Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat

Old 07-16-2014, 11:05 PM   #1
MarioNintendo
Expect delays.
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Default The FFR Network -- We need YOU!

Hello FFR'ers.

I had an idea yesterday that I think would be great to try as a community. But before that, a bit of context. As cliché as it may sound, I was talking with my parents about FFR, since they were curious about the website and whatnot. They knew I've been a judge here, that I make simfiles, etc. At one point, my father said something along the lines of: "Sure, you're playing games, having fun, but is it worth the time you sink in here? What did you acquire from this game?". The truth is that I acquired a tremendous amount of stuff here. Most importantly, I had the opportunity to meet amazing people, with talents as diverse as you would imagine. Without listing usernames or anything (hopefully, they'll say it themselves by posting in this thread!), I can easily recall people being good at coding on a variety of languages on computers, people speaking different languages, people who have a high degree in math, physics, chemistry, people who are good listeners when you have problems and seem to have experienced everything, people who can do any kind of graphics or photography, people who can compose music, tell you how to bodybuild, make an FFR engine....

The list goes on. Circa 2007, we were probably all a bunch of kids still attending high school. But as of this writing, I realize a lot of us are adults who studied in their fields of interests, whether at school or on Wikipedia. Basically, when you look at it, there's an immense pool of talent here, and I think we could all benefit from it. Whether it's resizing a gif, answering a tricky physics question for help on my homework, reviewing my files, helping me out when my girlfriend dumped me, learning about the history of New Brunswick on Skype, getting a lift to Anime North 2014... I have benefited from so many things from the kind people of this community. It cost me nothing, and in the end, it strengthened our friendly bonds. It's just a great win-win situation.

The idea here is pretty simple. I want to make a list of talents users posting in this thread have. Sure, you're probably good at Stepmania and FFR, but I'm deeply convinced everyone on here has something they could share with someone else. Good at drawing furries? Trivia master? Hey, anything counts! Let your talents show you the way!

TL;DR Basically, without using social sites like LinkedIn, I think we could build network/"toolbox" of our own that would be greatly useful in case anyone has a problem they need quick help with or are curious about, especially if they don't know where else to look to get it. And I'm pretty sure that many users would be willing to help each other for free, since it's about doing stuff we like to do in the first place!

DON'T WORRY IF YOU'RE NOT THAT BEST OUT THERE AT WHAT YOU DO! After all, if the best is absent, they can be useful to no one. You, on the other hand, could replace them just fine!

So if you have a talent, or an aptitude, some knowledge, or anything, really, please post it so that this network can take shape! Let's be proud of ourselves. I'll try to update this post. In the meantime, don't be shy! I'm sure the result of this exercice could be tremendously interesting.

