Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat

Old 11-22-2019, 02:35 PM   #21
Charu
Snivy! Dohoho!
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Who all is going to delete their youtube channel come Jan 1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackskull305 View Post
Coming up next, a new act which fines parents $42,000 if they neglect to bubble wrap their children before they leave the house.
I'm totally expecting in the future, least in the US, where you can't even turn on anything that could potentially connect to the Internet unless you read paragraphs among paragraphs of legal statements stating that you must be 13 or older to use said device. And then when you do go through all the legal statements, every single channel, website, whatever will have the same amount of legaleze to make sure you're aware that you must be 13 or older to watch/use/play/whatever.

All because parents don't want to do what they're suppose to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRedWolf87 View Post
Charu the red-nosed Snivy
Had a very shiny nose
And if you ever saw it
You could even say it glows

All of the other Snivies
Used to laugh and call him names
They never let poor Charu
Join in any Snivy games

(Click the arrow to see the rest)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta21 View Post
All in all I would say that Charu not only won this game, his play made me reconsider how I play it.
Charu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 02:36 PM   #22
inDheart
Picker @ JAX2
FFR Simfile Author

i mean like, it's whatever, if i get swept into something then i know a lawyer who's been paying attention and could possibly be interested in building a class

just ban the fuckers until their parents submit their paper form like we all "had" "to" in 2003. i really would've liked it more if they set it up as an additional age gate so i could physically prevent 12-minus-year-olds from having to encounter my content
inDheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 02:56 PM   #23
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to MixMasterLar Send a message via Skype™ to MixMasterLar

I think the chances of a class action lawsuit against YouTube for breaking the law and basically punishing the content they encouraged before they where caught has a seriously good chance of being a successful claim.

Theoretically I don't run ads on my videos so I shouldn't even have to worry about this shit buy YouTube, against my will and without my permission, still collects data on the people who watch my videos so I don't see how I don't have a case when their actions lead to the FTC fining me 42K

But that does lead to the question of what happens when, say, Pony Canyon claims your video and runs ads themselves. Like if it's a targeted ad and the FTC decides that Fatal Frame 3 is for children (ha) does Pony Canyon get the fine for forcing the ad on there against my will or do I get it as the video owner.

What a fucking mess

EDIT:It appears that as long as data is being mined it doesn't matter who benefits from the ad. So it's down to the video owner being responsible or YouTube being responsible because they mine shit

YouTube is trying to pass the buck and say that we should mark videos if they are for kids so they can blacklist them forever and if we don't, it isn't their fault if they mine some kid's data. Legally, YouTube doesn't have to have our videos visible but that's a clear hostage situation and I have a hard time wrapping my mind around the idea that nothing couldn't be done about it if content creators start getting career ending fines because of something YouTube decided to do on it's own.

Facebook / Youtube / Twitter

Last edited by MixMasterLar; 11-22-2019 at 03:06 PM..
MixMasterLar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 03:22 PM   #24
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager
Game Manager, Song Release Coordinator
Game ManagerSimfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

A good consideration is that if shit really hits the fan, you can start downloading the videos from your channel now (if you're the owner, you can download your videos in the Studio view) and consider another website to host them on.
DossarLX ODI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 03:33 PM   #25
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to MixMasterLar Send a message via Skype™ to MixMasterLar

I would ideally move everything to Facebook but the FTC is more or less internet wide I don't think any site big enough for consideration would be off their radar for that long.

Downloading videos you think might get purged unfairly, especially from older inactive channels, is something to consider. I'm sure we all know ways to accomplish downloading a YT video

Old 11-22-2019, 05:39 PM   #26
DaBackpack
~ お ま ん こ ~

Send a message via Skype™ to DaBackpack

This isn't a YouTube-specific thing, it applies to literally all websites that collect info from their users. YouTube is absolutely in the firing line because of their popularity, but if everyone migrated to DailyMotion, you'd still be in the crosshairs.

