Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Films and Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2006, 02:25 AM   #21
Snowcrafta
V's beta-male entourage

Send a message via AIM to Snowcrafta
Default Re: what's your favorite anime?

I'm terribly bored, so I'll go through and explain each genre and my favorite.

Best Drama: Kimi ga Nozomu Eien.
-Runner up: Gunslinger Girl

Hands down this drama was incredible. What started off as a light, fluffy high school romance quickly turned into one of the most depressing, heart wrenching things I've ever seen. Torn apart on weather or not to like or hate a character happened nearly every episode, and I never felt so toyed with upon completing it. Everything about KimiNozo just blew me away, and I was never so shocked at an anime in my life. This is easily the most serious anime I've ever seen, as the only 'comedy' that would come up was with two girls working at a restaurant, and I never laughed much at them anyways. I was so torn through this whole series that I was ready to cry during several moments. This was also watched in one sitting, and I'd advise everyone who takes the time to watch it to only do a few episodes at a time. It's just too heartbreaking if you watch it all at once.

I also have this as my #1 favorite anime ever.

Best Harem (Many girls, 1 guy): Shuffle!
- Runner up: Love Hina

Shuffle! was just incredible as a harem, a drama, and a comedy. As a harem, I just simply like harems. They're funny, fluffy, and usually have a cheesy love-romance plot to them that I just drool over. 5 gorgeous girls in love with one guy, and I thought it was pretty obvious who the winner was going to be just by following the rules that the childhood friend always wins, hands down. Of course, Shuffle! did indeed change that for me, which was a pleasant surprise. This show was fair to all the girls in respects that they all got their share of screentime, and it was fairly hazy who would come out on top (or bottom, I've seen the H-game art) for a good portion of the show, and when there was a fairly clear victor I was still unsure if she'd win. Of course, Shuffle! is debatable among those whom I speak of anime with. I loved the resolution episode where the winner was unmasked, and everyone else who saw it at the time I did were all heavily disappointed. I didn't care, because I was too in love with the show to care.

Best Love/Romance: Eureka seveN
- Runner up: Onegai Twins/Teacher
I know, I know. Eureka seveN is a mech show, correct? As one view, yes. However, after the whole mech thrill is over, the second half of the series is some serious relationship building between two couples that play out just beautifully. I can say I was sincerely surprised when I saw it as a relationship and love story over extremely stylish mech fights. So mech anticipation kept teasing me in scenes with Renton and Eureka that it just drove me nuts at times. This anime took their time to fully develop the two couples rather than skip to the stuff I melt over early on. I was pleased with the Eureka – Renton relationship, but the Anemone and Dominic one played out much more dramatically, and I felt so in love with the episode when it was all revealed. This also counters a bad habit of mine, which is once someone is bad I can't stand them and shun them away (a la Nanoha A's), with the whole Anemone thing. However, I just simply loved Anemone because I got to see her grow and realize feeling which is something I melt for in anime.

Best Action: Samurai Champloo
- Runner ups: Eureka seveN, Gunslinger Girl.
Samurai Champloo from the very first episode is an edge-of-you-seat thrill ride. Near every episode has extremely well designed and delivered action scenes, and a nice spice because there were two styles of sword swinging being shown – the professional, proper style of Jin's, and the sloppy, hip-hop style of Mugen's. Being drawn on a journy by a random girl they picked up on the first episode to find a samurai that smells of sunflowers, I was treated to an excellent story, which included some light romance, assassins, humorous plots, and even a taste of horror. Throughout this all, however, the sword fights never got old. I ate them up like a fat kid would twinkies, and always got a rush out of them. As a bonus to the mix, this anime also has one of the best endings I've ever seen, which is quite the accomplishment. Most anime tends to only have sub-par endings because they are too rushed or just plain awful, but this one actually had a logical ending that left me say: What? Wow.