The network's humble beginnings --------------------------------------------
  • choof: Knows quite a bit about IT, systems and networking, whether in a work or school setting. Has a CCENT Cisco certification (can handle your vlan (and much more than that rofl) needs). Is also doing sound design.
    MarioNintendo: Studies Math-Physics at University, auxiliary on entry level physics classes. Knows basic C and C++, can improvise a song on-the-fly, write lyrics. Good relative ear, for PR help in stepping. Knows a lot about juggling techniques and accesories. French tutor during college. Knows a lot about video game collecting.
    Fission: Programming utilities/tools for your computing needs (example).
    Izzy: Programming, general computer help.
    ilikexd: Spanish tutor from elementary to advanced level. Finishing a degree in translation.
    YoshL: General programming, physics stuff. Good musical ear (perfect pitch!), has a lot of theory to back it up. A Capella singer, beatboxer. Ask him about lua for stepmania
    yo man im awesome: Good at violin and singing. Go to him if you need to vent about anything, he's always around.
    JurseyRider734: Has a gif for every situation imaginable, knows a lot about hygiene.
    Gundam-Dude: Graphic Design graduate and currently working in his industry for a small agency/studio while doing freelancing on the side. His specialty is everything to do with proper typography, typesetting, and typeface knowledge in general. Can work with print, web, and mobile/tablet mediums. Also is a good listener if you have problems in general you want to talk about.
    samurai7694: Composing/Film Scoring and has absolute pitch where he can easily figure out musical notes instantly from pretty much anything including phone vibrations, alarm clock, jet engine, etc. He can transcribe music for you.
    ~Zero~: Biological Sciences graduate. He can also make bad Stepmania graphics.
    drizzleRomanceGirl: Future elementary school teacher, could help someone else who has questions about teaching. Although she hasn't taught any students as a teacher yet, she has a lot of wonderful ideas in-store when she is given the chance to teach others. In addition, she's fairly good at logic and reasoning, empathizing with other individuals, and playing/understanding how various video games work.
    Xx{Fallen}xX: Has been studying pre-veterinary medicine for 3 years, and has worked as a Veterinary technician since he was 16. (If you need someone to pick up your pet's poo, he's your man.)
    AutotelicBrown: Close to graduating on Computer Engineer so general CS stuff and somewhat advanced knowledge on parallelism, image processing and machine learning as he's involved in research on these topics. He can specifically help with C/C++, ARM, android programming (mostly with NDK) and stuff related to the linux kernel. He's Brazilian, so he can help with Portuguese and answer general stuff about Brazil. Other than that, he's always up for quality conversations, anything from random crap to talking about real life issues.
    devonin: Degree in History and Philosophy. Several years of business management experience. In the process of starting his own business.
    GammaBlaster: Pianist for 10 years. Strength lies in aural recognition (absolute pitch - can recognize any note and chord being played out as long as the keys are audible enough). Able to transcribe virtually anything for piano if he really tries. Done a bit of MIDI work for the VGMusic archive. Doing Grade 6 AMEB practical at the moment.
    kjwkjw: Japanese. Grammar, vocab, colloquial Japanese, stuff like that. Also can help with translation to and from English, Japanese, and Korean! Currently an undergrad planning to major in economics, so he might be able to help out there as well.
    Untimely Friction: Has done some community development.
    I like it: Car audio master, and knows a lot about audio in general.
    Coolboyrulez0: Fluent in Geman. Audio Production / Mixing / Mastering as hobby (4 years). Graphic & Web Design as Hobby but was Adobe Certified in 2012.
    JohnRedWolf87: Has a bachelors in accounting and a masters in management. Works as an accounting clerk. He could provide some tips on Oracle or ReconNET. Knows a few tricks in Excel, as well. Always available for a talk, as well.
    rushyrulz: He's good at teaching people things in general up to about a high-school to college gen-ed level without going too in-depth. Is also a good java programmer and a very good perl programmer (example)
    Niala: He writes well and sings well. Has also done a LOT of theater (technically a paid professional) so if you have any questions in that area (as far as acting is concerned) he can help out. In a couple of years he'll be able to fix your glasses too, he knows about eyes.
    blindreper1179: He listens well, and is very logical. Almost never does emotion of others get in the way when trying to help them. Whether to just listen or need help with stress, go talk to him!
    TC_Halogen: Definition of jack-of-all-trades. Can step pad or keyboard for stepmania. He's a respectable writer and has a lot of confidence in the process of proofreading. Will proofread documents for you and note redundancies, structural issues, grammatical issues, issues with brevity, etc. He also has an acceptable musical ear -- Doesn't have perfect pitch, but he did a few years of music theory. He'll also dabble in any music genre that he's in the mood for at a given time inside of FL studio. Has spent time working on a decent wobble bass in FL Studio, and has spent time composing an orchestral score in FL Studio as well. He can read treble clef based sheet music.. Currently in studying the field of IT; has some knowledge of SQL databasing (more specifically T-SQL). He's also alright at programming in various languages. He also has a basic knowledge of networking structures (topologies, WANs/LANs/VLANs, authentication infrastructures like Kerberos/RADIUS, etc), although most of this is through reading and very little of it is with actual materials. He's also a generally strong project manager. His effectiveness is most noticed when he is actually the co-manager of a project, because he generally can push people to get things done better than getting things aggressively done on his own. Also, if life ever brings you guys in the dumps, he's generally a good person to talk to. He likes to motivate people into better situations and he's a rational person who likes to observe things from multiple viewpoints.
    Wafles: Bachelors degree in Comp. Sci (Software Engineering). Many years of web development experience (4+ professional), currently working as a full time developer for a relatively small firm. Some moderate freelance graphics experience (mostly at web design stuff). He also has some experience in stepmania theme customization and noteskin creation.
    xThai: Currently in his last year in university for mathematics. Will be teacher-assisting calc I. If anyone needs help with high school math or 1st year math (calc I, calc II, linear algebra and whatever), he'll be happy to help you out. He haa a DDR machine with ITG on it. Just give him a message and he'll be happy to talk about it.
    Zageron: [About Him] Has profuse experience in community management, if no formal training. He's a musician, used to play Piano and Saxophone a lot. Additionally, has created music. He's confident in his writing skills--mostly for fiction, but has experience with essays as well. Is an audiophile and has high standards for music quality, yet has a very wide range of tastes in genres and styles. (pic). He's also a programmer and is good at FFR one handed. He could help program tool back-ends for content and help distribution. He can also host a Trello for this, as he hosts the other two FFR Trello pages at the moment.
    Hakulyte: In French, he's a respectable writer and has a lot of confidence in the process of proofreading. He'll proofread documents for you and note redundancies, structural issues, grammatical issues, issues with brevity, etc. He can help people preparing for ÉUF or anything college level and below.
    Xyr0: Is a huge grammar/spelling/proofreading nut. Doesn't mind proofreading. Scored a perfect 36 in English on the ACT for example! He's also a good listener and doesn't tend to judge people as he's done some pretty stupid things himself and knows people who have done worse than most people in general. Doesn't want you to suffer alone, so for real, come talk to him! Also, general knowledge of C++ and a pretty significant grasp of Html/CSS, learning various things too. Also knows a lot about dubstep.
    TheSaxRunner05: Has a fair grounding in music theory from college, but now is doing retail pricing and database management for grocery chains!
    Charu: Knows how to make idle gifs (Adobe After Effects CS6, and Flash CS6). Also knows motion design.
    danceflashrevo: Learning Java (5 on AP exam for comp sci). Plays a few instruments, not yet masterfully (piano, guitar, bass, drums, sax a bit, and singing). Helps his friends by analyzing and critiquing their music.
    Tokzic: Web dev, computer voodoo (!?), music production and graphic design.
    Spenner: Good with dealing with the abstract aspects of arts and aesthetics, as well as deriving the psychological responses people would generally have to certain pieces of design (be it architecture, paintings, etc). Loves creative problem solving, finding solutions for aesthetic weaknesses. Has synesthesia and thinks a great deal about the correlation between our seemingly coherent world and the messy, chaotic entanglements of stimuli as they are interpreted by the brain. Sees the emotional experience of music through visual "movies" (more examples in his original post of this thread). Thinks heavily about existentialism. Could talk endlessly about things to do with it. Is all about aesthetics of things, be it art or music, and the psychological counterparts to it. Loves design but loves looking at it more than making it. Knows a fair bit about certain categories of pharmacology from reading a lot about it to feed his curiosity.
    Dossar LX ODI: Likes to gain insight on tough situations. Is a computer science major; has gotten comfortable with Python 3 (scripting), has knowledge about C and C++ (procedural vs. object oriented design), and has an overview of assembly (MIPS and IA32 -- the assembler is what creates the binary instructions that can be executed). In the future, wants to get more experience with SQL and TCL. Can give you a philosophical explanation of a system before going into its details, has find this to help him out during his studies.
    Reincarnate: He can cook a mean chicken breast. So ask him for cooking tips, I guess!
    noname219: Is generally good with having new ideas or coming up with solutions to a problem. Has also a methodical mind and can learn new skills very quickly. He has no problem dealing with very large database, maintaining them, analyzing and extracting useful information. Knows quite a bit about graphic design (competent with Photoshop/Illustrator/InDesign and proficient with Lightroom). Other fields where he's learning and improving are photography, video game designing, programming, drone/quadcopter flying and drum playing. Is also knowledgable about geography, architecture and music.
    Staiain: Has a passion for optimalization, being computer/audio quality/playstyle/skill etc. Has a positive history of being able to help people having trouble with lag on sm/ffr/osu as well. Generally finds ways to make the most out of something.
    firemon22: Is an rpgmaker/game maker expert and a hip-hop music expert. Has also been called a relationship expert in his town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgravel View Post
Mario's files are top notch, so every time he submits a file I get excited in my pants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
This guy, MarioNintendo?
Click the bricks

