Old 08-6-2007, 07:53 PM   #1
xboxcreature
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to xboxcreature
Question Handwashing Experiment

I just finished perfoming an experiment using two songs. My original objective was to figure out whether or not washing your hands before playing FFR is a benefit or hinderance, also to observe any adverse effects; this is what I have found:

The first song I used was the song Szamar Madar. Having recently played the song frequently I figured it would be the perfect candidate for collecting data. I began by playing the song five times in a row and the data for the experiment is as follows;

Run 1 - Max. Combo = 426
Perfects = 997

Run 2 - Max. Combo = 401
Perfects = 977

Run 3 - Max. Combo = 354
Perfects = 987

Run 4 - Max. Combo = 429
Perfects = 960

Run 5 - Max. Combo = 427
Perfects = 964

Average - Max. Combo = 407.4
Perfects = 977

*note I have never AAA'd a song but I do frequently FC songs

After those runs and the five runs on the other song I washed my hands with soap and water and returned to complete the next five runs. (I did not wash my hands before every run in consideration to the variable of allowing my fingers and hands to rest) the data is as follows;

Run 1 - Max. Combo = 898
Perfects = 985

Run 2 - Max. Combo = 339
Perfects = 933

Run 3 - Max. Combo = 450
Perfects = 923

Run 4 - Max. Combo = 531
Perfects = 924

Run 5 - Max. Combo = 374
Perfects = 945

Average - Max. Combo = 518.4
Perfects = 942

From the data shown it suggests an overall better combo but worse accuracy after washing my hands. Fluency over Consistency in this case. Also as shown the Maximum combos a far less consistent after washing my hands however overall the number is far greater. I also experienced far less difficulty in bursts and streams after washing my hands.

The data on the second song (Rottel-da-station) is much more elaborate and is as follows;

Unwashed Hands

Run 1 - Max. Combo = 334
Perfects = 1034
Goods = 131
Avg. = 31
Miss = 22
Boo = 14

Run 2 - Max. Combo = 344
Perfects = 986
Goods = 177
Avg. = 36
Miss = 19
Boo = 32

Run 3 - Max. Combo = 301
Perfects = 946
Goods = 191
Avg. = 52
Miss = 29
Boo = 45

Run 4 - Max. Combo = 189
Perfects = 991
Goods = 149
Avg. = 50
Miss = 28
Boo = 41

Run 5 - Max. Combo = 549
Perfects = 980
Goods = 184
Avg. = 38
Miss = 16
Boo = 26

Average - Max. Combo = 343.4
Perfects = 987.4
Goods = 166.4
Avg. = 41.4
Miss = 22.8
Boo = 31.6

Washed Hands

Run 1 - Max. Combo = 419
Perfects = 984
Goods = 187
Avg. = 34
Miss = 13
Boo = 25

Run 2 - Max. Combo = 525
Perfects = 1015
Goods = 168
Avg. = 27
Miss = 8
Boo = 17

Run 3 - Max. Combo = 183
Perfects = 985
Goods = 170
Avg. = 37
Miss = 26
Boo = 31

Run 4 - Max. Combo = 361
Perfects = 985
Goods = 174
Avg. = 37
Miss = 22
Boo = 31

Run 5 - Max. Combo = 261
Perfects = 971
Goods = 194
Avg. = 36
Miss = 17
Boo = 30

Average - Max. Combo = 349.8
Perfects = 987.4
Goods = 166.4
Avg. = 41.4
Miss = 22.8
Boo = 31.6

The second stage of this experiment has shown that there is very slight correlation between washing and not washing your hands. I was again, more inconsistent with my combos, however, the overall results improved only by slight amounts. This suggests, in opposition to the first stage, that accuracy also improved as well as fluency with washing my hands. I again experienced far less difficulty in bursts and such, however I still was unable to keep a combo well enough.

In conclusion it can be assumed that washing your hands before playing FFR has a few benefits as well as hinderances. In a negative note, washing your hands causes instability between runs. The positive effects, however small, are improved combinations and the possibility of better accuracy. Observationally, that is, my experience while playing the song, it is much, much better to wash your hands before playing. It allows for a better feel and less difficulty as well as more fluency.

