Old 11-27-2023, 02:09 PM   #1561
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Recommend me some 2022 albums +1000th album halp

Day 1057: Madres by Sofia Kourtesis

Like the last album I reviewed, I wasn't immediately floored by this release. I enjoyed every track on it to at least some degree, but I wasn't in love with the album as a whole. Where this one differs is that repeat listens of Miss Diamond had no effect on my opinion whatsoever, whereas extra time spent on this collection of songs revealed something else to me.

Unfortunately, I don't know what that revelation might be or how to put it into words except "this is better than I initially gave it credit for". Really, I think I just have come to appreciate the fact that not a single song here feels superfluous, along with how well-done the sequencing is. Also, those vocal bits are truly ethereal, with some parts reminding me of the first time I ever listened to Kelly Lee Owens whose 2020 release remains my favorite of that year (and not just because I ate ass to it). Is this as good as Inner Song? No, but I wouldn't say it's comparable to that at all - instead I'd just say this is a strong, confident release that deserves more than just a passing glance.

Best Track: How Music Makes You Feel Better
Rating: 8.5/10

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 04:39 PM   #1562
rayword45

Day 1058: Everyone's Crushed by Water From Your Eyes (Album Choice: robertsona)

It only hit me a few weeks ago that I saw these guys exactly 362 days ago from today, when they were the second opener for the second time I saw Palm. RIP to that band, gonna miss them as they made two of my all-time favorite albums, one of which is my top 2022 release. That being said, considering how long it took them to write enough content for said 2022 release despite using a chunk of stuff, or at least two songs that they ended up using as singles, that was written and played live around the time of their most popular and most mid album (2018's Rock Island) perhaps it's for the best and we'll get to see some even better solo work from them down the line. Or perhaps they'll all fade into obscurity, who knows?

But this isn't me reviewing Palm! My predominant recollection of the Water For Your Eyes set in 2022 was that it was extremely abrasive and surprisingly heavy for a two-piece with no drummer or bassist. I thought they were cool but I was more into the way their soundscapes filled the room and made my skin vibrate than anything songwriting-wise, as the songs dragged on and on and on. I double-checked and they played 4 songs over a half-hour. That might work if you're a stoner metal outfit or ambient musician or something, but these guys are supposed to be hipster pop.

As a result, this really went against my expectations, as it's 9 songs and just barely over a half-hour total, with only two songs reaching past the 4-minute mark. And also, it definitely IS hipster pop with elements of noise, instead of what sounded like a noise/drone experiment with the slightest consideration to composition. Despite not being nearly as crushing as they were on stage, this actually manages to sound fuller due to the programming and mixing allowing for the minimal drum programming and low-end to come through past anything noisy here.

So I clearly enjoy this band more recorded than live, but what do I think overall? Well, I like it. A pretty good amount at that. The first few tracks are easily my least favorite and initially left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth as it gave me the impression that this project was drenched in irony, but that was a misreading and those songs were earnestly lame. Starting around track 4 this thing picks up a LOT and for such a short release they manage to cover a lot of ground - walls of feedback are all over this thing, but some songs are straight indie pop, some are more rhythmic and dance-y (though I would hate to see the crowd at one of their shows try to dance), and hell the last song sounds like fucking Man Or Astro-man? or something. And as a bonus, the longest track here, which is the penultimate cut so I assume intended to be the emotional climax/closer, is fucking gorgeous.

Now if only those first 3 songs were better.

Best Track: 14
Rating: 8/10

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
Old 11-28-2023, 11:38 AM   #1563
rayword45

Day 1059: It's the End of the World, But It's a Beautiful Day by Thirty Seconds to Mars

At first I wanted to review the absolute worst album of the year according to the RateYourMusic bottom charts, but the #1 spot was taken by Tom McDolan and I do not currently have the desire to listen to a racist. Then #2 was Sixixnineine and I do not currently have the desire to listen to a pedophile. Then I just didn't feel like listening to whatever 3 and 4 were and #5 was Lil Pump 2 which I already determined was fairly bad but not totally irredeemable. Nothing with Pump Rock x Heavy Metal could ever be a flat 0-1/10 that song is just too good.

