Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   FFR Batch Forum (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   Queue/Batch Discussion Thread v2 (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=116884)

TC_Halogen 05-12-2012 07:30 PM

Re: Queue/Batch Discussion Thread v2 (Submission Closed)

I hope "Mmmmmmm" makes it without having to be cut... <3

would be cool to see another correctly executed jumpstream file in game that's not Pants/Freedom Dive (no offense hi19, as I like the file aside from the roll, i'd still watch that beverage for any bleach because a promise is a promise :p).

Terror to Terror has a 6.25 average after tossing highest/lowest, sigh. looks like it won't make it, unfortunately. I'll make the two minor changes to patterns and possibly resend it later but I'm not doing much with it.

hi19hi19 05-12-2012 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TC_Halogen (Post 3691590)
I hope "Mmmmmmm" makes it without having to be cut... <3

would be cool to see another correctly executed jumpstream file in game that's not Pants/Freedom Dive (no offense hi19, as I like the file aside from the roll, i'd still watch that beverage for any bleach because a promise is a promise :p).

lol man I totally accept that the roll was trolly as fck
I'd probably change it to alternating jumpstream if I had the chance, but a little late now sadly.
I too would love for another very difficult stamina/jumpstream file to be added. It's a niche that FFR is sorely lacking right now.

Mo-Ko-Mo-Core was my submission this batch with that in mind, but I think leonid stated the difference between it and icy's file pretty nicely with this comment:
Quote:

Originally Posted by leonid
- Was about to give it a higher score than Mmmmmmm because it seemed to have more varying patterns.. But it turned out to be only a little less gayer.
- M152-160: Seriously what
- I take it back. It's even gayer than Mmmmmmm
- What made you step this song anyway

So yeah I guess I'll probably just cut and water down Mo-Ko-Mo-Core into the generic Sharpnelshit file everyone seems to want it to be and instead root for icy's file to get in :3

qqwref 05-12-2012 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TC_Halogen (Post 3691590)
Terror to Terror has a 6.25 average after tossing highest/lowest, sigh. looks like it won't make it, unfortunately. I'll make the two minor changes to patterns and possibly resend it later but I'm not doing much with it.

Just a thought, but have you tried using patterns that aren't deliberately intended to be awful? Even YOU seem to hate your recent ingame charts. I'm sure you could make a great file if you weren't trying to troll players with it.

DossarLX ODI 05-12-2012 07:46 PM

dore deliberately used crappy anchor patterns in White Walls for "extreme difficulty". Terror to Terror really wasn't any better than that

If anything, the ratings Terror to Terror got were much higher than I was expecting

hi19hi19 05-12-2012 07:48 PM

Also a quick thought:

Can we please stop accepting artmania easy files? This is especially pertinent considering the next batch will concern these files exclusively.

A song in the 1-5 difficulty range, and arguably 6 & 7 as well, should have solid, constant rhythms. They are intended to provide a good way for players to improve their reading and timing abilities.
They are NOT intended to confuse the **** out of people who play them.

What an easy chart does not need is weird dicksynced rhythms, hypertechnical polyrhythmic layering, obnoxious grace notes everywhere, ~expressivemanian color theory~ etc
Save that "inspiration" for harder files, where at least people are used to how annoying those gimmicks are.
There's been so many of these files added recently that it's diluting the pool of easy files that are actually good for beginners...

DossarLX ODI 05-12-2012 07:51 PM

I can actually agree with that hi19hi19 haha, while Silvuh's piano files are synced pretty well and aren't really incorrect in the technical sense, they're not friendly to newer players since they don't follow a constant rhythm. This is surely NOT a way to get new players to improve, they'll more likely just get confused haha. A few of these files is fine, but lately there has been a massive influx of them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kommisar (Post 3691560)
given the way dossar has been reviewing things ~legit~ for sm I'm not sure he should've been judging for FFR, but whatever.

This better not be referring to that 1/10 thread

megamon88 05-12-2012 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hi19hi19 (Post 3691599)
Also a quick thought:

Can we please stop accepting artmania easy files? This is especially pertinent considering the next batch will concern these files exclusively.

