let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogy
Metroid Prime 2
Viewtiful Joe 2
Star Ocean 3
Baten Kaitos (mostly because the music is by Motoi Sakuraba)
Tales of Symphonia
Paper Mario

Maybe some other random games.
Wow...music scores by him? I might have to reconsider now. It might outweigh the card battle system.

Paper Mario is a MUST. I LOVE THIS GAME. I got it for 30 bucks a week ago. Tales is also a MUST. Get it on the 25th or I'll hate you forever. Vj2 is obvious, though I'll wait on that until I beat the 4 games I just bought on Black Friday. Star Ocean 3? You didn't have it yet? I hear it's amazing.

As for me? I already ordered everything I wanted for my mom using her card. Nyko Airflo Mouse, Thinkgeek Pi shirt, etc. Etc because I really only have those two right now.
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 08:56 PM   #63
QreepyBORIS
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to QreepyBORIS Send a message via MSN to QreepyBORIS

Wholi's a Jew? :O

Quote:
Originally Posted by chardish
Quote:
Originally Posted by QreepyBORIS
Quote:
If you're offended that people assume you celebrate a holiday that you don't, you need to lighten up. Period.
For the thread title it makes sense, as there are Hanukkah presents for Jews, and oodles of Jews on the site. So why not?
Because Christmas has traditionally been a gift-giving holiday and other holidays have only in modern times followed suit. I thought Jews gave gifts during Yom Kippur? Am I wrong?

I object to the usage of Christmas decorations, Christmas songs, Christmas music in commercials, Christmas colors, Christmas trees, Santa Claus, Christmas ornaments, etc. yet the refusal to acknowledge any of those as being related to "Christmas."
Yeah, Yom Kippur is when you don't eat, don't bathe, (traditionally) don't do the double deuce, don't do any fun stuff (sex/otherwise), and other things that rock.

I don't follow it. I love food.

And Christmas only became gift-giving in the early 20th Century, I belive. That's when it Commercialiazed. Yes, other things followed suit later.

But this is like YEARS after it all happened, it's not like Jedaeism et al JUSt caught on, otherwise the Christmas thing WOULD make sense. But since that's not the case, holiday season is nice and general.

Signature subject to change.

THE ZERRRRRG.
QreepyBORIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 09:07 PM   #64
djsmalls
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to djsmalls Send a message via MSN to djsmalls Send a message via Yahoo to djsmalls

i want a IIDX ASC and 6-8th styles
and cant forget either a jap ps2 or a fliptop and swapdisc and such.

if i cant get all of that then i would get a regular IIDX controller and a new graphics card
ati radeon 9800 pro =D

djsmalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 09:09 PM   #65
whorlichan
Tiny Plastic Meat

Send a message via AIM to whorlichan

Qreepy: I'm not just a Jew, I'm THE Jew. I'm also Israeli, which means on Yom Kippur I traditionally go to the beach if it's warm enough, or to the movies (like I did this year with Tass).

Also: a traditional Christmas for many American Jews (at least, 90% of the ones I know) is spent at the movie theater with large boxes of Chinese take-out. Tass will be experiencing this for the first time this year, the poor deprived boy.

I also want a kitten. But I probably won't get one till sometime after my birthday.
My friend Cassie's amazing photography
whorlichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 09:14 PM   #66
Anticrombie0909
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Anticrombie0909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardish
I want people to start calling it "Christmas" instead of pretending it's some sort of dirty word and insisting on "the holidays."

If you're offended that people assume you celebrate a holiday that you don't, you need to lighten up. Period.
Hmm. Interesting. O wai...

Quote:
Originally Posted by In a PM to Chardish regarding a warning, I
Whether or not that guy deserved it (in my opinion he did, but obviously that means jack so I won't bring it up), anybody who gets offended because of an annonymous picture on the internet shouldn't be surfing webpages anyway. A world does exist outside of our comfy, sheltered suburban homes, and if people don't wake up and realize that we're going to have one hell of a succeeding generation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by To which Chardish
You can't excuse any behavior you want under the theory that other people are at fault for being offended by it.
Hypocritical, much? Way to pull a double standard, Chard. Regarding the thread, I didn't care that it was originally for Christmas, but I AM Jewish, a bunch of other people ARE NOT christian or don't celebrate christmas, and you had no right nor provocation to change the title back. Oh, and I dare you to delete this/warn me because you know I'm right.
Anticrombie0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 09:16 PM   #67
stretchypanda
shock me shock me
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to stretchypanda

I just realized I'm getting the best Christmas present evAr:

MY ROOMMATE (the one who trashes the apartment on a regular basis) IS MOVING OUT.

Now she can drive the poor interns she's going to live with absolutely crazy, instead of us. NO MORE STINKY APARTMENT!

