Old 05-13-2009, 10:44 AM   #1
g3nesis
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to g3nesis
Default So I'm going spread..

But it seems to be a hassle. I've played almost 6,000 games 1 handed and I'm having a hardtime with it. Is it just a repetitive thing? My hands keep trying to tap like I'm playing 1 handed.

Also, is it just a preference thing when it comes to the key setup? Like I'm using S K as my up/down and 2/3 on numpad as my left/right.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:51 AM   #2
StepmaniaGod6969
3 Fingers
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to StepmaniaGod6969
Default Re: So I'm going spread..

good luck dude i've been tryin to learn spread for a while but im so used to the way i play now that i suck at it.

StepmaniaGod6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:02 AM   #3
sp1nzoK
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to sp1nzoK

Stylechanges won't feel comfortable overnight.

Most spread players use key-setup that let's you roll over it in the same order that arrows go. I use A (left, left middle) S (down, left index) L (up, right index) Ö (right, right middle), basically ASKL (very popular spread setup) but one step to the right. So use something like for example ASKL | AS56 | ZX.- | QWOP
sp1nzoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:07 AM   #4
g3nesis
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp1nzoK View Post
Stylechanges won't feel comfortable overnight.

Most spread players use key-setup that let's you roll over it in the same order that arrows go. I use A (left, left middle) S (down, left index) L (up, right index) Ö (right, right middle), basically ASKL (very popular spread setup) but one step to the right. So use something like for example ASKL | AS56 | ZX.- | QWOP
So are you saying that your way is the most efficient basically?
Old 05-13-2009, 11:08 AM   #5
g3nesis
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepmaniaGod6969 View Post
good luck dude i've been tryin to learn spread for a while but im so used to the way i play now that i suck at it.
Yeah I pretty much feel the same. I'm just not fast enough one handed like some of you guys are to be able to play the better songs. It gets frustrating and not much fun for me
Old 05-13-2009, 11:34 AM   #6
sp1nzoK
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3nesis View Post
So are you saying that your way is the most efficient basically?
Yes, for the finger order, the actual buttons can be anywhere aslong as you can press them together and all of them register (hitting a quad).
Old 05-13-2009, 11:55 AM   #7
g3nesis
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp1nzoK View Post
Yes, for the finger order, the actual buttons can be anywhere aslong as you can press them together and all of them register (hitting a quad).
You got any mental tricks? Because both of my hands like to think they are playing 1 handed when like a left arrow and down arrow come up. If that makes sense to you?
Old 05-13-2009, 12:02 PM   #8
StepmaniaGod6969
3 Fingers
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to StepmaniaGod6969

Quote:
Yeah I pretty much feel the same. I'm just not fast enough one handed like some of you guys are to be able to play the better songs. It gets frustrating and not much fun for me
I'm not 1 handed I use 2 hands. Why does everyone think I use 1 hand?

StepmaniaGod6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:03 PM   #9
Gun92
The Paragon of Perfection
FFR Veteran

I remember when I switched from the arrow keys to qwop, it took my like a month for that to even feel natural. I think everything that deals with FFR is personal preference. Thats why there are so many different styles of play floating around. I've found that so long as I'm having fun, I'm usually getting better. As for the mental thing, the only thing I can think of is practice. Go back and force yourself to do the easy songs, re-teach your brain how to play, if that makes any sense.
Gun92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:05 PM   #10
sp1nzoK
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
You got any mental tricks? Because both of my hands like to think they are playing 1 handed when like a left arrow and down arrow come up. If that makes sense to you?
Just think the left "side" is for left hand and the "right" side is for right hand, experiment with your fingers, hit stuff with your fingers, don't care about accuracy or speed yet, just get it to work and gradually improve.

Also you won't feel natural about it today, maybe after some days you'll start to feel more natural with it.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:18 AM   #11
Prime8
Awwwwwww!
FFR Veteran

One thing that I think helped me make the switch from 3-finger to spread was that I was constantly tapping on things throughout the day as if I was playing spread. Like sitting in class or when I'm just watching TV or basically anything. You can try working on one-hand trills or rolls or running men or jacks etc. You might get some strange looks from people, but I think it helps lol.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:39 PM   #12
Card Man
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

I am one-handed and switching for me is just impossible. I have been playing too long this way to change. I just keep playing one hand and just have fun with it. I don't care about playing Guru songs. Anything else is a nice challenge for me and as I said before; whatever you do; have fun with it. If you are not having fun; then playing that style is just dumb.