I request that others should repeat this experiment in the attempt to find even more accurate results and possibly a reason behind those results for now this is all I have done.
xboxcreature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-6-2007, 07:58 PM   #2
FRO
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Handwashing Experiment

Definitely creative.

Your sample, however, is much too small to make any results meaningful.

FRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-6-2007, 07:58 PM   #3
jugglinguy
Use me as a porta-potty
FFR Veteran

All of the data is very close and it seems like you get more practice on the second set which might make a SMALL amount difference. I really don't think it makes any difference washing your hands or not.

You're Aja Leith of the Holograms! You're very exotic, intelligent and sophisticated.
jugglinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-6-2007, 08:38 PM   #4
rel89
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to rel89

Wtf washing my hands does not alter my ability to play the game better.

lol drugs.
Tier Points: 206 (206 + 0 for 167 AAAs)

SM/GH3/FFR vids
rel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-6-2007, 08:49 PM   #5
xboxcreature
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugglinguy View Post
All of the data is very close and it seems like you get more practice on the second set which might make a SMALL amount difference. I really don't think it makes any difference washing your hands or not.
That's why I chose songs that I have been playing a lot as of late to kind of lower the possibility of practice being a variable...
Old 08-8-2007, 05:59 PM   #6
Xapti
FFR Player

This is an example of where logic, science, and reason are much more useful than statistics. You just can't use stats to figure something like this out, it's stupid. Hand washing obviously has nothing to do with performance, and I assume this was a joke, which you either wasted a lot of time on, or faked.
Xapti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-8-2007, 06:11 PM   #7
Kotarouchan
I only need 3 seconds :)
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Kotarouchan

I did this experiment as well, and washing my hands hinders my ability to combo.

To perform this experiment with relatively consistent data, you need a specific temperature of water, soap/no soap, type of song, sweat/no sweat produced, as well as a song you can do consistently without fatiguing (and Szamar Madar is not a good song to perform this experiment on).
Old 08-12-2007, 10:26 PM   #8
xboxcreature
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xapti View Post
This is an example of where logic, science, and reason are much more useful than statistics. You just can't use stats to figure something like this out, it's stupid. Hand washing obviously has nothing to do with performance, and I assume this was a joke, which you either wasted a lot of time on, or faked.
First of all, not a joke, so shut your mouth unless you have something intelligent to say. Second, how does something that directly effects objects not indirectly effect what those objects do? Third, and I'll give you this, statistics proved unvaried and really invalid, so are you just going to say it's invalid and not give any imput? Very opinionated and unhelpful. However you are right, it's logical and psychological as well as physical.

The body naturally produces heat and stores it in the skin, muscles, blood vessels, etc. Water running over the surface of the skin would reduce the amount of heat stored on the skin, however temporarily, so the lack of heat would allow the finger and hand muscles to move faster for better performance (feel wise) however statistically it might not show. If you do look at the first run after I washed my hands it was statistically better. It's possible that the physical effect could be temporary and the act of over-using the finger muscles could wear off those effects quicker.

Also water produces a "feel-good" effect on the mind. For example after taking a shower you usually feel better mentally and physically, just the feel-good kind of clean. Better disposition and more focused mentality allows for better performance in just about anything. On a smaller scaleb could essentially "showering" your hands have a similar effect?

That's all I can propose in sensible logic, anyone else agree? Statistic wise, I would forget about it...
Old 08-12-2007, 10:37 PM   #9
v0lcom
IT Guru
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to v0lcom Send a message via MSN to v0lcom Send a message via Skype™ to v0lcom

lmao, this is retarded. all your scores are about the same. clean hands don't make a difference with your skills.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:46 PM   #10
~HentaiXXX~
Banned

Send a message via MSN to ~HentaiXXX~

I play better when my hands are sweaty, I can slide my fingers around the keys on harder songs. With clean hands they don't slide, they kind of stick.
~HentaiXXX~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 10:49 PM   #11
xboxcreature
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0lcom View Post
lmao, this is retarded. all your scores are about the same. clean hands don't make a difference with your skills.
Again ****ing read, I said statistically there was no difference and neither did I say there was a difference in skill, this is much more psychological than just sheer numbers you brute apparently you didn't read anything I just wrote...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HentaiXXX~ View Post
I play better when my hands are sweaty, I can slide my fingers around the keys on harder songs. With clean hands they don't slide, they kind of stick.
It's obvious though that whether or not you choose to wash your hands would be based on preference, I like that sort of "sticky" feeling so I would prefer to wash my hands...

