Old 04-16-2020, 06:21 AM   #41
Kawakawa
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Favorite Manga?

I definitely think Made In Abyss is the best manga series I've ever read. A good seinen for anyone who likes dark, mysterious, tragedy, and borderline controversial :3

Old 04-17-2020, 08:03 AM   #42
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager
Game Manager, Song Release Coordinator
Game ManagerSimfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawakawa View Post
borderline controversial
What's controversial about it?
DossarLX ODI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 01:03 PM   #43
DaBackpack
~ お ま ん こ ~

Send a message via Skype™ to DaBackpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mourningfall View Post
What is your favorite manga?

Mine's 'Dororo' by Osamu Tezuka. this 845 page behemoth sits proudly on my bedside table at all times.
It's a fantastic read I'd recommend it to anyone who appreciates the astro boy era of manga.
Dororo is a goddamn masterpiece. "Black Jack" is also a classic.

Devilman and Cutie Honey are also solid. I have a fuckton of respect for Go Nagai... the man literally invented ecchi and mecha manga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMasterLar View Post
Whenever this thread gets bumped I feel inclined to see if my answer would be different, but in this case I think Diamond is Unbreakable is still my favorite, and I will forever love Great Teacher Onizuka and Kenshin even if at times their age holds them back (GTO is actually pretty bad about that)
Have you read Steel Ball Run yet? It's the absolute pinnacle of the Jojo series (and manga in general). Diamond is Unbreakable is my second favorite still; it has my favorite overall cast (<3 Rohan Kishibe) and the anime ironed out a lot of the pacing issues (e.g. introducing Yoshikage Kira earlier than literally 50% through the story)

My all-time favorite Jojo character after all these years is still Bruno Buccellati. I hope to cosplay as him someday. He's a true role model, absolute mom material.

VERY IMPORTANT EDIT: I almost forgot. Absolutely check out Gal Cleaning! It's a fucking rollercoaster of emotions for all the wrong reasons.

The plot itself is actually surprisingly interesting: the MC is forced to live with this spacey gal character, which sounds generic but the MC doesn't give a fuck about her and only cares about cleaning up the messes she makes in his house. The dude is just a master at cleaning his house. That's his thing. Entire chapters dedicated to "oh no, how do I get this juice stain out of my blouse?" and then him explaining the God-given blessing of lemon water and baking soda. He's the goddamn Sherlock Holmes of housekeeping. The manga is wholesome, informational as fuck and the MC is a massive chad.

Unfortunately the publishers announced they'd be axing the series after its conclusion due to low sales. This announcement occurred partway through the syndication and... uh, the mangaka had a fucking SEISMIC MELTDOWN at the news. There's literally no other way I can describe it. The ending of the manga goes off the fucking rails, driving the readers into the realm of LEGENDARY BAD.

You will notice that the MyAnimeList posting tells you the manga has 25 chapters. You will also notice that the manga itself only goes up to "Chapter 10." Why is this, you might ask.

The answer is because Chapter 8 is actually 15 chapters long. It starts at "Chapter 8" and ends on "Chapter 8.99." I'm not fucking with you. How do you prevent your manga from being cancelled? Easy, make it such that it never fucking ends, give us the Sexual Horror equivalent of Haruhi's Endless Eight. And yeah, throughout Chapter 8 we get to see the mangaka losing his goddamn mind in real-time, all while we're subjected to absolute storytelling ASS. As an experience, reading Gal Cleaning! Chapter 8 is like reading the entirety of Berserk's Golden Age Arc except every character is fucking Casca.

I had the absolute pleasure of witnessing this disaster as it unfolded in real-time, and I had a support group of some IRL friends to weaken the impact. It's the manga equivalent of watching a squirrel get run over by an 18-wheeler and staring at its dismembered lower-half, just waiting for it to stop twitching. There's just... nothing like it. This dude from the MAL forums described it best:

Quote:
its the evangelion of gyaru manga
So yeah, this was important enough to hijack my entire post. Godspeed, Comrades.