Regardless, I have way too many memories of this band and their fans from my younger years, and absolutely none of these memories are positive in any way whatsoever. Also, my excuse for not listening to Pedophile Ronald McDonald is no longer valid considering that I forgot that this was Jared Leto's project... Hey, with all the 4+ word band names from this era, a mix-up is unsurprising.

Anyways, for the most part, I don't think this is THAT much worse than their peak popularity stuff, but it's still pretty fucking bad lol. For the most part it's incredibly bland electropop, but there's something about the way it's performed and/or produced that makes it quickly grow irritating. There's like 2 or 3 tracks that I'd go as nice as saying "that was nothing more than a mid pop song" but the majority of this just pisses me off, even though it shouldn't merit such a strong reaction since it's also so damn uninteresting.

Maybe my disdain for this is a subconcious reaction to the fact that I'm fucking listening to Jared Leto.

I don't really want to write any more.

Best Track: the closer was... almost okay
Rating: 2/10

Old 11-28-2023, 06:54 PM   #1564
rayword45

Day 1060: Census Designated by Jane Remover

I wanted to like this, and maybe I would've if these songs weren't all way longer than they needed to be... But honestly probably not, for every element of this album that I enjoy or at least think is cool and/or creative, there's another thing that's just irritating. If you condensed these songs all down to half length then you'd just be barraged with annoyances twice as fast, and if you cut out said annoyances entirely you'd basically just have a completely different genre of music. Credit where credit is due, this is at the very least a very realized and very individual expression of one's artistic desires.

Gonna stop here because the more I write the more likely I am to be murdered by some terminally online late zoomer with 2000s envy.

Best Track: Lips
Rating: 3.5/10

Old 11-28-2023, 08:36 PM   #1565
rayword45

Day 1061: The Greater Wings by Julie Byrne

It's pretty, but it's pretty dull.

Best Track: is she related to David?
Rating: 5/10

Old 11-29-2023, 06:58 AM   #1566
rayword45

Day 1062: Objects Without Pain by Great Falls

And here we have another album where I can clearly tell that it is absolutely a triumph for the artist in terms of nailing the exact sound they wanted to make, while also not "clicking" with whatever they're going for from a personal, subjective standpoint at all. There's so many elements in here that should be exactly what I love - aggressive noise rock that doesn't let its (very obvious) artsy side overtake the whole "rock" part of it (or the noise part), sludgy guitars that fill your whole skull up with their tone, structural experimentation that comes off as refreshing and innovative while remaining unpretentious to the core, et cetera et cetera.

This really is just a weird one to score, and as a result I feel as if it's almost folly to say much more. This album isn't for me, but it's definitely well-done enough that I'm positive that someone who is a bit more in love with this band's specific style/genre mishmash/tone/atmosphere/whatever would be able to praise this much more

Best Track: poop on my butt
Rating: 6/10

Old 11-29-2023, 03:40 PM   #1567
rayword45

Day 1063: Microworlds by CloZee

This is a very solid collection of songs that is decent enough listened to while working on headphones but is very obviously going to be much more enjoyable heard blasting from a dark stage. I feel as if CloZee could make something more home-listener oriented if she wanted to, but I mean, this is still pretty good? And since the money is in touring I assume that's her focus, so I'm just glad this seems at least modestly coherent as a singular work.