Last edited by MarioNintendo; 07-18-2014 at 12:32 PM..
MarioNintendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:15 PM   #2
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: The FFR Network -- We need YOU!

obligatory post about stepmania
I know quite a bit about IT, mostly within the systems and networking realm, so if anyone needs help with that, whether in a work or school setting, they can hit me up.

sh-should I post a phone number or email address or wat
choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:17 PM   #3
MarioNintendo
Expect delays.
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Haha good question, I thought linking profiles would do. Good question though, you could specify if you want to be contacted on skype or profile or email, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgravel View Post
Mario's files are top notch, so every time he submits a file I get excited in my pants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
This guy, MarioNintendo?
Click the bricks

MarioNintendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:20 PM   #4
choof
Banned

I'm not adverse to people texting me lol, although my phone number changed (which is why I deleted from profile)

people can contact me through text or on ffr, if I'm on skype I'm usually occupied with a call
Old 07-16-2014, 11:20 PM   #5
Fission
no
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

if anybody requires a utility/tool that would call for programming skills to create, i would be able to do so. an example of what i'm referring to would be something like this: http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...d.php?t=120979

i wouldn't mind creating anything for anybody that would need it and i wouldn't charge any money to collaborate with somebody on a project such as this
Fission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:28 PM   #6
choof
Banned

