Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Bug Reports and Suggestions (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Classical Music Attribution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=120945)

hi19hi19 11-3-2011 07:14 PM

Re: Classical Music Attribution

I wouldn't mind leaving Turkish March with that name. Makes sense, similar to the way we've been going with English in a lot of other places.

Kynosaur 11-3-2011 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hi19hi19 (Post 3560463)
As you can see the common name is right there, so there will be no confusion.

I was talking about a good 'short' title which also has the common name. So without the whole movement 3, saying it's a sonata etc.

hi19hi19 11-4-2011 06:53 AM

I really like those changes, especially putting v2 in the common name. Makes a lot of sense. It's a bit odd to have a different format from the Minute Waltz v2, but that's okay.
You could possibly use something like "Minute" Waltz v2 Op.64, No.1, but that seems a little contrived.

The Moonlight Sonata changes are technically fine and make the title short enough. It's okay they don't fit the format of the others, because we've decided readability > consistency.

You also didn't make my changes from earlier- Philip Glass should be P.Glass and I'm pretty sure Badinerie needs a movement number.

This reduces the song titles with drastic changes to just two:
Etude in E Major -> "Tristesse" Etude Op.10, No.3 -Shortened-
Molto Vivace -> Transcendental Etude No.2

These two are really changes that need to be made anyway. Molto Vivace, as I've said before, is pretty horribly wrong.
While just Etude in E Major is actually enough to identify which song we're talking about (Chopin only wrote one etude in that key) it's a lot less descriptive than simply naming it correctly. Additionally, having a name for the Etude, "Tristesse", will make refferring to it in Brag Board threads and such more convenient.

Still waiting for an official response to this. With my changes from earlier, Subin's list above is far more technically accurate than what we have now, without sacrificing clarity.

hi19hi19 11-4-2011 07:19 AM

Maple Leaf Rag
Fig Leaf Rag
The Entertainer
Jelly Roll Blues

Ragtime pieces should be much less of an issue, as they were usually published with just a common name, i.e. Maple Leaf Rag. From what I can tell the titles are fine and they just need updates in the artist to match the proper format.

If they are not on IMLSP you could check Perfessor Bill's website. He's a ragtime historian and professional ragtime pianist, and has some good information if you're looking for sources.

hi19hi19 11-4-2011 08:42 AM

Updated OP.

bmah 07-7-2020 04:05 PM

Extremely old thread, but I think it's worth the bump to revive the discussion of improperly titled classical songs (as well as possibly any other improperly titled songs that we may have in the game). It's unfortunate that the incorrect names have been around for so long that they're cemented into our minds and it would look strange in any other way, but at the same time, I think it's important to properly attribute basic information to any song in the game: the correct song name and artist.

iironiic 07-7-2020 04:28 PM

100% with this idea for classical works. To address Leaves of the Wind, I received permissions from Issac Shepherd and stepped his original song before I went on hiatus. The song title can remain as Leaves of the Wind since that is how Shepherd is referencing his work (more on the flavor of contemporary/easy listening vs. classical).

Zageron 07-7-2020 04:46 PM

This is awesome. I totally agree this should be something that the GMs or content managers do.
CMs and GMs if there isn't enough control or it isn't easy enough, let me know, and we can write better tools.

bmah 07-7-2020 05:40 PM

And for starters on incorrect song titles not related to classical music, I recall the song "Stepfile This" was actually a stolen song from a different artist. I can't seem to find the original thread calling this out, but in addition to being a different artist (of which I cannot remember if the one in-game now is the correct artist or not), the song title was also different. IIRC "Stepfile This" is just a placeholder name to disguise the actual song from which it was originally stolen. At least get the title right.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the original thread which was probably many many years ago.

XelNya 07-7-2020 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmah (Post 4733373)
Extremely old thread, but I think it's worth the bump to revive the discussion of improperly titled classical songs (as well as possibly any other improperly titled songs that we may have in the game). It's unfortunate that the incorrect names have been around for so long that they're cemented into our minds and it would look strange in any other way, but at the same time, I think it's important to properly attribute basic information to any song in the game: the correct song name and artist.

Hey we don't bump old threads tho

DaBackpack 07-8-2020 03:39 AM

as far as copyright is concerned, the performer or performing group owns the copyright over a specific performance of classical music