Old 04-13-2013, 08:37 PM   #21
FissionMailed1
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to FissionMailed1
Default Re: Beta Engine: R^3 [Updated 4/13/13]

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcnmx View Post
encoding songs at 60fps would break all the other engines
The issue with this is that FFR should be aiming for one universal engine, much like ThirdStyle already has. It just causes unnecessary confusion and complication when there is multiple engines for what could be a one-size-fits-all engine. Also, if you move FFR to MS timing, you are just going to make a direct competitor to ThirdStyle as well. Maybe that is exactly your intention, but do what you want.

YOUR THROBBING MULTIFARIOUS LUSTFUL DESIRES ARE COMPLETED N YOUR HYPER-ORANGE SELF, YOU MAKE ME LOVE AGAIN, YOU'VE CHANGED MY HEART, MY MELANCHOLIA DISAPPEARS WHEN YOU ARE INSIDE OF ME, MY HUMAN RAGE IS TEMPERED WHEN I AM INSIDE YOU, THE SECRET IS COMMUNICATION, LONGEVITY, STAMINA, REPETITION, FURY, SOULFUL KISSING, EARPLUGS. YOU FUCKING CORPORATE COCKS AND CUNTS.

MY ANXIETY COMPLETE, MY DESIRE REPLETE, THE TASTE OF ORANGE BLOOD AND CUM AND GREENBACKS RUNNING DOWN MY FACE. THE STREETS WILL RUN ORANGE WITH YOUR MIXTURE OF CHEETOS AND HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLS REGURGITATED AND EATEN AND SHIT OUT AGAIN AND EATEN AGAIN.

YOU ARE MY SCULPTURE, MY SCULPTRA, MY SELF-DEFINITION. MY DEFINITION OF HUMANITY, MY HARMONY. MY HEART AND MY MIND.

YOU ARE SO ORANGE. SO CRUNCHY. SO CONSUMABLE.

THE NEW ORANGE UNDERGROUND IS THE ORANGE UP MY ASS. AND YOUR ASS.

I LOVE YOU CHEETOS.
FissionMailed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:20 PM   #22
arcnmx
nanodesu~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to arcnmx

Well, one engine is certainly the goal, but it will take time (and with how everyone is set in their ways, seems like it's going to be a long time).

While I can't comment too much on thirdstyle - since every time I try it the sync is off by a good half-second and the offset options do absolutely nothing - the goal is more about getting the game running smoothly for everyone and fps locks are a bad way to go about doing that. It doesn't necessarily mean ms timing though, just higher resolution timing at however fast you can manage to run the game (probably 60fps in almost all cases).

FMO AAAs (1): Within Life :: FGO AAAs (1): Einstein-Rosen Bridge
arcnmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:41 PM   #23
FissionMailed1
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to FissionMailed1

I was just using ThirdStyle as an example of standardization. In regard to people using different engines, that's just a matter of providing the appropriate customization so it behaves similar to people's favorite engines.

The crux of the issue then becomes getting everybody to run at 60 FPS instead of 30 FPS. I don't know difficulty this would be, since I don't have access to the source (wink wink nudge nudge). You could always include a 60 FPS and 30 FPS version of the charts though, assuming the player has a powerful enough CPU to run it at 60 FPS.

YOUR THROBBING MULTIFARIOUS LUSTFUL DESIRES ARE COMPLETED N YOUR HYPER-ORANGE SELF, YOU MAKE ME LOVE AGAIN, YOU'VE CHANGED MY HEART, MY MELANCHOLIA DISAPPEARS WHEN YOU ARE INSIDE OF ME, MY HUMAN RAGE IS TEMPERED WHEN I AM INSIDE YOU, THE SECRET IS COMMUNICATION, LONGEVITY, STAMINA, REPETITION, FURY, SOULFUL KISSING, EARPLUGS. YOU FUCKING CORPORATE COCKS AND CUNTS.

