Default Re: Rift went F2P

I messaged you then ya logged off so I logged off so league so be back later
Untimely Friction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-7-2013, 03:58 PM   #23
Coolboyrulez0
VICES
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

beep boop friendly reminder at grandmaster choof to update op with forum name - ign - class (plus maybe specialization)

Coolboyrulez0 - Cbr - Rogue (Huntsman)

ps: yes, quit tera at 35 or so because i got hella bored. (dungeons were only fun thing, quest just tied you over til you got to said dungeons)
no sign of stopping here because more than enough quests, dungeons and TONS of dynamic events plus if you like to grind instead you have instant andventures, lfg/lfp/lfd, tons of character customization in the form of skill trees etc.

Last edited by Coolboyrulez0; 07-7-2013 at 05:01 PM..
Coolboyrulez0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-7-2013, 04:08 PM   #24
ReikonKeiri
i wanna be ur pop star
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to ReikonKeiri

I'm not going to play it because I have a massive backlog of games, but I'm curious from an unbiased perspective if anyone thinks this game is better than Tera.

FMO AAAs (3): Heavenly Spores (68), Fast Asleep (67)!, 0 (piano version) (66)! VC AAAs: 76
Best VCs: Finders Keepers (64), Purple (64), Travel Demon (63), Final Step (63), A World of Piano (63), Balloon Fever (63), The Fusion (63)

It's Only Natural BF
Southern Cross BF
Minute Waltz v2 BF
Novo Mundo BF
Stark Raving Mad BF
Midnight Dragon 1-0-0-1
Choprite 2 clean
Rottel 2 clean
J&C 2 clean
Chronograph 2-1-0-1
BB Evo 3 clean
Staring at my Spaceship 3 clean
Epilogue 3-0-0-1
Banned Forever 3-0-0-1
World Tour 2004 3-0-1-4
Demon Beast Appearance 4 clean
Gacha Gacha Figu Atto Radio 4 clean
Gravity Blast 4 clean
Just Why 4 clean
Eternal Drain [Heavy] 4 clean
300 4-0-0-1
Pure Ruby 5 clean
Destination of the Heart 5 clean
Plasmatextor 5-0-0-4
Oni 6 clean
Yorukumoryuu Yamikaze 6 clean
Ambient Angels 6 clean
Colorful Course 6 clean
Hajnal 6 clean
Arsonist 7-0-0-1
Setsujou! Hyakka Ryouran 7-1-0-1
Face in the Gutter 8 clean
Kanon Medley 8 clean
Colibri 8 clean
Summer Time Perfume 8 clean
Blindfolds Aside 8-0-0-1
Bubble Bath Aftermath 8-0-0-1
Bloody Tears 8-0-0-2
Ochitsukeruwakenaiwayo! [Heavy] 9 clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogle-master View Post
To be fair, having all the BlazBlue's isn't good taste more then it is common sense.
ReikonKeiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-7-2013, 06:36 PM   #25
cetaka
Dark Chancellor
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to cetaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choofers View Post
actually not lol
yes "outside of progression raiding" you can (and people do) do whatever they want in like e.g. world of warcraft taking all kinds of wrong customization options and still do all solo content and like 5mans or whatever just fine. your basically saying that you only need to build optimally in the only place where it matters...

cetaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-7-2013, 06:46 PM   #26
yo man im awesome
soleil ardent
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

yo man im awesome - YMIAA - Rogue (Huntsman, sup CBR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
you double dad loving dipshit
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rogdor View Post
dammit now i have to smoke a picture of choof out of a bong
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartdude1212 View Post
I can't be the only guy who has wondered what it'd be like to menstruate all over the shower.
yo man im awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-7-2013, 06:50 PM   #27
Choofers
FFR Player
FFR Music Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cetaka View Post
yes "outside of progression raiding" you can (and people do) do whatever they want in like e.g. world of warcraft taking all kinds of wrong customization options and still do all solo content and like 5mans or whatever just fine. your basically saying that you only need to build optimally in the only place where it matters...
I thought wow was basically you pick one class and then you're shoed in one of three directions.