A winner is me.
stretchypanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 09:28 PM   #68
eVILPeeR
FFR Player
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to eVILPeeR Send a message via MSN to eVILPeeR

Wtf, Chardish, you're bashing people for calling Christmas something else? Wow. I think it's you whom needs to lighten up.
There's a little something that came about from the Declaration of the Rights of Man way back in the French Revolution on the rise of Napoleon Bonaparte. It's called, Freedom of Speech. I believe I speak for everyone when I say that we can call Christmas whatever we want without your opinion.

Anyways.. what I want? Digital Camera, new computer (jokes that'll never happen), clothes.. good stylish clothing and an MP3 player.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:17 PM   #69
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Umm. Let's not get offtopic.

Christmas is December 25th. If you don't celebrate it, then there's no need to read this topic. It's quite simple. It's not challenging to make another topic for each separate holiday.

No harm, no foul folks. I hope everyone enjoys their holiday breaks.

~Squeek
Old 11-30-2004, 10:26 PM   #70
User6773

Quote:
Originally Posted by eVILPeeR
Wtf, Chardish, you're bashing people for calling Christmas something else?
I'm guessing you're not Christian? Many Christians feel offended that their holiday has been hijacked, homogenized, secularized, and commercialized without our consent.

And in response to what Anticrombie posted, getting offended when I give you the finger and getting offended when I wish you "Merry Christmas" are two very different, almost anathetical ideas. I was hoping you would be intelligent enough to tell the difference.
Old 12-1-2004, 04:53 AM   #71
QreepyBORIS
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to QreepyBORIS Send a message via MSN to QreepyBORIS

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eVILPeeR
Wtf, Chardish, you're bashing people for calling Christmas something else?
I'm guessing you're not Christian? Many Christians feel offended that their holiday has been hijacked, homogenized, secularized, and commercialized without our consent.

WE'RE IN A CAPITALIST COUNTRY.

Might that have to do with the commercialization?

And secularized, America is actually one of the most religious countries in the world, particularly for its size, so just imagine how it would be somewhere else.

Are you imagining?

Okay, you can stop.

And when you said "without our consent", I felt you meant that to mean "without my consent". If the whole country is doing it, it clearly consented to it on a large-scale degree! Am I wrong? Maybe I am, but it doesn't really seem like it to me. But hey, alot of people can't see their own errors.

Besides, you weren't even AROUND when christmas was not commercialized. Like you said, it's been that way a LONG time. Bitter about the past? I guess that's okay.

And if you're guessing all these peple aren't Christian...then the non-Christians outnumber the Christians. So having a Christmas-Specific thread sounds...dumb. It does anyway. Do you see all of the Jewish people saying "oh, where's our Hanukkah thread"? Not thus far.

And thepoint is, if Christmas and all these other holidays are now stricty about gift giving more that religion, this thread is some nice common ground.

Besides, having separate threads clutters the forums.

Signature subject to change.

THE ZERRRRRG.
QreepyBORIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-1-2004, 05:56 AM   #72
Anticrombie0909
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Anticrombie0909

Quote:
Well, then by your own definition, it's their fault that they haven't gotten with the program, jumped on the bandwagon and helped in the commercialization process. Period.

Quote:
And in response to what Anticrombie posted, getting offended when I give you the finger and getting offended when I wish you "Merry Christmas" are two very different, almost anathetical ideas.
Watch how much it doesn't matter. What if you tried to baptize me? That wouldn't offend you, either- if you were a baptist. But to a hardcore Islamic extremist, saying 'Merry Christmas' might be as bad as flipping the bird, partly for reasons you stated yourself.

Freedom of speech is such a giant issue in America, that all newspapers have to do when the lawsuits start creeping up is scream it and be instantly cleared (Fox, anyone?). But that extends to religion and everything else. If I make a new religion that involves flipping people off when I see them, I have every right to do so. Would the Christians scream? Probably. But they are, like Qreepy said, a MINORITY. Why they govern our country is completely beyond me, since we're supposed to seperate church and state, but that's a different issue.

The issue isn't about whether I'm offended at the title, because you know as well as I do that I could care less. My whole point is that I can get offended at whatever I damn well please, and so can everyone else- that's why we have lawyers. But on the forums, all we have is common sense and the mods- you guys. And while you generally do a great job, "Do as I say, not as I do" is not a great policy to preach, regardless of whether you're technically 'allowed' to (and yes, I know this isn't a democracy, don't bother throwing that in my face). So it's one or the other, Chard- Democracy and free speech for all, or hypocrisy.
Anticrombie0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-1-2004, 07:31 AM   #73
User6773

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticrombie0909
Watch how much it doesn't matter. What if you tried to baptize me? That wouldn't offend you, either- if you were a baptist. But to a hardcore Islamic extremist, saying 'Merry Christmas' might be as bad as flipping the bird, partly for reasons you stated yourself.
This is known as "part for the whole," and it is a logical fallacy where you take a very small fraction of a percent of the population and use them to justify or support beliefs about the whole population. I'm sure someone might be offended by "good morning," as well, but that doesn't mean we should work ourselves into a hissy fit about what's offensive to some and what's not.

