Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Films and Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2009, 12:13 AM   #41
revolutionomega
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to revolutionomega Send a message via MSN to revolutionomega
Default Re: Is anyone going to go see the movie Avatar?

Agreed with all the intelligent people in the thread.
Movie was incredible.

I can see how 300 million dollars was put into this the visual images were so incredibly stunning.

Saw this in I-max 3D on a 3 story high screen o.o Just blew me away. I won't say too much about the story (which actually there is a lot too and the trailers certainly don't do it justice), but in terms of visuals and stimulation they don't disappoint. Every aspect of the movie (from the child-like first exploration of the planet), to the interactions of the people, and to the way things operated in the military and in the tribe were incredible.

It was interesting seeing concepts of Native American, African, Mayan and other tribal cultures thrown into the movie, as well as political views of the corruption of BIG BUSINESS and the military. People may think the militant characters are misconstrued, however it is their jobs to follow orders and they are blinded by duty at times (other times are shown by select few members of the organization).

On a last note, portions of the plot are a bit predictable, but it still fulfills the story without creating too much wishy-wash garbage in the middle. Tales of fantasy, redemption and the value of life have also captured me, and I'm glad the movie did not end in the likes of Cameron's other hits (Titanic/Terminator) - other movie-lovers probably know what I'm talking about.

10/10 - Would definitely see again.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:16 AM   #42
cixOclock
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolutionomega View Post
Agreed with all the intelligent people in the thread.
Movie was incredible.

I can see how 300 million dollars was put into this the visual images were so incredibly stunning.

Saw this in I-max 3D on a 3 story high screen o.o Just blew me away. I won't say too much about the story (which actually there is a lot too and the trailers certainly don't do it justice), but in terms of visuals and stimulation they don't disappoint. Every aspect of the movie (from the child-like first exploration of the planet), to the interactions of the people, and to the way things operated in the military and in the tribe were incredible.

It was interesting seeing concepts of Native American, African, Mayan and other tribal cultures thrown into the movie, as well as political views of the corruption of BIG BUSINESS and the military. People may think the militant characters are misconstrued, however it is their jobs to follow orders and they are blinded by duty at times (other times are shown by select few members of the organization).

On a last note, portions of the plot are a bit predictable, but it still fulfills the story without creating too much wishy-wash garbage in the middle. Tales of fantasy, redemption and the value of life have also captured me, and I'm glad the movie did not end in the likes of Cameron's other hits (Titanic/Terminator) - other movie-lovers probably know what I'm talking about.

10/10 - Would definitely see again.

Lol are you a reviewer? Hmm, the trailers looked terrible, but I guess it is good from what I read and hear. I'll check it out if I get paid...ever...?
cixOclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:25 AM   #43
revolutionomega
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to revolutionomega Send a message via MSN to revolutionomega

No I'm not, but I take seriously how I word my personal reviews of movies I especially enjoyed. Also I really think your enjoyment of the movie will depend on your enjoyment of certain genres.

I would place this into a sci-fi/fantasy mix with some action/adventure + mild romance thrown in.

Plus after seeing twilight and making fun of it out loud the entire time I was quite pleased to see CGI that didn't blow, stunning non gray-scale bullcrap scenery, and original creatures (some of which I may add were amazing).

Favorite of all the creatures was definitely Toruk Maktoh (sp?). Just EPIC.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:27 AM   #44
cixOclock
FFR Player

o.o Awesome.
But by the time I get paid it'll be out of theaters. (empty placed lol here)
Ahwell. Thanks for the input.
cixOclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:45 AM   #45
goffballz
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolutionomega View Post
Plus after seeing twilight and making fun of it out loud the entire time
I love you.
goffballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 02:07 AM   #46
MrRubix
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Just saw it.

In general, I thought it was a very beautiful movie. The visuals, the scenery, the colors, and the textures were all amazing. There was a ton of detail and it was eye-candy the whole way through.

However, I must say that's the only thing I really liked.

1. The Earthlings come across as totally retarded. They're so goddamned trigger-happy, and it really bothered me at how unwilling they were to leverage more diplomatic solutions. All it took was one video log and they called it quits. Then they escalate from gas to missiles in under a minute. Eesh.

2. Wanted to learn more about the planet's neural network and the unobtanium. Both were interesting facets of the planet that I felt were totally underexplored.

3. Most of the characters were flat to me. Jake especially felt almost as lively as a wooden plank.

4. There was a lack of climactic moments for me. Nothing made me feel the need to fistpump, so to speak.

5. The pacing was all off. Like 12 things get pushed in your face right off the bat in one huge bukakkedump, then you learn about the guts of the mission in a 20-second cutscene, and then you've got a huge lull where Jake basically learns the ways of the indigenous people. I felt like an hour could have been cut out of the movie with minimal damage. It was like getting blown by a quadriplegic. What this movie needed was a bit more neck thrust so we could get the job done and move on.

6. I could hear chord structures and instruments that were used in Titanic. LOL. "Where have I heard this before... wait, WHAT?! Oh, that makes sense, I guess..." Tass officially thinks I am gay for noticing this.

7. I felt there was no real personal touch. I didn't care about many of the characters -- the only touching scene came near the end ("I see you").

8. Everything was too predictable. This is one of the reasons why I wanted everything to be a bit shorter. We all knew how things were going to play out from the very start. It was even worse because the characters in the story were apparently oblivious to the obvious and figured it out last-minute. Everyone basically fell victim to Admiral Ackbar Syndrome.

9. The chick was hot, though. Would tap. I wonder if Jake came when his avatar did.

10. tldr this movie is like an alien, 3D version of Ferngully.

Last edited by MrRubix; 12-21-2009 at 02:09 AM..
MrRubix is offline   Reply With Quote