Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR General Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-7-2008, 06:48 PM   #1
Garquillex
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Unhappy Overcoming a handicap, need suggestions from experienced players

My right-hand index/middle are unnaturally fast. Me left-hand (all of it) is... not very good. And it also suffers from chronic pain just under the knuckles. It only hurts after some fatigue, so I want to keep that fatigue low while playing competitively 2-handed.

That means I want to take pressure off my left hand and add it to my much more capable right hand. Being an on-and-off player for 3 years, I have always stuck with the 1 hand 3 index method. Sure, it might fit me pretty well, but I no longer want to stick with it. Now I need to find a hybrid-spread method to accommodate my respective abilities. I don't think I can do that on my own though. I'm not familiar with the higher-end playing to the point where I can gauge the best options. Hell, the best I've done is almost FC'ing Raindrops, missing 3 all the way at the very end of that speedy chain at the end of the song.

I'm considering looking into split arrows/diagonal arrows. I read somewhere that it essentially takes some 2-handed trills and makes them one-handed, which is normally a problem for spread players, but is good for me since my 2 fingers can tap faster than the fastest trills. And in respect to that I want to setup a format that can let me choose different keys for different situations, which is only doable with both the in-game keymapping and the program for keymapping, which means there would be duplicates of most keys on the keyboard surrounding KL or whatever other 2 keys my right hand uses. I think this may be taking things too far, but it seems that it is evened out by the added complexity of managing 5-9 keys instead of 4. Edit: Extra keymapping has been cleared up as cheating.

Tell me what you think about the split arrows.

Last edited by Garquillex; 08-8-2008 at 05:03 PM.. Reason: Better formulated my ideas for split arrows and keymapping
Garquillex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-7-2008, 07:03 PM   #2
ballaw hare
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Overcoming a handicap, need suggestions from experienced players

In the options pane in FFR you can change the keys. Try something like QWOP.
ballaw hare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-7-2008, 07:05 PM   #3
iluswirl
Clueless & Comfortable
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to iluswirl

The best I can figure is that you play a traditional spread (left hand on left/down arrow keys and right hand on Number pad 8 and 6 keys). That way, when you had a difficult trill for left hand, you could switch your right hand to cover both of the keys being hit. I'm not sure if that would work, but it's worth a try.
iluswirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-7-2008, 07:07 PM   #4
Garquillex
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballaw hare View Post
In the options pane in FFR you can change the keys. Try something like QWOP.
Well I already included the default spread setting. I said that I couldn't do the normal spread method because I need further customization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluswirl View Post
The best I can figure is that you play a traditional spread (left hand on left/down arrow keys and right hand on Number pad 8 and 6 keys). That way, when you had a difficult trill for left hand, you could switch your right hand to cover both of the keys being hit. I'm not sure if that would work, but it's worth a try.
I can't do that position because of my left hand. It's slow 'and' weak.

Last edited by Garquillex; 08-7-2008 at 07:11 PM..
Old 08-7-2008, 07:10 PM   #5
foilman8805
smoke wheat hail satin
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Is your left index worth anything?

You could do a hybrid spread that just uses your left index, and then your right index, middle, and ring on a set up something like (t, i, o, p).

That way the majority of the work is on your right hand, and your left just uses your strongest finger I hope.

This is a very tricky set up though, and would definitely take some time to get used to. It's simply a suggestion.
foilman8805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-7-2008, 09:49 PM   #6
Beethovens mask
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by foilman8805 View Post

You could do a hybrid spread that just uses your left index, and then your right index, middle, and ring on a set up something like (t, i, o, p).

That way the majority of the work is on your right hand, and your left just uses your strongest finger I hope.

This is a very tricky set up though, and would definitely take some time to get used to. It's simply a suggestion.
Yes.
Beethovens mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-8-2008, 12:18 AM   #7
One Winged Angel
Anime Avatars ( ◜◡^)っ✂╰⋃╯
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I think Destiny plays like that, except he uses the left arrow with his left index, and then 2, 8, and 6 on the numpad with his right index, middle, and ring fingers respectively...and he's one of the top players on the site.

