Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Simulator Files (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Stepmania University: We'll make your files suck less (under construction) (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=107820)

Patashu 04-12-2009 11:20 PM

Re: Stepmania University: We'll make your files suck less (under construction)

here's one for the professors :o

Lecture P1 - Creating a Balanced, Fair Assignment

DISCLAIMER: This lecture is a first draft that was improvised in little time. Expect edits and possibly overhauls if needed.

NOTE: This lecture is for the professors. Feel free to read it anyways if you like, as there is valuable information in here.

I haven't listened to the song yet, but from what I've heard, the first assignment is already kinda dumb. Hence, I wrote this lecture for the professors so from this point on they will know how to make a good assignment. (And in the case that the assignment was good, this will just be here just in case.)

One thing we need to keep in mind is that these people are only starting to use their newly attained information for stepping, so we have to provide them with basics. Obviously, this means we should stick to something simple. Constant BPM songs are good for this reason. No sync mess, only focus on the patterns and techniques they have just learned. This also means we should pick songs with few color note solos.

Obviously, we can't give them songs that are bad for stepping either. Boring songs will not make good files and may not even have potential for any sort of new patterns. Pick what we would normally say are good songs, and make it easier for both you and the student, and grading/playing/stepping will be more fun as well, as there are more possibilities for stepping styles.

In addition, people only have fun stepping files for songs they actually like and can get into. If you can't get into a song, you can't understand the song or know it well, and as a result, you can't make a good file out of it. Not everyone will like the song you pick, so chances are you want to pick a few songs, maybe 2 or 3, even 4 perhaps, so that your students can pick something that suits them.

Also, pick sections of the song that are appropriate. If a song is divided into 8 measure phrases, don't assign 20 measures. There's nothing more annoying than ending steps in the middle of a phrase. It's like when someone ends a sentence in the

Here's a rubric to help summarize everything and make life easier:

- Constant BPM song.
- Song should not have color note solos.
- Song is not overly simple or generic.
- Song has many notable features.
- There is more than one song/give students some flexibility.
- The section of the song that needs to be stepped is appropriately planned.
- Recommended: The lesson corresponds to an appropriate song.

As much work as the students put into stepping, you should at least put some thought into your assignments. It's only fair.

P.S. The first artist I thought of immediately was OSTER Project. Most of his songs would be perfect for various assignments, and he should have enough songs to last a while. Then if the students happen to like what they make they can finish the file even.

Necros140606 04-13-2009 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patashu (Post 3044216)
Also, pick sections of the song that are appropriate. If a song is divided into 8 measure phrases, don't assign 20 measures. There's nothing more annoying than ending steps in the middle of a phrase. It's like when someone ends a sentence in the

i was thinking about this too, but i thought you guys already covered it all.

moches 04-13-2009 04:07 AM

Yeah, I definitely agree with Patashu. This song was hard to step. (And I actually tried to step this for FFRpack in the olden days, but failed. Miserably.)

Also, I'd like a lecture on keysounding sometime because it's how 99% of my layering is done.

Patashu 04-13-2009 06:17 AM

sorry, that was stargroup again if that wasn't clear

a lecture on keysounding? anything in particular you'd like to hear about it? key sounding as in the use of a particular note type (single, double, triple, freeze, minifreeze, mine or w/e) or as in the use of a particular pattern instance/subset?

moches 04-13-2009 07:14 AM

Just keysounding. Is it okay? Is it a legit form of layering?

EDIT: Also I'd like a lecture on when keysounding is appropriate and when it's not.

Dimentio 04-13-2009 08:45 AM

this is a good idea. i support

gnr61 04-13-2009 11:17 AM

yeah guys don't worry about future assignments being anything like this one lol. the goal of assignment 1 was initially just to see where everyone was at individually and this song is not one that capitalizes on the mechanics like it should have. kommi was firing off songs from idk where and we just chose something that would make a cool file regardless of its specific stepable elements which was dumb. 20 measures was also a 100% arbitrary selection and wasn't even meant to be taken seriously (i hadn't even heard the song yet).
so we're sorry this first assignment is so wack, but never fear, we will review it according to whatever basic mechanics we have thus far discusses and it won't count toward your grade as a whole (lol) and future assignments will be significantly better prepared ;D

kommisar[os] 04-13-2009 12:24 PM

basically it's to start everyone off and to show them what it's like to step a steppable song. I don't expect everyone to make it decently but it's a start. after a few weeks learning in da university stepping songs like oblivion will seem more fun and you'll have more creative ideas to make it fun and interesting.

t-rogdor 04-13-2009 01:00 PM

When's the final due date on this assignment?

kommisar[os] 04-13-2009 01:28 PM

sometime this week

xingyguy 04-13-2009 03:37 PM

I'll be a student.

operationstrawbarry 04-13-2009 04:57 PM

are we sending the assignments to ur emails? Better yet, wouldn't it be easier than dealing with a web hosting site? (Just because Ive never used one before).

I cant believe Im doing this. Its like school all over.

Well... at least theres no papers or exams.

dorama 04-13-2009 05:10 PM

papers/exams = best idea ever. implement NOW.

xingyguy 04-13-2009 06:31 PM

Here's a file that I just uploaded: http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...p?songid=35958

TC_Halogen 04-13-2009 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by operationstrawbarry (Post 3044604)
are we sending the assignments to ur emails? Better yet, wouldn't it be easier than dealing with a web hosting site? (Just because Ive never used one before).

They want you to host it to a site and then send them a PM to the link of the file. Just use MediaFire, it gets the job done. =)

kommisar[os] 04-13-2009 07:34 PM

what he said. works better than other ****ty file sites i've been linked to

gnr61 04-13-2009 07:36 PM

sendspace/mediafire etc are all fine, please avoid megaupload because i don't like waiting 45 seconds to download files >.<

i love gabba 04-13-2009 08:21 PM

my god, that really isn't the type of songs I would step xD I ****ed up this one hahaha

TC_Halogen 04-13-2009 08:49 PM

Don't feel bad, I think all of the students failed this first assignment. ;)

operationstrawbarry 04-13-2009 08:54 PM

Its not even my type of music that I would step. I dont know how to step electric guitar LOL. Guess you cant satisfy everyone.