Old 10-24-2018, 02:11 PM   #721
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Recommend me some 2018 albums halp

Day 477: Konoyo by Tim Hecker

Why do I continue doing this? Why do I write some bullshit in a post for 3 people to read instead of going to class like a good student? I don't know, maybe I've found this slightly cathartic over the past few years. Goddamnit I need to stop being such a lazy fuck. However I slid through the first couple years with decent grades I've now forgotten and I need to get back on track. Will I ever find love? Do I want to find love? ...nah not right now but finding happiness in some small form besides getting drunk and making regrettable decisions would be nice, and better for my liver. Why am I broke? Why don't I get a fucking job? I need money. Are these the kinda pathetic questions and emotions this dude was tryna bring up to the surface for this album or not? Cause I'm thinking it was meant more to be cryptically nostalgic.

Oh yeah. Finally listened to that new Tim Hecker album and liked it but didn't love it. The last track is pretty annoying in large parts and so are the first couple minutes of the first track but otherwise it's an improvement on the last two. Will relisten to see if my opinion changes.

Best Track: In Mother Earth Phase
Rating: 7.5/10

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 01:25 PM   #722
PixlSM
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite Keysmasher

if you still want 2018 albums theres that c418 release from last month
PixlSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:31 AM   #723
rayword45

anyone here ever see olafur arnalds live? contemplating it for thanksgiving weekend

also next bad review coming today probably

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
Old 11-1-2018, 12:11 AM   #724
rayword45

Day 478: Dead Magic by Anna Von Hausswolff

Going down the 2018 charts on RateYourMusic to judge the internet music nerd consensus taste. This one's pretty high up on the charts, top 5 I believe? I know nothing about whatever the fuck darkwave is other than I've listened to a few albums of the genre, let's check this out.

The first track starts gorgeously, with a spare organ being met with airy, ritual-esque vocals and spare string orchestration. Then it devolves into some weird, agitating accordion-sounding bullshit and meanders for about eleventy-seven years. What a disappointment, although it started well enough. The other super-long song, the centrepiece of the album, has no such annoying passages and is a much heavier, more rock-esque track which fits my taste perfectly.

As for the short songs? Or well, relatively shorter? Closer Källans återuppståndelse is a beautiful funeral dirge which closes perfectly with some feedback and fuzz, The Mysterious Vanishing Of Electra is a haunting ritual chant where the overaffected, screechy vocals actually work, and The Marble Eye just sounds like creepy church music.

Overall? Hit-or-miss. I laud the atmospheric approach to this whole thing but it doesn't make every track automatically good or interesting. I'll return to this for a third time later and see how my opinions shift.

Best Track: Ugly And Vengeful
Rating: 5.5/10

Old 11-6-2018, 12:15 AM   #725
rayword45

Day 479: Year Of The Snitch by Death Grips (Album Choice: Jack L.)

I can't believe this meme hasn't died yet. This album is okay but as someone who likes the genres they're going for this time around, I found myself amazingly disinterested, and I feel like a lot of these songs aren't even fully finished. Some good tracks, a lot more grating tracks, MC Ride screaming and shit over broken drums you know how it goes.

Definitely not my favorite album of theirs.

Best Track: Black Paint
Rating: 4.5/10

Old 11-6-2018, 04:06 PM   #726
PixlSM
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite Keysmasher

seconding the daughters album
fantano liked it so I was surprised when it wasnt garbage
Old 11-12-2018, 10:04 PM   #727
rayword45

Day 480: The Now Now by Gorillaz (Album Choice: MixMasterLar)

The last Gorillaz album I reviewed was Demon Dayz way back in... 2013 maybe? These guys (or this guy?) never really clicked for me on the same level that so many others seem to be on, but they're fun and catchy enough I suppose. Exorbitant ass concert tickets though, definitely not worth it. The last album I remember reviewing recommended by this guy was Becoming X and that grew from decent in my books to an all-time favorite so that makes me hopeful for this one, at least in the long-term.

Wait, this is hip-hop? What the fuck is hip-hop about this? There's literally only one song with any rapping on it, which is probably the worst song here, and these certainly don't feel like hip-hop beats to me. This is more space-synth than anything.

But is it any good? Well, I definitely like this more than I liked Demon Dayz so that's a plus. The best songs like Lake Zurich and Tranz are gloriously future funky, whereas the slow jams like Idaho and One Percent do nothing for me (and like I said before, that one song with Snoop Dogg really sucks). Also lol at the fact that there's a song here called Fire Flies. For it's 41 minute running time, I enjoyed roughly two-thirds of this album, maybe a bit more. That sounds bad, but it's not because the good songs are really fun whereas the lesser tracks are merely unmoving, not offensive.

I hate math homework.

Best Track: Lake Zurich
Rating: 6.5/10

Last edited by rayword45; 11-12-2018 at 10:04 PM..
Old 11-12-2018, 11:02 PM   #728
rayword45

Day 481: Now Only by Mount Eerie

A Crow Looked At Me was one of my favorite albums of 2017, and it was also impossible to review due to how personal the album really sounded.

This is the indirect sequel to that album, I guess as part of Elverum's grieving process. Unfortunately, he used up basically all the good songs on that last album, and the lyrics were better when they weren't originally intended to be lyrics.

Don't feel like writing more considering I'm already hella late on this album anyways. Dude's remarried, clearly he's at the acceptance phase.

Best Track: Crow Pt. 2
Rating: 5/10

Old 11-13-2018, 02:24 AM   #729
QueenAshy
Banned

Camellia - Planet Shaper

Does this album really need an introduction? Just give it a listen.

