Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat > Ask Me Anything
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Ask Me Anything A forum where notable users offer to answer questions from the userbase.

Old 03-3-2013, 10:22 PM   #21
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default Re: Arch0wl AMA

How did you get expelled in fifth grade?

And that all sounds like it must have been really difficult, Arch -- I'm sorry to hear all that. I don't think anyone really "deserves" that even if out of some sense of moral payback -- trauma has some very serious long-term consequences.
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-3-2013, 11:09 PM   #22
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
How did you get expelled in fifth grade?
I was isolated socially from 3rd grade to 5th grade. When I was in 1st grade, this girl I was friends with (her name was Samantha, iirc) skipped a grade, and I honestly should have too -- the coursework was ludicrously easy, and both of us thought so. When I was in 3rd grade my teacher actually suggested I skip a grade or two, but the school gave my mom a huge guilt-trip when she tried and gave her a lot of doomsday hypotheticals. So they didn't, and I was typed as "the smart one" by teachers and other students, which led me to think that I was different on some fundamental level.

I spent pretty much all of my free time playing video games. I would have read, but I didn't know that advanced books existed. The only books we were able to read were encyclopedias and books calibrated to what our reading level was supposed to be. This was a school that was in a bad neighborhood, so it was relentlessly one-size-fits-all.

By the time I had gotten to 5th grade I was very overweight (here's a picture: http://i.imgur.com/RDNIHOv.jpg) and I had just moved into a new neighborhood. There was this kid who lived several houses across from me -- we'll call him X for the purposes of anonymity.

I don't know if he just had a really bad upbringing or if he's actually that way, but X was psychopathic. He lied and stole chronically. Before we met him, a kid in our neighborhood pointed to him and said "that kid's the devil." And on the first day I met him, he asked if I could see a Pokemon card. I showed it to him, and he grabbed it from my hands and ran off with it. I was raised primarily by my mom so where most kids would get violent over things like this, that course of action really didn't enter my head. I thought violence was unethical at that age, in part because I was raised to believe that.

I think X hated me because his father was absent from his life and my dad is 6'3" and ex-military. X was a bully, but I was roughly around the same size as him and probably taller than him by an inch or two, so he couldn't do anything physically. He'd do things like suck up to the teacher and then get a bunch of his friends to say that I did something or other. Or, he'd spread rumors about me. He made fun of my weight constantly, multiple times on a daily basis. One day in particular I remember -- we had a substitute teacher, so X got everyone in the class to throw shit at me, saying "hey everyone, hit the retard." I looked at the substitute like "what the hell are you doing?" but she just laughed it off in a way that if someone else was there, she'd point and say "haha, those kids being kids! No roughhousing now, children!"

It's important to note how X was able to win the favor of teachers. He was dumb, but he pretended to be even dumber than he was to teachers, so that when he did well on a test or whatever, the teacher would think "I'm a great teacher! Look at how good this kid is doing!"

He had stolen stuff from my house several times already and tried to pawn it off at a garage sale, so my mom hated him. In response, he accused my mother of molesting him. (edit: apparently this is not correct. see below.)

Toward the end of the year I started getting suicidal and X took that as an opportunity to spread more rumors about me. There was a Vietnamese kid a few years older than us who was the neighborhood boogeyman at the time; X's clique would fabricate ridiculous stories about him. One time during lunch they said he intended to break into my house with a gun of some kind, so in retaliation I said "if he does, my dad has a rifle."

Two of the girls at the lunch table misheard this as "I have a rifle and will shoot you" and reported it to the principal the next day, but I have reason to believe that they were egged on by X, because that very same day he was in the office writing some kind of statement. This was right after Columbine, so the school believed the two girls on their word for reasons similar to why they believed X. In addition, I fit the profile: white, smart, isolated, plays video games a lot.

The school expelled me due to an alleged "terroristic threat" and allowed me to come back only under the condition that I sign a form saying I had made said threat, and do three days of alternative school following the signing of that form. My parents refused to let me do this, so the school sued them on truancy charges. We eventually settled out of court, because the school's case was ridiculous and their testimonies didn't match up at all. (edit: apparently, this is wrong. see below. the school did mention truancy, but we were sued by the parents of the two girls, not the school.)

The consequence though is that I was homeschooled by my mother for three years and partially homeschooled for another two. My mother knows how to read and write well, but she doesn't know math beyond basic arithmetic. She's extremely loving and tried her best, but she could only teach as much as she knew.

The effects of that expulsion hit me even now. When I went back into public school, I didn't have adequate math knowledge for my grade level so I went to a ridiculously ghetto transition school for a period of time. When I say "ridiculously ghetto," I mean someone there killed a cop and no one was surprised. I had to learn Algebra out of a textbook in a self-paced classroom where 2/3 of my Algebra class was pregnant. The very first time I took the SAT, my score on the math section was 450/800. I self-studied, retook it and got 570/800. But for comparison, I was able to get 770/800 on the writing section without much study. If I had been in public school math from the beginning, I could have maxed out that section and my choices of colleges would have been very different.

Edit: some corrections to this, since I dug up some information:

- I wasn't sued by the school. The school was involved in the suit, but I was sued by the two parents of the girls who accused me. Apparently, we didn't settle out of court either; according to my mom's account, they had to issue an apology.

- X didn't accuse my mother of molesting him; he said she "threatened him" and he was purposefully late to school due to being "scared." She wasn't allowed on school grounds because I was expelled and she didn't have a student attending the school, not because of the accusation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KgZ View Post
Why are you opening up all of the sudden?
I am no longer insecure about the things that have happened to me and feel like I can talk about them with the benefit of hindsight.

