Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   New Veteran Status - Opinions? (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=115500)

Mulie 11-23-2010 11:42 PM

Re: New Veteran Status - Opinions?

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoneyMelonCalibrator (Post 3349940)
Then the veteran status could correlate to original join date and membership length. But the word veteran ultimately ties into how long someone's participated in something, everything else everyone is mentioning is basically irrelevant.

Semantic analysis of the word "veteran" is irrelevant; it was arbitrarily chosen. The benefits should be rewarded for activity, which a holistic calculation using already defined and recorded statistics should account for.

HoneyMelonCalibrator 11-23-2010 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mulie (Post 3349962)
Semantic analysis of the word "veteran" is irrelevant; it was arbitrarily chosen. The benefits should be rewarded for activity, which a holistic calculation using already defined and recorded statistics should account for.

???

MrGiggles 11-24-2010 12:02 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHha
e: sorry your avatar looked confused and made me lose my mind for a sec.

Mulie's saying that 'veteran' is just a title and has nothing to do with the dictionary definition.

ee: oh and the second part; holism is the idea that you can't measure something by it's component parts, you have to get a picture of the system as a whole. i.e. you can't just use scores to calculate veteran, but the activity across the whole site.

HoneyMelonCalibrator 11-24-2010 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGiggles (Post 3349980)
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHha
e: sorry your avatar looked confused and made me lose my mind for a sec.

Mulie's saying that 'veteran' is just a title and has nothing to do with the dictionary definition.

Yeah, I know. Which makes zero sense in my opinion.

Mulie 11-24-2010 12:05 AM

It doesn't matter what the word "veteran" means. The "Elite FFR Supporter" benefits should be rewarded for the person's overall activity in the community. And restructuring everything is a bit over the top.

=x ninja'd

DotKritic 11-24-2010 01:21 AM

I just dislike this veteran status now. Not because I can't get it because of the lack of time I've had this account and how many points I have from playing the game, but it's causing more controversy about what you need to become a veteran. Just put **** back to where it last was.

FFRGreen 11-24-2010 02:41 AM

Nothing really change other than the name.

HoneyMelonCalibrator 11-24-2010 02:54 AM

lol

Mulie, are you SERIOUSLY trying to argue against the fact that the original meaning of the word "veteran" doesn't matter when deciding requirements for "veteran" status...?

Chromer 11-24-2010 02:54 AM

Bah, I've yet to see anyone in this thread old enough to be considered a "Veteran." That should be reserved for 6-7+ years. Senior Member is a better name for that.

MetalAtlas 11-24-2010 03:14 AM

i wouldnt think skill would be a good attribution to status. I mean, there are a lot of people who are active in the community, like Halogen and who cares who step and judge files, there are people who host many tourneys, there are people who play alot everyday. Personally, skill is irrelevant, because ffr isnt based on how good you are. Frankly, I have a very minimal amount of AAA's for my skill level and the amount of time ive been around, im still nearly at the 5 bil mark, still within the top 1000. It should be what a person brings to the community, and that they play the actual game or whatever.

aperson 11-24-2010 03:16 AM

Most of the sub features are stats related **** for the game so it goes by grand total. People who want veteran that don't play the game mostly want it just because they get a shiny blue name or something, I don't know.

The totals work for what they should do. I'll just make exceptionally cool people a veteran myself. If you stand out I or someone else will notice you.

Mulie 11-24-2010 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoneyMelonCalibrator (Post 3350076)
lol

Mulie, are you SERIOUSLY trying to argue against the fact that the original meaning of the word "veteran" doesn't matter when deciding requirements for "veteran" status...?

Wat. I argued for that fact, against your argument, which is the opposite of what you now claim you did. Let me show you:

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoneyMelonCalibrator (Post 3349940)
But the word veteran ultimately ties into how long someone's participated in something, everything else everyone is mentioning is basically irrelevant.

edit

Ignoring the trend where people reply without reading previous posts...
I'd like veteran. =3

Seriously though, I give up. There's no progress to be made.

HoneyMelonCalibrator 11-24-2010 03:35 AM

@mulie

While I agree with you on the fact that other aspects of the game should be taken into account when determining veteran status, I still think that membership length is perhaps the most concerning factor. As it's been said before, anyone could easily whore however many grand total points, or pointlessly post however many posts in order to obtain their vet status.

I don't know about you but I don't think that a prolific posting, game whoring player who happens to be relatively new to FFR constitutes as as veteran.

Mulie 11-24-2010 03:49 AM

Code:

Vet: obtain 4,500 points
----
time: +2 per day (+730 per year)
game: +1 per every 4,000,000 gts (+250 per bil)
----
token: +10 per token (1,370 cap)
AAA: +5 per AAA (3,835 cap)
FC: +1 per FC (767 cap)
--
total possible from skill: 1370+3835+767 = 5,972

Well... only someone pretty desperate to close their gap in points under this system would whore songs. Whoring posts would be a great way to be banned. To gain Vet through one factor alone, one would need...

* 72,000,000 billion GTS
* 6.16 years
* 9000 posts

So none of these methods are viable by themselves.

Besides... who cares? I mean, seriously; if someone wants to whore, or even mash a few high GTS songs for billions of score just to get Veteran a little earlier, I say let them. Why do you value time so much, anyway? This is my second account; I should already have Vet. It's really the least valuable facet in this calculation.

Emo_Saur_ 11-24-2010 03:53 AM

Being a veteran should be counted on contribution/dedication to the site. In my eyes, 3 years and 3 billion points isn't a stretch for anyone. If you have over 5 billion it shows you are dedicated in 3 years. If you've subscribed in the past over x amounts of time, you're contribution has helped the site stay somewhat alive. I don't count forum posts, or anything to do with profile part of the game.

HoneyMelonCalibrator 11-24-2010 03:58 AM

Incorporating AAAs, FCs, and token gets into veteran status seems overwhelmingly stupid.

Mulie 11-24-2010 04:11 AM

XCV 11-24-2010 04:16 AM

I disagree with his disagreeing.

MetalAtlas 11-24-2010 05:01 AM

so youre saying that if i wanted to be a vet, id haveta go whore songs to get the AAA's? I thought we were against whoring for status. I may not have been here the longest by any stretch but i've held many tournies, have a decent amount of posts, a moderate amount of points, and games played, not to mention subscribed a bunch of times, risen and killed a clan among other things. This is just an example. Plenty of people contribute to tournies and song files and do a bunch of stuff for the site, Those dedicated people that make ffr that much more fun are the ones who should be considered vets. Just cause I dont feel like being a perfectionist doesnt mean i should be counted out

adlp 11-24-2010 05:49 AM

i beat almost all the cod games on veteran so that makes me a veteran

im glad ffr recognizes me as a veteran