Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Audio and Music Production
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2011, 08:07 PM   #1
DJAirWave
Why am I still here?
FFR Music Producer

Default [UK Hardcore] Thumper

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCmHrfycets

Not exactly sure what genre this song falls into, I think it's closest to UK Hardcore. I incorporated some 8 bit sound into it, hope it blends in well.

Feedback is appreciated.
DJAirWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:12 PM   #2
Starshot
/DJS\
FFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to Starshot Send a message via MSN to Starshot Send a message via Yahoo to Starshot
Default Re: [UK Hardcore] Thumper

UK Hardcore composer and fanatic here. If this review seems too harsh, it's because it is.

First and formost, this may be youtube speaking, but everything is mixed WAYtoo fucking low. Typically in hardcore, you see the bassdrum comfortably sitting in the mids while the bassline takes up the lower sections. In this piece, the bassdrum is very obviously taking up the lower frequencies, causing everything to be muddy and odd sounding.

This low frequency mush gets even worse at about 3:36 when the low frequency arp comes into play. I don't know what the hell you were thinking, but that just muddies up everything even more to the point of near unlistenableness (if that's even a damn word). If you need to make the chorus more interesting, change the melody itself, don't add to the bassline that is suppose to be the cornerstone of the entire tune. Also, I don't like the long attack on the bassline, but that's my own personal pet peeve.

The melody is good, albeit forgettable. I feel like I've heard it before, primarily with the patches that you use. We've heard that triangle-Saw combo before several times in hardcore, so your tune can get lost in the crowd of hardcore already flooding the market. This is ENTIRELY my own opinion through, and if you don't agree with it, throw my advice to the wind.

You might want to consider adding a vocal sample to the song as well, to have your listener have something to attach to besides just notes. Let's face it, the most popular hardcore tunes now a'days have samples and vocal work that drive them and jam them into your head. This doesn't, and it ultimately leaves us wondering if we just just heard a cheap rip off of Rose with a little bit of Japanese hardcore thrown in for good measure.

That breakdown between the intro and the chorus also seems really, really, really long to me, but that's my own opinion. Also, your mix and mix out are extremely hard for DJs to mix, primarily due to the fact that the primary action happens on the offbeat.

All and all, I just don't like it. It's forgettable and just plain... weak. Hardcore is supposed to be hard, uplifting, and and downright crazy. This just seems like some quick trance with meager individualistic values, ala "Darren Styles" syndrome.

PS - For God's sake, use Soundcloud. Upping crap to YouTube cuts the quality in half and makes the mixing EXTREMELY hard to judge.

I know it seemed like I ripped into you, but that's just how I critique, and how I expect critique.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:32 PM   #3
DJAirWave
Why am I still here?
FFR Music Producer

YouTube has caused the poor quality, the mp3 itself is just fine. I've never used Soundcloud before, I may give it a try.

As far as the melody, this is my first time trying this kind of music. However, I am getting sick and tired of my music being compared to CnB music, it may inadvertently sound the same, but I've always been compared to him in the past and I feel it's not really necessary.

I appreciate the comment, and I know I won't please everyone, but if a considerable amount of people agree with you then I may just go back to Hardstyle.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:35 PM   #4
Starshot
/DJS\
FFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to Starshot Send a message via MSN to Starshot Send a message via Yahoo to Starshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAirWave View Post
However, I am getting sick and tired of my music being compared to CnB music.
You use the same patches and samples. It was bound to happen soon enough.

Also, just because my critique is hard doesn't mean you should stop making hardcore. Strive for it. Don't let a little setback keep you down. Keep going.

Last edited by Starshot; 01-13-2011 at 10:42 PM..
Starshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:50 PM   #5
DJAirWave
Why am I still here?
FFR Music Producer

I know I use a lot of the same stuff, but that's what I can afford in this economy.

I don't quit when it comes to music, but normally I stick with my niche which is Trance and Hardstyle. I'll continue this style of music and time will tell if it's worth to keep going.

Here are some examples of songs that can sound like CnB, I made them when FFR has been down:

http://www.soundclick.com/player/sin...&q=hi&newref=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVdW80icflM
Old 01-18-2011, 12:03 PM   #6
kid_merkury
I make good music
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

People stil buy samples these days? Damn I'm impressed lol

PSN: kid_merkury
kid_merkury is offline   Reply With Quote