Card Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:26 PM   #13
Lord_of_Bobz
FFR Player

Well i used to play 2 handed... and i switched to spread which was a big help for me...
i use ASKL and i just played easy songs... like NES eye of the tiger was a good learner for me... and i played that until i FCed it then i moved up a level until i FCed that and kept going to harder songs... til i got to where i was and then i just started having fun again... but it took about two weeks before i got used to it and stopped playing like i was using 2 hands... yah it sucks at first but its worth it in the long run (if ur in it for the skill) but like others said have fun with it... if its too much work for you than dont bother with it... U'll be good at whatever style you play just takes more practice
Old 05-15-2009, 10:36 PM   #14
soxowner32
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to soxowner32 Send a message via MSN to soxowner32 Send a message via Skype™ to soxowner32

I switched from one handed to spread a few months back. :/ I've gone through a few setups but stuck with DFHJ. Lol. Kind of an awkward setup but it works for me. You mostly just need to play around with it and see what works best for you. Not much else I can tell you to do. x.x
Old 05-15-2009, 11:13 PM   #15
tofurox
Them arrows.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to tofurox

I beez going spread (from index) for the past forever now. I am almost good enough with spread to AAA Etude To A Dragon, and do well on other songs. It's hard to change. Practice makes perfect. I still play index for certain songs (aka Vertex Beta), but some need spread.

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.

This sig has been enhanced by the FFR Staff for being too large. Thank you for participating.
tofurox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:18 PM   #16
Redorigami
Call me Massive Swallow
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Redorigami Send a message via MSN to Redorigami Send a message via Yahoo to Redorigami

No one successfully switches from one hand to spread oops
Quote:
Originally Posted by spreadNv View Post
Got dibs on La Camp.
Oh right, Im not any good.
Got dibs on Pita.
Redorigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:22 PM   #17
leonid
I am leonid
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redorigami View Post
No one successfully switches from one hand to spread oops

One hand for 3 years => Split for 3 years => Spread

That's me.

Proud member of Team No
leonid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:30 PM   #18
Redorigami
Call me Massive Swallow
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Redorigami Send a message via MSN to Redorigami Send a message via Yahoo to Redorigami

Lol you guys
Quote:
Originally Posted by spreadNv View Post
Got dibs on La Camp.
Oh right, Im not any good.
Got dibs on Pita.
Redorigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:37 PM   #19
TheNamesH
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Hmm if your playing stepmania try A, S, Up, And down But also map the rest as 1 handers. While playing a song in stepmania just play one hander and switch to spread on some hard parts.. Been a spread player for 3 weeks now, and it seems to work

First Place Beginner division
Phynx unofficial tourney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthlight View Post
Play with it, touch it, feel it and talk to me about it in the morning.

Cheers,

Synthlight
TheNamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 12:18 AM   #20
Gilly G
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

I played index for nearly one year, during which I attempted to switch to spread twice. The first attempt failed because of frustration. The second attempt (which happened to be 3 months later) was a bit better, I stuck to it, improved quickly, and it became natural very quickly.

The only tips I can give are stick to it no matter what, it may seem very awkward at first, you may make mistakes, but you will adapt with time. It will take some people more or less time, but you will improve if you stick to it.

At the very beginning, play songs with one arrow at a time, maybe a few jumps here and there, maybe try extremely slow stream, keep it very simple at first. You'll have trouble adapting to a new playing style if you start too difficult too quickly because too many arrows will come at once and your brain will work on reflexes, and so you will either play with your original style (which won't work in your spread position), or have a moment's hesitation where you don't know what to press at all.

With this said, if you want to improve, you must practice. It won't come immediately, it will come gradually. Start simple, and VERY slowly go up. Even if you could AAA guru songs one-handed, you must start with beginner songs in spread.

Good luck!

EDIT - I won't give you many tips for hand position because that is to decide for yourself. Although if you want to play spread correctly, you must use both index and middle fingers, and I recommend both keys be directly next to each other, and not in a diagonal otherwise your arm may be in an awkward position (eg. On the numpad, don't use 8 and 6 for up and right, use 8 and 9). But this is not for me to decide, it is entirely up to you. You choose which keys you want to use based on what makes you feel the most comfortable.

Last edited by Gilly G; 05-16-2009 at 12:21 AM..
Gilly G is offline   Reply With Quote