needless to say though, rift classes are far more customizable
Old 07-7-2013, 07:05 PM   #28
cetaka
Dark Chancellor
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to cetaka

i mean idk i was never rly into huge trees where u have to put like 3 points into "do 5% more damage under certain conditions" or whatever so i guess i agree with you i dont want otm ake a scene

cetaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-7-2013, 07:11 PM   #29
mi40

sry i wait for blade&soul NA localization
rift/tera went f2p for a reason
Old 07-8-2013, 12:18 AM   #30
andy-o24
Private Messages, please.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to andy-o24

Azgalor - Cleric

I'll have to change servers and all that. I've only put a few hours in so far, but it's pretty fun and expansive.

-o24

When the game isn't fun for you anymore, take a break. It's not a job, nobody here is professional and getting paid to play and force themselves to constantly improve... it's a game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashakiro View Post
Yeah, FFR is addicting...I don't think I'll get bored with this game unless I somehow become the best at it, which won't happen.
andy-o24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-8-2013, 01:31 AM   #31
omega_grunt666
Nescio quid faciam
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReikonKeiri View Post
I'm not going to play it because I have a massive backlog of games, but I'm curious from an unbiased perspective if anyone thinks this game is better than Tera.
Well I couldn't get past the 1-20 BLEH barrier in Tera (I've heard its better now then it was, but at the time, it was just too much for me.) It comes down to preference, on launch I found the game a little too similar to WoW (which I was playing at the time) to keep two subs active. If I didn't already have x years sunk into Derpcraft I probably would of stayed with Rift instead.

It certainly has a lot going for it, the world events are some of the better ones I've seen, it feels a little more dynamic and rewarding then most of what I experienced in Guild Wars 2. I don't have any endgame experience in Rift yet (too many games on the list), so I won't comment on that. The fishing and dimensions (player housing) are pretty neat though. The combat is pretty much on-par, it might be because I was playing a squishy, but mobs actually felt dangerous. A nice change to the usual turn-off-brain afk-farm I'm used to from far too many games.

For a free to play game, it probably leads the pack in value. They did the conversion just right, give the game to players for free and charges for visual/convenience items, not like the joke of a demo you get in SWTOR. It has systems in place to allow you to spend in-game currency to buy cash currency from other players, which in my opinion, every f2p title could benefit from.

So it comes down to why you like the genre of game, for PvP and Endgame, I don't know. For world events and cool side-things to do besides/while leveling, 9001% better.

Oh,
Jerot - Mage (Necro) - Shatterbone (I have a bunch of IRL friends who have characters on this server, but we never play. I might switch, but until then I'm willing to +1 your dimensions and what-not)

Last edited by omega_grunt666; 07-8-2013 at 01:36 AM..
omega_grunt666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-8-2013, 08:31 AM   #32
Choofers
FFR Player
FFR Music Producer

End-game pvp is pretty gear based until you hit the higher prestige levels. I know they've done a lot to fix that.

I've heard a few people say that Rift's end-game PvE is tougher and more interesting than WoW's. hi19 in particular was watching raid videos and liking the instance designs lol. I can only speak for T1-T3 (the three level 50 raids) because I quit raiding after Infernal Dawn, but they were legitimately some of the most fun I've had playing a video game.

Purchasing cash shop credits with in-game currency is awesome, it's always on the auction house and you can usually find people in trade chat that will sell for slightly lower than on the AH. On faeblight, it's about 800-1k platinum, which turns out to be around 1p = 1 credit. 1000 plat may seem like a lot but if you take the three gathering skills (there's also a credit service that lets you take up to 9 crafting skills), you can storm legion mats for crazy amount of money. Cash shop, imo, is done almost perfectly.
Old 07-9-2013, 02:05 AM   #33
Choofers
FFR Player
FFR Music Producer

Rofl so looks like once I'm geared up at level 60, I'll be raiding with one of the top NA guilds. Can't believe the guild leader remembered me xd
Old 07-9-2013, 03:42 AM   #34
hi19hi19
lol happy
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

The encounter design of this MMO is really top-notch. Fights like Kyzan look like so much fun: conceptually simple, high in movement, punishes mistakes and rewards good play, and mostly very well-broadcasted mechanics.