DOUBLE EDIT: I turned this into an actual MAL review because fuck it, nothing actually matters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogy View Post
no one cares
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWG Dan Hedgehog View Post
there are 743 matches for hedgehog suicide on deviantart
that's kind of a sad statistic

Last edited by DaBackpack; 04-17-2020 at 01:57 PM..
DaBackpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:02 PM   #44
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to MixMasterLar Send a message via Skype™ to MixMasterLar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBackpack View Post

Have you read Steel Ball Run yet? It's the absolute pinnacle of the Jojo series (and manga in general). Diamond is Unbreakable is my second favorite still; it has my favorite overall cast (<3 Rohan Kishibe) and the anime ironed out a lot of the pacing issues (e.g. introducing Yoshikage Kira earlier than literally 50% through the story)

My all-time favorite Jojo character after all these years is still Bruno Buccellati. I hope to cosplay as him someday. He's a true role model, absolute mom material.
I have read Steel Ball Run and it is absolutely one of the better parts. The only reason I want Part 6 to be animated is so we can get closer to Steel Ball Run the Animation

Buccellati and Narancia are the best two characters from Part 5. All time favorite Jojo character? not sure atm. Buccellati, Rohan, Gyro, Joseph, and Okuyasu come to mind as particularly enjoyable though.

(it's probably Bruno tbf)

Facebook / Youtube / Twitter

MixMasterLar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:00 PM   #45
gold stinger
Signature Extraordinare~~
Song Submission & Events Manager
Game ManagerEvent StaffSimfile JudgeFFR Wiki StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to gold stinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DossarLX ODI View Post
What's controversial about it?
late af answering, but it's a Seinen portrayed as a Shonen initially. Some content could be considered Gekiga (strictly adult content, think berserk).

Obviously gets controversial when it looks like PG13 content and then it escalates to 18+ content.

- Tosh 2014

Last edited by gold stinger; 05-24-2020 at 10:07 PM..
gold stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:11 AM   #46
Gingerham
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher

Berserk for sure
Gingerham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 01:40 PM   #47
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager
Game Manager, Song Release Coordinator
Game ManagerSimfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger View Post
late af answering, but it's a Seinen portrayed as a Shonen initially. Some content could be considered Gekiga (strictly adult content, think berserk).

Obviously gets controversial when it looks like PG13 content and then it escalates to 18+ content.
"Anime is for kids!!1!!1!1!!!"

As long as it doesn't have female nipples or male/female genitals, then it's good under Japan's laws. Lots of series abuse that trick.

Last edited by DossarLX ODI; 05-27-2020 at 01:41 PM..
DossarLX ODI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-8-2020, 03:19 PM   #48
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to MixMasterLar Send a message via Skype™ to MixMasterLar

I actually started reading Berserk. Amazon was selling the Deluxe Editions at pretty solid prices and I decided it was time to see what the deal was.

Holy fuck

I don't know if I saw DBP's Gal Cleaning edit but remind me in a few months to check that shit out if I don't post about it.

Facebook / Youtube / Twitter

MixMasterLar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 01:15 PM   #49
The_IL_Guy
FFR Veteran
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

one piece
The_IL_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-3-2020, 04:56 PM   #50
katanaeyegaming
#FearTheWyvern
FFR Veteran

I don't read many mangas but 2 I can recommend are Berserk and Darker than Black
katanaeyegaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-5-2020, 05:54 PM   #51
Shadow_God_10
Somewhere, but not here
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Shadow_God_10

I am sure I've posted here before about my many rated 18+ manga

Dance in the Vampire Bund is a fantastic read

EDIT: I have indeed mentioned Dance in the Vampire Bund. Oh well.

I guess I've been sucked into the world of doujinshi lately, original works are fun to read
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svaz View Post
more like Shad-hoe God am I right haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellon_collie View Post
TIL women have breasts because of horniness
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugkid666 View Post
sunfan I fucked up
Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMasterLar View Post
Xel claiming that I am incapable of making mistakes and using that logic to paint me as scum does things to my body that I thought only Lewdy's stash could do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 View Post
your hentai collection is commendable. i am both in awe and afraid of you

Last edited by Shadow_God_10; 12-5-2020 at 05:56 PM..
Shadow_God_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 06:46 PM   #52
Aleran
Banned

Fullmetal Alchemist is my all time favorite manga.

It's the story of two brothers living in a world where Alchemy is a real working magical form of science. They are on a quest to find the philosopher stone, an item that is said to give unlimited material for creating things with alchemy. They want this stone because they lost their body parts in a failed alchemy experiment when they were children and now need the stone to get them back.

During their search they meet a lot of interesting people and uncover a conspiracy surrounding he military controlling the country.

It's the best story I've ever read. The characters are memorable, the ideas are unique and the writing is amazing.
Aleran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 03:37 AM   #53
Kerori
FFR Player

I really enjoy rereading "Our Wonderful Days". Very cute feel good yuri manga
Kerori is offline   Reply With Quote