Best Magical Girl: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha & Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's
- Runner up: Card Captor Sakura
I admit it; I downloaded this anime simply because Kefit sent me the OP theme. It's cheesy, but it is the truth. Innocent Starter was just too beautiful, and I couldn't resist after he said the show was alright. Like most fantasy anime, it starts off hard to follow with a confusing plot. However, this show quickly sorted itself out, and by the third episode everything made sense. Starting off as a typical Magical Girl show, I was entranced by it simply because I don't see major fantasy anime often. It was fun to watch Nanoha find and attack random enemies, and her limit breaks, per say, were just awesome. Although I will admit I fell victim to 'I hate the antagonist' which happens to me often, I quickly found myself falling in love with Fate, Nanoha's rival. By the end, however, I loved Fate and was eagerly awaiting Nanoha A's.

Nanoha A's was just awesome all around, even though I once again fell for 'I hate the antagonists'. I simply couldn't deal with the Cloud Knights at all. It was, however, a good chance for me to get my fill of Fate + Nanoha magical attack limit break omg awesome. I ate those up like ice cream on a hot summer day, and was thrilled every timethey got screen time. This show could be a nice competition with Samurai Champloo when it came to action scenes, but unlike Champloo, this also had a fair ammount of drama. Overall, this was just a nice ride the whole time, and it actually sparked some deep emotions in me, which resulted in 15 minute debate about why I hated the antagonists so much. I still have the conversation saved as well :P

Best Comedy: Dokuro-chan
- Runner ups: Green Green TV, 2x2=Shinobuden.
Wow. I don't care what people say, this anime was brilliant. Massive slapstick humor, blood and guts that left me in stitches, and a legendary opening song that, when translated, has the best lyrics ever written to a song. Ever. Although this anime was short, it was with no doubt a golden moment in my anime career. Everything dealing with this strange angel never ceased to make me laugh. For some reason, this anime managed to do the SAME FREAKING THING several times an episode during its whole duration, and it busted me up in laughter so badly that I was forced to pause this show on several occasions, and even managed a legendary ROFL during one moment. Anyone who didn't like this comedy said the humor in it was stupid or overdone, but taking into account it lasted all of two hours, it's impossible to say that Dokuro chan was overdone or repetitive.

Best Horror/suspense: Higurashi no Naku Koro ni.
- Runner up: Elfen Lied
The opening 10 seconds of this anime and you already know what you're in for. You are treated to a pleasant scene of a silhouette holding a club of some sort swinging at two bodies on the ground that is complimented by blood splattering on the floor and walls with a nice melody of bones crunching under the power of the bat. Cue the spooky opening theme song, which sets the mood of the series quite well. After a fluffy first episode, I was treated to one of the greatest games of mind-trickery I've ever gotten to enjoy. I've had my mind played with so much for only 11 episodes that have aired it drove me nuts. Eerie, suspenseful atmospheres compliment the equally as creepy characters which even I grew frightened of. As if being frightened of every character in the story wasn't enough, the story keeps restarting every 4 or 5 episodes, depending on the arc, meaning that all characters come back to life and everything plays out as if what you just saw didn't happen at all. This is also the only anime... no, the only non-real life thing to ever make me panic. The end of the eighth episode shocked me so bad that I actually had a pseudo panic attack that left me breathing in a paper bag for almost 15 minutes.

Last edited by Snowcrafta; 06-22-2006 at 02:28 AM..
Snowcrafta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 02:56 AM   #22
Kefit
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Kefit

I don't like to give numeric ratings or to order my favorites, but I will present a few in no particular order (along with favorite character from each):

Eureka Seven - The relationships, characters, and setting were simply superb. The only real weakness is in plot progression pacing, but that is rather unimportant due to the excellent pacing of each individual episode. ps Episode 48 is incredibly godly to infinity and beyond. Favorite character: Anemone.