Last edited by xboxcreature; 08-12-2007 at 10:52 PM..
Old 08-13-2007, 08:22 AM   #12
Exag0n
FFR Player
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Exag0n

I only wash my hands when my hands need warming up, for instance if I've been outside on a cold winter day and my hands are freezing and thus unresponsive. In that case I find that it's a comfort thing to have them warm and not stiff and cold, so one could call that an improvement I suppose.

However, I doubt you'd see an awful lot of difference if your hands were a normal temperature to begin with.

StepMania Solo Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knZa5V0DiDU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c3Vq7JraNc

SORO OWNLY, NO SINGALZ
C650, REVERSE, Note+
Exag0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:53 AM   #13
xboxcreature
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

I know exactly what you mean, my hands are really unresponsive when I come out of the cold too but sometimes if they are kept cooler rather than cold they tend to work better...
Old 08-14-2007, 05:20 PM   #14
ReiWonr
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to ReiWonr

Honestly, the only physical difference to consider in this is hand temperature.

If one were to really make any kind of an experiment for this. You would want to play in different temperatures

I would guess that the hotter your hands are, the better you perform, seeing as how cold temperatures numb your hands and fingers.

That being said, the questions of "Does washing improve you?" sounds really pointless. Washing your hands in hot water may warm them up, which should be good, and washing them in cold water will cool them down, which should be bad.

As to "feeling better" after washing, that is not scientific as it is the preferences of the person doing it. OCD =/= science
Old 08-14-2007, 07:53 PM   #15
xboxcreature
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReiWonr View Post
That being said, the questions of "Does washing improve you?" sounds really pointless. Washing your hands in hot water may warm them up, which should be good, and washing them in cold water will cool them down, which should be bad.
Cooling your hands down would not necessarily be bad, if your body gets overheated it lacks performance. You are right there is no actual improvement in how you play, that really ended up not being the point I'm trying to get across. If you wash your hands though it would keep them at a more balanced temperature; too cold, your hands become numb, too hot and they become overheated and lose some of their power...
Old 08-15-2007, 02:26 PM   #16
g4z33b0
Banned

Send a message via AIM to g4z33b0

i always wash my hands in warm water before playing, seems to help me.
g4z33b0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 11:42 PM   #17
Ice wolf
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

After reading the first few posts, I just need to ask the people that don't think washing your hands helps, to put your hands in a bucket of ice for 5 minutes and play a song. Then wash them in hot water for 5 minutes and play a song.

Sure you can warm your hands without water, but you can warm and wash your hands with water.

^Way better than 25thhour's link. You know you want to sign up.

The best noteskin ever: Skittles

Are you having trouble syncing your files? Use DDReamStudio.

Last edited by Ice wolf; 04-12-2008 at 12:46 PM..
Ice wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 11:49 PM   #18
LLaMaSaUceYup
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to LLaMaSaUceYup Send a message via MSN to LLaMaSaUceYup Send a message via Yahoo to LLaMaSaUceYup

I NEVER WASH MY HANDS.
Haha kidding.

MrRubx must really get into washing his hands.
damn
LLaMaSaUceYup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 11:54 PM   #19
beaner692
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to beaner692

you should do this same expiriment, but replace washing your hands with lubing them with lotion/butter

wewt10k aim: IMB3AU

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...&q=vertex+beta
I play Vertex BETA :O
beaner692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 11:58 PM   #20
LLaMaSaUceYup
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to LLaMaSaUceYup Send a message via MSN to LLaMaSaUceYup Send a message via Yahoo to LLaMaSaUceYup

Chunky_Cheese, the guy who got me into this game, when he played one handed, he would use lotion some times and he said it really helped.

I really never understood it, it just disgusted me.
lol
Felt funny.
LLaMaSaUceYup is offline   Reply With Quote