Best Track: Antares
Rating: 7/10, but her closing performance at EZoo 2022 was an easy 9.5/10, and shame on all the basic Asian bros and basic Asian bitches who went and saw Midtin Garrix play the exact same setlist he had been using for at least a year prior. When I saw him perform an identical or nearly-identical set in May 2022 it was like a 5/10. I laugh even harder at the Asians who saw that Garrix set, then bought tickets for his official EZoo afterparty in Brooklyn for over $100, including a handful who had already paid $60-80 for other afterparties. Keep in mind that's BEFORE Ubers are factored in - which, going from uptown Manhattan down to Brooklyn, would cost like $80-90+ due to surges after EZoo gets out. When a group of like 30 Asians told me about their plan and tried to get me to join in, I told them how bro played the same set at EZoo as he did in DC that May, and told them that a quick Google search indicated that his Brooklyn show was going to be the same set they had just watched less than 2 hours prior. They all said that I was wrong, and riddle me this: what, WHAT, did they bitch about the next day? Well actually, they bitched about a multitude of annoyances that were the fault of Brooklyn Mirage, a place that I always shit on for their various sketchy, unethical and/or mafia-esque practices, but what was the only complaint they had that was Garrix's fault?! I'm sorry if I've already told you this story, but right now I'm just writing this because it's mad funny that the rating section is the longest part.

Old 12-2-2023, 04:14 PM   #1568
rayword45

Day 1064: Space Heavy by King Krule

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonE156 View Post
you should listen to that new Paramore album This Is Why
For the record, I listened to this when it was still relatively new, didn't write anything, listened to it again a few days ago, and still didn't write anything and now don't have the motivation to. Upon first listen I gave it like a 5 but I think that was too harsh and bumped that to a 6.5/10.

This on the other hand, I listened to when it was still relatively new, didn't write anything, listened to it again a few days ago, still didn't write anything and didn't have the motivation to, and just gave it a THIRD listen and still didn't feel like writing anything. But after three listens, I'm counting this as an entry because fuck everyone else this is my thread I make the rules.

Best Track: the 2020 album was better

Old 12-3-2023, 12:02 AM   #1569
rayword45

Day 1065: SAVED! by Reverend Kristin Michael Hayter

This is a well-crafted, deeply emotional piece of art that deserves all the praise it's been getting, although it definitely is a step down from the more obviously personal and harrowing Sinner Get Ready. However, there are times when the tape effects get a bit too over-the-top for their own good and man, I just can't imagine listening to this more than a few times a year. I respect this more than I enjoy it.

Best Track: I Will Be With You Always
Rating: 7/10

Old 12-4-2023, 10:55 PM   #1570
rayword45

Day 1066: Ley by Approaching Mountains

This was great for curing my headache at work today. And good on the train. So it's good.

Best Track: yes

Old 12-5-2023, 06:47 PM   #1571
rayword45

Day 1067: I Killed Your Dog by L'Rain

This is lush, gorgeous, tight, consistent, frequently engaging, never boring, just damn near fantastic. Don't have much else to say except that I can't pick a single favorite track. But this is really top-notch shit.

Best Track: Just listen to the whole damn thing
Rating: 9/10

Old 12-10-2023, 03:00 PM   #1572
rayword45

Day 1068: new Carbon n Based Life forms

You know, I was thinking about how one of the next times I do a review, before the end of the year, I want to include scores for the 2023 albums I've heard that I didn't even bother to write anything for when I listened to them.

Given the sad state of these reviews now, what's the fuckin difference?

Best Track: sug
Rating: 7.5/10

Old 01-2-2024, 11:46 AM   #1573
rayword45

Day 1069: No Scavenging by Artifact Memory

Starting off 2024 with a 2024 album review! At least, that's what I wanted to do, but I can't write anything about this thing other than the fact that it is indeed is a "sound collage" album and the fact that it did nothing for me, except occasionally make me wonder if this was an attempt to be a meme.

That being said, here comes my ratings of 2023 albums for which I didn't bother to write even this much for. Most of these I listened to multiple times, but not all of them. A lot of these I listened to forever ago, forgot what they sounded like, and relistened again within the past couple of months. Others I wrote down a score a while ago and haven't heard since before this fall. Whatever. I also completely randomized this order so nobody would be able to guess the order I listened to these in.