MY ANXIETY COMPLETE, MY DESIRE REPLETE, THE TASTE OF ORANGE BLOOD AND CUM AND GREENBACKS RUNNING DOWN MY FACE. THE STREETS WILL RUN ORANGE WITH YOUR MIXTURE OF CHEETOS AND HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLS REGURGITATED AND EATEN AND SHIT OUT AGAIN AND EATEN AGAIN.

YOU ARE MY SCULPTURE, MY SCULPTRA, MY SELF-DEFINITION. MY DEFINITION OF HUMANITY, MY HARMONY. MY HEART AND MY MIND.

YOU ARE SO ORANGE. SO CRUNCHY. SO CONSUMABLE.

THE NEW ORANGE UNDERGROUND IS THE ORANGE UP MY ASS. AND YOUR ASS.

I LOVE YOU CHEETOS.
FissionMailed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:11 PM   #24
Charu
Snivy! Dohoho!
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Oh yeah, folks. I was helping Arc with this when he was testing it out, but... you all might be wondering what he meant by this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcnmx View Post
The game can also be used to play additional songs from alternate engine playlists.
Well, it's exactly what it sounds. With this new build, you can play alternate engine songs using FFR's R^3 engine. Better unifying an all in one package, oho.

For example sake, I'm going to use the Team Blaze engine since we have that.

Under options, you'll notice something called "engine playlist" and it'll ask for input. Well...

Using this link: http://teamblaze.zxq.net/r3.xml

And then selecting Team Blaze Engine as it loads up... You can access our playlist and even load our level swfs using R^3.

Arc can better explain this so everyone who has an engine up and running somewhere can have this work. But that's what he meant by that added feature.

EDIT: ALSO, here's a neat feature. You can actually play MP with alternate engine songs, granted the opponent is ALSO using R^3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRedWolf87 View Post
Charu the red-nosed Snivy
Had a very shiny nose
And if you ever saw it
You could even say it glows

All of the other Snivies
Used to laugh and call him names
They never let poor Charu
Join in any Snivy games

(Click the arrow to see the rest)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta21 View Post
All in all I would say that Charu not only won this game, his play made me reconsider how I play it.

Last edited by Charu; 04-13-2013 at 10:15 PM..
Charu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:21 PM   #25
m0de
Marble Eater
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to m0de

is there a way to screen cut?
Old 04-13-2013, 11:30 PM   #26
foxfire667
The FFRchiver
Retired StaffD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Wow, there is some really insane stuff going on with this new update, this is awesome! I'm testing a lot of the features at the moment, and after playing a couple of songs my timing actually feels pretty much correct (even with judge options on the old R^2 or 3 I couldn't get it to feel right for some odd reason). I might even ditch the old Velocity engine altogether if it still feels decent with harder files.

The only thing I'm wondering from what I have tested so far is why when you play a song segment, you don't get any score for that file. I can understand disabling score recording for the other modifications (it would be even better to receive grand-total score from songs played this way, but not have them record on leader boards if possible) but isolation is just that. You are literally just playing a segment of a song, so it isn't like you could achieve a score that is better than your best or something because of the option. Even if you could, it's just you playing the song normally, only with less possible arrows to hit.

It isn't like it's a big deal, but I'm sure the GTS could rack up a bit if someone is practicing a fairly longer section of a song several times. Might as well give them the GTS and play counts they earned.

I'm really interested in this alternate engine support, especially with multiplayer. That sounds ridiculously amazing, perhaps even good enough to get some more people in the lobby again if they find out.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:13 AM   #27
Xx{Midnight}xX
FFR Player

These updates are awesome, but if it could be re-sized ect to be just like the velocity / legacy engine I'd love it more because for some reason it reads and plays so differently and it drives me nuts.