Last edited by Arch0wl; 03-4-2013 at 06:08 PM..
Arch0wl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-3-2013, 11:16 PM   #23
robertsona
missa in h-moll
FFR Simfile Author

this is weirdly gripping
robertsona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-3-2013, 11:28 PM   #24
Omegix
free tsutter
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Omegix Send a message via MSN to Omegix

Do you post on reddit? I've seen multiple arch0wl posts and was wondering if it was you. Also, I have irc logs of #a0 from Feb. 2005- Feb 2006 if you want them.
Old 03-3-2013, 11:31 PM   #25
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

I don't want them. I'd probably be embarrassed knowing how I wrote back then.

I do post on reddit, but not under 'Arch0wl'. (edit: This is me, but it's not my main name.) I don't want to reveal my username because I have a group of people who stalk me on reddit and this would make my name googleable. But if you are a regular of /r/SubredditDrama you probably have seen my posts. If you want it, I can PM it to you. Just PM me on here and I'll send you a link.

Last edited by Arch0wl; 03-3-2013 at 11:34 PM..
Old 03-3-2013, 11:35 PM   #26
Omegix
free tsutter
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Omegix Send a message via MSN to Omegix

Na, I don't need it. Funny thing is I can't look at the irc logs either cause after like 1 min of looking over them I see something so dumb that I wrote I just have to close it.
Old 03-3-2013, 11:46 PM   #27
CypherToorima
Boss of all bosses
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to CypherToorima

Wow holy shit. I would have never thought you had such a childhood. God damn that shit's fucked up.
Old 03-3-2013, 11:53 PM   #28
Charu
Snivy! Dohoho!
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Sorry to hear your past was like that.

Hope this "X" fella no longer haunts you. Seems like the ultimate type of bully that knows no bounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRedWolf87 View Post
Charu the red-nosed Snivy
Had a very shiny nose
And if you ever saw it
You could even say it glows

All of the other Snivies
Used to laugh and call him names
They never let poor Charu
Join in any Snivy games

(Click the arrow to see the rest)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta21 View Post
All in all I would say that Charu not only won this game, his play made me reconsider how I play it.
Charu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-3-2013, 11:54 PM   #29
Zon Fire
♎♏
FFR Veteran

favorite simfile?
Old 03-4-2013, 12:00 AM   #30
Netjet!
Sic itur ad astra
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Netjet! Send a message via Skype™ to Netjet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon Fire View Post
favorite simfile?
im sorry but after reading all of the other really serious questions/responses this post made me crack up.
Old 03-4-2013, 12:03 AM   #31
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

favorite simfile is Gaussian Mist Part II
Old 03-4-2013, 12:11 AM   #32
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charu View Post
Sorry to hear your past was like that.

Hope this "X" fella no longer haunts you. Seems like the ultimate type of bully that knows no bounds.
I have no idea what he's doing right now. He might be in jail. Either way, I haven't spoke to him since I was a preteen.

Other than my education, the longest-lasting effect is that it helped to make me a hyper-argumentative person. I wasn't really argumentative or confrontational until I had posted on internet forums for a few years; I considered the internet a "safe" place for me (relative to school, etc.) because it was full of everyone who liked the stuff I liked so when I started being berated by internet assholes that was the last straw and I compensated by being aggressive all the time.
Old 03-4-2013, 12:42 AM   #33
Arkuski
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Arkuski Send a message via Skype™ to Arkuski

I'm waiting for Izzy to come in here and start hatin '

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
i can appreciate a good looking woman when i see one and this one just happened to be my mom
Arkuski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-4-2013, 12:44 AM   #34
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

He has every reason to; I was a huge dick to him and I'd hate on me too.
Old 03-4-2013, 01:01 AM   #35
samurai7694
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Sorry to hear about your childhood. I didn't know much about you until SM/FFR charts such as Revo, and being really good friends with Byron (i love you/Rebound), he mentioned you a few times when I was getting to know him as well as showing me some of your videos on youtube. Is it true that you guys lived close by or met a few times?

Also, I may or may not have brought this up in another thread but I just wanted to say that the very old solo review video with the accent and whatnot was hilarious and entertaining. I might have had it saved to favorites but I'm positive that's deleted now, probably for a good reason, but I miss it still. It's something that's always on the top of my head along with the Quasar video when "Arch0wl" comes to mind, as well as that character with the glasses and umbrella ('scuse me for being ignorant for not remembering the name, it's a long name...). You're a hilarious guy, and as someone who has met a handful of FFR/SM people in person, I'd definitely be awesome to have a chance to meet and talk if it were possible in the future.
Old 03-4-2013, 01:06 AM   #36
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

thanks for that.

as for the video, it's not gone -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxyc8YeDUZc
Old 03-4-2013, 01:55 AM   #37
Snowcrafta
V's beta-male entourage

Send a message via AIM to Snowcrafta

cucumbers - no but they're good on sandwiches and also with sriracha sauce and vinegar

hahahahaha oh my fucking god I almost died laughing at this
Old 03-4-2013, 01:57 AM   #38
Snowcrafta
V's beta-male entourage

Send a message via AIM to Snowcrafta

ps glad to see you're still writing 4 page narratives about everything
Old 03-4-2013, 02:07 AM   #39
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

yeah I stopped fighting it and fed into the dark side of verbosity

I change it up though now and switch between really terse and super verbose, sort of like on DBZ how they're hiding their power levels and you don't know that it's coming
Old 03-4-2013, 02:30 AM   #40
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch0wl View Post
I change it up though now and switch between really terse and super verbose, sort of like on DBZ how they're hiding their power levels and you don't know that it's coming
hahaha, I was just about to point that out. nice analogy.

if you had never discovered rhythm games or their related internet communities, where do you think you would be now?
dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote