Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution: Community Forums > General Discussion > Chit Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2014, 07:55 PM   #81
igotrhythm
Fractals!
FFR Veteran
 
igotrhythm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Meesheegan
Age: 35
Posts: 6,533
Send a message via Skype™ to igotrhythm
Default Re: UK Bans Teaching Creationism in State-Funded Schools Read

Is this just fantasy?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesunfan View Post
I literally spent 10 minutes in the library looking for the TWG forum on Smogon and couldn't find it what the fuck is this witchcraft IGR
igotrhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:59 PM   #82
Nullifidian
\_(ツ)_/
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran
 
Nullifidian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Age: 30
Posts: 1,818
Default Re: UK Bans Teaching Creationism in State-Funded Schools Read

__________________
Nullifidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:35 PM   #83
qqwref
stepmania archaeologist
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran
 
qqwref's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Age: 30
Posts: 4,079
Send a message via AIM to qqwref Send a message via Skype™ to qqwref
Default Re: UK Bans Teaching Creationism in State-Funded Schools Read

Quote:
Originally Posted by _.Spitfire._ View Post
Sick but yet they can teach evaluation Which has no scientific backing as well. They are both just theory s if you want to look at it from a "scientific" point of veiw.
I hope everyone who posts stuff like this is joking because

wow
__________________
Stepmania Song Search - 1518 packs and counting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimerax View Post
Repeating, please no retarded files that aren't even going with the song
qqwref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:45 PM   #84
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran
 
devonin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Age: 36
Posts: 10,098
Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin
Default Re: UK Bans Teaching Creationism in State-Funded Schools Read

Rubix, stay strong. I know you can do it.
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:20 PM   #85
iCeCuBEz v2
XFD
FFR Veteran
 
iCeCuBEz v2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Connecticut
Age: 29
Posts: 4,911
Default Re: UK Bans Teaching Creationism in State-Funded Schools Read

lol that this is even like........... a debate

what is there to even teach creationism.........

chapter 1: god did it
chapter 2: .......
__________________
I bring my math homework to church. It helps me find a higher power.

Dennis, Nell, Edna, Leon, Nedra, Anita, Rolf, Nora, Alice, Carol, Leo, Jane, Reed, Dena, Dale, Basil, Rae, Penny, Lana, Dave, Denny, Lena, Ida, Bernadette, Ben, Ray, Lila, Nina, Jo, Ira, Mara, Sara, Mario, Jan, Ina, Lily, Arne, Bette, Dan, Reba, Diane, Lynn, Ed, Eva, Dana, Lynne, Pearl, Isabel, Ada, Ned, Dee, Rena, Joel, Lora, Cecil, Aaron, Flora, Tina, Arden, Noel, and Ellen sinned.
iCeCuBEz v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:31 PM   #86
reuben_tate
Kawaii Desu Ne?
Sectional ModeratorFFR Veteran
 
reuben_tate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The Kawaiian Island~
Age: 26
Posts: 4,121
Default Re: UK Bans Teaching Creationism in State-Funded Schools Read

FSM did it.
__________________
AMA: http://ask.fm/benguino

Not happening now! Don't click to join!



Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenner View Post
(^)> peck peck says the heels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX
And god made ben, and realized he was doomed to miss. And said it was good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakvvv666
awww :< crushing my dreams; was looking foward to you attempting to shoot yourself point blank and missing
reuben_tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:18 PM   #87
TheSaxRunner05
The Doctor
FFR Veteran
 
TheSaxRunner05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Age: 31
Posts: 6,019
Default Re: UK Bans Teaching Creationism in State-Funded Schools Read

My religion says all religious claims are false.
__________________


TheSaxRunner05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:18 AM   #88
Mollocephalus
Squock
FFR Veteran
 
Mollocephalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Italy
Age: 31
Posts: 2,490
Send a message via Skype™ to Mollocephalus
Default Re: UK Bans Teaching Creationism in State-Funded Schools Read

Reuben, i think you didn't make yourself clear in your posts. I'll try to reply without going into religious details. If your argument is that thinking a creator lies behind all things is a natural argument because it comes from observation, i'd argue that is only true if you consider a superficial, primitive observation. The same kind of observation which makes us feel the earth is flat and the sun revolves around us. That's why the concept of deity was bound to happen in the human history, and that's also why, as a general rule, as time progresses it's being left behind. There is nothing much else to add. All the evidence we have, the things we discovered about the inner workings of universe, energy and matter do not count as observation?
__________________
Mollocephalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:11 AM   #89
reuben_tate
Kawaii Desu Ne?
Sectional ModeratorFFR Veteran
 
reuben_tate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The Kawaiian Island~
Age: 26
Posts: 4,121
Default Re: UK Bans Teaching Creationism in State-Funded Schools Read