But best to fix what's here first :3
Xx{Midnight}xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:23 AM   #28
Tarrik
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Tarrik Send a message via Skype™ to Tarrik

Epic Updates
Tarrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:29 AM   #29
DissonantMuse
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

I knew there had to be a good reason for the engine not being accessible earlier. Awesome updates!
Old 04-14-2013, 03:52 AM   #30
arcnmx
nanodesu~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX View Post
These updates are awesome, but if it could be re-sized ect to be just like the velocity / legacy engine I'd love it more because for some reason it reads and plays so differently and it drives me nuts.
It would be nice to basically have the game support themes and complete customization of the visuals so that everyone can feel right at home, haha. Will probably be a while though because other things do take priority :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire667 View Post
The only thing I'm wondering from what I have tested so far is why when you play a song segment, you don't get any score for that file. I can understand disabling score recording for the other modifications (it would be even better to receive grand-total score from songs played this way, but not have them record on leader boards if possible) but isolation is just that. You are literally just playing a segment of a song, so it isn't like you could achieve a score that is better than your best or something because of the option. Even if you could, it's just you playing the song normally, only with less possible arrows to hit.

It isn't like it's a big deal, but I'm sure the GTS could rack up a bit if someone is practicing a fairly longer section of a song several times. Might as well give them the GTS and play counts they earned.
You raise a good point, personally I feel like all the mods that disable score saving should still reward the player with GTS and credits. I believe there are serverside reasons why this won't happen but I'll look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charu View Post
Arc can better explain this so everyone who has an engine up and running somewhere can have this work. But that's what he meant by that added feature.
Yeah, I should expand on this. An alt engine site requires a permissive crossdomain.xml file such as this and an engine XML which is the link you give to R^3. The format is pretty self-explanatory if you look at Charu's example, the legacySync stuff is optional stuff needed for some engines where the sync differs between songs with different levelids. Another optional flag is ignoreCache="true" where the game will always reload the song between plays (useful for testing out songs as you chart them, mainly). If you need help with it just ask, but it's mostly up to the people hosting alt engines to support it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0de View Post
is there a way to screen cut?
There is not, it's something that still needs to be done.

Last edited by arcnmx; 04-14-2013 at 04:27 AM..
Old 04-14-2013, 02:05 PM   #31
Plan_Bsk81127
snooches

Send a message via AIM to Plan_Bsk81127 Send a message via Skype™ to Plan_Bsk81127

Get this error when I hit my restart key, the key still works and restarts the song, but still a pain to see this pop up whenever I want to restart lol

Quote:
TypeError: Error #1009: Cannot access a property or method of a null object reference.
at game::GamePlay/restartGame()[D:\Velocity\Dropbox\Velo FFR\rCubed\src\game\GamePlay.as:577]
at game::GamePlay/onEnterFrame()[D:\Velocity\Dropbox\Velo FFR\rCubed\src\game\GamePlay.as:393]
Plan_Bsk81127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:46 PM   #32
arcnmx
nanodesu~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Nice catch, it's a bug that happens because you have the judge display off. I assume you're seeing this because you're playing in a flash debugger player though, which you might want to switch out of as it's likely to cause performance issues.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:54 PM   #33
qqwref
stepmania archaeologist
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

This engine looks really good, but I'd like a few things I'm used to (partly from other engines):
- Ability to sort songs in a given list (name and difficulty are the big ones, ID and length are useful too for me)
- Ability to hide songs of specific types (at the very least, anything I've AAA'd)
- Have something in the options menu pointing out when a certain set of options won't allow you to record scores
- Screencut

Oh also, mini bug report, when playing Caprice the song info on the bottom of the screen kept popping up, and I have a feeling it'll happen to other songs as well.
qqwref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:57 PM   #34
justin_ator
🥓<strong><span style="col
Resident Overseer
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by qqwref View Post
- Have something in the options menu pointing out when a certain set of options won't allow you to record scores
Big +1, doubt it would be hard either (ex: * next to them, note at the bottom of settings saying a red * means it won't record score?)
Old 04-14-2013, 11:01 PM   #35
qqwref
stepmania archaeologist