One thing I knock Trion for is the fact they really like sneaky dispellable debuffs. This tends to violate "burden of knowledge" game design (where you wipe instantly to something you didn't see, then you need to be like "okay next pull everyone watch your/the boss's buff bar to see what that was"), but I'll let it slide because it's very easy for raids to spec into cleanses/AoE cleanses if needed.

hi19hi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-9-2013, 03:42 AM   #35
MinaciousGrace
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choofers View Post

I've heard a few people say that Rift's end-game PvE is tougher and more interesting than WoW's. hi19 in particular was watching raid videos and liking the instance designs lol. I can only speak for T1-T3 (the three level 50 raids) because I quit raiding after Infernal Dawn, but they were legitimately some of the most fun I've had playing a video game.
yes and no, I think an argument could be made either way. Personally I think there is an illusion of difficulty mostly generated by the small pool skilled and motivated players from which to form a roster from. Mechanically and strategically speaking fights are far less demanding than WoW's current tier and most classes are in Rift are still 2-4 spam macros that require little or no attention to max dps, shifting the definition of "good players" from "can you do min/maxed dps while doing mechanics" to "literally can you press 2 buttons without having a clue what either of them do because your guild leader gave you macros and stare at your character's feet and not stand in shit at the same time".

Even still, I raided with CND and we finished out normal FT/EE around 5-6 months ago and then cleared out hard mode zaviel before quitting on hard mode prog because our roster just couldn't cut it. Now don't get me wrong I raided for 3 months or whatever it was and had a lot of fun but I think the game suffered from some bad end game raiding and fight design decisions. Specifically, forcing support/buff classes on your raid that nobody good wants to play, but actually require good players to get the most out of, and hard mode prog is just a fucking dumb fight. Meteor + purple circle + bouncing lightning = instantly dead unless your healers happen to have a cd up and react quickly enough. Not to mention it's completely random so 4 attempts in a row you can get chain fucked by dps just exploding halfway throughout the fight or it can not be an issue for 4 near-kill pulls. I mean it was probably just us having terrible fucking healers but we would chain wipe to people not shield swapping in the first place so we just said fuck it.

If I had to guess snakes on a planarite is trying to recruit and gear players for SL t2 because a lot of their previous roster has bled out of the game but idk.

tl;dr the game is aite and its probably as close to WoW as you can get without being WoW. I'm actually gonna log in and fuck around cuz im bored dunno if ur still around

e: apparently the new t2 10 man is out. Almost makes me want to play again.

ee: god logging in and looking at my gear makes me remember how fucking bad itemization in this game is. You automatically DE'd 1/3rd of your raid drops even during progression because crit is a fucking worthless stat. Seriously fucking what.

Last edited by MinaciousGrace; 07-9-2013 at 04:00 AM..
MinaciousGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-9-2013, 09:28 AM   #36
Choofers
FFR Player
FFR Music Producer

talking about that crucia bug? that caused a ton of heat on the forums lmao, thought they fixed that.
I'm really hoping rift isn't bleeding players now, the servers are finally healthy; haven't seen this many players since before SL
Old 07-17-2013, 04:42 AM   #37
Coolboyrulez0
VICES

Here comes week 2 (or is it 3) check... who is still playing and who ditched the game.

I have the feeling most if not all of you besides me and Choof left. I hit 44 last night and am aiming for 50 by this weekend hehu (2 weeks for 10 levels til cap on a game i never played, owned)
Old 07-17-2013, 08:10 AM   #38
yo man im awesome
soleil ardent

I just haven't been able to play, I do still want to ;__;

Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
you double dad loving dipshit
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rogdor View Post
dammit now i have to smoke a picture of choof out of a bong
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartdude1212 View Post
I can't be the only guy who has wondered what it'd be like to menstruate all over the shower.
yo man im awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:05 AM   #39
Coolboyrulez0
VICES

level 51

swagE
Old 07-23-2013, 10:08 AM   #40
Choofers
FFR Player