Exactly, even though they are superficial and primitive observations, they are observations nonetheless. Thus, the general idea of a creator is not something that was arbitrarily made up. Thus, you can't compare it to the FSM because the FSM is something that is arbitrarily made up. Now, this is no way, proves creationism, but it does serve as a rebuttal to the FSM argument.

Also, just because I am refuting the FSM argument, that doesn't necessarily mean that I believe in creationism, so I would respect it if the discussion in this thread doesn't act as if I did.
__________________
AMA: http://ask.fm/benguino

Not happening now! Don't click to join!



Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenner View Post
(^)> peck peck says the heels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX
And god made ben, and realized he was doomed to miss. And said it was good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakvvv666
awww :< crushing my dreams; was looking foward to you attempting to shoot yourself point blank and missing
reuben_tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:33 AM   #90
Mollocephalus
Squock
FFR Veteran
 
Mollocephalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Italy
Age: 31
Posts: 2,490
Send a message via Skype™ to Mollocephalus
Default Re: UK Bans Teaching Creationism in State-Funded Schools Read

I don't see where exactly it refutes the FSM argument. Every culture created their own deities based on their observations, on their background, on the difficulties they had to face, on the unanswered questions they had, et cetera. FSM was only created to make it more obvious that every imaginary being you can think of shares the same possibility of existing.
__________________
Mollocephalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:09 AM   #91
Nullifidian
\_(ツ)_/
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran
 
Nullifidian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Age: 30
Posts: 1,818
Default Re: UK Bans Teaching Creationism in State-Funded Schools Read

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben_tate View Post
Thus, you can't compare it to the FSM because the FSM is something that is arbitrarily made up. Now, this is no way, proves creationism, but it does serve as a rebuttal to the FSM argument.



HOW DOES IT REFUTE THE FSM?!

Ok ok.. replace the flying spaghetti monster with another name like Allah. How does it refute Allah? or Zeus, how does it refute Zeus?

You are not explaining WHY it refutes the flying spaghetti monster. You're only saying "fsm is arbitrary because I say it is arbitrary but creationism isn't arbitrary because I say it isn't arbitrary therefore fsm is refuted". You are making NO argument at all.
__________________
Nullifidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:55 AM   #92
Pseudo Enigma
やる気ない _(:3c 」∠ )_
FFR Veteran
 
Pseudo Enigma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Age: 24
Posts: 2,291
Default Re: UK Bans Teaching Creationism in State-Funded Schools Read

Quote:
Originally Posted by _.Spitfire._ View Post
taking this too seriously
calm down
Pseudo Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:14 AM   #93
Nullifidian
\_(ツ)_/
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran
 
Nullifidian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Age: 30
Posts: 1,818
Default Re: UK Bans Teaching Creationism in State-Funded Schools Read

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo Enigma View Post
calm down
I'm not even pissed off or anything but it just baffles me he's making the same leap of logic again and somehow thinks that refutes anything even though he has been told already that his argument doesn't hold. He's just repeating the same shit again.
__________________

Last edited by Nullifidian; 06-22-2014 at 11:29 AM..
Nullifidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:30 AM   #94
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Sectional ModeratorFFR Veteran
 
Reincarnate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6,335
Default Re: UK Bans Teaching Creationism in State-Funded Schools Read

Alright, I can't help it anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben_tate View Post
Exactly, even though they are superficial and primitive observations, they are observations nonetheless. Thus, the general idea of a creator is not something that was arbitrarily made up. Thus, you can't compare it to the FSM because the FSM is something that is arbitrarily made up. Now, this is no way, proves creationism, but it does serve as a rebuttal to the FSM argument.

Also, just because I am refuting the FSM argument, that doesn't necessarily mean that I believe in creationism, so I would respect it if the discussion in this thread doesn't act as if I did.
Just because you have an observation of something doesn't mean you nontrivially increase the probability of some other claim being true. You're going from "We have evidence that complexity comes from intelligent designers like humans" to "That therefore means it's not trivial to assume a creative, intelligent God."

