Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   FFR General Talk (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   The Official FFR Picture Dictionary (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=115282)

TC_Halogen 11-22-2010 04:55 PM

Re: The Official FFR Picture Dictionary

Quote:

Originally Posted by C@! (Post 3348412)
Love the guide. By the way, I've always wondered, what is cb?

Combo breaker. In StepMania, it refers to any judgments that are below a great (thus, breaking your combo).

On FFR, the only combo breaking judgment you have is a miss.

C@! 11-22-2010 05:01 PM

Ahhh I see, thanks for clearing that up 8)

cry4eternity 11-22-2010 06:22 PM

What about sandwiches?

rushyrulz 11-22-2010 07:33 PM

sandwich = jumpstream for what it's worth.

flash dualist 11-22-2010 08:37 PM

Nice guide rush! Polyrhythms is the trickiest pattern in my opinion. They looked like the ones on death piano.

Izzy 11-25-2010 08:54 AM

How did I miss this thread. Those gifs are really cool looking. Very nice guide.

There is the pattern that goes

1 3 2 4 1 3 2 4

I don't think there is a name for the pattern but you should add it and make up a name. They kind of remind me of bleachers where you have the part you sit on and then where your feet go.

FFRGreen 11-28-2010 02:34 PM

You should add in what FGOs and stuff are.

rushyrulz 11-28-2010 02:40 PM

Difficulty names go in the FFR R1 Actual Difficulties thread, not this one.

who_cares973 11-28-2010 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Izzy (Post 3351056)
How did I miss this thread. Those gifs are really cool looking. Very nice guide.

There is the pattern that goes

1 3 2 4 1 3 2 4

I don't think there is a name for the pattern but you should add it and make up a name. They kind of remind me of bleachers where you have the part you sit on and then where your feet go.

That pattern has a name I just can't recall it right now

bmah 11-28-2010 03:10 PM

What about spin patterns such as 12431243, 34213421, etc.? They're typically index-unfriendly stuff. Can also be seen in 32nds as well (e.g. Kidney Stone, Perfect Cherry Storm). In DDR, you'd almost always have to doublestep this type of pattern.

random sidenote: I used to mix up some terminology because I used some of them in different scenarios...when I played IIDX, what FFR calls "trills" I would always refer to as rolls, because they were typically "drumrolls" in the song. And I used to always refer to "triplets" as 12th notes or 24th notes, not a three-arrow pattern, because that's the sort of terminology used in music.

rushyrulz 11-29-2010 05:12 PM

Added Omniflag to OP.

who_cares973 11-29-2010 05:22 PM

I always prefered calling it a rainbow flag

Mechablob 12-17-2010 12:28 PM

A rather interesting and helpful guide. I wouldn't have expected to have moves like "The wall of death" haha. Looks challenging :D

rushyrulz 12-17-2010 12:34 PM

oh yeah...

xxtakeshixx09 12-21-2010 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSaxRunner05 (Post 3348406)
Yea rolls go left to right or right to left (fingers roll in order) while a wall is just a cluster**** of arrows.

I've been calling rolls "slides", and no ones been understanding me. I thought rolls were something I put jelly on. :X

Stewie7Griffin 12-21-2010 11:29 PM

Great guide, I think you should've made the gif's with the Combo and Accuracy masks turned on.

Also, Dossar plays Chik Habit. I F@#$ING love that song! Where is it at, I can't find it on the song list. :(

rushyrulz 12-21-2010 11:37 PM

Stewie, my engine is old and doesn't have PA/combo masking. I made a file specifically for this thread and threw it in my engine, otherwise I would have.

Elite Ninja 12-21-2010 11:42 PM

You forgot another playing style and it was one that I knew many players used back in the day. There isnt really a name for it but this is what it is.

Index on left hand, and index + middle finger on right hand.

Left hand index finger covers the up, down, and left keys.

Right hand index finger covers the up and down keys.

Right hand middle finger covers the right key.

Helpful for both streams and jumpstreams and helps with speed.

rushyrulz 12-22-2010 12:33 AM

I've never heard of that one o.O. It seems a little redundant having 3 fingers covering 6 keys.

dore 12-22-2010 12:48 AM

you forgot 2-hand 3-finger, which is a variant of index that a lot of people used to use but it isn't that common anymore

what you have labeled as "triplets" should be "triples". triplets are a musical term indicating 3 notes where the note denomination would usually have two (an eighth note triplet (or 12th in music game terms) has 3 notes per beat where there would be two eighth notes in that same beat). triples are the term for the xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.etc pattern

gallops can also be x..xx..xx..xx and not just x.xx.xx.xx

you might also add in that hands also includes quads (because to hit a quad without cheating them on pad, you have to use two hands)

you could also include mini-staircases (123212321etc) as a running man variant

rolls don't have to be 1234 or 4321, they can be any pattern of all four arrows (1324, 1423, etc)

you could include spins (1243 or 3421), a roll variant (though they're more important for pad/index than anything)

for the stream section, you could include that "stream" usually indicates a string of 16th notes, but there's 4th stream, 8th stream, 12th stream, etc. to indicate any long set of notes with a single note denomination. in general I disagree with all of the places that say it only applies for a certain denomination and up, because those terms can be useful to describe patterns at any speed