Oh yeah, and while I'm here, how about an autoplay option
Old 04-15-2013, 02:20 AM   #36
popsicle_3000
Legendary Noob

Send a message via Skype™ to popsicle_3000

playing around on correspondances illumitees, i noticed that if 'no background' has a delay. as in if you turn no background off after having it on, that the next run through will have no background, and it'll still record. Lots of potential for people to cheat the system here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by qqwref View Post
Oh also, mini bug report, when playing Caprice the song info on the bottom of the screen kept popping up, and I have a feeling it'll happen to other songs as well.
its happened on r3 w/ legacy songs ever since velo fixed them to be able to play on this engine a while ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Winged Angel View Post
39,000 popsicles pro bg blue note arrow slayer whoa damn..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX View Post
one way to stream them all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
Right after sex, it skillboosted me by +10 levels from like a 35-45 about. (Which then 15 min's later I got really tired and couldn't play anymore)

But then my lady friend got pissed off I was playing FFR instead of playing her. Then for the rest of the night she played the 'Only want me for my body' card and I didn't get to sleep with blankets that night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesunfan View Post
replacing ifitypedhisnameaslargeashisnamesuggests,iwouldgetbanned with theelongatedaustrocanadian3000 (pop).
Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben_tate View Post
Title: Popsicle Three

Thousand the farthest
He's gone in an official
Whoop hip hip hooray!
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
kjwkjw: "oh my god, Tosh. Post that in the thread."

@popsicle_3000:
Danger incoming
The popsicles are melting
Three thousand of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
you got to ease the topic into some conversation and let it go from there

dynam0: man friend that was an intense sm session right?
friend: haha yeah you really nailed those patterns
dynam0: yeah man kind of like how gay dudes nail other gay dudes in the ass!
friend: hey bro can i tell you something
dynam0 yeah man whats up?
friend: hypothetically speaking would you care if i was bisexual or maybe even gay?
dynam0: bro we shower together after sm sessions all the time and i'll still shower with you even if you are gay or w/e thats your thing just dont try to ram my ass HAHAHA
friend: thanks man
dynam0: no problem man
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Winged Angel View Post
pop takin' time out of playing irl Trauma Center to check in on his fiffer buds (mm)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
Well, Popsicle won every award this year so it was canceled.
popsicle_3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #37
qqwref
stepmania archaeologist

Some more ideas for note coloring, which should be displayed separately from "Game Visual Mods". There could be regular, column colors, flat (all blue), half-note (blue->red, yellow->blue, orange->yellow, green->orange, pink->purple, cyan->pink), maybe even random. I'm thinking that this, and noteskins, should maybe be dropdowns to avoid cluttering the option screen when we add new features. There are already like 4 or so FFR noteskins that aren't included here, and it'd be cool to be able to add new ones without having to reposition options every time.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:17 PM   #38
sticklydude
r.i.p. tiny hippo

Send a message via Skype™ to sticklydude

Love the changes. The only this I want from this is an option to remove the footer, or an option to make it non-transparant. I used the screencut funtion in r^2 to kind of emulate the non-transparancy.
sticklydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:58 PM   #39
One Winged Angel
Anime Avatars ( ◜◡^)っ✂╰⋃╯
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I had no idea FFR could run this smooth, god damn. And scramble is fun as shit.

Love it, great work. Add a AAA filter and I'll be beyond content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikexd View Post
i want to be cucked by cirno
One Winged Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:51 PM   #40
igotrhythm
Fractals!
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to igotrhythm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charu View Post
EDIT: ALSO, here's a neat feature. You can actually play MP with alternate engine songs, granted the opponent is ALSO using R^3.
Great, now I gotta go clean myself up because I couldn't reach the Kleenex in time.
igotrhythm is offline   Reply With Quote