Old 02-16-2011, 08:56 AM   #1
Duplica
FFR Player

Default Image of Fate

Not sure what genre to classify this under, but this is a little piece I've been working on for a bit. I have very little musical experience so feedback would be appreciated

http://www.4shared.com/audio/gxyLtpr...e_of_Fate.html

http://soundcloud.com/duplica/image-of-fate

Last edited by Duplica; 02-17-2011 at 01:02 AM..
Duplica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:18 AM   #2
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973
Default Re: Image of Fate

if you could upload that newgrounds or soundcloud or sendspace that'd be great. ive never had any good experiences with 4shared and would like to not use that site ever
Old 02-17-2011, 01:02 AM   #3
Duplica
FFR Player

Oh sorry

http://soundcloud.com/duplica/image-of-fate
Old 02-17-2011, 07:13 AM   #4
LogicalDefiance
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to LogicalDefiance
Smile Re: Image of Fate

I'm not trying to frown on ostinato guitar phrases, but I feel it may have been a bit too much for this piece. At least for being both the intro and outro to the song. The reason is because it doesn't give us any kind of interesting melodic or rhythmic phrasing to get us into the piece, and it doesn't end us in any kind of cadence either, as a result the piece will probably fatigue quickly since it feels more like it's just fading in, then fading out. Perhaps work on writing a variation on that phrase, then get to a dropping point where you drop in the ostinato and kick it off from there. That would definitely make the piece more iconic.

The second important thing I noticed is your mixing. You have every instrument at about the same apparent volume. To get a more interesting mix you may consider having some more dynamics in those sounds, and that may require some good EQing with some of those midrange sounds like the leads and the guitar. The bass should be easy to fix--currently its getting drowned by the other instruments, but since the only main competing frequency user is the bassdrum, then perhaps just give a subtle soft knee high pass filter on the other sounds, not one that effects timbre, but just gives us a little more lower end definition.

That said, I felt the most important two aspects that were lacking were the dynamics and the melodic structure. I'm in no place to critique the harmony, but a longer progression wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Anyways, I still enjoyed the piece...Hans Zimmer uses the crap out of ostinato guitar licks like that, and who doesn't like Hans Zimmer? =P

CUSTOM MUSIC COMPOSITION & SOUND DESIGN

LogicalDefiance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:59 AM   #5
Duplica
FFR Player

there's no guitar in this though ._. I thought it was a harpsichord or something.

I agree with the mixing though, I need to pick up on some tutorials :3 thanks for the feedback
Old 02-17-2011, 04:13 PM   #6
LogicalDefiance
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to LogicalDefiance

Well the timbrel quality of the ostinato pattern is poor, I only assumed you were using some kind of free guitar VST because a lot of them sound like that

CUSTOM MUSIC COMPOSITION & SOUND DESIGN

LogicalDefiance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:41 PM   #7
Duplica
FFR Player

FM7 vst actually