Old 12-2-2017, 12:44 PM   #121
Mahou
魔法少女
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Do you have a religion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celirra View Post
. I think both are pretty bad, and reflect poorly on all parties involved.
Based off post history of these parties, are you really surprised that they reacted the way that they do? Not going to call any names, but yeah...I hope you understand where I'm coming from.
AND watch anime.
Old 12-2-2017, 12:52 PM   #122
Celirra
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to Celirra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahou View Post
Based off post history of these parties, are you really surprised that they reacted the way that they do? Not going to call any names, but yeah...I hope you understand where I'm coming from.
I'm a poor person to ask this kind of question of, because I'm naturally overly judgmental and am very poor at the "forgive and forget" mentality; I have plenty of my own biases about people and positions, and I'm not terribly thrilled about how my bias seems to be proving true.

I don't think it's necessarily a good mentality to have though, and it's something I wish I could change. That said, it is this kind of thing that made me withdraw from the relevant communities, and on a more topical note that makes me typically uncomfortable discussing my own religious (and on an extended note, political/ideological) stances and beliefs.

I do understand where you're coming from; not naming any names either too, but there's a few notable people here who are actually doing what I'd consider well with the topic at hand. It's not all bad in this thread, which is swell.
 ノ li.゚ ヮ゚ノi
彡と} 猫.{つ
Old 12-2-2017, 01:08 PM   #123
Hakulyte
the Haku
Retired StaffD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I thought the point of the thread was to compare views and potentially ask questions if we don't understand something.
Old 12-2-2017, 01:21 PM   #124
Celirra
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to Celirra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakulyte View Post
I thought the point of the thread was to compare views and potentially ask questions if we don't understand something.
I'm pretty sure that was the point, but I feel like a lot (again, not all) of the discussion here deviated from that position.
 ノ li.゚ ヮ゚ノi
彡と} 猫.{つ
Old 12-2-2017, 01:28 PM   #125
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Is there something wrong with believing in something that's potentially not true if it doesn't have negative consequences ?
No.

Quote:
Does truth necessary brings more to the table despite being more preferable than a lie (or an hypothesis) ?
Absolutely. Truthful statements are those that describe reality, the very same that we all live in. If someone wants their beliefs to closely align with reality, believing as many true things and as few false things as possible is what they should strive for. So while believing a false or even unproven/unverifiable thing may indeed have no negative consequence and even provide solace for this person, it may not be an accurate representation of the reality we all live in. I, personally, couldn't believe in a higher power because I wouldn't be able to justify the belief with facts. I was raised Catholic and went to a private Catholic grade school (1-8), was baptized, received eucharist and reconciliation, and was even confirmed. As I grew older and more scientific minded, I simply could not find a way to make the beliefs I had in my youth align with reality.

Quote:
If blue is my favorite color and green is proven to be the best favorite color; am I wrong to prefer blue ?
Actually, blue is the most common favorite color among men, so you are 100% correct. Jokes aside, this is completely subjective and is more or less meaningless. Blue and green have both been shown to exist, so you preferring green over blue wouldn't be the same as someone who would prefer faith healing over chemotherapy.

Quote:
My point is that religion is like a driving force in life. I don't find knowing the truth that important at the end of the day. That's great if someone finds it, but until this happens, I'm more than satisfied living with my hypothetical world.
It's fine if you choose to keep religion in your life if it helps you through your day, but I implore you to ask yourself the final question asked in the video I linked: "Do you want to believe things that are true and get rid of beliefs that are not true?"

Quote:
Also, I liked that video because what she said pretty much align with what I think.
You might be interested in watching more street epistemology videos. There are a wide range of people that can be die-hard religion fanatics or people that can flip-flop during the inteview because their confidence isn't very high to begin with. There are even talks about karma, ghosts, the afterlife, etc...
Here are two of my favorite SE YouTube channels:
Anthony Magnabosco
Cordial Curiosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis_Flesher View Post
I believe I would rather face a radical jihadist than any more of these flaccid atheists and agnostics.
Also, one of English's primary words begins with the syllable 'hell'
No you wouldn't, and technically it's "hel", so checkmate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celirra View Post
I was raised growing up that there's three things that probably shouldn't be discussed in a social situation: religion, politics, and finances. Sure, you could argue that a forum board dedicated to social interaction isn't necessarily social in the same way as say, a dinner with friends would be, but I think the intended atmosphere of this thread was more the way of a group hangout, rather than a heated debate.
While this may not have been the intended direction of the thread, an Internet forum is actually the perfect place for this type of debate. People have the time they need to formulate a cogent argument and present it all at once without being talked over as would happen in a verbal debate. The flame war is usually an unintended side-effect.