Mai~HiME - Awesome, awesome characters that the show endears one to in nicely comical first half, and then throws into incredibly well crafted drama in the second. Shiho <3<3, even if the rest of the internet hates her. Episode 20 is incredibly godly to infinity and beyond. Favorite character: Shiho

Figure 17 - Excellently crafted slice of life series featuring some of the best character development I have ever seen. The plot is kind of weak, but that doesnt't really matter. Culminates in one of my favorite anime endings ever. Favorite character: this is a toughy, but I guess Hikaru

Alien Nine - The characters in this series go through lots of horrible, crazy things, but the entire time they simply ooze with emotion and humanity. It develops into an incredible ride of tension and drama, but never loses its heart. The anime ends at an incredibly odd spot, but the manga fixes that problem and provides a fully enclosed tale (which leaving room for more - ya, I can dream >_>). Favorite character: Yuri

Pita Ten - Anime is alright, but the manga is awesome. Koge Donbo crafts some wonderfully emotional scenes, and the ending has to be seen to be believed. Favorite character: Misha

Jubei-chan - Season one is fun with awesome sword battles and some nice drama at the end. Season two is godly with godly sword battles and fantastic drama throughout. Both seasons are hampered by awkward, out of place humor at times, but not enough to have much of an effect on the series as a whole. Favorite character: Freasha

Magical Project S - One of my old favorites. Some hilarious parodies, and a real heart behind the characters. Episodes 19 and 20 are simply wonderful. Favorite character: Misao/Pixy Misa

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's - Season one was mediocre punctuated by awesomeness. A's is awesometastic the entire way through, and at times jumps to godly (hi episode 9 and 11). There really ought to be more hardcore fighting magical girl shows. And more Vita. The world needs more Vita. Favorite character: VITACHAN

Da Capo - Mediocre first half that is mostly comedic fluff. Some of the best drama I have ever seen in the second half, with one of my favorite love triangle resolutions ever. Think of the situation with Asa and Kaede in Shuffle!, and then give it a proper conclusion. Godliness, of course, ensues. Also has what is likely my favorite overall harem ever. Favorite character: Nemu

FLCL - Craziness punctuated by craziness. But it is cohesive and self-contained, and it has heart. I like shows with heart, in case you haven't noticed. Favorite character: Eri

There are other shows I like a lot, but I don't feel like writing anymore, so that is all for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seinno
and also thank you everone for clearing it up for me I will try to start using my two hands iv tried quit a bit i put my left hand index and middle finger middle finger is on the up arrow index on on left arrow and right hand i use my index for the down button and middle for the right button does that seem weird?
Kefit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 03:04 AM   #23
Snowcrafta
V's beta-male entourage

Send a message via AIM to Snowcrafta

Think of the situation with Asa and Kaede in Shuffle!, and then give it a proper conclusion

Oh, and 18-21 didn't have a proper conclusion?

Old 06-22-2006, 03:25 AM   #24
Gano
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Gano Send a message via MSN to Gano Send a message via Skype™ to Gano

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrESqueek
Great Teacher Onizuka (TV) Masterpiece
I'm surprised to hear that someone else has seen GTO let alone loved it, awesome.
Impressive list by the way

doraemon bustin caps
Gano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 10:52 AM   #25
Animefreak999
FFR Player

i lke FLCL because of the randomness
The uncut versions of naruto because of the acton
i pretty much like all the anime shows on adult swim and toonami
ummmmmmm.......i have the anime network so i watch that alot
gravitation is weird because almost everyones gay
ummmmmmmmmm i just love anime altogether
maybe thats why im animefreak999?

Animefreak999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 11:18 AM   #26
Chromer
Hookers and Blow
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Chromer Send a message via Yahoo to Chromer

Oh boy here comes Chromer. I have many favorites both stand alone and series. Here's a few.

Galaxy Express 999 - Do I need to say more?

Love Hina - One of the best Harem anime you can find today. The Japanese and Englsih casts were both professionally done and the animation team did a very good job translating the manga to the anime. However, what I was not pleased was with the almost little involvement of the manga to the anime. The scene where Kistune, Motoko, and Mutsume hijack Ken Akamatsu's boat to find Keitaro makes up for it. ^_^

FLCL - Randomness + Style = awesomeness. FLCL just oozes coolness from the opening scene to the final credits. The story is well contained withing the life of a young boy and shows that it's all right to be a kid and let adults handle things themselves.