A song in the 1-5 difficulty range, and arguably 6 & 7 as well, should have solid, constant rhythms. They are intended to provide a good way for players to improve their reading and timing abilities.
They are NOT intended to confuse the **** out of people who play them.

What an easy chart does not need is weird dicksynced rhythms, hypertechnical polyrhythmic layering, obnoxious grace notes everywhere, ~expressivemanian color theory~ etc
Save that "inspiration" for harder files, where at least people are used to how annoying those gimmicks are.
There's been so many of these files added recently that it's diluting the pool of easy files that are actually good for beginners...

This is definitely an issue that should be addressed.

Look at samurai's FAREAST HARDSTYLERZ for example - it was pretty much just 4ths the whole way through with a single 8th trill thrown in. It wasn't really following much in terms of technicality, but for a beginner it would be a straightforward file to play (hitting notes on the beat), with a small spike to challenge them. A beginner would probably prefer this over a variable bpm piano song, or even a piano song in general. Judging by the reviews though, this sort of file won't get in by today's standards due to "understepping" or "blandness". (I'm guilty of this too btw)

Any thoughts?

hi19hi19 05-12-2012 08:06 PM

Basically every new player I show the game winds up playing Breaking the Common and Secret Zombie Room.
Despite all the technicalmania shit that's been added recently, I notice these two files *always* became favorites with people who are improving.

And to think these files, which are so good for beginners, would be so soundly rejected by today's judges lol
I wish there were some non-legacy simple files like those two that were just really good for beginners to build their skills on.

TC_Halogen 05-12-2012 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qqwref (Post 3691597)
Just a thought, but have you tried using patterns that aren't deliberately intended to be awful? Even YOU seem to hate your recent ingame charts. I'm sure you could make a great file if you weren't trying to troll players with it.

I hated Scrap Syndrome because it was considerably harder than I wanted to be, but I sent it in anyway and it got straight [+] ratings. Not going argue with those kinds of ratings because it's obvious that other judges saw something in the file that I don't, and honestly, now that time has passed, I don't hate it all that much anymore - it's one of the FGOs I have left that I enjoy and get legitimately pumped up to play because the ending is extremely difficult (and memorable) at that. Initially, yeah - this file was intended to be a ridiculous difficult/trolly chart, before I submitted it, I toned down a LOT of the patterns. That's right, this file was brutal and easily a FSO. But I was nice enough to at least make it playable.

I'm also getting a bit tired of people telling me how I should/shouldn't chart my songs on a subjective level.

Said it once and I'm saying it again: I don't want Terror to Terror being anything less than a high FGO, which is why I stepped everything the way that I did. If people don't like it, they can re-cut the song and step it themselves.

icontrolyourworld 05-12-2012 08:13 PM

I really want Mmmmmmm to go into the game the way it is. I honestly believe it would be a very nice addition to the game! Especially since there is no other file quite like it in the game :')

@kommi's review:
-the sync feels very late. it might just be me, but check again in case.
It's gotta be you, I use ddream all the time and the other judges said the sync was fine

-m8 listen to these 32nds carefully. They aren't exactly one complete roll
I didn't step it as a solid roll, towards the end of it, on the 8th note i made it as a jump to go with the song more accurately but still keeping the flow. Plus it would be a bit awkward to have 1 colorful roll while the rest are 32nd rolls

-immediately after this section, you decide to step all the background 16th hi-hats which basically just turns this whole file into a gigantic dumpstream
I was going for a dense jumpstream file anyways so...

-So much more could've been done with this file had it not been solely done as jumpstream. In moderation, that would've been fine, but this is ridiculous. Most sections could be done much differently.
It would be a better idea to have a challenging DJ Sharpnel that isn't stepped like all the other ones in game right now. The way I see things; no one else would probably ever submit a file like this because it's so much different than what ffr is used to seeing.