oh I guess I should mention that I have a cisco certification (CCENT, but still it's something)
Old 07-16-2014, 11:33 PM   #7
Izzy
Snek
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I feel like any skill I may have is kind of just at an amateur level. If that doesn't matter then I guess programming and general computer help if anyone is having computer problems.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:33 PM   #8
ilikexd

i'm a spanish tutor and can tutor at any level from elementary to advanced
also finishing a degree in translation
ilikexd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:35 PM   #9
YoshL
Celestial Harbor
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to YoshL Send a message via MSN to YoshL Send a message via Skype™ to YoshL

general programming, physics stuff. I have a really good musical ear (perfect pitch yay) and a lot of theory to back it up, so musical stuff is also game for me. (also a capella singer + pretty damn good at beatboxing)

also i fkkin love spreadsheets

also ask me about lua for stepmania more people need to do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charu View Post
Only yours, for an easy price of $19.99! You too can experience the wonders of full motion rump sticking.

Last edited by YoshL; 07-16-2014 at 11:39 PM..
YoshL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:37 PM   #10
yo man im awesome
soleil ardent
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

screw computers, I'm good at violin (yes) and singing (I'd like to this so)

Also in another sense, I'm good as a punching bag when people need to vent about their problems. I might not always be the one to necessarily ask advice from depending on the situation, but if you need to vent, I'm always around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
you double dad loving dipshit
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rogdor View Post
dammit now i have to smoke a picture of choof out of a bong
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartdude1212 View Post
I can't be the only guy who has wondered what it'd be like to menstruate all over the shower.
yo man im awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:37 PM   #11
yo man im awesome
soleil ardent
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikexd View Post
i'm a spanish tutor and can tutor at any level from elementary to advanced
also finishing a degree in translation
yo that's actually really sick I didn't know that

Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
you double dad loving dipshit
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rogdor View Post
dammit now i have to smoke a picture of choof out of a bong
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartdude1212 View Post
I can't be the only guy who has wondered what it'd be like to menstruate all over the shower.
yo man im awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:41 PM   #12
choof
Banned

nathan can also move his scalp
Old 07-16-2014, 11:57 PM   #13
JurseyRider734
lil j the bad b-word
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to JurseyRider734 Send a message via Skype™ to JurseyRider734

i have a gif or can find one for most situations you can also ask me about hygiene HTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JurseyRider734
the fact that you're resorting to threatening physical violence says a lot anyway.
Just that you're a piece of shit who can't see reason and instead deserves a fucking beating.
JurseyRider734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:01 AM   #14
choof
Banned

so many programmers
programming is for nerds
Old 07-17-2014, 12:04 AM   #15
Gundam-Dude
`~`
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Graphic Design graduate and currently working in my industry for a small agency/studio while doing freelancing on the side. I would say my specialty is everything to do with proper typography, typesetting, and typeface knowledge in general. Come to me if you want me to tell you why your typeface treatment, choice, and/or combination is good/bad.

Already should be a given that I can work with print, web, and mobile/tablet mediums being a designer and all.

Other than this, I'm apparently a good listener? idk I've had several people just come vent their troubles/problems to me unexpectedly.

(Download My Magnum Opus, Solo Kpop Pack!)

My Simfiles (4key & 6key)

Last edited by Gundam-Dude; 07-17-2014 at 12:11 AM..
Gundam-Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:34 AM   #16
choof
Banned

can confirm that gd will not make you stepmania graphics
Old 07-17-2014, 12:39 AM   #17
samurai7694
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Composing/Film Scoring and I have absolute pitch where I can easily figure out musical notes instantly from pretty much anything including phone vibrations, alarm clock, jet engine, etc.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:48 AM   #18
JurseyRider734
lil j the bad b-word
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to JurseyRider734 Send a message via Skype™ to JurseyRider734

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai7694 View Post
Composing/Film Scoring and I have absolute pitch where I can easily figure out musical notes instantly from pretty much anything including phone vibrations, alarm clock, jet engine, etc.
ok but can you transcribe jurs op because kgz is being a pissant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JurseyRider734
the fact that you're resorting to threatening physical violence says a lot anyway.
Just that you're a piece of shit who can't see reason and instead deserves a fucking beating.
JurseyRider734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:51 AM   #19
samurai7694
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I transcribe, yea. Away from home at the moment but I can do requests when I get back home on Monday. If I recall correctly, Jurs Op starts with a G D F on the treble clef
Old 07-17-2014, 12:58 AM   #20
~Zero~
FFR Veteran
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to ~Zero~ Send a message via Skype™ to ~Zero~

Biological Sciences graduate. I might be able to assist some people, who knows.

Edit: I guess I can also help make bad stepmania graphics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaounlimited View Post
More like Tier ~0~

Last edited by ~Zero~; 07-17-2014 at 01:03 AM..
~Zero~ is offline   Reply With Quote