Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Brag Board (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Guys, I got StepMania into AGDQ!! (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=143321)

noname219 11-26-2015 02:36 AM

Re: Guys, I got StepMania into AGDQ!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by hi19hi19 (Post 4379195)
EDIT- another question, which I'm sure you are familiar with from streaming, is "do you just memorize everything?"
Being able to answer that with "no" convincingly is important. If people don't believe me I ask them to pick a pack from the pack list I've never even heard of and sightread some files, but you're not going to have that luxury so figuring out another way to explain it is important.

Crowd participation would be cool too, like making the crowd choose between 3-4 short different songs midway through your run. (even if that won't really prove that you can sightread files, it would create an interaction between you and the viewers)

Wayward Vagabond 11-26-2015 03:12 AM

Or just play my files

L.B.D.D 11-26-2015 03:57 AM

i just thought of this randomly at 2AM

i nominate leonid's pokemon medley

AlexDest 11-26-2015 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.B.D.D (Post 4379204)

at 1.5x rate

ATTang 11-26-2015 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexDest (Post 4379205)
Quote:

Originally Posted by L.B.D.D (Post 4379204)

at 1.5x rate

at 1.5x rate

storn42 11-26-2015 05:26 AM

what you need to try and do is tell everyone that you are playing on a dance pad, and only later reveal after the slot that you were actually just doing it on a keyboard.

Dynam0 11-26-2015 06:43 AM

imo the gameplay absolutely 100% needs to be paired with commentary that does a good job of explaining just how nuts said gameplay is and the game itself in general. Not many viewers will understand what stepmania is so a brief "history" so to speak during setup/warm up song is a good idear. I'm sure the freeware/copyright issue will need to be raised etc.

This is similar to the Tetris block where you have someone playing a game fast with no real "best time" implications so explaining the frame-perfect aspect of timing is something speed-runners would be wowed by. Also need to keep things fresh and make sure the files chosen have some kind of climax theory or progression to them with an obvious high speed area. (this will be tough to keep interesting)

I agree that some sort of reading showcase would be incredibly entertaining too but there aren't many who practice this sort of thing anymore (where are you leonid)

Congrats dude! :D
I'm wishing like hell I could make it to this..

lurker 11-26-2015 09:19 AM

definitely do not assume there won't be a problem with bms music (did you hear about the shit that went down over maniera's o!m chart)
anyone who's given their blessings to osu (e.g helblinde) would probably be cool with it if you contacted them

qqwref 11-26-2015 02:39 PM

The advice in this thread is great (especially hi19). To prove you are sightreading, maybe you could play a 16th jack/jumpstream file that would be moderately hard on S. Shuffle, and explain that it completely randomizes the chart, so there's no way you could memorize it all.

[TeRa] 11-26-2015 02:48 PM

huge grats on getting into gdq i very much look forward to watching this =)))

Deadlyx39 11-26-2015 03:09 PM

I got an idea. What if you show the progression of stepmania over the years? For example, start with the first difficult/popular files of the beginning days of stepmania, then progress into newer and newer stuff until you get to the hardest songs out today. This way you keep the progression of skill, while also highlighting the history of StepMania.

Dynam0 11-26-2015 07:01 PM

Eze's chart for 300 would be a nice pick (rates obvs), I'll think of more randomly

Leo137 11-26-2015 10:20 PM

Play that megalovania shit that windeu alterego did on rates

leonid 11-27-2015 01:09 AM

Just say you actually did memorize all hundreds of the charts with thousands of notes each. That's way more impressive IMO

If you are actually gonna do Pokemed don't and try Kirbymed instead

YoshL 11-27-2015 02:32 AM

course mod files /break/ when playing on rates, so lolnope

ddr_f4n 11-27-2015 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo137 (Post 4379334)
Play that megalovania shit that windeu alterego did on rates

Taronuke is not WinDEU let's stop comparing every person that did a course mod file to WinDEU.

PhantomPuppy 11-27-2015 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadlyx39 (Post 4379277)
I got an idea. What if you show the progression of stepmania over the years? For example, start with the first difficult/popular files of the beginning days of stepmania, then progress into newer and newer stuff until you get to the hardest songs out today. This way you keep the progression of skill, while also highlighting the history of StepMania.

i agree with this idea. i'd actually wanna see the progression of stepmania, considering ive only been around for a couple years. :)

lurker 11-27-2015 03:17 PM

how about let's not water down the game just because everyone thinks stian could get away with it
someone will inevitably find this thread and feel disrespected

klimtkiller 11-27-2015 03:57 PM

i saw the name of this thread and know it was staiain

MarcusHawkins 11-27-2015 04:26 PM

OMG HYPE!!!!
I guess you could play a famous pack, and at least AA every song in that pack! ;-)