Old 12-26-2016, 04:44 AM   #1
evanescence_death4ever
where'sTHEdrain?!
FFR Veteran

Default tl;dr? health/weight loss help?

Hi there o/

The internet is full of ideas and info about health and weight loss, about the intertwined aspects of mind and body yadda yadda~ It is currently past 4am, I can't sleep, and I've been lying here hoping [as I seemingly constantly, yet inactively, am] to make some changes. Whether or not I've posted on this subforum, FFR is like a home to me, and before venturing off again somewhere else on the Internet [like I have countless times in the past], I'd like to poke your brains.

I have it in my head that I want to lose weight. here's a bit of background: I went from graduating high school, weighing 110 lbs, which in my mind [at the time] was "too much" -- to four+ years later, a 22 year old weighing around 155/160. Considering my height (I am 5'2"), I am classified quite overweight and even sometimes borderline "obese" at this point.

I was always an active kid, did gymnastics for about 7 years (till I was almost 15), I was that weird girl who did a lot of pushups during that time. I can't say I was a hardcore gymnast, we only practiced 14ish hours a week, but I learned a lot in those years-so I'm not foreign to conditioning [using body weight as the main source of resistance]. Gymnastics isn't the point, just wanted to throw out there that exercise isn't completely foreign to me.

I've read quite a bit about healthier eating, etc. The fundamental need of a caloric deficit if wanting to lose weight. I can't say I know it all..but it's almost as though I'm reading this info, yet cannot reapply it to myself. I fall into unhealthy habits where I just tell myself not to eat, but of course I end up getting hungry, and eat anyway. My will power is weak, it's essentially non existent. Sometimes I want to express my state of being as "running on empty," but when you're void of proper function altogether, it's more like just "empty."

Holding this extra weight is uncomfortable. Physically uncomfortable. And not to mention none of my goddamn clothes fit. I need help fixing it, but also need to take into consideration my health, losing weight in a healthy manner, exercise/nutrition all that jazz.

I think the biggest problem is that I am essentially not functioning. Long story short depression is rampant and ruling my life, has been [with varying intensities for the past 10 years]. In mid-August I went cold turkey simultaneously off three antidepressants/antianxiety meds, having been on numerous concoctions for the past 7 years. Needless to say, that was hell, but again, not the point. Does anyone have experience with food intake / activity benefitting a situation like this? I need a lifestyle change.

I'm typing on my phone, and I've essentially written a chunk of incoherent garbage.

Thanks for reading, and hopefully I can get some prompted responses/feedback and can perhaps go into more detail.

"Life is always downhill, everyone is heading towards death every day. It's up to you to look for the hills you can climb up instead
Or something
I just made that up but it sounds good" ~alloyus~
evanescence_death4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 11:58 PM   #2
justaguy
Forum User
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to justaguy
Default Re: tl;dr? health/weight loss help?

i can speak to being medicated for depression and anxiety several times (and a lot of drug and alcohol abuse). when you have zero momentum the most difficult thing is to make even one small change, so i get where you're at. you will have to force yourself to do a few things that are uncomfortable before it's ultimately rewarding. exercise helps my mood substantially, i'm pretty addicted to it at this point though it definitely took a little time. an important factor in hunger and eating is how often you're on your feet, truthfully if you're walking around more and are generally more active you'll find yourself less hungry and with a little less time to eat (because ya moving around duh). when i'm left to my devices and i'm behind my desk without moving all day (many a day) i'll eat more and i'll eat out of boredom. that being said, after i exercise i'll feel like the food i eat is well earned and i don't feel stressed about it negatively impacting my body (provided it's not a dumptruck of golden arches)

try to gradually implement changes, too many changes at once can be stressful as i'm sure you're aware. i'd have plenty of weeks where i'd be good for a few days in a row and then completely ruin myself for several days and feel like i lost all my progress. try to remember it's an iterative process and what's important is continuing to make the effort.

U Can Do It
Old 02-20-2017, 09:36 PM   #3
Mahou
魔法少女
FFR Veteran

Do you have a discord
AND watch anime.
Mahou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 06:43 AM   #4
evanescence_death4ever
where'sTHEdrain?!
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaguy View Post
i can speak to being medicated for depression and anxiety several times (and a lot of drug and alcohol abuse). when you have zero momentum the most difficult thing is to make even one small change, so i get where you're at. you will have to force yourself to do a few things that are uncomfortable before it's ultimately rewarding. exercise helps my mood substantially, i'm pretty addicted to it at this point though it definitely took a little time. an important factor in hunger and eating is how often you're on your feet, truthfully if you're walking around more and are generally more active you'll find yourself less hungry and with a little less time to eat (because ya moving around duh). when i'm left to my devices and i'm behind my desk without moving all day (many a day) i'll eat more and i'll eat out of boredom. that being said, after i exercise i'll feel like the food i eat is well earned and i don't feel stressed about it negatively impacting my body (provided it's not a dumptruck of golden arches)

try to gradually implement changes, too many changes at once can be stressful as i'm sure you're aware. i'd have plenty of weeks where i'd be good for a few days in a row and then completely ruin myself for several days and feel like i lost all my progress. try to remember it's an iterative process and what's important is continuing to make the effort.

