Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat

Old 10-13-2006, 09:21 AM   #1
Specforces
Yes
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Specforces
Default Those of you who are apathetic of world situations, pay attention.

I copy and pasted most of this, I just thought it was worth a share.

Artemii Lebedev, one of the leading web-designers in Russia, recently went on a trip to DPRK. Here are some of his photos. With translations from a guy on edodo.org, the Air Force Academies underground comic book and forum.

On your arrival at the airport you need to leave your cellphone, no roaming service is avaliable but if you select an operator manually you get PRK 03 although he never saw a single person with a cell-phone. Laptops are allowed it seems that north koreans are not aware of cards that can make your laptop to work like a cellphone.

The only house where a foreigner will be ever allowed on his visit. It's a model-house of a model-farmworker of a model-collective farm. There is even something that looks like a computer, made of components that are not even plugged together. Internet does not exist, only intranet is available.

On your arrival you will be assigned to a guide and a driver. That will constantly follow you. You can't leave the hotel on your own. The daily program consists of 2-3 visits to a landmark. In the hotel you can watch BBC,NTV (russian chan),and a couple of chinese channels, so you can't really complain about freedom of speech. The food is good, and you can't complain about that either. In a park he saw elder women picking up herbs, the guide said that it was for the rabbits, although it was clear that it was the kind of herb that the "owners of the rabbits" could eat.

you see people selling some kind of a vegetable, that was taken next to a fruits and veggies store, they immediatly closed the door as they saw a tourist.

North Koreans are always amazed when they see a white man.

The plaster statues are clean and not broken apart. North Korea is a perfect reproduction of the year 1950.

They still havent figured out how to make flat glass withtout bubbles, the only exception are the windows in the hotel or large vitrines.

Oil is almost non-existant, so much of the labor is manual.

Water seems to only be readily available in major cities, this woman is cleaning her clothes in a little stream.

Life in a village.

When building in a city they tend to block the old houses with tall bulidings , if that is not possible they put a concrete fence so you would only see the roof.
As soon as you try to take a picture different from the magazine "Korea" the guide will say: "why are you taking a picture" "it's forbidden here"

Koreans are not shy when it comes to basic needs, the guide forbid to take pictures of men taking a piss on the middle of the road, but there was no problem when it happened in the capital next to to a monument (look at the guy on the steps)

The big monument, (they cut off the electricity at 11)

The city at night is scary, there is no light on the streets and people use white lights and no curtains.

The whole Pyongyang is like this, when he asked the guide about the old houses the guide said that old people didn't want to move out in the new ones and like it that way

The mausoleum

You have to button up your shirt and look serious, and leave eveything except your sunglasses at the entrance, you will have to go trough an x-ray scanner (which no one tells you about), and for some reason there is a wi-fi router. The statue is white, and the light on top is blue and on the bottom is red. And its called a "visit" because the Great Leader is still "alive"

About 10% of the population serves in the military, its impossible not to cross soldiers.

They do everything, taking care of the cattle, picking up wood, and ride 40 persons in a truck

As a form of entertainement both Koreas will take you to a visit to the border. Look at the difference in the roads.

The border.
In various roads all across NK there are these blocks on the sides of the road, preparing for invasion, used to stop tanks and trap them.

Just in case they put those things up on every road in the radius of 50km from the border, they are often decorated.

NK defends itself not only from imperialist agressors, every neighborhood is defended. Once by a coincidence, he took a picture of that building with AC on every window. Of couse he was told that he's not allowed to take the picture. Apparantly this is not an ordinary house, maybe scientists live there.

The only ads in NK, an advertisment for a car (made in cooperation with the South) that you will only see in the capital, there are 3 different banners/models.

Banners with Kim Il, who calls up people for heroic acts. For some reason Kim is young.

You can often see pictures of Kim Jon Suk (wife of Kim Il) Like his composition is called "Comarade Kim Jon Suk is saving Kim Il), but Kim Il is shown even more often

Bronze is often used in the monument, here you can see the worker, the farmworker and the intellectual.

In every place you will have a Pole with a citation of the great leader.