Seeing complexity in nature is an observation. You use experimentation to test hypotheses to see if you can make theoretical frameworks that can retroactively explain as well as predict such observations.

To date, we have tested these theories and found that we do not need intelligent design to explain complexity. It is strange to posit a creative God as somehow being in control of something that did not need him to begin with.

I present to you, the creative God:



Furthermore, from http://www.godlessgeeks.com/LINKS/Dragon.htm

Quote:
Now, what's the difference between an invisible, incorporeal, floating dragon who spits heatless fire and no dragon at all? If there's no way to disprove my contention, no conceivable experiment that would count against it, what does it mean to say that my dragon exists?
The two concepts become indistinguishable from each other, and likewise for any other arbitrary claim. That's why we have Occam's Razor to keep things limited to the minimum number of inputs necessary to explain something and to cut away all that contributes no explanatory utility until shown otherwise.

And perhaps more importantly:

Quote:
Gratifyingly, some dragon-size footprints in the flour are now reported. But they're never made when a skeptic is looking. An alternative explanation presents itself. On close examination it seems clear that the footprints could have been faked. Another dragon enthusiast shows up with a burnt finger and attributes it to a rare physical manifestation of the dragon's fiery breath. But again, other possibilities exist. We understand that there are other ways to burn fingers besides the breath of invisible dragons. Such "evidence" -- no matter how important the dragon advocates consider it -- is far from compelling.
You could just as easily argue that the existence of dragon-sized footprints gives you a non-trivial, non-arbitrary probability of believing in incorporeal, invisible dragons -- but you'd be silly to think this when MUCH stronger explanations exist for this.

If you wish to boil it down to probability, though? I'll even concede the point to you: Sure, it could be a touch above totally arbitrary. But something that is insanely close to 0 probability is still not really worth considering. Usually people mis-estimate probability when they have an incomplete understanding of the "numerator in question," here. You naturally understand, intuitively, the numerator for the dragon case. Even fewer people understand it for the complexity of the universe.

Tying this back to the FSM, here, the point here is the problem of unfalsifiability. If you have no good evidence that something exists, then it's just as good as any other such explanation that fills the gap. If you with to refute one such possibility, you have to refute them all -- otherwise you are making the claim that you have a compelling reason for saying otherwise (which you do not have, here). If you wish to say that something exists, the onus (the burden of truth) is on the one making the claim -- otherwise we run into logically-inconsistent territory when it comes to establishing the truth value of a claim.

Also I don't understand your prime number analogy because P(odd prime) = 1 as primes go to infinity (purely selecting primes).

Last edited by Reincarnate; 06-22-2014 at 11:47 AM..
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:36 AM   #95
adlp
melee and siege
FFR Veteran
 
adlp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,757
Default Re: UK Bans Teaching Creationism in State-Funded Schools Read

hey guys i'm off to church see yall in a couple hours~
__________________
adlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:46 AM   #96
choof
youtu.be/sM5hlrkaPSo
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran
 
choof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 7,859
Default Re: UK Bans Teaching Creationism in State-Funded Schools Read

have fun dude church was always fun when I was a kid
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynam0 View Post
I'm a dark giraffe in this maniera
choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:01 PM   #97
MinaciousGrace
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher
 
MinaciousGrace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: nima
Posts: 4,281
Default Re: UK Bans Teaching Creationism in State-Funded Schools Read

i should have made the sacrifice and posted gay porn
MinaciousGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:01 PM   #98
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Sectional ModeratorFFR Veteran
 
Reincarnate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6,335
Default Re: UK Bans Teaching Creationism in State-Funded Schools Read

it's not too late disclaimer: don't actually do it
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:19 PM   #99
korny
It's Saint Pepsi bitch
FFR Veteran
 
korny's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Dallas, tx
Age: 31
Posts: 4,384
Send a message via AIM to korny
Default Re: UK Bans Teaching Creationism in State-Funded Schools Read

Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
have fun dude church was always fun when I was a kid
Try going to Mormon church
korny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:28 PM   #100
choof
youtu.be/sM5hlrkaPSo
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran
 
choof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 7,859
Default Re: UK Bans Teaching Creationism in State-Funded Schools Read

the only time I've been in a mormon church was to play basketball
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynam0 View Post
I'm a dark giraffe in this maniera
choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright FlashFlashRevolution