Giving someone the finger is almost universally recognized in the States as being an offensive action that is intended to express feelings of anger, hatred, or contempt. Saying "Merry Christmas" is exactly the opposite. I was hoping you wouldn't be too dense to see the distinction, but it would appear that in your mind, parallels can be drawn between any two concepts, no matter how divorced they are from each other.

Quote:
Freedom of speech is such a giant issue in America, that all newspapers have to do when the lawsuits start creeping up is scream it and be instantly cleared (Fox, anyone?). But that extends to religion and everything else. If I make a new religion that involves flipping people off when I see them, I have every right to do so.
And the cops have every right to throw you in the slammer for creating a public disturbance by offending people, and rightly so. You can't do anything you want under the guise of religion in this country. You know that.

I don't think that people have a right to not be offended, but I do think that people have a right not to have to deal with people trying to cause disturbances.

Quote:
Would the Christians scream? Probably. But they are, like Qreepy said, a MINORITY.
You are unaware that, by most recent census figures, 80% of this country identifies itself as Christian?

Quote:
Why they govern our country is completely beyond me, since we're supposed to seperate church and state, but that's a different issue.
So we're not allowed to elect officials who are religious? Wouldn't that, in fact, force the creation of an atheist state? Of course, such a place is probably a paradise for you and your ilk, many of whom do not appreciate freedom of religion but rather are repulsed by it.

Besides, we're not talking about government, we're talking about society.

Quote:
My whole point is that I can get offended at whatever I damn well please, and so can everyone else- that's why we have lawyers. But on the forums, all we have is common sense and the mods- you guys.
And my whole point is that what you get offended by doesn't dictate what others do. It's what the majority of people get offended by - and, as I mentioned earlier, 80% of the country definitely wouldn't be offended if you wished them a "Merry Christmas," and probably a lot of the other 20% is ambivalent.

Quote:
So it's one or the other, Chard- Democracy and free speech for all, or hypocrisy.
This sentence exists completely disconnected from the rest of your thesis. This has nothing to do with "democracy" at all. In fact, by some of your comments about Christian legislators, you appear to decry the idea of democracy.
Old 12-1-2004, 07:34 AM   #74
Snapps
NO DOUBT GET LOUD
FFR Simfile Author

This belongs in CT XD.

And omg im a citizen on Israei (do you get the irony? i bet you dont)
Snapps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-1-2004, 09:17 AM   #75
dancer
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to dancer Send a message via MSN to dancer Send a message via Skype™ to dancer

Ok to be completely serious i want a cell phone and an ipod cause a cd player is finally not cutting it i hate burning a ton of cds only to listen to one at a time
Old 12-1-2004, 10:54 AM   #76
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

... iPOD = waste of money.

Get an MP3 CD Player. Burn data CDs and you get roughly 300-500 songs per CD. CD-RWs work as well. Best part is that the player is only 25-50 bucks.

~Squeek
Old 12-1-2004, 10:55 AM   #77
lightdarkness
Summer!!
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to lightdarkness Send a message via MSN to lightdarkness Send a message via Yahoo to lightdarkness Send a message via Skype™ to lightdarkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrESqueek

Get an MP3 CD Player. Burn data CDs and you get roughly 300-500 songs per CD. CD-RWs work as well. Best part is that the player is only 25-50 bucks.

~Squeek
Yea, my CD player has MP3's. Never use it though
Old 12-1-2004, 12:55 PM   #78
User6773

My CD player has MP3 capability, and I don't use it as much as I should. It is a lot of effort to rip, catalog, and re-burn your MP3s onto MP3 CDs. I want an Ipod.
Old 12-1-2004, 01:04 PM   #79
dancer
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to dancer Send a message via MSN to dancer Send a message via Skype™ to dancer

say if u have a mp3 cd can u just continue to add song after song after song or do u have to create a new one
besides that i just want one central hub for all my songs to go instead of worrying about how many minutes are left on my cd
(which is why i want one)
Old 12-1-2004, 09:22 PM   #80
banditcom
FFR Player

Send a message via ICQ to banditcom Send a message via AIM to banditcom Send a message via Yahoo to banditcom Send a message via Skype™ to banditcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrESqueek

~Squeek
ipod isn't a waste when you get it free...
banditcom is offline   Reply With Quote