Onegai Teacher - I'm a huge sucker for romances and this one takes the cake for me. Comedy and Drama collide in a big way in this anime. The animation is superb and the English dubbing is nice as well. The OT and ET of this series is amazingly beautiful as well as the OST itself.

Lunar Legend Tsukihime - I wonder why I picked this one. The animation is wonderful to start and it has one of the most original stories I've seen in an anime for a long time. Meh, I liked it.

Neon Genesis Evangelion: End of Evangelion - Death. The Joy of Rebirth. The ending to one of the greatest anime series of all time. I STILL have not seen an anime that did the end of the world as well as EoE did. Good job.

Saikano - This anime leaves me depressed everytime I see it. Death upon death is the order of the day in this drama/romance series about love during war. I guess the emotional attachment you receive when watching the anime makes it so special.

Golden Boy - Comedy at it's best. The mishaps of a college genius wandering Japan on a mountain bike seems like a good idea when Golden Boy does it as well as they did. Also, make sure to watch the "Bike vs. Motorcycle" scene. That could be the greatest chase scene in all of anime history.

Akira - Ah, my very first anime. Take an already great manga, translate it into animation and what do you have? A movie still regarded as one of the best anime movies of all time.

I have many more but that was just the tip of the onigiri, so to speak. Also, Squeek, WHY HAVEN'T YOU FINISHED BLUE GENDER? SHAME ON YOU. =(
Old 06-22-2006, 11:22 AM   #27
Animefreak999
FFR Player

dude akira was awsome because it was violentand creepy, especially with the part with bears in his hospital room

Old 06-22-2006, 11:32 AM   #28
YouAreAwsome
FFR Player

its way too many to name like over 100 diffrent ones, seen every ep. and movie to them
YouAreAwsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 11:37 AM   #29
Animefreak999
FFR Player

same here too many i like to name because its a BIG number

Old 06-22-2006, 12:05 PM   #30
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogy
Ghost in the Shell is horrible.

PS: Squeek, I'm surprised you even tried to watch Boogiepop Phantom. It's not something someone who likes linear, traditional plotlines like you would enjoy at all.
I got about halfway through episode one and realized it wasn't the anime for me.

All of my other "dropped" animes, with the exception of Crest of the Stars, were at least halfway over by the time I decided they sucked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youareawesome
its way too many to name like over 100 diffrent ones, seen every ep. and movie to them
Use AnimeNewsNetwork's "My Anime" services. They keep logs of what you've seen and how much you liked it.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/MyAnime/

I don't even think I managed to put every show I've seen on that list.

~Squeek

Last edited by Squeek; 06-22-2006 at 12:08 PM..
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 12:36 PM   #31
tsutter
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to tsutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowcrafta
Think of the situation with Asa and Kaede in Shuffle!, and then give it a proper conclusion

Oh, and 18-21 didn't have a proper conclusion?

No, they didn't. >_>

I guess I'll add more. brb jockin kefits style

Eureka seveN: this show is the first anime that had me in tears (sup 49 ending), and believe you me that says something. Watching the relationships between the characters come to fruition is simply one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen in any fiction, be it anime or not. ps 48 rules you

Mai-HiME: battle royale series' have always held my interest quite a bit, but battle royales with an awesome plot and lovable characters? Even better! Not to mention the amazing death scenes. ps episode 20 rules you

Cowboy Bebop: yeah yeah shut up. This is the series that originally got me into anime, when a friend told me to catch it on Adult Swim back in '00 or '01. All the characters are too ****ing badass to not love, and "Bang" will be engraved in my memory forever.

Bokusatsu Tenshii Dokuro-chan: Christ, pulling an all-nighter while downloading this and watching it at 7-8 AM with Reishiro is perhaps the funniest time I've ever had on the internet. No other comedy I've seen has even come close to making me cry laughing as many times as this one did.