It seems like an extremely difficult style to master, but he proved that it isn't impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikexd View Post
i want to be cucked by cirno
One Winged Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-8-2008, 12:33 AM   #8
Xx{Midday}xX
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Location: My own world. Miserable. Disgusting. Appalling. Pessimistic. Horrific. Terrible.
Send a message via AIM to Xx{Midday}xX Send a message via MSN to Xx{Midday}xX

Hybrid Spread: (L middle, L index, R middle, R ring), just so you all know, hybrid spread means something now =)

Destiny plays like this: lxDestinyxl - [num4 num2 num8 num6] (L middle, R index, R middle, R ring)

つまんないシグでスマソ(´・ω・`)
Xx{Midday}xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-8-2008, 12:38 AM   #9
One Winged Angel
Anime Avatars ( ◜◡^)っ✂╰⋃╯
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

feh, close enough, rofl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikexd View Post
i want to be cucked by cirno
One Winged Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-8-2008, 09:23 AM   #10
Garquillex
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

I put this in the first post, but I'll put it here too.

I'm considering looking into split arrows/diagonal arrows. I read somewhere that it essentially takes some 2-handed trills and makes them one-handed, which is normally a problem for spread players, but is good for me since my 2 fingers can tap faster than the fastest trills. And in respect to that I want to setup a format that can let me choose different keys for different situations, which is only doable with both the in-game keymapping and the program for keymapping, which means there would be duplicates of most keys on the keyboard surrounding KL or whatever other 2 keys my right hand uses. I think this may be taking things too far, but it seems that it is evened out by the added complexity of managing 5-9 keys instead of 4.

Tell me what you think about the split arrows and the extra keymapping.

Quote:

I'm not so sure about just making it 1-finger/3-finger. I think that will be the final choice should everything else fail. I've already spent time with it last week, and I don't see any cons about using it yet. I just think the idea I'm still shaping may be superior, or at least for me.
Old 08-8-2008, 10:53 AM   #11
Flaming_Dingleberry
Everybody gets one.
FFR Veteran

Arrow Re: Overcoming a handicap, need suggestions from experienced players

Quote:
Originally Posted by garquillex View Post
My right-hand index/middle are unnaturally fast. Me left-hand (all of it) is... not very good. That means I want to take pressure off my left hand and add it to my much more capable right hand. Hell, the best I've done is almost FC'ing Raindrops, missing 3 all the way at the very end of that speedy chain at the end of the song. I'm considering looking into split arrows/diagonal arrows. I read somewhere that 2-handed trills are normally a problem for spread players, but is good for me since my 2 fingers can tap faster than the fastest trills. Tell me what you think about the split arrows and the extra keymapping.
Don't try to arrange the game in your right hand's favor, change your left hand to accommodate your right hand's speed. Also, it doesn't matter how fast your fingers are, it's all about control, especially if you can't FC Raindrops, you definitely don't need to be fast for that song, just control. Once you can control them to accommodate the rhythm of the song, then you can practice and eventually speed it up to faster songs. And even though your two fingers can tap faster than 20+ taps per second (the fastest trill I can think of [I don't believe you]), if you don't have control, you're limited to exactly 20 taps per second, and 15 taps per second would take much more control than you have right now, even though it's slower than what you're capable of. Split and diagonal arrows might help, but I can't tell you if they will, you'll just have to try it and figure it out yourself. Extra keymapping is cheating.
Flaming_Dingleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-8-2008, 11:02 AM   #12
infinity.
sideways 8
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to infinity.

Quote:

actually it's not that tricky,

ive always played with my right ring finger, so when i wanted to try spread thats how i set it up. It's actually fairly conveinent, and doesnt really have any weaknesses besides a right middle/right ring trill

nerds
infinity. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-8-2008, 11:07 AM   #13
thechild
FFR Player

Too bad double set-up is against the rules..
thechild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-8-2008, 04:59 PM   #14
Garquillex
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechild View Post
Too bad double set-up is against the rules..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming_Dingleberry View Post
Extra keymapping is cheating.
Alright, I was wondering that. I had that exact question in the first post originally, but it was lost when I revised it. I didn't know what double-setup meant when I read about it originally. I suppose 2 pseudo-arrowpads would be... very effective. So it's restricted directly to 4 keys? Well that blows 90% of my hopes out of the water.
Old 08-8-2008, 11:09 PM   #15
AznGreen
FFR Player

Send a message via Yahoo to AznGreen

That's how everybody starts off. I used to get cramps all the time because i was new at it and wasn't used to it. just keep playing and it'll go away.

AznGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-8-2008, 11:36 PM   #16
hi19hi19
lol happy
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Play with your toes, then.

Sure you don't score as well, but it's mad fun!

hi19hi19 is offline   Reply With Quote