Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2008, 03:38 PM   #1
Skelerex
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Skelerex
Default ...

It's my fifth day here. I thought this game was easy until somebody randomly challenged me to Tsugaru 180 New Version. I quickly learned my lesson. This question may be hard to answer, but for those that can play things like Tsugaru well, how long did it take you to get to that point?

In truth I am not a forum person, but I do enjoy meeting the couple of gems each message board has to offer.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:42 PM   #2
SpammyMcSquirrel
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to SpammyMcSquirrel Send a message via MSN to SpammyMcSquirrel
Default Re: ...

About a couple months.
SpammyMcSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:42 PM   #3
NFD
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to NFD

Well, it took me about 5-6 months, it just depends on how much you play, and for how long. I played about 10 games a day, from October to about March, and I noticed I was getting better. When I first started I couldn't Full Combo a Standard or Tricky song, but I can do that with ease now with Difficult and Very Difficult. It just takes some practice, :3
Old 07-18-2008, 04:08 PM   #4
Sir_Thomas
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

A lot of people get a nice bonus to playing FFR from have playing any other beat games, which is bad. I would have rather not known anything about them and started playing because then I would have probably better than I am now.

I play to casually and progressed slow.

If you are going to play casual, meaning like a few games a day just to show your friends how cool it is (What I did for a while...), then it will take a while. If you play it religiously, a few months.
Sir_Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 04:12 PM   #5
Mans0n
Sun and Stars
FFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Mans0n

I AAA'ed it like last year lolol.

Check out my band profile and give it a like! :P
Mans0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 04:15 PM   #6
One Winged Angel
Anime Avatars ( ◜◡^)っ✂╰⋃╯
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I was able to FC things like Tsugaru (with bad PA, mind you) from the get go, because I had been playing piano for ~8 years, and was already quite skilled with my fingers. If you have no musical experience, I suggest starting out on easy or standard songs, and once you can FC those with little trouble, move up to tricky...then difficult...then eventually you'll be able to play songs like Tsugaru...give it a couple of months and you'll be good to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikexd View Post
i want to be cucked by cirno
One Winged Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 04:21 PM   #7
All_That_Chaz
Supreme Dictator For Life
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to All_That_Chaz

Everyone learns at their own pace. It can steepen your learning curve if you've played rhythm games before. The answer to the question, "How do I get better?" is usually "Practice, practice, practice."

There are some tips here that can help: http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...ad.php?t=94323

I was very slow to improve, personally. I think I FC'd Tsugaru for the first time rather recently, and I've been playing for years. A lot of that had to do with that I played one-handed for a long, long time (3+ years). People have success with different styles of play. Try different styles for periods of time, see which one works the best for you once it stops feeling weird, then stick with it.
dammit chaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoJaR View Post
god dammit chaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalReynolds
I bet when you live in a glass house, the temptation to throw stones is magnified strictly because you're not supposed to.
All_That_Chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 04:29 PM   #8
NFD
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to NFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Winged Angel View Post
I was able to FC things like Tsugaru (with bad PA, mind you) from the get go, because I had been playing piano for ~8 years, and was already quite skilled with my fingers. If you have no musical experience, I suggest starting out on easy or standard songs, and once you can FC those with little trouble, move up to tricky...then difficult...then eventually you'll be able to play songs like Tsugaru...give it a couple of months and you'll be good to go.
Quite skilled with your fingers.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:26 PM   #9
Skelerex
FFR Player

Interesting. I see the word "months" being thrown around often. Thank you for the responses. I would like to think that the game will challenge me and last a while. Thank you for that link, Chaz. I had not read this version of the FAQ yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Winged Angel View Post
I was able to FC things like Tsugaru (with bad PA, mind you) from the get go, because I had been playing piano for ~8 years, and was already quite skilled with my fingers.
About the only practice I have is Guitar Hero. It has only helped so much for coordination, but it has helped me to read timing in the framerate well. I'm a hardcore "squeezer" and have pulled off first place scores worldwide on Easy, so I know my framerates. I do not have a problem with accuracy. I just need to learn some speed.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:39 PM   #10
fido123
FFR Player

I'm probably the only avid forum member who plays as casually as I do and as soon as you get the hang of the game you learn fast. It can seem intimidating at first but as you learn to read it you get past it just being a wall of arrows. Also play spread (Re-map your keys to something like 'd-f-j-k') which will take some getting used to but IS WORTH IT. Also don't play songs you can't do and just mash...it just makes you worse.
fido123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:42 PM   #11
Tasselfoot
Retired BOSS
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Tasselfoot Send a message via MSN to Tasselfoot Send a message via Skype™ to Tasselfoot

the top users on our site have been playing FFR and Stepmania for YEARS. it is not a game that you can master in 1 or 2 sittings.

i've been playing FFR for 5 years now. over 32,000 games played. almost 20 billion total score. and there are easily 50+ people better than me on the site.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:47 PM   #12
flipsta_lombax
Lombax Connoisseur
FFR Veteran

It took me a year, lol. That's because I went on and off with FFR back when I can't even FC Beethoven Virus and it was very frustrating. So I sticked with Stepmania for a while and downloaded a few songs and packs. Apparently, I got better with SM, so I gave FFR another chance.

And now I can even FC FGOs, which is cool.

Give it some time; you are not going to be pro in one night. Although some takes longer than others to get better. Who knows why.
flipsta_lombax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:52 PM   #13
Skelerex
FFR Player

I intend to give it plenty of time. In truth, I would be more disheartened if it were all going to be easy. I enjoy a challenge, and prefer games to last me a long time. Years sounds just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasselfoot View Post
over 32,000 games played.
Do cancelled / failed games count? I am assuming so. That is quite a lot of games to have played. Not that it couldn't easily be done in 5 years. It would be roughly 17 games per day. I am just wondering how failed games are treated, since I have not had one yet.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:57 PM   #14
flipsta_lombax
Lombax Connoisseur
FFR Veteran

Oh, do they ever.
flipsta_lombax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:59 PM   #15
csoup1414
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

it took me a few months...i think
it's been awhile...i've been able to play levels like that for quite some time now
Old 07-18-2008, 06:04 PM   #16
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973

i have 8,512 games played and about 1,500 of those are boo outs lol

and it took me a month and an 8 month break to be able to fc tsugaru