP!

rushyrulz 08-13-2019 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zageron (Post 4692351)
fyi, with regard to FFR.
If no action were to be taken by us, only the browser game-play would be lost.
Air is safe, for now.

let it die tbh

EDIT: talking about browser of course

jsiu123 08-26-2019 05:20 PM

Heh, first post and hi all

Yeah I've heard of some sort of security issue that comes from Flash and android plain do not support it at all. It was like that for some time when I last tried to run a wordpress blog and looked up a little bit about building a website.

But anyways, since its an issue for some time, I guess developers here would have known it already.

Here it is

Quote:

Browser makers were years ahead of Adobe's announcement because Flash is seen as a general security problem. They've already initiated efforts to restrict Flash from running in browsers, except with user consent.
Google "Flash not supported". I can't post url yet :(
There's a link to redmongmag over in the result

kainivy 08-26-2019 09:59 PM

I've been noticing this has been popping up every time i open my browser, how will this effect FFR? Since replay's are saved as flash o.o;

MI4 REAL 09-7-2019 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charu (Post 4692434)
I always wondered why even remove support. What's so bad about it now that they must remove it? Any modern site has pretty much wiped flash off the face of the earth.

I don't see why they don't keep the feature so users, who wish to access legacy sites, still be able to navigate/use said site.

The same reason why old computer games don't have backwards compatibility, probably.

choof 09-7-2019 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charu (Post 4692434)
I don't see why they don't keep the feature so users, who wish to access legacy sites, still be able to navigate/use said site.

because legacy applications are a massive threat. need I remind you that FFR has been hacked twice now due to security vulnerabilities caused by legacy applications?
every software company needs to do this, forcing users off of an archaic technology might cause some growing pains but it's ultimately for the benefit of the users

choof 09-7-2019 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MI4 REAL (Post 4697535)
The same reason why old computer games don't have backwards compatibility, probably.

old computer games don't work on new computers because those old computer games use technology doesn't really exist anymore? you can't run dos games on windows 10 because windows 10 neither contains dos nor emulates it. they don't really pose a security threat, for a number of reasons

fortunately, emulation of old computer games is incredibly easy to do

Dynam0 09-9-2019 11:57 AM

So like, does this mean fiffer will be uber-exploitable? I still don't understand how this impacts the game itself if everyone uses a stand-alone.

I kinda wanna play again someday too but getting the game to run well is impossibly frustrating

Dinglesberry 09-9-2019 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dynam0 (Post 4697817)
So like, does this mean fiffer will be uber-exploitable? I still don't understand how this impacts the game itself if everyone uses a stand-alone.

I kinda wanna play again someday too but getting the game to run well is impossibly frustrating

exploitable how so? as in cheatable?

no matter what, if someone is able to achieve a legendary tier score, theyll be met with scrutiny and be forced to prove their claims, whether its a liveplay or even the oldschool "xD post ur ini"

Rhythm games aren't the sort of game where cheating is actually relevant at all, imo, but im sure it does happen.

also man just play etterna, itd be sick to see some of ur acc scores in etterna, I watch this vid all the time lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ucHb7upg0s its my favorite stepmania file/chart, I know for sure u can quad this shit

choof 09-9-2019 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dynam0 (Post 4697817)

I don't know specifics about the standalone but I want to believe it's sandboxed or contained somehow so you don't really need to worry about it
it's not that it'll be exploitable, flash is already incredibly exploitable. it means that they'll stop issuing security updates so any new and current exploits will remain. in a more general sense, think of it as xp support ending. right now, if you put an insecure install of windows xp onto the internet and leave it over night, it'll be infested by the morning.
I used to follow quite a few people in infosec on twitter and they'd post novel exploits all the time, I'd imagine that once flash support is completely gutted, you could hop on twitter and find an exploit to work with within an hour.

devonin 09-9-2019 03:39 PM

It means that the ability to play FFR through a browser will go away when browsers stop saying "You should stop using Flash" and start saying "This browser will not load flash"

That and some issues for much the same reason with watching replays appear to be the only real consequences for us of this.

MI4 REAL 02-16-2020 04:29 PM

Because we do what the fuck we want to, and you have no say in the matter. Flash never hurt anyone, at least in the case of this website.

Hakulyte 02-16-2020 06:06 PM

You guys say rip Flash. I say rip Chrome.

_DJ Vinyl_ 02-17-2020 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hakulyte (Post 4713772)
You guys say rip Flash. I say rip Chrome.

You Spelled Firefox Wrong

drizzleRomanceGirl 02-17-2020 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _DJ Vinyl_ (Post 4713792)
You Spelled Firefox Wrong

i use firefox and it still plays flash

MI4 REAL 02-20-2020 06:12 AM

Don't worry. All the browsers will copycat each other and block Flash completely. Corporations do that all the damn time.

drizzleRomanceGirl 02-21-2020 02:59 PM

if browsers end up blocking flash here are a lot of tips from different people on quora that might help you continue to use flash:

https://www.quora.com/If-Adobe-disco...browsers-still

laserguyman 02-22-2020 04:47 PM

F in the chat for Flash

mi40 02-23-2020 12:19 AM

time to rebrand to funfunrevolution