U Can Do It
Hey--thanks for the response! I've actually been taking quite a few small steps as of late trying to work out my situation! I've actually seen quite a change in myself this past month or 6 weeks or so. (Not necessarily in terms of weight, although since the beginning of the new year I've lost about 10 pounds?) But...this past month has been on a sort of upward trend. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond to me ^.^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahou View Post
Do you have a discord
Hey, Mahou! I do! I don't use it so much anymore, but it still exists and I can log in to the actual program if that's a good place to hit you up! I've been using the web browser version, additionally, I left all of my servers, so...Yeah! Anyway, let me know if you send me a message on there so I can make sure I get it!, I'm eva#8427 ^.~

"Life is always downhill, everyone is heading towards death every day. It's up to you to look for the hills you can climb up instead
Or something
I just made that up but it sounds good" ~alloyus~
evanescence_death4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 06:58 AM   #5
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

keeping track of calories is a skill

you won't know the optimal way to study for a test right away

similarly, you cannot expect to just be able to track every calorie immediately, it is something you get better at doing over time

if you're having difficulty losing weight, there is probably one or more things wrong with how you're tracking calories in particular

the silver bullet approach is meal prep. aka, make all of your meals in advance with fixed calorie numbers and do not eat anything BUT that.
Arch0wl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 07:49 AM   #6
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

Yeah, Arch's tip is one of the best there is. You don't need to count calories if you prepare meals by volume in containers or cups or however you want to do it. I would just set up a reasonable amount of food across your regular number of meals that is similar to whatever you're already eating, but slightly smaller in portion size so that you're a bit hungry in the evenings.

If you're losing weight too quickly add to your portions, if you're losing weight too slowly or not losing weight cut back.

Keeps everything simple and avoids meticulous counting and is, IMO, more effective since most people track calories incorrectly anyway / their TDEE is wrong.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:21 AM   #7
JanellIsabel
Banned

There are many ways to lose a lot of weight fast.

Last edited by JanellIsabel; 10-23-2017 at 11:41 PM..
JanellIsabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:29 AM   #8
dadcop2
FFR Player

water fast
dadcop2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:02 PM   #9
Mahou
魔法少女
FFR Veteran

For the love of fuck can you stop bumping old threads lol
AND watch anime.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:25 PM   #10
Mahou
魔法少女
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaSM View Post
The old threads shall never die.
No need for them to die.

But the guy who's bumping old health threads could stop - especially when op won't be unbanned until next year.
AND watch anime.

Last edited by Mahou; 10-12-2017 at 04:26 PM..
Old 10-12-2017, 05:59 PM   #11
businessman07
Banned

I can help you.

Your case is a very simple one, inactivity and over eating for whatever reasons.

at 5'2 and female your basil metabolic rate should be some where around 1200-1600 calories a day. Not the standard 2000 that everyone is condition'd to hearing. Furthermore inactivity would lower this to around 900-1000 since the standard 2000 calories includes 30 mins of activity a day.

The most important factor of losing weight is your diet.
You need to be on a high Protein medium fats and low carb diet consisting of:
approx 70% Protein 20% fats 10% carbs. No junk food. The food you want to intake should be as clean and as elemental as possible.

Eggs are your go to for protein, next beef then chicken, then fish. You don't want to eat any other protein sources to get the most bang for your buck. You can also supplement.

My main fat source is from Avocados, seeds and nuts. You can also get it from fish.

Carbs: I stay away from them like the devil, Actually I don't even eat carbs and elect my body burn ketones in its place. But you want to get the bulk of your carbs from veggies like broccoli, green beans, and salads (Italian not ranch) not really starchy carbs like corn. I couldn't tell you which ones to eat beacuse I don't eat them unless im carb loading for a heavy day. and if I do I only eat Yams or sweet potato's and take a veg supplement to aid in digestion. If you must cheat and eat a bag of chips make them kettle cooked lean or baked with under 160 calories in the bag, my favorite cheat is funyuns. Note the more you eat carbs the more your body will crave them, the best way is cold turkey in my opinion. ABSOLUTELY NO BREAD.