Figure 17: characterful series that is directed incredibly well, dividing slice of life with (sub-par, as Kefit said) plot, reaching one of most awesome endings I've ever seen.

Elfen Lied: as much as I love this series, I've never been able to fully explain why. I had this weird connection to the main characters that I can't fully grasp, and episode 13 is just beyond all scopes of awesome.

Nothing else is coming to mind right now, so..

vicarious
[02:02:16] <Hayden> i carry the plastic i make it spastic when i put it in ya moms ass boy her **** is elastic when im finished in knee that slut in the jaw snap her back in to pieces i lay down the law cuz i gots no respect fo that ***** elixers **** seeing as he got double dick ****ed on dust 2 by an ingram at long A in pit

Last edited by tsutter; 06-22-2006 at 12:38 PM..
tsutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 01:53 PM   #32
Suzuru
FFR Player

Ghost in the Shell 1st and 2nd

Black Lagoon

Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu

Elfen Lied

Higurashi no naku koro ni

Get Backers

and many more ;p

Last edited by Suzuru; 06-22-2006 at 03:05 PM..
Suzuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 02:03 PM   #33
Chromer
Hookers and Blow
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Chromer Send a message via Yahoo to Chromer

The Get Backers anime is more comedic than the actual manga IMO. Meh it might just be me.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:12 PM   #34
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to GuidoHunter Send a message via Skype™ to GuidoHunter

The Irresponsible Captain Tylor
Saber Marionette
Trigun
His and Her Circumstances
Eva

It's too bad Elfen Lied had such shallow characters, because it did everything else so well.

--Guido

http://andy.mikee385.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
Sentences I thought I never would have to type.
GuidoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 02:33 PM   #35
YouAreAwsome
FFR Player

out of your list i like eva the most(rei)
YouAreAwsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 07:15 PM   #36
SethSquall
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to SethSquall

Not in order of favourite. I wouldn't be able to deside. Favourite characters are next to the anime otherwise I can't deside.

The Melancholy of Haruhi (Haruhi)
Utawarerumono (Archer twins and main guy)
Fate/Stay night (Saber and llya)
Ouran High School Host club (The prince)
Full Metal Alchemist (The brothers)
Cowboy Bebop (Spike and Vicious)
Love Hina
Samurai Champloo (Mugen)
Naruto (kakashi, Rock lee, Guy sensei and Garaa)
Paranoia Agent (lil Slugger)
Star Ocean
Peacemaker
Hellsing (Seras, Alucard and Walter)
Trigun (Vash, Bluesummers and The Preist)
Card Captor Sakura. (Sakura)

I have seen quite abit more but not nearly as much as Squeek and others. I would love to see all of them like most people. I know most there are mainstream but in Wales mainstream anime is all you'll get. Even then its limited to Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Ninja scroll etc. Ive started downloading more now I have a better connection, although its just a 1 meg. So not much downloading.

Last edited by SethSquall; 06-22-2006 at 07:38 PM..
SethSquall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 07:17 PM   #37
foolface06
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to foolface06 Send a message via Yahoo to foolface06

DBZ-- Vegeta
Pokemon-- James (from team rocket)
Sailor Moon-- Sailor Uranus
Case Closed-- Little Boy
Inuyasha-- Sesshomaru
Yu-Gi-Oh-- Caiba, Bakura
Full Metal Alchemist-- Izumi
Bo-Bo-Bo-Bo-Bo-Bo-Bo-- Don Patch
Zatch Bell-- Victoream
Spirited Away-- No Face

Am I 17?
--------------------------------------------------

All of that, and more, next time, on STFU!
foolface06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 07:29 PM   #38
vashthestampede0987
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to vashthestampede0987

Christ...I haven't watched Get Backers in ages. I need to go back to the Philippines and go get some pirated episodes. rofl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthlight
I hate myself.

Cheers,

Synthlight
xxpla tonic love: GIVE IT TO ME
xxpla tonic love: ****ing give it to me
vashthestampede0987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 07:37 PM   #39
YungYung
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to YungYung Send a message via MSN to YungYung