@loenid's review:
- Nothing really wrong with the layering and stuff, but seriously? Nonstop 190bpm handstream for 4 minutes? That's like a much gayer version of Pants, but I can't reject simfiles just because I don't enjoy them, right? Maybe this chart will raise the bar of "good stamina players" in FFR..
Yea seriously. Nonstop JS/HS for 4minutes. (the rest isn't really a review, not sure if the first 2 bits are either.)

@Dossar's review:
- I think a cut at 98.35 would be amazing, because a marathon file like this is not suitable for FFR with how absolutely dense the trill-type handstream is. I wasn't really a fan of the 32nd transitions, but if this is going to go into FFR with its density, it needs to be cut. This file has more notes than Vertex Beta vROFL in its current state, haha (fun fact: with its length being just shy of four and a half minutes, its TPS is 17.827. That is higher than *RATO*. Now add a long duration to that!)
-It wouldn't be as challenging anymore, and I'd really like to keep it without a cut.
-The 32nds are all jumpthrillable, so it's not that bad and I'd really like to keep it without a cut.

- An appropriate method to toning down this file would be limiting hand usage, starting from measure 25. Layering the vocals only like you did before this point would reduce the massive density of this file and make it more playable to other players.
That would make the file more bland and uninteresting, plus it would reduce the difficulty i feel too much and ffr needs a dense handstream file

- I really can't stand 4 minutes of this file honestly, it's basically the same thing throughout. With a cut, this file would make an excellent dense file.
My favorite kind of file is one like this, and I'd really like to keep it without a cut. xD

Overall kommi says no because dense jumpstream. leonid says nothing wrong with it but low score o.o? dossars the only judge that wants a cut, so i feel i shouldn't have to cut the song if other judges never mentioned it.

The rest of the judges seemed to like it quite a bit, so i'm inclined to believe this kind of file will get a low score purely if the judge juding it doesn't like this type file

hi19hi19 05-12-2012 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icontrolyourworld (Post 3691614)
It would be a better idea to have a challenging DJ Sharpnel that isn't stepped like all the other ones in game right now. The way I see things; no one else would probably ever submit a file like this because it's so much different than what ffr is used to seeing.

lol hi

But no, we don't want unique charts here in FFR, we want the same style of artmania chart to standard "stepmania music" that we already have 1000 times in the game already.
Brb gonna go step some more generic Sharpnel, SSH, Virt, Flashbulb, BMS of Fighters shit, and MOSAIC.WAV

DossarLX ODI 05-12-2012 08:23 PM

I wish we had permission for Theatrix, that would make for some non-color note easy files

AlexDest 05-12-2012 08:24 PM

brb stepping data drain technically

dore 05-12-2012 08:32 PM

how to make easy chart:

find a song that sounds cool
be shitty at playing one-handed
make something that you find fun one-handed

that's how I do it

Quote:

Originally Posted by DossarLX ODI (Post 3691598)
dore deliberately used crappy anchor patterns in White Walls for "extreme difficulty".

I didn't do anything in White Walls for the sake of difficulty, I just didn't water anything down. I used trills for double bass rolls throughout the whole thing, not my fault homeboy doubled the speed through that section. I never chart things for the sake of difficulty because honestly I don't give a damn if something is annoying for playing for score.

00Razor00 05-12-2012 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexDest (Post 3691625)

kil yaself

Reshiram 05-12-2012 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexDest (Post 3691625)

No get out of here

>:C

bmah 05-13-2012 02:22 AM

Hey guys, check out the batch review thread! There's an update.

kjwkjw has sent his notes in as a supportive judge for a number of passed files. If your file was given a [PASS] rating or no numerical rating, please check it out.

sticklydude 05-13-2012 02:38 AM

cool, an 8

8)

hi19hi19 05-13-2012 02:42 AM

Now just to wait a little bit until the final ratings are done.
Then wait a little bit more for the queued files to actually start getting into the game.
Then wait a little bit more for the next batch, send re-submits, and do it all over again.

If nothing else, FFR teaches patience.

iironiic 05-13-2012 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hi19hi19 (Post 3691837)
If nothing else, FFR teaches patience.

Words of wisdom :3