Also, Pink Floyd - dark side of the moon is good as well
QueenAshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:53 AM   #730
dashoe93
Alphabet Crowd
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

REMNANT by Lorn

Haven't listened to these, but randomly looking for 2018 albums:
Leather Teeth by Carpenter Brut
Lamp Lit Prose by Dirty Projectors
dashoe93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:01 AM   #731
MarioNintendo
Expect delays.
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Darlène - Hubert Lenoir
(It's pretty varied so hopefully you will find something you like in it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgravel View Post
Mario's files are top notch, so every time he submits a file I get excited in my pants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
This guy, MarioNintendo?
Click the bricks

Last edited by MarioNintendo; 11-13-2018 at 11:08 AM..
MarioNintendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:42 AM   #732
PixlSM
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite Keysmasher

William Basinski +Lawrence English - Selva Oscura
is pretty good if you havent heard it yet
Old 11-23-2018, 08:13 PM   #733
rayword45

Day 482: Drip Season 3 by Gunna (Album Choice: college ppl)

30% good

Ratng: 3/10

Old 11-26-2018, 03:44 PM   #734
rayword45

Day 483: Tell Me How You Really Feel by Courtney Barnett

Sometimes I Sit And Think, And Sometimes I Just Sit was an album I loved immediately after hearing it, and it ranked as one of my favorite albums of 2015 at the time. Now? Well, it has some great songs on it for sure but the mood of the album is a bit... odd, like the album feels too smirky for its own good. I still enjoy it, mind you, but it's not the revelation I originally found it to be and I never bothered listening to her collab with Kurt Vile.

This album, while still having some of that same irony that basically defines Barnett's songwriting, comes across as a lot more somber and genuine, at least at first. This leads to arguably three of her greatest tracks ever at the opening of the album, with Hopefulessness standing out as particularly beautiful.

Sadly, after that first 3 track run the album never quite picks up the same steam it had, and worse songwriting makes the preciousness of the lyrics all too apparent. I used to like her raucous cuts the best, but the only track here that utilizes that mood (I'm Not Your Mother, I'm Not Your Bitch) is grating and easily the worst track on the album, the other tracks ranging from meh-to-good. The closer is nice, if not quite as good as the first few songs.

I may not be fawning over this album and it does have some flaws, but over it's still a worthwhile listen if on the strength of its opening alone and I still look forward to her future efforts.

Best Track: I already said it
Rating: 6.5/10

Old 11-29-2018, 03:39 AM   #735
rayword45

Day 484: Remnant by Lorn (Album Choice: dashoe93)

This is definitely one of the better albums I've reviewed this year. The dark ambience tracks are mostly hit-or-miss ([b]I Am A Dagger works as an intro I guess, but it's still boring to be frank), but when the beats come in this album oscillates between utterly infectious and Clark-level moving. It's not a stylistically coherent album and often I can't tell whether dude is tryna be creepy or catchy,

Or maybe that's just my study brain talking, but then I've listened to this thing like 4 times now within the past 2 days and each listen is still great. I will revisit this at least once before year's end I promise.

Also I wanna tripsit my friends to this album, and that's always a good thing.

Best Track: ill edit this tmr
Rating: 8.5/10

Old 11-29-2018, 08:38 AM   #736
dashoe93
Alphabet Crowd
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Hell yeah. Glad you liked it. I love Lorn's stuff. Feel free to check out his other albums whenever you have time if you haven't already. So many good tracks.
dashoe93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 02:53 PM   #737
DeciBel1231
FFR Player

Machine Girl - The Ugly Art
Old 12-4-2018, 01:12 AM   #738
rayword45

Day 485: Some Rap Songs by Earl Sweatshirt

Awful title, he should've went with I Went Outside, I Still Don't Like Shit. Also not fond of the album cover. Also not fond of the fact that this dude went ghost for three and a half year just to drop under 25 minutes of music.

And all that being said, this is still on par with Veteran for my favorite hip-hop release of the year, definitely an improvement over his past work IMO and you know how hard I stan this ugly-ass dude. There's enough thunkpieces out there about this one, I recommend you read none of them and just listen to the damn album.

Best Track: Red Water
Rating: 9/10

Old 12-5-2018, 04:57 PM   #739
Deadlyx39
FFR Player

If you’re interested in Live Albums, you might like ‘Live’ Bullet by Bob Seger or Frampton Comes Alive! by Peter Frampton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Blaster View Post
Why should I care about this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
whats in it for me
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizz13114 View Post
Fun times and meme sluts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
ew meme sluts
ew fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
do you realize how asinine all of your posts are
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
i would also like to take this opportunity to shout out deadlyx39

on the one hand i feel as though your absence from these forums is a shelled victory for all ffr forumites however after careful examination of my internal feeling apparatus i have come to the conclusion that i do in fact miss your posts

[...]

come back

i need to laugh at you

once more

Deadlyx39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-7-2018, 02:30 PM   #740
rayword45

Day 486: You Won't Get What You Want by Daughters (Album Choice: NinjaSM and PixlSM)

This is, as of right now, supposedly the best album of 2018 by consensus. Internet basement music nerd consensus, at least.

The first half honestly somehow just sounded like they were trying to ape a more energetic Swans or something, maybe a bit of Birthday Party in there. The second half of the album is much more interesting and raucous.

I have nothing else to say. It's not bad but the first half is preventing this from ranking on my year end list.

Best Track: The Reason They Hate Me
Rating: 6/10

Last edited by rayword45; 12-11-2018 at 09:12 PM..