YouTube sucks tremendous ass and consistently forces its legal problems onto the content creators instead of actually implementing meaningful change from the inside... that's the real reason you should leave YouTube, not because of COPPA.

At any rate, I'd suggest everyone actually go and read the legislation since there's a lot of misinformation and fearmongering out there. I don't think there's a huge reason to be concerned, unless you deliberately misrepresent your content to market to children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogy View Post
no one cares
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWG Dan Hedgehog View Post
there are 743 matches for hedgehog suicide on deviantart
that's kind of a sad statistic

Last edited by DaBackpack; 11-22-2019 at 05:41 PM..
DaBackpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 05:48 PM   #27
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

If actual humans review my content I'm not concern.

If YouTube gives them a bot like it does to the companies that copyright shit for a living, then that's an entire other issue

Old 11-22-2019, 05:51 PM   #28
DaBackpack
~ お ま ん こ ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMasterLar View Post

If YouTube gives them a bot like it does to the companies that copyright shit for a living, then that's an entire other issue
They're gonna use machine learning, I promise you. That falls under good reasons to leave YouTube, given their track record.

Their algorithms are extremely good at what they're trained to do: make YouTube money and save their asses from legal or PR trouble. They straight-up do not give a shit about their content creators.

Capitalism, etc

Quote:
no one cares
Quote:
Old 11-22-2019, 05:56 PM   #29
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

I mean, I could switch my stuff to Facebook and get just as many views/make as much money as I ever have (zero bucks)

It's legit just seeing half the platform get wrecked and everyone basically having to abandoned ship that gets my goat.

you are absolutely right that we should have all gotten off YouTube a long time ago, so I guess when you stand in traffic you can't lay 100% of the blame on the car that's hitting you.

Old 11-22-2019, 06:00 PM   #30
DaBackpack
~ お ま ん こ ~

Quote:
I mean, I could switch my stuff to Facebook and get just as many views/make as much money as I ever have (zero bucks)

It's legit just seeing half the platform get wrecked and everyone basically having to abandoned ship that gets my goat.

you are absolutely right that we should have all gotten off YouTube a long time ago, so I guess when you stand in traffic you can't lay 100% of the blame on the car that's hitting you.
Well I mean, I'm not bringing these things up to rhetorically suggest that people leave YouTube or are stupid for not doing so; it's more for me to point the finger at YouTube instead of at COPPA. YouTube is the problem, they caused this. We need to hold them accountable.

Something that would be wonderful (but will never happen) is if prominent YouTubers unionized. Same with Uber and really any distributed "service" that builds fortunes off the backs of content creators or service-providers.

Quote:
no one cares
Quote:
Old 11-22-2019, 06:01 PM   #31
mellonxcollie
Sectional Moderator
TGB Queen
Sectional Moderator

Send a message via AIM to mellonxcollie Send a message via MSN to mellonxcollie Send a message via Skype™ to mellonxcollie

Quote:
They are judging a book by it's cover; it's if the video is enticing to kids/would want to make them click. You swearing halfway through/saying it's for an adult/boarding a plane with your butt doesn't factor into it. Because animation and cartoons are named as for children this could be a fucking huge issue for art channels, anime communities, etc. Also do videogame characters count as cartoons? I mean look at my sig there's Crash Bandicoot down there is he a cartoon that entices kids to click?
The video I'm talking about is a tour of the city museum (all ages playground) in St Louis and is titled "City Museum Outdoor Playground!!" or something. I have another one of ipatch going down the Ten Storey Slide there. (aside, that hurts your ass A LOT would not recommend)

I could see some bullshit algorithm pulling some shit on me for those videos. I mean does a tourist video showing a giant playground and slide appeal to kids? probably? But I definitely didn't make it for that purpose? idk. It's just so weird to me that it's so open ended that it could basically apply to anything, even people who posted silly tourist videos in 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
people like you are how trump gets elected
mellonxcollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 06:13 PM   #32
DaBackpack
~ お ま ん こ ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellonxcollie View Post
The video I'm talking about is a tour of the city museum (all ages playground) in St Louis and is titled "City Museum Outdoor Playground!!" or something. I have another one of ipatch going down the Ten Storey Slide there. (aside, that hurts your ass A LOT would not recommend)