Maps by Billy Woods & Kenny Segal: 8/10
s*x m*ney dr*gs by Lucki: 4.5/10
A Great Chaos by Ken Carson: 4/10 (smd constellious)
Mansion Musik by Trippie Redd: 2/10
Saint Michael by Trippie Redd: 2.5/10
Even God Has a Sense of Humor by Maxo: 5/10
Coast 2 Coast by Pearl & The Oysters: 6/10
Bridge Underwater by Club Casualties: 5.5/10
Rhizomes by Aho Ssan: 8/10
Godcaster by Godcaster: 8/10 (LIVE THEY'RE AN 11/10 GO SEE THEM LIVE MOTHERFUCKER)
RAT WARS by HEALTH: 5.5/10
Post-American by MSPAINT: 6.5/10 (But I must say, this could easily be an 8-9/10 if you cut it down to an EP about 50-60% as long. Also, unlike the oft-compared Machine Girl this dude is better live, WAY better)
Gumbo by Young Nudy: 4/10
WEEDKILLER by Ashnikko: 3.5/10
Today I Laid Down by bl4ck m4rket c4rt: 7/10 (How does this qualify as an album and not an EP? It's just over 20 minutes and only 6 songs)
F65 by IDK: 5.5/10
Heaven Knows by PinkPantheress: 8.5/10
Hood Hottest Princess by Sexyy Red: 3/10 (fuck u melon)
COI by Coi Leray: 3.5/10
Cracker Island by Gorillaz: 4/10
Welcome 2 Collegrove by 2 Chainz & Lil Wayne: 4/10
A Gift & a Curse by Gunna: 3/10 (a friend of mine told me to listen to this one and I find that his recs are 50/50 for me in terms of my enjoyment, this one falls squarely into the "no" camp)
Farm Fatale by horsegiirL: 6.5/10
5AV0RY by C3NTELL4: 7/10
Girls Love Jungle by dazegxd & gum.mp3: 6/10
Nekkuja by Marina Herlop: 7.5/10 (this one will either be a noticeable grower or a "I forgot this existed" by 2025)
Dethalbum IV by Dethklok: 5.5/10
i've seen a way by Mandy, Indiana: 6.5/10
We Cater To Cowards by Oozing Wound: 7.5/10
Last by Loma Prieta: 5/10
Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd by Lana Del Rey: 4/10 (fuck u twice melon)
That! Feels Good! by Jessie Ware: 6/10
If Looks Could Kill by Destroy Lonely: 3/10
To What End by Oddisee: 5/10
Wallsocket by underscores: 4.5/10
The People's Champ by Quinn XCII: 2.5/10
Till I'm Dead by RXKNephew: 5.5/10
Fanfare by Dorian Electra: 6/10
The Harmony Codex by Steven Wilson: 6.5/10
The Aux by Blockhead: 7/10
Zig by Poppy: 4/10
Speed Run by Frost Children: 6/10
Bunny by Beach Fossils: 5/10
My Soft Machine by Arlo Parks: 7/10
4D by Blank Banshee: 7.5/10
Pink Friday 2 by Nicki Minaj: 2.5/10
Feed the Beast by Kim Petras: 1.5/10
lord of the shithouse by Draag Me: 7/10
Raven by Kelela: 5/10
The Rime of Memory by Panopticon: 7/10
Food for Worms by Shame: 5.5/10
PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, ligma by King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard Bobizzard Fee Fi Fizzard Tizzard Sizzurp sugma: 4.5/10
Exul by Ne Obliviscaris: 6/10
I Hope You Can Forgive Me by Madison McFerrin: 7/10 (fantastic live performance, though not as drastic an improvement as Godcaster)
Failed at Math(s) by Panchiko: 5.5/10
SPELLLING & the Mystery School by SPELLLING: 5/10
The Age of Pleasure by Janelle Monáe: 5/10
Scarlet by Doja Cat: 2.5/10
ILLENIUM by Illenium: 2.5/10
Data by Tainy: 6/10
We Buy Diabetic Test Strips by Armand Hammer: 7/10
Aftërlyfe by Yeat: 2/10
How To See Through Walls by Windows96: 7.5/10
Bless This Mess by U.S. Girls: 5/10
New Blue Sun by André 3000: 6/10
But Here We Are by Foo Fighters: 6/10
The Ballad of Darren by Blur: 5/10
One Wayne G by Mac DeMarco: 3/10
Five Easy Hot Dogs by Mac DeMarco: 2/10
forest spirit, sun on your back by forest spirit, sun on your back: 7/10 (less consistent than most 7s, if they polish and refine their next drop it might be a huge winner)
Fantasy by M83: 4/10
Powders by Eartheater: 5/10
Cousin by Wilco: 5/10
Destiny by DJ Sabrina the Teenage DJ: 6.5/10
Living Without by Endless, Nameless: 7/10
Super Key Generator by Kobaryo: 8/10
I Was Mature for My Age, But I Was Still a Child by Grouptherapy: 8/10
Broken By Desire To Be Heavenly Sent by Lewis Capaldi: 2.5/10
Austin by Post Malone: 2.5/10
Rush! by Måneskin: 2/10
Something to Give Each Other by Troye Sivan: 2/10
So Much (For) Stardust by Fall Out Boy: 1.5/10
PORTALS by Melanie Martinez: 1/10
Jackman. by Jack Harlow: 0.5/10
Leyenda viva by 6ix9ine: -49.5/10
For All the Dogs by Drake: -50/10

