Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Other Music Games (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   why do people hate on osu!mania?? (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=148455)

PixlSM 11-17-2017 08:14 AM

Re: why do people hate on osu!mania??

Quote:

Originally Posted by icontrolyourworld (Post 4597997)
things

im just addressing some of the things brought up in the OP.

as far as maps, yes a LOT of the maps are completely boring anime ops with very basic layering and no pr.

They dont allow dumps to be ranked, meaning hard maps are very limited.

The beatmap ranking system is run by people who probably dont even know what pr is anyways. and even if the BNs or whatever they are called knew what they were doing, the ground rules set in place are unnecessary and convoluted and as a result the ranked maps suffer.

about the leaderboards and ratings thing, once again I was responding to the OP. that being said, my statement about SR (which is a bad system) affecting the mapping meta in osu (lots of jumptrills, difficulty spikes, manipulatable patterns) still stands.

as far as the whole gameplay > graphics:
sure gameplay is more important, but the gameplay is osu is really bad (very easy to mash, poor acc system, score system is a complete joke, etc)

also if the skinning system is so bad I cant even get a setup I can read, thats pretty shit

Quote:

Every community will have its sourpatches, stepmania community included. Both games are community driven for the most part, and you can try to tie that into how both games are in their current states, especially including content provided by the community. As for the games at their core, the community did not actually create the actual game, just most of the content, so this statement i will still chalk up as it does not speak for the game.

again, the OP was about "why do people hate on osumania"

the community is a perfectly valid reason to hate a game (especially when its so integrated with everything in the game)

Quote:

I'm not one to say what is and isn't a rhythm game or anything, so here's what google/wiki says: Rhythm game or rhythm action is a genre of music-themed action video game that challenges a player's sense of rhythm.

I think that's a fair summary of what a rhythm game is. As to what makes it a joke I'm not 100% certain what you mean. It must be a very good joke considering its popularity.

I didnt say its NOT a rhythm game, im saying the devs dont know shit about rhythm gaming, and they have demonstrated it several times in the past (scorev2, combo scoring in std, peppy defending how easy it is to mash in om, etc)

Quote:

You can most definitely trash on either games scoring mechanics, but at the end of the day, it's an excuse not to get better.

I'd LOVE to see someone even try to call Wife scoring shit. Hell, even MIGS takes a massive shit on osumania's two scoring systems.

PixlSM 11-17-2017 08:16 AM

oh yeah, and you get a multiplier for using visual mods like hidden sudden and flashlight, despite the fact that the people who use those, use them because it makes the game EASIER to read.

SKG_Scintill 11-17-2017 10:35 AM

I don't like column colours

PixlSM 11-17-2017 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NinjaSM (Post 4598110)
While im not sure about the current state of it now, iirc this was reverted

but in the case it isnt
your point's still valid
i know someone who actually NEEDS to use flashlight because he cant read the game otherwise, it's kind of the same vein of someone using high scroll speeds because of short memory span or low scroll speeds or a mental illness/challenge they have to deal with. it's really fucking unfair

I mean just the very fact that this was considered a good idea and was pushed through shows just how oblivious the devs are. It took a massive community shitstorm to get it reverted. (Also iirc FL still had the bonus but not hidden and sudden, which further goes to show they didn’t learn their lesson)

SKG_Scintill 11-17-2017 11:25 AM

btw I don't know how far VSRGs are getting to e-sports

all of icy's points are valid when it comes to being a game that's enjoyable
but if osu!mania is trying to portray itself as an e-sport(contender), it should fix these issues regardless of casual enjoyment

Xiz 11-17-2017 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leonid (Post 4598011)
osu is objectively better than ffr and if you think otherwise you are delusional

Exactly

Osu is 2017
FFR is 2007

Charu 11-17-2017 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xiz (Post 4598131)
FFR is 2004

Fixed!

dAnceguy117 11-17-2017 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xiz (Post 4598131)
Exactly

Osu is 2017
FFR is 2007

xiz is so two thousand and late

rushyrulz 11-17-2017 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKG_Scintill (Post 4598123)
btw I don't know how far VSRGs are getting to e-sports

I'd be genuinelly shocked, no flabbergasted, if VSRGs ever evolved into an e-sport

SKG_Scintill 11-18-2017 10:55 AM

there were at least two osu!mania tournaments though

rushyrulz 11-18-2017 11:31 AM

I think there's a not-so-fine line between a couple tournaments and a full-blown esport

SpaceGorilla 11-18-2017 11:38 AM

fantastic thread

xXSora 11-18-2017 11:45 AM

[insert stepmania-biased opinion on how bad osu!mania is]

Mahou 11-18-2017 12:08 PM

Lol both games are fun to me.

R666 01-31-2018 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahou (Post 4598457)
Lol both games are fun to me.

i think both suck but osu is a bit worse

Shodzzy 01-31-2018 04:37 PM

... It's Osu..?

Shodzzy 01-31-2018 04:43 PM

It's also a very shitty ripoff (? i mean, is it?) and I can't play with 5 controls at once lol

Moria 01-31-2018 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shodzzy (Post 4607035)
It's also a very shitty ripoff (? i mean, is it?) and I can't play with 5 controls at once lol

QueenAshy 07-1-2018 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fantasticone (Post 4597915)
- Flawed rating system
- Laggy for some people
- Ranked charts not hard enough I heard
- Column colors is very hard to get used to
- Personally upscroll is not supported well enough for most skins

Just some reasons here.

1. Yeah, the star rating system is flawed. Though, abraker is working on a new star rating algorithm that favors jumptrills less and determines difficulty based on how hard the patterns actually are to read.

2. I don't see how it would lag, I've run it on a surface pro 4 before and it worked fine. (It would crash when loading complicated things in the editor or selecting too many objects at one time tho).

3. Loved charts kind of fix that. Some of them are above 13*; which is about lv. 110 on o2jam (number might be off, I'm not the biggest of o2jam players). But there are some ranked charts that are pretty hard, and DT exists (which can make things a lot harder btw).

4. Yeah, single color per column is kinda lame. I wish it had the beat colors like in FFR.

5. Depends on which skins, there's plenty of upscroll skins that work fine.