Every citizen has a pin of Kim Il, except for little children, waiters (the pin is probably hidden by work clothes), and Kim Il himself
You cannot buy this pin.

That means that a food joint is near, by the way even in China they draw a fork.

Everyone is walking, sometimes they take packed public transportatins made of tramways, trolleys and even 2 storie buses. The bicycles are rare and expensive.
The pedestrian zebra is original.

In Pyongyang there is a lot of underground passages for crossing the street, everyone respects the rules, if you cross the street where you're not supposed to you get a fine, even if the road usually looks like this.

Traffic signs warn you of other traffic signs.

The drivers never stop in front of pedestrians, they constantly honk. The guide coulnt not explain the lack of reflex of the pedetrians when they hear a car. In the countryside people walk wherever they want, like there is no cars at all.

You can't move freely in NK, you need authorisations, and you have check-points everywhere. When the car crossed teh check point, the driver flashed the lights, perhaps its a meaning that a foreigner is on board.

Traffic lights exist but they dont work.

What the cars look like.

Portait of Father and Son (to be found in every home)

And thats another village, but those houses don't exist in NK, the driver took a "wrong turn."

Sometimes you get to see a martian landscape.

The hotel, construction was abandoned in 1991, its not recomended to take pictures of it when you're close.

Whatever.

Koreans have the habit to walk with their hands behind their back, men rarely wear light and flashy colors. Thats an excusion to the cemetary of the revolutionaries.

A rare view of the city.

Wow.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:37 AM   #2
emptiness
FFR Player

Send a message via Yahoo to emptiness
Default Re: Stunning and Strange world of NK

I'd like to visit the DMZ one day...if it'll still be there.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:43 AM   #3
sleeplessdragn
~Bang that beat Harder~
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tOXLQethoMo

Obligatory Arirang festival post.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:26 AM   #4
Specforces
Yes
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

We should all feel fortunate to live in countries that allow us more freedom than this one.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:20 PM   #5
sertman
DADALADAH
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to sertman Send a message via MSN to sertman
Default Re: Those of you that are apathetic of world situations, pay attention.

Where are the telescreens?

sertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 01:43 PM   #6
Skikamukazi
FFR Player

I really want to go racing with my motorcycle on those roads.

But yeah, I feel fortunate to live in America.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:52 PM   #7
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean

So... because the country sucks for it's citizens, the leader is going to use nuclear weapons in an offensive rather than defensive manner?

I mean, I can see why this thread is relevent, but to title it as to address it to the apathetic doesn't make any sense to me.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:16 PM   #8
sertman
DADALADAH
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to sertman Send a message via MSN to sertman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean View Post
So... because the country sucks for it's citizens, the leader is going to use nuclear weapons in an offensive rather than defensive manner?
Please point me to the part of that post that did so much as imply that thought, or even the part that did so much as imply that "world situations" was referring to the North Korea nuclear situation at all.

sertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 02:19 PM   #9
MCRenaissance
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to MCRenaissance Send a message via MSN to MCRenaissance

Quote:
Originally Posted by sertman View Post
Please point me to the part of that post that did so much as imply that thought, or even the part that did so much as imply that "world situations" was referring to the North Korea nuclear situation at all.
Yeah Afro, seriously.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:43 PM   #10
Cenright
You thought I was a GUY?!
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Location: Beaumont (A town with 25 times fewer people than this site)
Send a message via AIM to Cenright Send a message via MSN to Cenright Send a message via Yahoo to Cenright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean View Post
No, you missed the point. The government and its leader want power. The country is like this as a way for the leader to keep power. The leader wants MORE power.

This is about people wanting power. Heck there are tons of people in the USA who do the same thing, they just have to find a different definition of what power entails. Why do you think there is a lot of politics in the USA that is muckraking?

The leader in North Korea though was in a place where he could go to a higher extreme, to have more power.

Everyone wants to feel like they have importance somehow. It means they aren't meaningless. The question is, what are you going to try or think to make yourself feel important?
Cenright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 03:16 PM   #11
Specforces
Yes
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Yeah, this isn't about the Nuclear weapon situation, but rather it's about a nation completely raped by its psychopathic leader. This isn't the only place around the world like this either.

