Old 02-11-2019, 05:16 PM   #1
kawaiifu
Ostensibly retired
FFR Veteran

Default Tokens and Rates

Tokens have been a long standing means of rewarding players for their efforts and dedication to the game. Rates have been a popular means for players to set their own goals and push their efforts beyond what the standard song asks for.

When it comes down to skill or anti-skill tokens, it's needless to say rates less than 1.0 invalidate the challenges set and shouldn't be rewarded and I could just be lazy, but I feel as though if a player can meet the prerequisite for a token on a higher rate they should be rewarded no less. Does anybody know of any cases of skill tokens on FFR they think could provide a reasonable defence for rates greater than 1.0 not being applicable for token unlocks? If not, can this thread be a really formal request?

Also I think that if the idea were to be implemented, it would open up a whole new avenue of tailored unique token experiences to players. Imagining revisiting simpler files to crank up the tempo and unlock a cover of the song you just played or an even harder version of the chart. For an example it could be something like AAA "Your Song Here" on 1.25x to unlock "Your Song Here v2" or AAA "Your Song Here" on 1.5x to unlock "Your Song Here V3". It could faciliate a nested tier system that might even flashflashrevolutionize the game.

So yeah, two goals for this thread: discuss the idea >1 rates counting towards tokens and if the idea is successful, share ideas about possible rate-related token unlocks that would compliment a hypothetical update where tokens become rate inclusive.

What do you think?
kawaiifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 05:33 PM   #2
xXOpkillerXx
Forever OP
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Tokens and Rates

1. Some rare exceptional files can become easier on a certain rate > 1. For example Skeletor, a clear case. So that would have to be checked first (chances are it has no impact on the token files/requirements though). Also, I don't know if that's been fixed with air, but not everybody could play rates without increased lag.

2. Same argument kinda. Probably has been thought of before but that's on admins for introducing tokens when they want and they need the files too.

Not unrealistic though.
xXOpkillerXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:56 AM   #3
SK8R43
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I agree that rates above 1 should record, but it does make some songs easier as mentioned already. Also, i assume someone who makes a file and puts it on here does it for the music mostly and rates effect sound by quite a bit and also makes songs shorter.

If they recorded it would make farming grand total and getting credits WAY easier and faster which is something they would have to keep in mind as well. Some tokens and skill tokens would be easier achieved by this method as well and longer songs like the impresario would become easier despite it being "harder" since the rate is going up.

Theres so much that goes into rates recording that i really dont see it happening. Just play rates to improve and in theory it should make the song easier on 1x rate.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:02 PM   #4
Hakulyte
the Haku
Retired StaffD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I tend to believe that the reason why rates above 1 doesn't record right now is because there's currently no "rates leaderboard" or any form of tracking yet for this.
If that structure takes place and they decide that rates above 1 should record for scoring, it makes sense to believe that the same will be true for token unlocks.

Is there enough insensitive to want to do this ?

How could it work ? How do you consolidate AAA equivalency with rates ? Is it strictly for allowing players to AAA easier songs ?
Could it be for "speedrunning" reasons ? Is there more to this ?
etc. etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK8R43 View Post
If they recorded it would make farming grand total and getting credits WAY easier and faster which is something they would have to keep in mind as well.
It's already recording grandtotal and credits.
Hakulyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:26 PM   #5
SK8R43
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakulyte View Post
I tend to believe that the reason why rates above 1 doesn't record right now is because there's currently no "rates leaderboard" or any form of tracking yet for this.
If that structure takes place and they decide that rates above 1 should record for scoring, it makes sense to believe that the same will be true for token unlocks.

Is there enough insensitive to want to do this ?

How could it work ? How do you consolidate AAA equivalency with rates ? Is it strictly for allowing players to AAA easier songs ?
Could it be for "speedrunning" reasons ? Is there more to this ?
etc. etc.

It's already recording grandtotal and credits.
Since when lol?