Also do not consume sugar or anything sweet, this causes insulin spikes which will take you out of ketosis which means a day of fasting wasted.

You need to count your caloric intake for a month until you get the jest of how much you are consuming and what a proper portion for your size looks like. you can easily look up the caloric intake for anything you eat.

I suggest, eating once a day. It takes about a week for your body to adjust to it if you're use to eating all the time. This allows the body to go into ketosis (tapping into fat stores).
Me personally I eat once a day in the evening after my workout. That way I only have to count my calories once, and it is just about impossible for me over eat that way even if im starving.

being a gymnast you know how to workout and tax your body. I'll just say you need at least an hour of intense workout 6 days a week. You can walk at 65% of your max for an hour and thats just fine, Weight training is great for overall health but not great for fat loss. If you want to melt the fat you have to do high intensity interval training cardio I.e. sprinting. biking, or something that gets your heart rate really high then allow it to stabilize then you do it again. You can incorporate yoga and gymnastics, you can switch it up as much as you want if you get bored the idea is to stay active no matter what.

The fastest way is to sprint 3-4 times a week work up to 10-15 wind sprints for 50 yards.
It takes about an hour at 1st when you're out of shape, but your rest time will come down from minutes to seconds as you get in better shape. Remember to always push yourself. If you want me to make you some meal plans let me know.

I can make 3 meals a day or my preference 1 meal a day. The thing about eating 3 meals a day in caloric deficit is you will never feel full which means you will always be hungry, which is why I only eat once a day. Go to bed on a full stomach and literally fast for 20hours. Your energy will actually increase as a result of your body burning fat, this will also increase your mood.

My ex GF was 5'3 150 so I know what your build is your body will respond to results rather quickly at 1st.

You want to aim for a fat loss goal of 1.5-2 lbs a week but you will probably be somewhere around 1lb avg. So you want to pick a day and weight in that day every week. put it in your food log so when you are counting your calories you are reminded of your goal, and you can also mark your progress according to what you have eaten, worst comes to worse you can result to eating what you ate one week you saw really good progress over and over, because this is what your body likes.

The key is consistency in Caloric deficit and workout effort.

This is a typical meal for me keep in mind I am lean bulking so I am concentrating on protein intake.

6-7 egg omelet no butter or milk added. I will season with chilipowder and salt n pepper.
560 calories

Roasted Sunflower seed kernals 2 tea spoons
300 calories

A chobani yogurt
120 calories

A nutri grain bar
120 calories

As you can see im at 1040 calories already.

2 servings of protein shake for another 50grams of protien and 250 calories.
a serving of veg supplement for 100 calories

and add what ever I drink that day if its not water. I usually drink water only but I like to have a beer every once in a while.

So you can see my caloric intake is around 1600 on any given day. and I am 175lbs ex football player. I can actually lose fat and increase strength and endurance on this diet plan. and I am confident you will too.

I typically lose 1lb a week, and thats because I don't want to burn out or feel low on energy.

Also fasting will definitely help with your depression, it sounds counter intuitive until you learn the brain runs on fats.. and if you eat sugar and carbs your brain elects to run on that instead of body fat which will make you crash. You want to go into ketosis on a high protein diet.

Ive seen people go into ketosis on a high fat diet but they usually don't have much body fat.

Also I suggest getting on you tube and finding a health enthusiast you aspire to be like. There are so many men and women given out great info there.

Bodybuilding.com is a good start
Jeff Cavilere form athlean-x gives great tips for weight training and general health.
I suggest you find a women that competes in physique class and intake everything they say, and pick up tricks on how to get ultra lean.

My final tip, If you skip a workout, half your caloric intake. Oh and Jello Lots and Lots of Jello to get you past your cravings. 10 calories sugar free. eat 2 per day max.

Lets end this old threat right... right!?

Last edited by businessman07; 10-12-2017 at 06:04 PM..
businessman07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:05 PM   #12
Mahou
魔法少女
FFR Veteran

Good tips but I have a few things to point out with this type of eating.

This diet does help you lose weight at a good rate but the problem is that low carb diets are not sustainable forever and usually fail - unless you’re replacing a sufficient amount of fats to replace carbs, you will eventually start feeling worn out/weak from your workouts.

Of course your body is going to crave carbs - it’s your main energy source. You can still lose weight eating a sufficient amount of carbs and eating in a caloric deficit. So, with that being said, don’t be afraid to eat carbs but don’t go crazy. If anything, lower your carb intake in increments as each week goes by. I.e 50g less than what you had the week before. This way, your body won’t feel like complete poop.
AND watch anime.

Last edited by Mahou; 10-12-2017 at 09:06 PM..