Who knows though? The citizens could be better off with the dictator than without, like Iraq was. And by "better off" of course I am speaking of the lesser of two evils. Either way, these people are facing horrible conditions and horrible lives, and they might not ever know any better.

The world is an insane place.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:42 PM   #12
hi19hi19
lol happy
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

What's with the unfinished "hotel"?

Was that a bomb or something?

hi19hi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 03:58 PM   #13
Specforces
Yes
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

No, they just never bothered to fund the building for it anymore, money probably went to something else for the psycho dictator.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:04 PM   #14
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean

Honestly, some of that stuff doesn't sound that bad compared to some of the things I've heard about more undeveloped countries, and I was really impressed by some of the archetecture (that hotel looks amazing... it's too bad it's unfinished) and art (even if the art is propaganda).
Old 10-13-2006, 04:52 PM   #15
D4rkAng3l
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

theyre missing out on alot of things. S. Korea is alot better since the US is helping it while no one is helping N. Korea. thats just a really sad thing about N. Korea.thanks for the picks

P.S. im chinese and i recently came from a vacation in china and the people there just walk like there are no cars too i always thought that they were fearless or somthin
D4rkAng3l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 12:08 AM   #16
purebloodtexan
FFR Player

Location: In front of the speakers, banging my head until I get a nosebleed.
Send a message via AIM to purebloodtexan

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4rkAng3l View Post
theyre missing out on alot of things. S. Korea is alot better since the US is helping it while no one is helping N. Korea. thats just a really sad thing about N. Korea.thanks for the picks

P.S. im chinese and i recently came from a vacation in china and the people there just walk like there are no cars too i always thought that they were fearless or somthin
well, in america, it's a habit to stay out the car's way, they might've started the auto age differently

on with my comments on the pictures

Quote:

The only house where a foreigner will be ever allowed on his visit. It's a model-house of a model-farmworker of a model-collective farm. There is even something that looks like a computer, made of components that are not even plugged together. Internet does not exist, only intranet is available.
then why is the computer even there!?

Quote:
On your arrival you will be assigned to a guide and a driver. That will constantly follow you.
Quote:

you see people selling some kind of a vegetable, that was taken next to a fruits and veggies store, they immediatly closed the door as they saw a tourist.
Quote:

When building in a city they tend to block the old houses with tall bulidings , if that is not possible they put a concrete fence so you would only see the roof.
As soon as you try to take a picture different from the magazine "Korea" the guide will say: "why are you taking a picture" "it's forbidden here"
Quote:

You can't move freely in NK, you need authorisations, and you have check-points everywhere. When the car crossed teh check point, the driver flashed the lights, perhaps its a meaning that a foreigner is on board.
i dare a UN inspector to ask "you're not hiding anything, are you?"

Quote:
Koreans are not shy when it comes to basic needs, the guide forbid to take pictures of men taking a piss on the middle of the road, but there was no problem when it happened in the capital next to to a monument (look at the guy on the steps)
does this mean that they put more into their roads than their monuments?

Quote:
The city at night is scary, there is no light on the streets and people use white lights and no curtains.
the death rate HAS to be high in NK

Quote:

As a form of entertainement both Koreas will take you to a visit to the border. Look at the difference in the roads.
if doctors study other doctors' work, NK should study other countries

Quote:
Traffic lights exist but they dont work.
what, did they give up funding in those too?

my comments may sound biased, oh well
purebloodtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 12:16 PM   #17
xjohnieboyx
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to xjohnieboyx Send a message via MSN to xjohnieboyx
Default Re: Those of you who are apathetic of world situations, pay attention.

That picture with the Russian writing on it says "Look, an African-American(politically correct term) in pink."

I feel fortunate, indeed.
xjohnieboyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 12:29 PM   #18
*treyvo*
Banned

nice article, spec.
*treyvo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 04:46 PM   #19
Snapps
NO DOUBT GET LOUD
FFR Simfile Author

cool
Snapps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 04:56 PM   #20
WillTalbot
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to WillTalbot Send a message via MSN to WillTalbot Send a message via Yahoo to WillTalbot

Thanks for sharing
WillTalbot is offline   Reply With Quote