Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Films and Television

View Poll Results: What is your favorite kind of metal?
Black Metal 5 6.76%
Death Metal 16 21.62%
Thrash Metal 3 4.05%
Speed Metal 9 12.16%
Heavy Metal 9 12.16%
Power Metal 13 17.57%
Stoner Metal 0 0%
Nu Metal 4 5.41%
Metalcore 13 17.57%
Avant-Garde Metal 2 2.70%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-23-2008, 07:29 AM   #81
TheRapingDragon
A car crash mind
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Let's take a Metal Poll...

Quote:
I've always been a little baffled by how many "sub-genres" of music there are, and why anyone in particular cares whether a song/band is progressive or alternative or avant-garde whatever >_>
The only reason I can think of is when trying to find similar bands to the one you like.

If all metal was classed as "metal" then if you enjoyed Dream Theater someone could recommend Bloodbath as a similar artist you may enjoy, they're both metal after all. By having genres you can break down specifically what you enjoy and find similar bands quicker.
TheRapingDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:08 AM   #82
FluorescentArmy
Forum User

Send a message via AIM to FluorescentArmy Send a message via Yahoo to FluorescentArmy
Default Re: Let's take a Metal Poll...

Hmm. From that list it's either black metal or death metal. It just really depends which era you're talking about. I prefer older black metal from the 90's. Then again, I also prefer older death metal to newer stuff. My overall favorite metal "genre" is technical death metal. Spawn of Possession is just too good to deny.

RapingDragon has a point. If every style of metal was labeled as just metal you'd most likely end up not getting what you wanted. He gave a rather fine example as well. You could get Dream Theater, a progressive metal band that has rather epic song lengths and a discography that changes sounds quite often. (No Systematic Chaos PLEASE). Bloodbath on the other hand, wow I love Bloodbath. Now if you were looking for something like Dream Theater and you got Bloodbath you'd be bewildered. Mike's vocals are brutal as hell as is the riffage and drumming. They're completely different than Dream Theater. Although I don't support listening to music because it is of a specific genre, I do support labeling music with genres because it makes it easier to find and get what you want without any damned hassle.