Last edited by rushyrulz; 12-2-2017 at 01:34 PM..
Old 12-2-2017, 02:11 PM   #126
Funnygurl555
T-Force's Rival
FFR Veteran

'morning

EDIT: I had a lot written here (well not really tbh), but I'm going to stop talking about the stuff with Mina. Think what you want of me, guys, but I promise I'm not as shitty as this thread made me out to be. To those who aren't MinaciousGrace or lofty rhino who still said some things to me, talk to me through PMs or something. Let's talk in a better context, lol.

To Mina and lofty, fuck you guys lol pce

Maybe once I get some food in me, I'll look at the actual chill comments in this thread

Also, thanks sunfan and danceguy for posting here (and cooling me down last night). Y'all are cool peeps
Can you like not use those stupid names right now? Took me long enough to get these screen names straight in my head
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sun fan View Post
GET DUNKED FUNNY
(eaman is her name irl, friend)

Last edited by Funnygurl555; 12-2-2017 at 02:47 PM..
Old 12-2-2017, 02:47 PM   #127
Walrusizer
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Walrusizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 View Post
you realize that i was... that i was... joking.. did u notice.. when i started typing like i do now. oowee
Yes I do realize that you were joking in this instance, however I do not believe that you were joking the other 87 times you mentioned ivy league schools in an attempt to prove that you/your friends are the most intelligent people of all time.

Quote:
no i'm not going to provide evidence for a standard grammar rule lmaoo nah dude maybe there's exceptions for stylistic reasons
So Lofty can provide evidence showing that you're completely fucking wrong yet you won't provide any to counter him. That's a pretty good way of saying "yo dawg, you won".

Quote:
also it's like... it really doesn't matter i pointed it out in the first place so i could make a petty comment like mina does.
It does when you're just wrong about it though and refuse to accept that you were wrong despite not making any attempt to counter Lofty's points.
Old 12-2-2017, 02:52 PM   #128
Funnygurl555
T-Force's Rival
FFR Veteran

oops sorry man guess you read what i wrote before i deleted it

truce though. i'll concede. this thread isn't worth making enemies

EDIT: OH FOR THE LOVE OF... I MENTIONED IT ONCE AND THEN LOFTY TRIED TO PUT DOWN THOSE WHO GO TO IVIES AND THAT'S HOW IT STARTED

EVERYONE IN EVERY FUCKING POST MENTIONS THAT I GO TO AN IVY. HOW THE HECK DO I NOT BRING IT UP

edit2: someone changed my thing under my name to mention that i go to an ivy. so someone... with some sort of moderator powers... did that...

oh my. fuck this
Can you like not use those stupid names right now? Took me long enough to get these screen names straight in my head
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sun fan View Post
GET DUNKED FUNNY
(eaman is her name irl, friend)

Last edited by Funnygurl555; 12-2-2017 at 02:55 PM..
Old 12-2-2017, 03:03 PM   #129
Tarrik
D7 Elite Keymasher

Send a message via AIM to Tarrik Send a message via Skype™ to Tarrik

This thread is honestly stupid and should have been locked or something ages ago.
People are bashing each other in here and that's not cool.

Last edited by Tarrik; 12-2-2017 at 03:06 PM..
Old 12-2-2017, 03:08 PM   #130
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
edit2: someone changed my thing under my name to mention that i go to an ivy. so someone... with some sort of moderator powers... did that...

oh my. fuck this
what? that's pretty not okay..

Old 12-2-2017, 03:38 PM   #131
ormix
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis_Flesher View Post
Also, one of English's primary words begins with the syllable 'hell'
o

Quote:

oh my. fuck this
liberal liberal revolution

Last edited by ormix; 12-2-2017 at 03:40 PM..
Old 12-2-2017, 03:54 PM   #132
MikeShinoda12345
*\(^o^)/*

Quote:
someone changed my thing under my name to mention that i go to an ivy. so someone... with some sort of moderator powers... did that...

oh my. fuck this
This is profoundly uncool
Old 12-2-2017, 04:50 PM   #133
ormix
Banned

maybe that mod will fess up due to a guilty conscience or proceed to keep laughing
Old 12-2-2017, 05:13 PM   #134
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager
Game Manager, Song Release Coordinator
Game ManagerSimfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Locking this thread as it has digressed from the original post for a while.

Quote:
someone changed my thing under my name to mention that i go to an ivy. so someone... with some sort of moderator powers... did that...
After some discussion with staff it looks like the user title was changed 12:15 am server time today. The person who did that will receive a talk.
Closed Thread