I could see some bullshit algorithm pulling some shit on me for those videos. I mean does a tourist video showing a giant playground and slide appeal to kids? probably? But I definitely didn't make it for that purpose? idk. It's just so weird to me that it's so open ended that it could basically apply to anything, even people who posted silly tourist videos in 2010
I've been trying to figure out exactly how YouTube's spider works... and all I can glean is that YouTube prioritizes middle-popularity videos and content-creators with previous infractions. There's no real telling if YouTube is gonna bother visiting every single video, or if they're just gonna pick on the same targets again.

Quote:
no one cares
Quote:
Old 11-22-2019, 11:47 PM   #33
awein999
(ಠ⌣ಠ)
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to awein999

a more thoughtful post:

here's the 42k in context quoted from part of their statement:
'The Rule allows for civil penalties of up to $42,530 per violation, but the FTC considers a number of factors in determining the appropriate amount, including a company’s financial condition and the impact a penalty could have on its ability to stay in business.'

personally i have a video that has 3.2m views from 4 years ago with ads on it that is gameplay of a cartoonish game that has ~1,300 dollars of ad revenue accumulated with no other videos coming close. if they really wanted to go after me they could, but they wouldn't fine me 42k. they'd fine me a portion of 1,300 worst case scenario. but it wouldn't be worth their trouble. there are so many other people who make more who is more worth their time.

point being they aren't just going to go crazy on small time people who don't make a living from it. there will likely be people made examples of who are rich from youtube but would survive outrageous fines like logan paul or pewdiepie (logan paul is way worse than pewdiepie but pewds is the face of yt of grey area) etc. who will approach the 42k per video as stated above. those are extreme outlier cases and waving that number around without context is fear mongering.

if i made significantly more from youtube or was a regular content creator i would be very very worried. luckily for me this was never my livelihood. in fact i've never even claimed any of the money lol. personally moving forward i see no need to delete my yt channel but i won't monetize any new content i make because the sheer gray area leaves so much open to interpretation it's not worth the stress of seeing if pennies can be made from it on the side while it's done as a hobby.

Last edited by awein999; 11-22-2019 at 11:59 PM..
awein999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 02:38 PM   #34
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

That's good to keep in mind, but like I said my worry isn't so much me getting a fined
But most of the concerns are all just speculation until something happens

Old 11-23-2019, 04:18 PM   #35
DarkBlackShadowDragonEnix
┌∩┐(▲_▲)┌∩┐
FFR Veteran

I'm still going to keep it
Old 11-25-2019, 09:02 AM   #36
katanaeyegaming
#FearTheWyvern
FFR Veteran

I already did less than 24 hours ago
katanaeyegaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 09:26 AM   #37
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:

i don't think you understand how much content is uploaded to youtube every second
choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-2-2019, 09:35 PM   #38
bigdog553
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellonxcollie View Post
one of my videos which was a tour of a place includes a shot of me entering a plane and you can see my ~butt in shorts~ I'm prolly gonna get banned oh well
link?
bigdog553 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-3-2019, 05:51 PM   #39
DaBackpack
~ お ま ん こ ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog553 View Post
link?
lol

Quote:
no one cares
Quote:
Old 12-3-2019, 10:08 PM   #40
Shadow_God_10
Somewhere, but not here
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Shadow_God_10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog553 View Post
link?
Really dude?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svaz View Post
more like Shad-hoe God am I right haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellon_collie View Post
TIL women have breasts because of horniness
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugkid666 View Post
sunfan I fucked up
Quote:
Xel claiming that I am incapable of making mistakes and using that logic to paint me as scum does things to my body that I thought only Lewdy's stash could do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 View Post
your hentai collection is commendable. i am both in awe and afraid of you
Shadow_God_10 is offline   Reply With Quote