Bolding all this shit took longer than the whole rest of this review.

Best Track: Bin Chickens made me giggle once
Rating: 4/10

Last edited by rayword45; 01-2-2024 at 12:12 PM..
Old 01-26-2024, 05:03 PM   #1574
robertsona
missa in h-moll
FFR Simfile Author

yeah, godcaster kick ass live.
Old 02-6-2024, 11:36 AM   #1575
rayword45

Day 1070: Wall of Eyes by not-Radiohead

I remember back in November 2022 these guys played one of the few venues in NYC that I have yet to go to, same one where friends of mine saw Dethklok and BABYMETAL, and I wanted to go but all the tickets on resale were over $100 which I refused to pay so I saw The Band Formerly Known As Viet Cong instead for like $20. Then in July they played a bigger venue and sales were so bad that they gave away like hundreds of tickets for free, so I snagged a pair, then realized I couldn't make it as I already had obligations to take my buddy to a punk show then to see CFCF and Cut Copy play DJ sets right after, so I ended up re-giving those away. So I've still never seen these guys play. Or Radiohead for that matter. Oh well.

Anyways, this is easily my favorite project from ol' droopy eyes and the one other Radiohead member involved since In Rainbows. Reception seems to be pretty split on whether this is an improvement or a downgrade from their 2022 debut but I think the two albums are too different to really compare. But dang, the emotional content here hit me hard, a feeling that is only aided by how theatrical and crescendo-heavy every single song here is. Great start to major/mainstream releases for the year.

Best Track: balls

Old 02-27-2024, 12:24 PM   #1576
rayword45

Day 1071: Girl With No Face by Allie X

At this point, I basically only post here when there's an album I hope to get second opinions on from one of the 3 people that still read this. This has overtaken not-Radiohead for the current #1 album of the year on RYM but I know for a fact that it's not gonna last long on the throne. This is 100% not the type of music that internet nerds will admit to enjoying more than sadboi indie like Wall of Eyes, but it's something I personally enjoy more in this particular case. Lots of fun, no bad tracks, and the perfect length at just shy of 45 minutes. I don't have any complaints!

Eventually I'll dump my ratings for albums I've listened to since January that I can't be assed to write at least 2 sentences for, even though nobody cares.

Best Track: Off With Her Tits (there's several other competitors but I'm picking this one solely so I can write that phrase here)
Rating: 8.5/10

Old 03-13-2024, 01:25 PM   #1577
rayword45

Day 1072: Where we've been, Where we go from here by Friko

is this Animal Collective

Best Track: Transphobic Techno (Bitch Got A Penis)